• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Xbox Message - You Are The Future of Gaming

Microsoft/Xbox has alluded to thing's with it's marketing in the past - and then followed it up with actual tangible gaming hardware/services

Most notable, the lead up to gamepass and the ad campaigns that synergized with said gamepass service.

So I figure, 4 years down the road - Microsoft will revise its launch campaign message with some new service or piece of hardware that allows users to literally - somehow -
become the "future of gaming" be that because a new piece of hardware captures and transposes facial animations and actions into the game, maybe because we are
fast approaching a world where immersive reality through actually tapping into the game with our mind is going to become a thing. Who knows, but Microsoft notably does
this with it's ad campaigns and magazine spreads - they say or allude to something bigger, then try to follow up with tangible examples. There are obviously other Market's Microsoft has yet to fully dive into *cough*

But I wonder if anything will be revealed in the coming week - I mean, of course - something - will be revealed - but gamepass as a service and a new piece of hardware or 2 doesn't particularly make "YOU" the future of gaming.

Yes it's a very positive gamer centric message, and good on Microsoft for using it - but as history has shown - theirs probably more to that message than most realize.

Maybe they're going to make the Oasis, that'd be something.

I expect, at the very least - a new variant of Mixer on steroids.

Something that allowed in the end, audience participation in a game by dropping mass amounts of enemies and items in the players vicinity while utilizing team based gameplay - which actually... was... pretty cool in it's final form.

They quickly axed the project just as they had seemed to figure out a better/more interactive solution to audience interaction than mere chatroom participation.

But I'd rather see something closer to the oasis as far as participation is concerned. If this new slogan actually amounts to anything at all

- Gaf - Thoughts?

You do realize Microsoft PR had never being very good, right? Microsoft as a company never relied on advertising to make money on Windows software, which was why their PR division is basically really, really bad. From "Beta Tested in the Future" to the complete lies that was the entire Kinect campaign. Microsoft is generally better off not saying anything over opening their mouths.

But okay, you can be optimistic if you want.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
4l2239.jpg

MrS

Banned
It's an interesting idea, a good idea. Give the people the choice of how they buy into an ecosystem, be it PC game pass, Xbox console/console game pass, Xcloud, potentially an Xcloud stick that goes directly in to the TV. Options are always good - I'd like to see them put game pass everywhere and for it to become as ubiquitous as Netflix.

Last edited:
Gamepass, and xcloud - has been alluded to multiple mulllllltiple times before their announcement - but those services don't make you the future of gaming in particular, they keep you at the consumer level of gaming.

So I imagine Microsoft maaay be cooking something up and will either keep alluding that "You are the future of gaming" or show something full dive off... or perhaps some new idea that somehow gives the consumer a much larger role in the future of gaming - simply choosing how you play, well that is nothing new. But such are marketing campaigns.

Who knows - Im excited as a PC gamer to see what happens in the next week or so.

Vick

A future in which single player games are dead and buried, so that games can finally have no dialogues, no cutscenes, no story, no intermediary sections, get away with bad graphics and be focused on mindless, soon to expire, multiplayer gameplay filled with anti-consumer practices only?
A future in which actually owning games is overrated?

I hope not. I hope Xbox will show us they have another future in mind in the years ahead, so i can love them again like i did during the 360 era.

TrebleShot

Its a marketing slogan, nothing more, nothing less.

It was thought up in a Friday meeting over beers and pizza and was brainstormed on a whiteboard to convey a message they think sums up their services and hardware.

Theyll ditch it in a year or so for something new like when halo actually launches.

Tschumi

Do we really need a wall of text and prompt for reflection on a pointless cliche marketing tag line?

It makes zero sense, really. I will be playing games tomorrow, but I'm not an XSX fan. Am i somehow not the future of gaming?

Xsx fans don't be fooled: gamepass is a micro-transactions focused model which will earn them more money than regular sales. It isn't some great new system - it's the same road free to play pc games which miraculously thrive follow.

The slogans I can think of off hand that became tangible over time -

Hate it - rethink the box. Xbox.
That one became a tangible product

Free To Play, Free to Grow
Alluding to Xbox Gamepass/Xcloud

All the 'create' slogans - Phil Spencer went on record stating it really meant
that internally he was working on ensuring the best dev environment for their studios
during that big Series X sit down/discuss a couple years back at e3.

And they always point out that their slogan's allude to tangible evolution's in some way -
we are fast approaching an era of full dive immersion - love how I've only been attacked for discussing it.

Top Bottom