• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament for Windows is now available in Pre-Alpha

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I wasn't able to get an online game to start. Everyone in the lobby was complaining about it too, so looks like a bug.

I did get a bot match going offline though. Game runs beautifully on high settings on my PC (a not-too-impressive rig that was only about $700 in 2011). Even at this current early state, the game looks fantastic.

I'm excited for the modding community that will spring up for this game. Given UE4's ease of use it should be easier than ever for people to create their own content (maps, characters) for the game. Really exciting time for be a PC gamer!

That's definitely a bug. Same experience here.

To join a match you should bring up the server list. I joined each game immediately. In fact I was shocked how fast it loaded!

LaserHawk

They thankfully ditched that Gears of War look that I remember them having earlier. AND all the obnoxious voice clips and swearing. It's back to what I liked. Still, I'd almost rather just walk around and enjoy that scenery. I'm not really sure I feel like returning to old-fashioned deathmatches.

Grinchy

Banned
Well this is pretty sweet. It has its issues (servers dying while playing, mouse not working when I first join a game, ect). But, it runs and plays very well. I need a TON of practice before I stop sucking.

Xyber

Well this is pretty sweet. It has its issues (servers dying while playing, mouse not working when I first join a game, ect). But, it runs and plays very well. I need a TON of practice before I stop sucking.

If you haven't figured it out, just shoot one time and mouse starts to work again.

iavi

This new EPIC launcher runs FAR smoother than any of the current major online storefronts--Steam, Origin, Uplay.

Elixist

man that Outpost23

Damn-hot-fanning-.gif

game is promising, played a bit of bots, ready to get rekt now.

This new EPIC launcher runs FAR smoother than any of the current major online storefronts--Steam, Origin, Uplay.

it is smooth and clean. im sure being a newer client helps, by not getting bogged down with legacy crap or just a shitton of content like Steam.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone figured out how to enable per-object motionblur? Yeah I am a broken record... I know.
Are you talking about using the editor to mod it, or running the pre-alpha unmodified? I am going to boot UE4 standalone to check if there's an obvious per-object motion blur option.

Are you talking about using the editor to mod it, or running the pre-alpha unmodified? I am going to boot UE4 standalone to check if there's an obvious per-object motion blur option.

Pre-alpha unmodified. I have yet to boot UE4, but all the previous demos I have UE4 downloaded have had it... just UT4 doesn't in the current client (most competitive players turn it off). Perhaps they just excluded it because people would complain about it if it were on by default?

I will scrounge the .inis for it too. It was easy to find in UE3.9 based engines... perhaps it is here as well.

Blizzard

Banned
UE4 looks to continue UE3's legacy of running on toasters.

I'm going to love this engine.
I don't know that this is true as much as the average quality of toasters has improved, but I am happy for good performance. :p

From the screenshot thread I just ran across this:
For Unreal Tournament 4....

Open console (~ key)
Type r.SceneColorFringe.Max 0 and press enter

Chromatic aberration is gone.

16524854240_b1e4913346_o.jpg

16524854130_ef58e81895_o.jpg

Elixist

tried to get in a pvp match, but got intializing......for days. so played like 10 more bot games on low gravity, so fun. noticing more new wrinkles in the weapons which is great. the bots are pretty challenging, just like old times.

Grinchy

Banned
I just played like an hour of bot matches to practice up a little bit. Damn, this game plays well. It's so damn good that it makes me want to buy a new mouse to appreciate it more. I'm still pretty terrible, though.

beanman25

So I'm trying to update and it is taking FOREVER to verify. IT's 40 percent in a couple of hours. Plus my CPU is all locked up, Anyone else having this issue?

injurai

Banned
They thankfully ditched that Gears of War look that I remember them having earlier. AND all the obnoxious voice clips and swearing. It's back to what I liked. Still, I'd almost rather just walk around and enjoy that scenery. I'm not really sure I feel like returning to old-fashioned deathmatches.

Unreal: Long walks on a beach

SmartBase

This game reminds me just how good shooters used to be, I've had more fun with Outpost 23 and bots than I have with any recent FPS.

Can't wait for the complete product.

injurai

Banned
This game reminds me just how good shooters used to be, I've had more fun with Outpost 23 and bots than I have with any recent FPS.

Can't wait for the complete product.

Amen. I see game series and genres that drastically improvement themselves over time. FPS just seems stagnated, with the best sub-genres dead to big developers. Would really like to see a renaissance, because I think there is a tone of untapped potential to be found.

Dave_6

I just got into PC gaming back in 2013 so this is my first go at a 'twitch' shooter. Wow, this is crazy! I play around with bots for a few days and I outta be much better at using a KBM instead of a controller for everything, lol.

Looks gorgeous as well and my PC runs it like a top.

Miker

Came in third in a full 15-minute match. Not bad for not having played since UT2K4 (I barely dabbled in UT3).

Kevin

Which UE4 games? There aren't that many (any?).

Almost all of the tech demos I ran, got under 30 frames. Unreal Tournament 4 got just over 30 frames with some microstutter or something going on.

What I will say is this:

My card is a bit dated and so Unreal Engine 4 runs at about what I would expect a modern engine to run. So I'm not bashing UE4. If anything it probably is more optimized then a lot of other competing engines.

That being said, you still need a pretty beefy computer to run Unreal Engine 4 games well enough to be worth while. A "toaster" to me is pretty much a $200 Wal-Mart pc or something alike.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Had a blast playing this for a bit earlier.

Maxed out at 1080p with temporal AA and still getting 120-144 fps. The game feels great.

Denton

This game looks so nice, the temporal AA gives it a soft look, but so smooth, not a jaggy in sight. Lightning is great and framerate never drops from 60.
Really looking forward to finished game.

Almost all of the tech demos I ran, got under 30 frames. Unreal Tournament 4 got just over 30 frames with some microstutter or something going on.

What I will say is this:

My card is a bit dated and so Unreal Engine 4 runs at about what I would expect a modern engine to run. So I'm not bashing UE4. If anything it probably is more optimized then a lot of other competing engines.

That being said, you still need a pretty beefy computer to run Unreal Engine 4 games well enough to be worth while. A "toaster" to me is pretty much a $200 Wal-Mart pc or something alike.

Phenom II 3 core that cost 130 euros in 2008 and a 160 euro hd6870 from 2011 here, it doesn't get much more toaster than that for gaming pcs.
It runs pretty well for me.

What gpu cost 750 dollars a few years ago?

Pachimari

Downloading now. Can't wait to try it out!
Still remember having a fantastic time with the original Unreal Tournament on... Dreamcast.

schuey7

Really liking the game so far.It just feels good . However I'm playing with aa turned off because both the aa settings are a complete blurfest.On the plus side with aa off and all settings on epic the game runs great on my laptop and I haven't had to boot up my desktop yet.

Killyoh

It's ugly as sin on my 2008 iMac (which is perfectly normal) but still manages to run.
9q7kXhe.jpg

Quite impressive actually.

misho8723

Banned
UE4 looks to continue UE3's legacy of running on toasters.

I'm going to love this engine.

Thats right.. I alone play this pre-alpha on a 7 year old dual-core, 4 GB RAM and 650 Ti and I have everything on Epic, only textures on Medium, 1920x1080 res and on the most maps I have constant 60 fps and higher, only on Outpost I have overall over 40 fps.. so in my opinion, great optimalization and that's only pre-alpha :)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can you turn off the weapons? That should help a lot with performance. But it does run rather well. I actually think it runs about the same as Unreal Tournament 3, that thing was terrible on quad core CPUs.

Melchiah

Any idea on how it would run on a laptop like mine?
  • i5-4120M 2.6GHz (3.2GHz with boost)
  • GTX 850M (2GB GDDR5, 128-bit, Maxwell architecture)
  • 8GB DDR3
I don't want to download and install it just to check, whether it runs well enough on my system.

Peltz

Man... I forgot what UT feels like. I haven't played UT since... like... 2001 or so. It's such a refreshing change of pace compared to all of the other shooters out there today.

Any idea on how it would run on a laptop like mine?
  • i5-4120M 2.6GHz (3.2GHz with boost)
  • GTX 850M (2GB GDDR5, 128-bit, Maxwell architecture)
  • 8GB DDR3
I don't want to download and install it just to check, whether it runs well enough on my system.

I have a laptop with a 860M and it runs quite acceptably.

Top Bottom