• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Netflix Recommendation Thread of Dope Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

Japanese master director Akira Kurosawa explores the vital relationship between man and his environment with this collection of eight enchanting short stories drawn from his personal memories and dreams. A feast for the senses, the luminous tales are distinguished by dazzling imagery, rich color and keen insight. Another famed director (and Kurosawa fan), Martin Scorsese, portrays Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh in one of the segments.

SEE THIS.
Amazing film, from a legendary director. My favorite short is the foxes wedding.

2DMention

Banned
Does anybody know if there are any old grindhouse/exploitation films on netflix streaming? I can't seem to find any with a search.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
uhfdvd.jpg

Flynn

2DMention said:
Does anybody know if there are any old grindhouse/exploitation films on netflix streaming? I can't seem to find any with a search.

I have more than a few in my queue:

Just For The Hell of It / Blastoff Girls
H.O.T.S.
The First Turn On
The Erotic Mr. Rose
Psych Out / The Trip
She Devils on Wheels
Bloodsucking Freaks

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
xbhaskarx said:
I just noticed that Dr Strangelove is available again.

Is it common for netflix to take off movies from their catalog or is it a rare thing?
Any notable movies now absent that they had before?

Gone Baby Gone. (One of the great underrated films, I REALLY loved this movie -- it fires on all cylinders, delivers in every way... the movie is set in boston and really captures the local flavor... just such a great movie. michelle monaghan and casey affleck are both really really likeable too)

44602-GoneBabyGone_Quad_ROI-newest.jpg

Transsiberian. (Awesome suspense thriller, has Kate Mara in it, you may remember her as the really hot girl who was marky mark's love interest in Shooter)

kate-mara.jpg
(that's from shooter, but so what, she has no shirt on!)

also...

Superbad. (duh)

Mythbusters. (kari byron)

johnyqd

I want to echo the previous sentiment about watching Dear Zachary, I had added this on a whim... and found the most emotionally powerful movie I have ever seen.

I'm not embarassed to say that I sobbed for large portions of this movie (my wife did TOO so don't call me a wimp!) and tears still well up if I'm discussing it.

Don't read anything else about it, just add it to your queue, grab a few boxes of tissues, and watch away.

Flynn

FTWer said:
Is it common for netflix to take off movies from their catalog or is it a rare thing?
Any notable movies now absent that they had before?

The movies are licensed in windows. Netflix will negotiate with the studio and they'll determine how long the get the movies for. It's kinda like programming on a pay cable channel.

xbhaskarx

I think most if not all of these are new to Netflix streaming:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
After Hours
The Big Sleep
Henry Fool
On the Waterfront
American Movie
The Last Temptation of Christ
Le Cercle Rouge
The Magnificent Seven
Starship Troopers
Best in Show

_RT_

HorribleJames said:
Transsiberian. (Awesome suspense thriller, has Kate Mara in it, you may remember her as the really hot girl who was marky mark's love interest in Shooter)

Yup. Greatly enjoyed this movie and knew nothing about it going in.

HorribleJames said:

Let us not forget her role as the lesbian cheerleader on Nip / Tuck.

909er

I had a question I was hoping someone might know the answer to.

Can I use Netflix instant watch on my 360 in Japan? I'm moving there in a week, and I was hoping to use this service to keep me entertained.

HorribleJames said:
Gone Baby Gone.

Transsiberian.
Gone Baby Gone is very by the numbers mystery where you can see the plot twist coming a mile away.

Transsiberian... I've actually met the director a few times back when he was finishing up The Machinist and as much as I like the guy, this particular movie was god awful.

For those who have not given "American Movie" a viewing it's comic gold. It's a documentary but it is truly hilarious (and sad in a weird way).

I remember I was working at Blockbuster in high school when it came out and it just came in with the other new releases, I was intrigued by the cover so I took it home and I am so psyched about checking it out again.

Costanza

Banned
HorribleJames said:

kate-mara.jpg
(that's from shooter, but so what, she has no shirt on!)
She made out with Sophia Bush in the first season of Nip/Tuck :)

MickeyKnox said:
Gone Baby Gone is very by the numbers mystery where you can see the plot twist coming a mile away.

Transsiberian... I've actually met the director a few times back when he was finishing up The Machinist and as much as I like the guy, this particular movie was god awful.

When someone says they like a movie, saying that it's bad does make you sound cool and smart, so I do see where you're going with this.

Now complete the awesomeness by recommending some stuffy foreign flicks nobody's heard of directed by a man with an unpronounceable name. and make sure they're as obscure as possible, perhaps pre-90s, to ensure that you sound as smart as possible.

Quick! To the jackasscave! (A cave where nobody has ever been laid)

MickeyKnox said:

I enjoyed both movies. Gone Baby Gone is what it is. A slightly above average Hollywood mystery movie.

However, I thought Transsiberian was really good as far as character/story development with just the right amount of tension to keep you guessing. I don't really see how you thought it was awful? Explain please...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Not claiming these are great flicks, but the following more well-known, mainstream stuff has been added:

- The Waterboy (Adam Sandler)
- What About Bob? (Underrated Bill Murray flick)
- The Wiz
- Cheech & Chong's Next Movie

wtf i tried watching transiberrian a few weeks ago and it told me it was no longer available. i thought netflix lost the rights to stream it or something.

i'll try re-adding it and watching it. also, here are some movies i've watched lately:

dear zachary - i'll spare you a long review but it was a great documentary. i've seen criticisms saying it plays out more like a dateline report, but that's part of the reason i liked it. no glammy stuff, you can tell it was done on a small budget and it was just a guy doing it for his buddy. awesome documentary

man on wire - eh, i don't know. i thought it was pretty boring. the one thing that saved it was the main guys enthusiasm for what he was doing. i always enjoy seeing/hearing from people who are 100% absolutely devoted to something. i didn't like it as much as dear zachary but it's worth a viewing

get carter (remake) - why did i watch this? pretty muched sucked ass

the cleaner - while not as bad as get carter, i was very disappointed. i loves me some samuel l. jackson and throw in some ed harris i thought it would be pretty good. but nope, it's just a by-the-books crime/thriller with a "twist" you can see coming for miles and miles. waste of time.

twilight zone season 1 - you can't miss with this! i believe there are 21 episodes, most of them excellent. some of the highlights for me are "Where Is Everybody?", "Third Planet from the Sun", and "The Fever". I haven't watched every episode recently, but I believe I've seen all the others in my life anyhow. I will re-watch them periodically. Definitely recommended.

Dead Mans Shoes - I'm not even sure how this ended up in my list, but it wasn't half bad. it wasn't great, pretty much just a revenge tale about a dude who's mentally challenged brother was emotionally, physically, and sexually abused by this gang while he was away in the army. then he comes back and takes care of business!

shawshank redemption - i've seen this movie probably 10 times already in my life but my gf had never seen it. if you have never seen this movie you should do it post-haste! one of my favorites ever

Ils (Them?) - pretty good foreign horror flick about a "haunting" of this couple. very similar to the Strangers, but I actually enjoyed it more than the strangers. i think it says inspired by a true story, but like all movies that play that card i researched it and its VERY LOOSELY based on a somewhat similar story.

ive been meaning to watch LA Confidential since it's only available until march 16th... maybe i will tonight!

Alphahawk

Just want to point out that Neverending Story is up, I never saw it as a kid, and after watching it I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.:lol

ShinAmano

Is there a site out there that lets us know when new stuff is added...or when to expect new stuff? My GF loves Law & Order SVU and she is almost done with Season 7...wants to know when 8/9/10 will be there.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If you guys are ok with anime...I thought the following series was really good. Its based on the book. If you don't watch it for the story at least watch it for the amazing visuals.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This is interesting... Via Joyful Sticks...
http://www.*******.com/2009/03/20/survey-proposes-netflix-service-for-wii/

Netflix may be looking to expanding their service beyond Xbox 360. According to a consumer survey mailed to a ******* reader, Netflix may provide their service to Wii owners. "Imagine that, as an added benefit to DVDs by mail, Netflix offers its members the ability to watch movies & TV episodes instantly on their TV via their Nintendo Wii, choosing from a library of over 12,000 choices.

According to the survey, the Netflix service will be enabled through a "Netflix Instant Streaming Disc." The disc would need to be placed in the Wii every time someone wanted to use the Netflix service. Unlike Microsoft, it appears Nintendo will not bundle Netflix into an upcoming firmware.

Teddman

So if Watch Instantly will be available for Wii, why no PS3 plans? I wonder if Netflix's exclusivity deal with Xbox 360 is soon expiring.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Made of Honor and 88 Minutes are two more big(ish) Hollywood movies added to streaming.

ShinAmano said:
Is there a site out there that lets us know when new stuff is added...or when to expect new stuff? My GF loves Law & Order SVU and she is almost done with Season 7...wants to know when 8/9/10 will be there.

http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds

"New movies to watch instantly" feed.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do the expiring movies ever get added back on after they get taken off?

If they decide to relicense them, yes. Blade Runner is one of the films that's been reinserted after previously expiring.

PSGames

Teddman said:
So if Watch Instantly will be available for Wii, why no PS3 plans? I wonder if Netflix's exclusivity deal with Xbox 360 is soon expiring.

Well other devices have Netlix on them. I'd guess the Xbox 360 contract specifically stated PS3 and noone else. Kinda funny really :lol

This would be a serious hit for Netflix and the Wii. I wonder why Nintendo won't let them add it to the firmware? That kinda sucks.

h_a_t

Caspel said:
red-belt-woot.jpg

Great movie, much better than I expected.

I agree.
I had no expectations as I remember seeing a commercial or two when it was being released in theaters and forgot about it.

Falagard

Weeds.

Watch it. I watched the first episode and was pretty "meh" about it, but make sure you watch at least 3 episodes. I've now watched the two seasons that are available on Netflix and wish the rest were up there. Episodes are about 30 minutes each so they fly by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom