• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

Ford Prefect said:
wait- are we supposed to be playing this to win? Like, as a competition? Should I just be picking groups like Radiohead and Kanye to get the popular vote, or go with the vote of my heart?
I'm trying to harmonize the 2; I don't think it's going to work.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Ford Prefect said:
^^^bastard

wait- are we supposed to be playing this to win? Like, as a competition? Should I just be picking groups like Radiohead and Kanye to get the popular vote, or go with the vote of my heart?
I'm doing a mix of my favorite albums with some stuff I like that's popular right now.

I'm going for a mix of favorites and important releases. Screw popularity (except perhaps in pick order, # 9 is a band few have heard of and #10 is a band no one's heard of.)

Cyan

Banned
Ford Prefect said:
^^^bastard

I dunno, but if I was going with the vote of my heart, I'd probably wind up with all Bad Religion. Well, other than the Black Album and maybe one or two others.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Ford Prefect said:
^^^bastard

Go with whatever you want to sir. I am playing it both, saving picks that I don't think people are going to pick last but going to pick albums that I truly do love. I made a list of 250 albums that I was considering to draft. It is already down to 240 after this round so far.

So some random stats so far:
No Hip Hop, Jazz, Country, Garage rock, or Avant-Garde records
Only one metal, punk, and Beatles record
Two Velvet Undergrounds and Metalica records have been picked

AlternativeUlster

Cyan said:
Ah, but perhaps it was a trick! Mwahaha.

Um, right. Ok, now I'll have to retroactively make it a trick by not picking them at all.

Just remember you can only have one Bad Religion record on your team.

Karakand

I'm gonna pick some of those genres but I didn't think they were going to be a real hot item in the first round given who signed up.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Karakand said:
I'm gonna pick some of those genres but I didn't think they were going to be a real hot item in the first round given who signed up.
Same. I have a hip hop, punk, and folk album in my list.

AlternativeUlster

Karakand said:

Oh yeah me too. I think my jazz picks are pretty safe up until perhaps the 8th round but during the 4th, I am probably going to lay down by hip hop pick.

I'm in.

Radiohead-Ok-Computer-87768.jpg

Radiohead - OK Computer

AlternativeUlster

And there goes the first Radiohead pick of the draft. I wish I could do commentary like when you watch the NFL draft like I could go, "I am not sure which Radiohead album is next but I know it is either the Bends or Kid A."

Karakand

I got him in the GAF league 2 years ago, he was pretty productive for me... UNTIL HE SINGLEHANDEDLY KEPT ME OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS. :mad:

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Karma Kramer said:
my bloody valentine - loveless
I love this album. I heard it last year after having it on my computers for years. It's the perfect amount of noise and melody.

muttyeah416 said:
Radiohead - OK Computer
Ford Prefect said:
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Two albums I've never got.
I'm a huge 60's music but never liked the Beach Boys. I don't know why, but they never did it for me. Radiohead is uhhh...., like U2, and the BB's I never got into their music.

AlternativeUlster

Vox-Pop said:
I love this album. I heard it last year after having it on my computers for years. It's the perfect amount of noise and melody.

Two albums I've never got.
I'm a huge 60's music but never liked the Beach Boys. I don't know why, but they never did it for me. Radiohead is uhhh...., like U2, and the BB's I never got into their music.

Have you ever listened to My Bloody Valentine's Isn't Anything? I actually prefer that over Loveless of their two albums.

But you should for sure check out Pet Sounds. It is the only Beach Boys record I put on. I never was into their sunny surf pop sounds. Wouldn't It Be Nice and Sloop John B are on that album if you know those tracks.

I like Ok Computer but lived it a lot more when I was 15. Paranoid Android is probably still the song of Generation Why though like how Smells Like Teen Spirit is the song of Generation X.

OK Computer is the album that triggered my curiosity to explore different genres and artists. Before that, I was mainly a hip hop listener who liked some rock. Now, I'm willing to be more adventurous.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
AlternativeUlster said:
Have you ever listened to My Bloody Valentine's Isn't Anything? I actually prefer that over Loveless of their two albums.
I prefer Loveless over Isn't Anything, Loveless has certain flow I like.
Only Shallow, Come In Alone, and To Here Knows When have to be some of the most-perfect songs ever made.

I also have a soft spot for Ecstasy.

VALIS

I bet the final round will be Abbey Road vs. OK Computer.

Is there a point system for how far your draft picks get in the torunament, then a winner is determined by their total number of points? That would be cool.

I'll take The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

AlternativeUlster

VALIS said:
I bet the final round will be Abbey Road vs. OK Computer.

Is there a point system for how far your draft picks get in the torunament, then a winner is determined by their total number of points? That would be cool.

I'll take The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

I am still trying to figure out how the tournament will be played but it is basically your Top 10 vs. someone else's top 10.

AlternativeUlster

Alright, we just missing 7 people's picks and I have counted a total of 10 albums that I think would be very obvious would go down in the first round and 3 that I thought would be picked within the first 10 minutes.

AlternativeUlster

10 minutes until Round 2 dudes. So many picks that I thought woudn't make it to the 2nd round are still for the pickings. Let's rock n roll kids.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom