• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mummy reboot won't be a period piece AND SET IN AMERICA!?, says Len Wiseman

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/15/len-wiseman-talks-the-mummy-reboot

http://www.movieweb.com/news/exclus...-epic-horror-movie-set-in-present-day-america

Underworld and Total Recall director Len Wiseman has revealed that his reboot of The Mummy won't be a period piece like the last three entries in the Universal franchise.

Speaking to Movieweb, Wiseman said, "The difference between the two, if The Mummy is to be the next movie for me, is that The Mummy is a completely different film. It is a modern day take. It doesn't have anything to do with the Brendan Fraser films, and it is not a remake of any kind."

The director added, "It's horror. Its epic. It's more of a modern day version of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating."

Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) is scripting for producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (Star Trek, Transformers) and Mummy series veterans Sean Daniels and Jim Jacks.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I like epic horror adventure. On the other hand... the writer of Prometheus is writing it in the modern day.

I don't know, my friends. I just don't know.

I'm gonna look at pictures of Rachel Weisz now.

Edit: I read the rest of the interview on Movieweb. America!? But he never mentions America. But it's in the headline. I am so... confused.

Well, as long as it's a good epic horror adventure movie, I'm in. The first Mummy film is the perfect horror adventure.

Ridley327

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/15/len-wiseman-talks-the-mummy-reboot

I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I like epic horror adventure. On the other hand... the writer of Prometheus is writing it in the modern day.

I don't know, my friends. I just don't know.

I'm gonna look at pictures of Rachel Weisz now.

Well, Spaihts was the more agreeable half of the Prometheus script.

Your first concern, however, should be that Len Wiseman is directing it, for he is terrible and will always be terrible.

JdFoX187

Banned
Saw this earlier today. I didn't know about it taking place in America, but I had heard about it being a modern take. I don't mind it being in present day. There's several things they could do with that beyond the Indiana Jones ripoff that the last trilogy became. But I just don't know how you set an entertaining "Mummy" movie in America. That's like setting a headless horseman movie in Europe.

Gemüsepizza;45444748 said:
So there won't be another Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser? :(

Considering Tomb of the Dragon Emperor bombed, no. He needs to join up with Treat Williams and get with Stephen Sommers to star in the sequel to Deep Rising. Now that's a movie I'd pay to see Day One.

I guess I don't mind present day either. I just want a good movie.

Well, Spaihts was the more agreeable half of the Prometheus script.

Your first concern, however, should be that Len Wiseman is directing it, for he is terrible and will always be terrible.

I watched Underworld. Asides from Kate in tight leather, it was... um. Just um.

Gemüsepizza;45444748 said:
So there won't be another Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser? That sucks.

Nah, I guess he's done. I was kinda looking forward to Peru. But no Weisz in the third one made it suckier for me.

You're probably not going to get it with Len Wiseman.

QCPN0.gif

Dash27

Underworld and Total Recall director Len Wiseman has revealed that his reboot of The Mummy won't be a period piece like the last three entries in the Universal franchise.

Speaking to Movieweb, Wiseman said, "The difference between the two, if The Mummy is to be the next movie for me, is that The Mummy is a completely different film. It is a modern day take. It doesn't have anything to do with the Brendan Fraser films, and it is not a remake of any kind."

The director added, "It's horror. Its epic. It's more of a modern day version of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating."

Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) is scripting for producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (Star Trek, Transformers) and Mummy series veterans Sean Daniels and Jim Jacks.

Reading that I cant even imagine it's possible that it will be good.

Other than the Brendan Frasier Mummy, the movies they list are all underwhelming. Although Star Trek I thought was pretty good.

Tokubetsu

I like the first two underworld movies and was even okay with the Total Recall remake but yeah, this doesn't sound too hot. First Mummy is still great. Fucking Beni. I love the scene after the boat incident.

LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE ALL THE HORSES!
LOKS LIKE YOU'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE RIVER~

The way Brendan sells that line, by half singing river. So great.

I enjoyed it more than the third one to be honest. Something was off about Rise of The Lycans and I like all the actors involved (mmmm rhona mitra).

I don't know, it's been a while since I last watch rise of the lycans but my memory of it is that it was more enjoyable than the last main entry into the series. maybe it's my memory playing tricks. if I wasn't so busy, I'd watch them both, alas...maybe next weekend.

Considering Tomb of the Dragon Emperor bombed, no. He needs to join up with Treat Williams and get with Stephen Sommers to star in the sequel to Deep Rising. Now that's a movie I'd pay to see Day One.

You sir or a god among men. I swear it feels good for Deep Rising to get some love. Amazingly fun movie. Anyway on topic modern day mummy sounds like it can have potential. I hope they can pull it off. I just wish i could have that same feeling i got when i watched it in theatres that scene where he swallows that plane with sand. Too good.

UrbanRats

I think the step down from 2nd to 3rd movie was bigger than 1st to 2nd.

Also i hated how they made the Mummy 1 and 2 some sort of fiction, in the 3rd movie, fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom