• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: A Veteran ICE Agent, Disillusioned with the Trump Era, Speaks Out

In March, two months after President Trump took office, I received a text message from a veteran agent at Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
I had been trying to find field agents willing to describe what life was like at the agency in the Trump era. This agent agreed to talk.

”We're going to get sued," the agent told me at one point. ”You have guys who are doing whatever they want in the field, going after whoever they want."
At first, the agent spoke to me on the condition that I not publish anything about our conversations. But that has changed.
Increasingly angry about the direction in which ICE is moving, the agent agreed last week to let me publish some of the details of our talks, as long as I didn't include identifying information.

With Obama gone, and the era of micromanagement over, the agent sees long-standing standards being discarded and basic protocols questioned.
”I have officers who are more likely now to push back," the agent said. ”I'd never have someone say, ‘Why do I have to call an interpreter? Why don't they speak English?'
Now I get it frequently. I get this from people who are younger. That's one group.
And I also get it from people who are ethnocentric: ‘Our way is the right way—I shouldn't have to speak in your language. This is America.' "
It all adds up, the agent said, ”to contempt that I've never seen so rampant towards the aliens."

The agent was especially concerned about a new policy that allows ICE to investigate cases of immigrants who may have paid smugglers to bring their children or relatives into the country.
ICE considers these family members guilty of placing children ”directly in harm's way," as one spokeswoman recently put it, and the agency will hold them ”accountable for their role in these conspiracies."
According to ICE, these measures will help combat ”a constant humanitarian threat," but the agent said that rationale was just a pretext to increase arrests and eventually deport more people.
”We seem to be targeting the most vulnerable people, not the worst." The agent also believes that the policy will make it harder for the government to handle unaccompanied children who show up at the border.
”You're going to have kids stuck in detention because parents are too scared of being prosecuted to want to pick them up!" the agent said.

More at the link.

liquidtmd

Banned
I shouldn’t have to speak in your language. This is America.’

6GEIUBw_d.jpg

Breads

Banned
It is an enforcment agency built around the idea of investigating "aliens" and deporting "illegals". The ethbocentric component was always there. Trump era just let it blossom.

Yall have always been racist shits to us. Treating me as a foreigner when I've been here longer than you've been alive...

Ogodei

ICE needs to be purged, jesus

ICE, CBP, TSA (was reading an article recently where the Government Accountability Office was savaging the TSA for non-scientific methods, calling out their security theater as useless wastes of time and money. Only a fraction of their practices actually help stop terror).

Hence the fringe benefits of the Trump Administration. In the brief period before he started tanking what little credibility he had, a lot of jackboot-wannabes came out of the woodwork (especially in the weekend of the Muslim ban), outing themselves for when the government corrects itself later.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
No. They just need to be held to certain standards like all government authorities, but when the president isn't held accountable for shit, don't hold your breath for it.

Nah, he's right. ICE needs to be purged of the racists and ethnocentrism.

Oriel

“I have officers who are more likely now to push back,” the agent said. “I’d never have someone say, ‘Why do I have to call an interpreter? Why don’t they speak English?’

Oh great, now ICE is recruiting straight from Reddit.

It doesn't help that the most hateful people of immigrants apply to work at the ICE. The reality of the situation is the 99.8% of people who cross the borders illegally are just people in desperate need for a better life. Some have fears of going back due to gang violence. Unfortunately, the US government doesn't recognize that as grounds for asylum.

Alucrid

Banned
Like many ice employees, the agent was a critic of President Barack Obama, whose push to standardize enforcement practice and micromanage agents, particularly during his second term, was a source of frustration at the agency. Yet with Obama gone, and the era of micromanagement over, the agent sees long-standing standards being discarded and basic protocols questioned.

didn't like the agency on a leash, wonder if they'll like the agency being put down after trump

NandoGip

I have many family members who are undocumented, anyone can tell you how fucked ICE is. Undocumented immigrants are treated like rapist or murderers.

Like, yeah okay theyre here technically illegally, but the only difference between them and us is the fact that they don't have a social security number.

Most of them still pay taxes due to the hope that it will help them in a possible court scenario. On top of that their sole motivation is to work and provide for their family.

ICE officers are brainwashed into thinking undocumented immigrants are all scum, and they treat the immigrants like they're dirt.

g11

Illegal immigrants aren't criminals.

I mean, technically according to the letter of the law, they are, but probably 90%+ are only guilty of violating immigration law. ICE should focus on the actual violent criminal illegals (mostly gangs/organized crime AFAIK) instead of harassing the ones just looking for work.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
To show you just how fucked up ICE and its priorities are just remember that there are churches across the country sheltering families of undocumented immigrants. They're a rotten organization full of scummy assholes.

Shoeless

America is turning into a place where people with criminal tendencies join some kind of law enforcement organization so they can exercise their criminal tendencies without criminal punishment. It's like A Clockwork Orange without British accents.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Eh? Illegal and criminal are basically synonymous. If you're breaking the law you're a criminal.

You know, speeding doesn't make you a criminal. I have to imagine that our legal system has the potential leaves a lot of room for a gradient of classifications before the severely loaded classification of criminal is applied. Once you're labeled as a criminal here, you are treated something less human.

Fercho

I remember that in another thread some time ago, i said that ICE was becoming in Trump's own Gestapo and some people got mad.

Well, there it is.

Caja 117

That should be determined before or as they enter the country imo. I don't think that's such an unreasonable position to take.
If they are crossing the border I dont think you can tell that, those that comes with a visa are vetted so they have clean record, not saying a group of real criminals might pass, but thats not the norm.

Oriel

That should be determined before or as they enter the country imo. I don't think that's such an unreasonable position to take.

I think we can all agree that there should be a legal route in which to enter the US and all should endeavour to travel legally. That still doesn't mean those living in the country illegally should be deported at a moments notice, tearing families apart.

Gero

Just letting you guys know it took my parents 21 years just to get legal residence here in the United States.

If something is illegal, isn't it criminal by definition?

Does illegally entering a country go on your immigration history or your criminal record?

Does a mnor driving violation add points to your license or go on your criminal record?

That should be the answer.

Eh? Illegal and criminal are basically synonymous. If you're breaking the law you're a criminal.

I believe you're British?

In England, detained immigrants (usually those who have disobeyed orders to leave) are able to work within the detention centres, are given phones, don't wear prison uniforms, etc. The staff are reminded not to treat them like criminals, because that lady who left her home country and didn't want to return to am abusive relationship isn't a criminal. They've not been convicted of any crimes.

They didn't something wrong regarding immigration laws, but that doesn't make you a criminal.

L Thammy

If it ends up taking years to enter the country legally, or if they are prevented from doing so for some reason totally unrelated to criminality, you can understand why illegals felt they had to avoid the process.

America is turning into a place where people with criminal tendencies join some kind of law enforcement organization so they can exercise their criminal tendencies without criminal punishment. It's like A Clockwork Orange without British accents.

Turning into? My friend you have been blind for far too long.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The reason they aren't illegal and instead undocumented is because if it was illegal they would be given due process. It's something either side of the issue don't want to touch.

sangreal

no they aren't, there are civil and criminal offenses. being present in the country without valid papers is not criminal

illegal entry is a crime. you do not need to enter illegally to be an "illegal alien"

The reason they aren't illegal and instead undocumented is because if it was illegal they would be given due process. It's something either side of the issue don't want to touch.

Salmon, and most others who abjure ”illegal" immigrant, prefer to use the adjective ”undocumented," which I also used several times in my article. The term is clearly accurate, but also incomplete. The problem of the family in my piece is not simply that it lacks a document, like an American who, say, is kept from voting because he or she lacks a driver's license or other photo I.D. The problem is that the law currently forbids the family from living in the United States. The family is not authorized to be here, which is different, I think, from simply needing a piece of paper.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/should-i-use-the-term-illegal-immigrant

Nydius

The ICE is gonna have to setter for something else evil like a devil or a swastika or some shit.

They should just steal - err, borrow - the United States Police Force logo from the Escape From New York/Los Angeles franchise. The Escape from L.A. one would probably be most ideal, given the obvious design similarities to another particular despotic Eagle insignia...

John-Carpenters-Escape-from-LA-United-States-Police-Force.png

Breads

Banned
Fuck this stupid attitude. Someone here illegally isn't the same thing as a mugger or drug pusher or kidnapper and you damn well know it. This toxic and shitty view causes a lot of undue harm to immigrants here both legally and illegally as well as people simply born here.

The concept of dehumanizing law abiding "illegals" has got to go. You don't serve any community when perpetuating it.

bionic77

Like all articles from the last 6 months you could summarize it as 'Jesus Christ America is doing a lot of evil and racist shit'.

That pretty much sums up Trumps America. Let's hope it is short lived.

Top Bottom