• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Mega Man cartoon sounds dumb and bad

mega2bman2bpowered-uptrxvv.jpg

So if Mega Man's government name is Rock, is Rock Man's government name Mega?

65686c43cb3b67c526a5966b45c0b8b3.jpg

Village

jesus christ

I didn't have high expectations in the first place, but I didn't expect it'd be this terrible and unfaithful. What the fuck were they thinking?

And no, it being a kids cartoon isn't an excuse for being terrible, especially not these days when we have the likes of Adventure Time, Wander Over Yonder, MLP: Friendship Is Magic and Steven Universe. Hell, even despite having a lot of crap back in our childhoods, we still had amazing stuff like the entire DCAU and Teen Titans.

But what if kids like it?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, they're giving him a rather Japanese sounding first name. I'm surprised he's not being named something like Daniel of Wheeler.

This doesn't really bother me all that much, even if it's not my preference. I'd rather than Megaman around and being experimented with, rather than left as a relic from the 80s.

In that way, he's more like the Ninja Turtles or Transformers: I might not like every interpretation, but when one comes out that just nails everything I like about the franchises, I'm incredibly happy that they're still around. The Cybertron Transformer games were GREAT, and if I needed some goofy movies, animations, or various comic series to exist so that I could get that particular product that I enjoyed, then so be it.

If this turns out bad, it's just a stepping stone to something better.

Dinjoralo

"Oh, they're making another Mega Man cartoon? I wonder what it's-"

...Oh my god, that character art is trash. Well, what's it about? Some robot schoolboy who becomes Mega Man's armor- no! That's stupid! This is now how you're supposed to celebrate a big series' anniversary!!

Nanashrew

Banned
jesus christ

I didn't have high expectations in the first place, but I didn't expect it'd be this terrible and unfaithful. What the fuck were they thinking?

And no, it being a kids cartoon isn't an excuse for being terrible, especially not these days when we have the likes of Adventure Time, Wander Over Yonder, MLP: Friendship Is Magic and Steven Universe. Hell, even despite having a lot of crap back in our childhoods, we still had amazing stuff like the entire DCAU and Teen Titans.

And good Disney cartoons like Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck etc. Heck, we got a good Sonic cartoon that was adapted from Archie Comics.

That premise sounds so terrible that I might have to watch a couple of episodes just for a laugh. But boo for going for the schoolboy trope, that's going to get unbearable after about 5 minutes...

Lunar15

The series has long had a flirtation with superhero elements in the whole 'Mega Man' identity - not just in the idea that he has a 'civilian' identity as Rock, but later series outright make the abilities into a transformation. Battle Network's anime adaptation did it from Axess onwards, while the Star Force and ZX games both have their protagonists' transformations as a mechanic. So its not actually that surprising a conclusion to arrive at, especially in the midst of the current superhero boom in cinemas.

Yeah, I misread the description. Makes sense to me.

Manu

I assume this happened because they essentially converted all "Rock" to "Mega." Rockman->Mega Man, Rock-> Mega for consistency. It was probably an oversight.

Still better than Mega Man Legends' translation, where "Rock" was changed to Mega Man.

At the end of the game, Mega Man learns his real name is actually
Mega Man.

Twentieth

Is that the Brazilian comic where they were constantly trying to get away with drawing Roll naked?

That's it. Don't even get me started on the story, it's something about aliens and hitting on women.

Anyways, what has been done to Mega Man artstyle over the years is.... yeah.

Berordn

this isn't going to be one of those lolsorandum cartoons that cn has now a days is it?

Man of Action entertainment doesn't do that, typically. They're the studio behind Ben 10 and Generator Rex which both had continuity and were pretty decent (but still definitely aimed at kids).

I dunno, I'm not immediately appalled by the idea. The art style is a bit off-putting, and it's not the Mega Man I know and love but I'll wait to see more before writing it off as heresy.

But I'd already accepted that a Mega Man cartoon was never going to be tailored toward me.

higemaru

I feel like the current subset of Mega Man fans has sufficiently catered to, MML3 aside. I mean the series has what, over 70 games in total? That's absurd. I get not liking where the series is going but do you think Batman fans from the 50s liked where the comics and TV show went? Do you think they even liked the 80s reinvention of the character? It's a natural progression of a franchise. I'm not saying this show won't be bad but it's not designed to cater to old MM fans so I feel like we shouldn't judge it as if it was trying to.

I feel like the current subset of Mega Man fans has sufficiently catered to, MML3 aside. I mean the series has what, over 70 games in total? That's absurd. I get not liking where the series is going but do you think Batman fans from the 50s liked where the comics and TV show went? Do you think they even liked the 80s reinvention of the character? It's a natural progression of a franchise. I'm not saying this show won't be bad but it's not designed to cater to old MM fans so I feel like we shouldn't judge it as if it was trying to.

Mega Man doesn't need to be reinvented for a new audience, though. It was not long ago that we had an incredible and faithful comics adaptation that current audiences could enjoy and would have worked perfectly for animated adaptation material, not to mention it was actually kid-friendly in a medium that had long mostly left kid-friendly material in the dust.

There's several Mega Man sub-series already, but nobody wanted or needed this.

Some Nobody

"Everything Wrong With the Internet In a Single Thread Title", is what I thought when I read the title to this post.

And the show looks fine to me. If you're that addicted to Mega Man looking 5 or whatever, just go read the comic.

Nanashrew

Banned

Mega Man has always catered to children. Even Battle Network was aimed at children. I liked the Battle Network series of anime and I was in my early late teens to early 20's at the time.

As a MegaMan fan I'm not bothered by this. The design is not bad either, even if I don't like the Helmet. If the guys behind Ben10 are behind this then it may reach some popularity, and we'll probably get some games of this too, that's excellent for MegaMan. I just wonder what kind of games we would get from this.

While I understand people wanting an adaptation of the Archie comics, if Capcom doesn't plan to continue making games of the classic series then it wouldn't make sense to adapt that comic.

On one hand, I can see what you're saying, it could turn out to be a good, well written and enjoyable series especially to the kids its aimed for. I think there's just a lot of people including me who are disappointed because we were hoping this show would FINALLY have something true to the games. Sakurai updated the design beautifully for Smash, and they just throw it all away for this.

See, you talk about franchise evolution and not liking to see change. But we never really GOT a proper, classic Megaman on screen in the first place. THAT's why we're upset.The design really does look like the kind of thing you'd see in a cheap iOS ripoff.

"Everything Wrong With the Internet In a Single Thread Title", is what I thought when I read the title to this post.

And the show looks fine to me. If you're that addicted to Mega Man looking 5 or whatever, just go read the comic.

I don't genuinely want death based on this cartoon, just for the record, in case that was confusing.

MiguelItUp

It's really unfortunate to see characters you grew up with, like Sonic and Mega Man, just get completely destroyed. I'm always impressed by the fact that it never gets better, they in reality only get worse and worse. It's surreal to me to think that there are people that literally do not give a shit. Or at least that make it feel that way.

RK128

Thinking about the re-design and some of the information we have about the cartoon....I feel this is less trying to appeal to one sub series (Classic) but all of them at the same time.

I mean here is what I can gather about what we have so far:
-The core origin story and likely a large amount of the central cast is ripped right from the Classic series.
-Aki/Rock's Mega Man form is heavily inspired by both the Classic and X series of Mega Men.
-The idea of a young kid turning into Mega Man has been explored in the Battle Network anime, Star Force Series and if you consider the Bio-Metals this, the ZX series too.
-Aki/Rock going to school implies the structure of the story could be like the Battle Network games but its likely more going to be like Ben 10 if you ever saw that show.

So we have influences from the Classic Series, X Series, Battle Network & ZX Series and potentially more as we learn more (maybe X Series characters like Zero could appear or the Robot Masters turn into their armored forms like how Aki/Rock transforms or something).

As a MegaMan fan I'm not bothered by this. The design is not bad either, even if I don't like the Helmet. If the guys behind Ben10 are behind this then it may reach some popularity, and we'll probably get some games of this too, that's excellent for MegaMan. I just wonder what kind of games we would get from this.

While I understand people wanting an adaptation of the Archie comics, if Capcom doesn't plan to continue making games of the classic series then it wouldn't make sense to adapt that comic.

Sonic Boom already got two games and look how THAT turned out. And that's despite the cartoon actually being decent. This just makes Sonic Boom's initial announcement look incredible, the art is horrendously amateurish for a so-called professional studio.

And that's strange logic. Capcom doesn't need to be making new classic Mega Man games to commission an adaptation of the comics. If anything, a successful adaptation might spur new classic games, much like what you're suggesting for this.

If this actually had decent production values and actually looked new and interesting, I would give it a chance, but both the setup is a cliche storm and the art is a dumpster fire.

Not like this

Just when you thought that Mighty No 9 trailer was the worst thing you'd see this week in terms of reviving mega man, turns out it's the second worst thing we'd see

Top Bottom