• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Anime of the Year Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

Love Lab got robbed :(

No Rozen Maiden neither Yuyushiki in top 20 makes me sad...

Eccentric Family at 3 is great, great show. Surprised how high is KlK, I like quite a lot of the show and I voted for it but it gets a lot of criticism, I didn't think it would go so high.

Well, thanks for the effort BGBW.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I added a more complete breakdown of the results on the second page if people are curious to see them.

duckroll

I kinda feel that the Movie/OVA split helped make a more comprehensive TV series list, but at the expense of movies and OVAs. Maybe we can look at the voting patterns and results, and see if we should expand the voting on the category. Only being able to vote for 3 things in that category was pretty limiting. I know that I would have voted for more if it had been expanded to say 5 or 6. Even if that ultimately might not change the overall ranking for the top films and OVAs, if everyone were allowed to vote for more stuff, it would certainly bring up some of the stuff which might not have been the best of the best, but were interesting nonetheless.

MormaPope

Banned
I started watching Attack on Titan and marathoned through 11 episodes, liked what I watched but don't really feel like soldiering on. Does the characterization and plot become more unpredictable/less predictable? The action itself is neat but my favorite part of the show is the feeling of dread.

Nibel

Hunter X Hunter and Attack On Titan have been robbed - you dun goofin', Anime-GAF; will burn waifu pillows for your sins

Is Space Battleship Yamato 2199 a complete series? It sounds pretty intruiging and the gap between it and #2 is huge.

And Kill La Kill.. man, I think that the show has some qualities but screenshots of a half-naked girl in a suit that covers nothing make me cringe so hard every time that I can't see myself really wanting to get into it :/

Malvingt2

I had a sinking feeling that the world wanted to go against me.

The praise for Yamato makes me want to look into it, though.

I have to check it that out too.

I am watching Kill La Kill because I made a deal with one of my friends. He is watching Monster as part of deal.

Kill La Kill so far is fun to watch but I don't believe is "great" "epic" etc...

Betty

Banned
I started watching Attack on Titan and marathoned through 11 episodes, liked what I watched but don't really feel like soldiering on. Does the characterization and plot become more unpredictable/less predictable? The action itself is neat but my favorite part of the show is the feeling of dread.

I'd say the plot is less predictable in the second half, but the characterization perhaps less so. The dire atmosphere actually increases as well.

It's interesting how the Winter shows moved around between 2012 and 2013. Jojo cratered despite its best material being in 2013, and From the New World did much better.

duckroll

Honestly, it felt great just knowing that by being one of those who voted for Yamato 2199 early on in the thread, it brought more attention to the show and led other people to watch it and enjoy it. That's the best part of voting on stuff like this imo, just sharing stuff we enjoyed and seeing other people enjoy it too. :)

Mononoke

Banned
Great list! Sadly I'm still playing catch up on the TV series side of things. But I will use this list as a guide. On a side note, I'm glad my commentary for Garden of Words made the list. :) But abhorred at my poor grammar in that post. :p Fantastic film though, and I'm glad it will get more exposure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I kinda feel that the Movie/OVA split helped make a more comprehensive TV series list, but at the expense of movies and OVAs. Maybe we can look at the voting patterns and results, and see if we should expand the voting on the category. Only being able to vote for 3 things in that category was pretty limiting. I know that I would have voted for more if it had been expanded to say 5 or 6. Even if that ultimately might not change the overall ranking for the top films and OVAs, if everyone were allowed to vote for more stuff, it would certainly bring up some of the stuff which might not have been the best of the best, but were interesting nonetheless.
Yeah, we can look into ways of improving it for next year, but at least we've made some steps towards it. And while some people did feel the GotY thread was a bit stringent with the rules I think we need some sort of rule about names. So many nicknames were given in the votes that I had to keep looking them up, especially with those overly long light novel titles.

Honestly, it felt great just knowing that by being one of those who voted for Yamato 2199 early on in the thread, it brought more attention to the show and led other people to watch it and enjoy it. That's the best part of voting on stuff like this imo, just sharing stuff we enjoyed and seeing other people enjoy it too. :)
As a result of reading almost everyone's comments on the top ten I've found myself interested in a few of them. I actually chose quotes based on those that sold the show to me.

survivor

Banned
I'm the only one that voted for Otona Joshi ;_;

Top 10 is pretty solid. I would have preferred if things like AOT or KLK were replaced by Kyousougiga and Yozakura Quartet, but it's understandable why they are on the list.

Didn't watch much anime this year and probably won't this year, but I'm glad to see Garden of Words and Flower of Evil in the op. Loved them even if Flower had a lot of walking scenes

Yeah, we can look into ways of improving it for next year, but at least we've made some steps towards it. And while some people did feel the GotY thread was a bit stringent with the rules I think we need some sort of rule about names. So many nicknames were given in the votes that I had to keep looking them up, especially with those overly long light novel titles.

I imagine having a list of shows and movies that are eligible for voting would make it easier when you need to cross reference what people voted for.

Just make it a rule that you have to use the name for the show you provided.

MormaPope

Banned
I'd say the plot is less predictable in the second half, but the characterization perhaps less so. The dire atmosphere actually increases as well.

Thank you for the response. What got me hooked on AOT is that dire atmosphere and dread.

duckroll

I'm the only one that voted for Otona Joshi ;_;

Top 10 is pretty solid. I would have preferred if things like AOT or KLK were replaced by Kyousougiga and Yozakura Quartet, but it's understandable why they are on the list.

I liked that episode, but it's just something which feels like it falls completely through the cracks of the current voting system. If taken as a series, I don't think the other two shorts made enough of an impression for me to consider it as a series worth voting for. If taken as an individual short, it wouldn't crack the top3 when competing with films and OVAs. It's just kinda in an odd place, as one good episode in a three episode series. :(

Congrats to Yamato. I would have preferred a From the New World win, but I'm happy that it was able to get relatively high for the second year in a row.

And I think most of us are probably relieved that Kill La Kill and Attack on Titan didn't win, even if both shouldn't even be that high.

fertygo

HxH got robbed :(
you wouldn't find another show in that list that maintain good production value for 48+ eps in year, two of the show in top 5 is even struggling to put string of episode without entering slideshow category.

JoeFu

Banned
I do hope that next year Log Horizon can truly ascend to the top.

Log Horizon really deserves all the praise it gets. I hope it can get into the top 10. Even the OT for that show isn't really active. Half the posts are Database gifs :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And I think most of us are probably relieved that Kill La Kill and Attack on Titan didn't win, even if both shouldn't even be that high.

I seriously don't even get this. The reason both shows are that high on that list is because most people wanted them to be that high on the list.

I get some people don't like KLK or AOT or whatever show on the list which is totally cool but the results kind of are what they are.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon really deserves all the praise it gets. I hope it can get into the top 10. Even the OT for that show isn't really active. Half the posts are Database gifs :(

Log Horizon is a bit of a dark horse since this is a show that started off shaky but has really blossomed in the late stages.

BluWacky

I didn't vote this year because I didn't watch enough anime to make it worthwhile, but I am particularly pleased not just that Wolf Children deservedly had its moment, but by the very pleasant surprise that From The New World managed to chart again this year!

I haven't seen enough of anything else to really comment fairly.

Good job on the presentation of the OP, BGBW, it looks great! :)

Wolf Children taking the win was expected and I couldn't be any happier! I'm happy to see that Gundam Build Fighters reached the top 10 it deserves it greatly! I also hope that Sazae-san does better than 96th in next year's vote, now that it's in it's 45th year!

Thank you BGBW for setting this all up for us! A very classy OP!

Gazoinks

Woo good winners. I'm surprised both Eccentric Family and KLK charted that high. Good results, although if I had my way From the New World and Flowers of Evil would be higher. :p

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
1. Yamato

Yeah Buddy.

2. KLK

YEAH BUDDY

21. Valvrave
32. Inferno Cop
38. MJP
41. Golden Time

;_7

And I got quoted for Garden of Words? Nice.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I have never heard of Yamato, so I'm surprised to see it here, let alone in at #1 by such a margin. From a casual watcher's point of view trying to gauge what's hot, I was expecting Attack on Titan to win hands down, or Kill la Kill (I've only watched AoT though).

Is Yamato that good?

Well it was so good that there were others that did have Karneval and Free! in their lists. Too bad on the top 10 only two shows on my list made it there :( (though surprised one of my quotes was chosen even, mindblown).

Hopefully people do support those series in the top 10 as only JJBA is the only one not licensed, while everything else is streaming or available, going to be available on disc in some form...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am surprised where some of the more notable anime of 2013 ended up, like Gatchaman and Watamote and Free.

Acosta

I have never heard of Yamato, so I'm surprised to see it here, let alone in at #1 by such a margin. From a casual watcher's point of view trying to gauge what's hot, I was expecting Attack on Titan to win hands down, or Kill la Kill (I've only watched AoT though).

Is Yamato that good?

I have not completed it yet, but yes.

Nice presentation, BGBW; I can see why it took you a while to put this up. Decent list I suppose, not as good as 2012's AOTY list in accurately reflecting quality, but such is life. Surprised to see Kill la Kill place so high; my impression was that a strongly negative consensus had developed about it.

HxH was robbed :(
you wouldn't find another show in that list that maintain good production value for 48+ eps in year, two of the show in top 5 is even struggling to put string of episode without entering slideshow category.

Be happy Hunter X Hunter made it into the top 10. As a 100+ episode show in its third year running, it's inherently difficult to get people watching it.

I am surprised where some of the more notable anime of 2013 ended up, like Gatchaman and Watamote and Free.

Unfortunately for Free! I think people just dont like friendship stories, with great visuals and good music. It was animated perfection, though I may be biased.

I think they didnt like the drama aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom