• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the new photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
saw the opportunity to start the page off with some pictures :)

edit: damn you Chris!

20050601035008_img_5007.jpg

20050601032543_img_3438.jpg

20050601033730_img_3121.jpg

20050601172340_img_5191.jpg

20050621114436_img_5941.jpg

BuddyC

Haha Johnny. The best part is we posted within seconds of each other, when it brought me back your post was already below mine.

Timen

well... this is one of my girlfriend with her Niece. She looks a little scared
but that is something she does all the time. babies...
elysha.jpg

One with me and my dad over at Florida Mall, nothing special but I like
this picture since I don't have that many pictures of me and my dad :)
floridamall.jpg

And one of my girlfriend, i like this picture :)
danielle.jpg

I use a Canon G3 and -some- post processing, mostly ajusting levels and contrast.
So Johnny, why do you put your model (or friends) inside (cramped) spaces during
a shoot? I see it in almoast every shoot you've posted

olimario

Banned
I don't usually shoot in automatic mode. I've just learned it's best in direct daylight with my current camera.

I'll post some Colorado pics here.

bl35tg.jpg
1239li.jpg
bl22ql.jpg

Timen

Oli, doesn't your camera support RAW image processing? being able to ajust the white balance on your pc is just so much better than choosing on the spot. You can set different moods with just one picture.

I like the first one :)

olimario

Banned
Timen said:
Oli, doesn't your camera support RAW image processing? being able to ajust the white balance on your pc is just so much better than choosing on the spot. You can set different moods with just one picture.

I like the first one :)

Do you mean taking my pictures in TIFF format? Yes, but it takes like 20 seconds to process. I don't mess with white balance too much in daylight, but I did at the falls and got some pretty cool results with each.

falls0co.jpg

Timen

I only discovered it a couple of months ago (i've owned my cam for about two years now) but i find it comfortable to be able and ajust the pictures to what I want them to look like :)
here's another one of my girlfriend in Rotterdam.

danielle_4.jpg

don't know if they are any good but I like them the way they are :)

Timen said:
So Johnny, why do you put your model (or friends) inside (cramped) spaces during
a shoot? I see it in almoast every shoot you've posted
i dunno about that. i really doubt it's almost every shot. in any case, the times where they are in cramp spots, it's just coincidence more than anything.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Photography is fun. :)

IMG_0271-B&W.jpg

Bought a 50mm F/1.8 today so was messing around whilst I played pool with my friend. Made it black and white in Photoshop, which is pretty much the extent of my PSing skills at the moment. It's overexposed top-right I know. :lol

Sho Nuff

Banned
18817483_bc8bf43eea_b.jpg

8mm fisheye <3

14481484_8a287ae0a5_b.jpg

I AM NEAR AKUMA'S CASTLE IN KARATEKA

14481100_3570641ca5_b.jpg

Everyone should go to Hiroshima at least once

14482974_1613e2ef0d_b.jpg

AHRRR I BE AN OLD MAN OF THE SEA

Shots taken with Canon 20D (or my old digital rebel)

AirBrian

Dammit Sho Nuff, quit posting fisheye pics! You are gonna make me broke!!! Awesome pics, man.

OK Johnny, here's my weak attempt at light painting:

dsc10825mv.jpg

Bulb mode, f11, pitch black with a LED flashlight and a blue, red, and yellow cover. I used each color cover for a third of the plant box.

And a random (cliched) pic for good measure:

dsc1035crop3xy.jpg

Sho Nuff

Banned
Johnny Nighttrain said:
oh man, it's OVER. next time i get paid, fish eye lens it is.

any recommendations Sho Nuff?

My friend uses the Sigma 15mm EX diagonal fisheye, which looks quite nice, and on a 1.6x crop factor DSLR like the 300D or the D70 there's no black circle.

I use the Sigma 8mm EX fisheye on my 20D, and there is vignetting near the edges because, well, it's so freakin' wide. If you use it on a full-frame sensor or actual film it's a nicely framed circle.

Also, there's heavy CA on the 8mm, but again, that's to be expected. Performs pretty well wide open.

For slight fishiness, go for the 15mm, but for EXTREMES, by all means hit the 8mm.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Took this one amidst the bomb havoc today in London. I quite like it. Off to Vietnam and Hong Kong for a month on Monday so getting as much practise in as possible.

IMG_0355%20copy%20copy.jpg

The border and watermark I feel are a bit pretentious looking on my amateurish photo but I was bored. :lol

aoi tsuki

Sho Nuff said:
18817483_bc8bf43eea_b.jpg

8mm fisheye <3

14481484_8a287ae0a5_b.jpg

I AM NEAR AKUMA'S CASTLE IN KARATEKA

14481100_3570641ca5_b.jpg

Everyone should go to Hiroshima at least once

14482974_1613e2ef0d_b.jpg

AHRRR I BE AN OLD MAN OF THE SEA

Shots taken with Canon 20D (or my old digital rebel)
Which Digital Rebel did you own and how would you compare it to your 20D? After reading reviews (and playing with one in-store) i think i've settled on the Digital Rebel XT (body only) over the 20D. The money i save in going with the XT without the stock lens will get me a couple of decent lenses, and a few accessories.

so today i applied to art center for shits and giggles, i actually just wanted some feedback from the professors there, but i ended up getting accepted on the spot, with a scholarship no less.

now it's time to think about whether i actually want to go or not considering all the mixed repsonses i've heard about the school.

shpankey

not an idiot
here's some pics i snagged not too long ago here at the house...

Gabriel loves to jump in the pool and swim, to say the least :lol
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

olimario

Banned
Strange clouds there, Hokie. Where were you when you took it?

Here's one I snagged last night on my way out. Nothing special here.
sunset8fd.jpg

HokieJoe

olimario said:
Strange clouds there, Hokie. Where were you when you took it?

I took it around the time that some thunderstorms were rolling through. I jacked up the levels quite bit and pushed some pixels around for the effect.

nitewulf

haven't had the time to take that many shots recently, i mostly got concert footage.
i've also recently decided to go with the Rebel XT, along with a few used lenses.
but these are taken with my trusty Powershot G5, full manual mode.

before a vienna teng concert:
IMG_4710.jpg

during the cancelled concert, but she performed for us anyway. just called everybody up onstage and sang.
IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

DJ Cheb i Sabbah:
IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

Royksopp:
IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

some old NYC metro shots. the city is my subject, a lot:
4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I love the fact I can shoot without keeping a second eye on the battery unlike my old Olympus C40Z which let me take 10 photos before crapping out.

London Zoo :)

IMG_0448%20copy.jpg

IMG_0459%20copy.jpg

IMG_0442%20copy.jpg

Gek54

Not the best camera or shots but here are my fav:

Pond across the street:
PondFall.jpg

Blarney:
Blarney1.jpg

Possum Kingdom, a friend took this one:

possumkingdomchute.jpg

nitewulf said:
underexposed, contrast should also be higher.

aoi tsuki said:
Pity, as i really like the first shot, but there's no tonal range in her hat or dress at all. Still, a great shot.
i shot that picture with an iso of 800 and didn't realize it til afterwords.

perhaps that's the reason why? any tips?

aoi tsuki

Johnny Nighttrain said:

Actually, the higher ISO is what saved the shot from being completely underdeveloped. i'm surprised it wasn't noisier than it is, but then again, i've got my Canon S40 as reference, and it's hardly a high ISO camera. :(

Judging by your settings, i'd have shot at ISO 400, 1/1000 shutter, keeping your other settings the same. You could've used fill flash to lighten her up a bit, but i'm guessing it would've killed any subtlety in the shadows by her hat, no matter how many stops you knocked it back. Also, it helps to trick your camera's light meter by focusing on the subject, halfway depressing the shutter, and then recomposing the shot.

Lastly, don't be afraid to use shot bracketing when you're unsure of a shot. You'll be happy with at least one of them, and it can help you learn what settings to use in difficult situations.

Out of curiousity, are you 350D shots with the stock lens? i'll be upgrading in a month or two to the 350D (Digitsl Rebel XT) and i'd like to get an idea of what the stock lens can do.

Lastly, check out this page:
http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

It's a long read, but worthwhile. The Useful Photographic Guidelines and the next section are especially helpful, and i finally understand the "sunny f/16" rule. Second lastly, google "zone system". i've only touched upon the basics myself, but it's been pretty helpful.

Edit: Couldn't put my finger on what was odd about her, and then i realized it. She's darker than the background. Dark colors recede, and with the background in good focus, she's fighting with it. i'm not sure how good the flash on the 350D is, but it would've helped to have another source of light on her to bring her into the foreground.

nitewulf

Johnny Nighttrain said:

well, first of all, what lens are you using with the XT? the 18-55 kit lens? because that's shit.
aside from that, i see you used aperture priority with 5.6...which in effect picked a shutter speed that's way too high.
basically, to take that shot better, i'd go fully manual.
100 ISO, to get a really good quality shot, though with the DSLRS i guess you could go pretty high.
F 4 - 5.6 - F7 (i'd take test shots to see what i need)
Shutter speed maybe 1/800th, 1/1000th, or 1/1200th...again varying it as i set both aperture and shutter speed to my liking while taking test shots. looks like a cloudy day, the lower the better IMO.
go full manual focus, your camera is focusing on infinity at that shot, whereas the woman should obviously be the focus of the picture. i'd set up the shot, stand as far back as i wanted to, focus on her first, and then just frame her off center. now i personally like to overexpose (depending on what i wanna see):
a44.jpg

light metering should have been spot, as she is underexposed whereas the background is overexposed. i havent used the XT, so i'm not sure what modes are available there. you gotta play around with that.

anyway, the focusing, metering and shutter speed are what needs to be set well for that shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom