• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MPAA on the offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurent

The Motion Pictures Association of America that is (I hate when people doesn't define the accronyms they use in a new thread). This is the first time I see this, but an actual ad saying they shut down the website you are trying to reach? This is the case with Loki Torrent (now dead, so I'm not in infringement with forum rules): http://www.lokitorrent.com/

i_logo.gif

hide.gif

hand.gif

There are websites that provide legal downloads. This is not one of them.

This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures. The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity. Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous. Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop.
mpaa.gif

Is this old news? I knew they were mad about it, but like I said, I never saw something quite explicit...

MIMIC

Banned
Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous.

Unless you are sharing your files (via p2p) or having your computer broken into (which is illegal), you are VERY anonymous. :)

ManaByte

Gold Member
MIMIC said:
Unless you are sharing your files (via p2p) or having your computer broken into (which is illegal), you are VERY anonymous. :)

They can get your IP from Bittorrent if you are downloading. Actually, anyone downloading from that tracker can.

Kon Tiki

Banned
stifles creativity

:lol

Ya, blame that on downloaders.

They also forgot to mention, it feeds terrorism, causes AIDS, offends Jesus, causes acne, will turn you into a sex deprived rapist.

Did I forget one?

MIMIC

Banned
I don't use bittorrent to download movies (IRC is where it's at :D). I only use bittorrent for recently aired TV show episodes.

Willco

Hollywood Square
MIMIC said:
I don't use bittorrent to download movies (IRC is where it's at :D). I only use bittorrent for recently aired TV show episodes.

You do know that's still illegal.

atomsk

Party Pooper
from mpaa.org
The MPAA's efforts to date have resulted in a 40 percent reduction in the number of servers that continue to operate. One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent—one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

now THATS fucked up. people paid the site money, and got all their records handed over. personally, i never got any movies from loki, nor do i particularly download movies as it is.

i'd say this is a smarter strategy than the riaa, but it's still gonna be like squishing just one cockroach... :lol

Laurent

atomsk said:
from mpaa.org

now THATS fucked up. people paid the site money, and got all their records handed over. personally, i never got any movies from loki, nor do i particularly download movies as it is.

i'd say this is a smarter strategy than the riaa, but it's still gonna be like squishing just one cockroach... :lol
No, you had to register, but it was free...

duckroll

Hahahahahahaha, Lokitorrents got owned hard! Props to the MPAA for not only owning them but providing us entertainment on the site while they're at it! :lol :lol :lol

Ferny84

Banned
Oh oh...my brother downloaded a couple of movies from there this past weekend...

We live in Canada, are we in trouble?

Why is it I feel a little scared now? Like in two or three minutes an unmarked van will crash through my sliding glass door and begin spewing black ops types with little MPAA or RIAA patches on their shoulders. Since I've gone and downloaded various anime shows and movies as well as some various anime soundtracks.

There really aren't any measures that we can take to stay a bit more anonymous?

Doth Togo

The Guivre said:
Why is it I feel a little scared now? Like in two or three minutes an unmarked van will crash through my sliding glass door and begin spewing black ops types with little MPAA or RIAA patches on their shoulders. Since I've gone and downloaded various anime shows and movies as well as some various anime soundtracks.

If you insist on downloading, keep your shared items on the low count so that you won't be seen as a high profile sharer.

pestul

Ferny84 said:
Oh oh...my brother downloaded a couple of movies from there this past weekend...

We live in Canada, are we in trouble?
Our law doesn't protect us from using Bittorrent.. you are still illegally sharing the file with someone else. In Canada (or anywhere for that matter), your safest bet is IRC.. that is if you want to partake in illegal activities.

Doth Togo

pestul said:
Our law doesn't protect us from using Bittorrent.. you are still illegally sharing the file with someone else. In Canada (or anywhere for that matter), your safest bet is IRC.. that is if you want to partake in illegal activities.

No, IRC is easy as hell to track. FTP is much more difficult to find.

Laurent

The Guivre said:

Seriously, I think the MPAA can only do something if you downloaded a movie that was produced or distributed by a Motion Pictures Association of America member. That's not the case with the majority of Anime you will find online... As long as they aren't distributed in the country. Then again, is any corporation that distribute movies in America are automaticly member of the MPAA?

Speaking of the RIAA, you got to love this website: http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/

Che

Banned
First of all MPAA can fuck off. Second I don't know how much to point this out that if you're using P2P networks you need Protowall to stay anonymous. And third the possibility of getting caught by these fuckers is almost the same of getting run down by a car.

pestul

Ferny84 said:
Uhh, isnt BitTorrent still a form of P2P?

I thought P2P was ok in Canada.
Nope.. P2P is not okay. You're allowed to download, but you can't share your content. That's why I was saying IRC is okay. We are actually allowed to download the content (even if it was from the MPAA themselves).. I don't think this will last too much longer however.

Pimpwerx

The MPAA can't sue en-mass. Not effectively anyway. The RIAA had an easier time tracking people and still only managed to scare the cowards. Besides which, suing opens up all sorts of PR problems, like when they sue grandma who's just trying to catch a hard-to-find indie flick. Like suing little girls for sharing a few songs. It doesn't go over with the general public. Besides which, the probability of being caught is still immensely slim. They can't stop every tracker out there...it's impossible. They shutdown Lokitorrent, a wave of people will just migrate to the next best thing. The torrents will be re-upped, and the party goes on. There are some overseas sites like PB that simply don't give a shit, and are untouchable by the MPAA/RIAA so far. These scare tactics work on the morons or the people who host tons of files off their computer. If you're using BT, just be smart. I usually share to a 2:1 ratio or so, then drop it. My upload speed isn't that great, not to mention, with only 60GB of space, I gotta eventually dump to DVD anyway to free up room. Regular P2P is almost worthless, and I usually only share files out of a temp folder. So the only files being shared are the ones I dloaded most recently. Everything else gets sorted and moved to permanent, unshared folders. They can only make it more difficult, it'll never stop. And that puts a big smile on my face. :D PEACE.

Che

Banned
atomsk said:
i'm talkin about the people who donated to help keep the site alive

I donated money to them and I think they were money well spent. Do these assholes think that they're gonna sue me for donating to a freaking site? You can kiss my hairy ass bitches. This is Europe and corporations aren't reigning this region (yet).

PS. My ass isn't that hairy.

Raven.

Banned
This is ridiculous, they should protect their properties better(WITHOUT violating our fair use rights either). What they're doing is akin to someone leaving their wallet full of cash in the sidetwalk and then suing whoever picks it up for stealing. You know if you leave a 42-inch plasma lying in the middle of the street with your name on it, you can't honestly expect no one'd take it.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Laurent said:
Speaking of the RIAA, you got to love this website: http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/

ah, i remember sending in all kinds of corrections to that site. they listed The Pillows as being 'not ok' to download, which is bullshit (though Penalty Life is supposedly being released here by Geneon later in the year OMG)

Suerte

atomsk said:
ah, i remember sending in all kinds of corrections to that site. they listed The Pillows as being 'not ok' to download, which is bullshit (though Penalty Life is supposedly being released here by Geneon later in the year OMG)

Yeah, they don't seem to be too accurate with things being listed as "safe" either :\ Still, it's quite helpful.

Rorschach

atomsk said:
from mpaa.org

The funniest part is that the people that donated thought it was so the guy could "fight the good fight." I think it was something over 40k that was donated for "legal fees." And on top of that, they get turned in...

No honor among theives. :p

Raven.

Banned
Hmmm, those logs wouldn't happen to have user registration info(particularly email address), now would they?

border

No, IRC is easy as hell to track. FTP is much more difficult to find.
How can someone really track you in IRC? Someone can see you IP, but they won't be able to see the connection between you and whatever F-serve you are connecting to.

Newsgroups are the best and the safest, for my money. In theory I guess their logs could be subpoenaed, but most of the big providers say they don't keep logs anyway.

I never really understood why people thought IRC was so great. Fserves have queues, connections can be crappy (or will at least vary in quality), and hunting stuff down can be a bit of a pain.

Azih

Wasn't the latest judicial ruling in Canada something akin to 'no difference between putting files in a shared folder and putting a photocopier in a library'. Or has that been overruled by a higher court?

shuri

Banned
What they dont realise is that by shutting down those big mainstream sites, it will make some people to actually go out and buy dvdr copies from real criminals instead of downloading them for fre.e

Azih

Naked Shuriken said:
What they dont realise is that by shutting down those big mainstream sites, it will make some people to actually go out and buy dvdr copies from real criminals instead of downloading them for fre.e
:lol So true. Why did I never think of this before?

Laurent

Divus Masterei said:
Hmmm, those logs wouldn't happen to have user registration info(particularly email address), now would they?
Of course, but you never use an email adress with private information linked to it... I've used something free like HotPOP...

Kon Tiki

Banned
border said:
How can someone really track you in IRC? Someone can see you IP, but they won't be able to see the connection between you and whatever F-serve you are connecting to.

Eggdrops can monitor ctcp/dcc commands in he channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom