• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Great Migration - where are you going?

Rookje

The recent Coronavirus has expedited a lot of things that have already been happening - such as transformations in supply chains and entertainment digitization. Old school movie theaters, brick and mortar shopping was already declining but now its being put out of its misery because of the pandemic. But probably one of the biggest transformations is the ability to finally work from home. While not all Americans have this as an option, much more than ever before now have the ability to not have to be at a physical office.

With this new perk of not being chained to the city for where your job is located, many Americans are looking across the union and asking: where should we go?

Recent headlines:
Cities in America have become shitholes of crime, drugs and high taxes. And with the Black Lives Matter protests, residents have become alarmed at the mismanagement and lack of leadership in their cities, in particular Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City and Chicago.

Most notable is Joe Rogan announcing he's leaving Los Angelas to Texas, causing many of his 10 million daily audience to also ask: why aren't we moving?

Ladies and gentlemen, we are looking at history in the making -- one of the biggest migrations in American history, out of cities and into the "flyover states."

Personally, I'm looking to move out of Orange County, CA. Even though its not a big city and I really do like the vibe, its expensive and California is being turned into a hellhole. For me a few requirements are: some sort of I can buy a 3 bed/2 ba house for under 700K, a downtown (mainly some options in food), high speed internet (Starlink might solve this?), I can get shipped stuff from Amazon Prime, not freezing all year.

Where are you going?

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
If i ever need to leave Austria, i will move to Iceland. And and if that fails, Spitsbergen.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I love where I live, far away in the suburbs but close enough to a big city to get whatever I want whenever I need.
Not all of the USA looks like craziness you see on the news.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
At some point I'll move my family from this large city in Alberta to a mountain and lake surrounded town in British Columbia or to an ocean side town in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.

Assuming I keep my job, I don't plan on moving. I have a decent job at the moment, and I don't think it would be easy to get a comparable job elsewhere. If I lose it for some reason then I may consider a move, but I probably won't. All my family is here, and if enough people leave California maybe we'll start to fix some of our problems. I feel like the politicians either don't believe people will leave, or they actually want them to leave.

If politicians don't believe people will leave, they will change their attitude when they see enough people leave, especially the rich which will take a lot of jobs and tax money with them. If politicians want people to leave, then things may not get better. Like maybe they make California suck on purpose as a way to depopulate it? There are also some conspiracy theories that politicians make places suck to drive people out to lower real estate prices so they can buy them, then start having laws enforced and things fixed after they own it so the prices go back up. If that's the case I think it would be hard to hold them accountable, and I'm sure they can make a fortune off of it.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
At the moment i'm staying in Phoenix. Depending on the Election results and other factors I may look into all of my options. My options outside of USA are limited, but I can get Israeli citizenship if I wanted to.

If Arizona keeps getting hotter by the summer i'm gone. This summer was horrible.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
At the moment i'm staying in Phoenix. Depending on the Election results and other factors I may look into all of my options. My options outside of USA are limited, but I can get Israeli citizenship if I wanted to.

If Arizona keeps getting hotter by the summer i'm gone. This summer was horrible.
Yousa joo?

TaySan

Banned
My mom doesn't like it here very much anyways so we will probably end up leaving to somewhere cooler. Preferably blue.
It’s like peeling an onion with you.
Didn't mean to make you teary-eyed. My apologies. That was certainly not my intention?

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
My mom doesn't like it here very much anyways so we will probably end up leaving to somewhere cooler. Preferably blue.

Didn't mean to make you teary-eyed. My apologies. That was certainly not my intention?
tenor.gif

belmarduk

If i ever need to leave Austria, i will move to Iceland. And and if that fails, Spitsbergen.

Hell yes, I would love to live in Iceland. They have some of the most beautiful natural sights and they make a really good lamb stew called kjötsúpa. Its really tremendous. I went to a buffet in iceland and ate nine bowls!

SpiceRacz

The housing market here in Phoenix, AZ is going to get fucking stupid here pretty quick. Prices are still going up and inventory is limited. More and more people are moving out here and I think that's accelerated with Covid. Wife and I are getting a house this year no matter what, but I want to eventually move to the east coast. Maybe the Carolinas or Virgina.

TaySan

Banned
The housing market here in Phoenix, AZ is going to get fucking stupid here pretty quick. Prices are still going up and inventory is limited. More and more people are moving out here and I think that's accelerated with Covid. Wife and I are getting a house this year no matter what, but I want to eventually move to the east coast. Maybe the Carolinas or Virgina.
My dads house has gone up in value fast. That's probably the best reason to stay here.
You're fucking crazy.
It's more of a last resort for me if all hell goes loose I will at least know I have that option to do it. Moving to a blue state that's cooler is probably a lot easier though.

Last edited:

nush

You are never leaving anywhere. You lack the independence or confidence to ever do that.

*Then I read a little further down the topic before posting that*

rPNCqww.jpg

Edit: plus he's doubled down and posted while the gif was loading.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
In Atlanta but I got a sweet deal. However if I ever have to move I will leave the city. It served its purpose in my life (college, 20s) and I would rather be somewhere more stable and with less crime. I was mugged outside my apartment a few years ago in broad daylight. Plus all the old bars and venues I used to go to are closed for good. No reason to stay really.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Fuck Maryland and the DC area. I’m either going to South Carolina or Gulf Coast Florida. I’m sick of living in liberal dominated areas. DC is on the fast track to shithole.

highrider

Banned

Israel will want something in return, military service is mandatory there.

jsnake19

I think it's bullshit...people like Rogan who blissfully keep their head in the sand and keep voting for the people who make them feel good, but whose policies have turned these cities and states into the disasters that they are now. Now all of sudden they need to get the hell out of dodge but what are the chances that they still vote for the same crap policies that turned their former homes into the trash they are today? You made your shithole city, now live in it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I already live in flyover country. It's interesting to see more and more people "realize" this is a possibility:

TaySan

Banned
Israel will want something in return, military service is mandatory there.
I will have guaranteed employment at least, but im pretty sure there is an age cutoff where you dont have to do it for Aliya or its easy to get around it. Im 27 for reference.

SpartanN92

Banned
I LOVE the idea of TaySan TaySan in Israeli boot camp 😂😂😂

I’ve got this mental image of Gal Gadot as his Drill Instructor absolutely tearing him a new asshole because he can’t climb over the wall. It’s basically the first 45 minutes of Full Metal Jacket but with Taysan as Private Pyle and Wonder Woman as the DI.

Top Bottom