• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: The Best Video Games of 2015

Granjinha

Damn, Sunless Sea deserves it. An AMAZING game and quite unique, too. I have about 40 hours and can't wait for the expansion. Great list overall.

The only games i don't agree are Darkest Dungeon (still EA) and The Begginer's Guide.

No Life is Strange. No Witcher. No Fallout. No Ori.

This is a bad list that reads like someone has an agenda.

my favorite games aren't there so there's gotta be an agenda guys

right guys

guys?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The narrative was clearly their only concern, but I think it would have been nice to add a little more environmental interaction and a faster sprinting speed purely for the sake of convenience.

More opinions... Nice that you have them.

If the story was their *only* concern, then I imagine they would have just written something.

Anno

Holy shit, I'm really surprised Sunless Sea got an award. Did not expect that at all.

Congrats to those guys.

It's still dangerous, though. I agree with the sentiment, but not too long ago they made one specific alteration that completely changed everything, and many people hated what the game became because of it. So much that they had to include the old method again as an option.

I feel like it would be better if Early Access games didn't count. It's also a bit of a silly reason, that it's more complete than many games. Many games are definitely shorter than half of however long Final Fantasy XV will be. Doesn't mean it's ok for them to just release the first half they said it's almost ready and don't bother finishing the rest anymore.

The story mode is a pretty damn important feature to not take into consideration when nominating it for GOTY.

Even if everything works out perfectly, and the final game is just a much better version of the early access game, what if it influences it the other way around? Early Access it's only the #10 game, but the full one is the best thing you've played in the year?

It's just a dumb move to indicate an early access game, in my opinion.

Yeah I don't really disagree, but I guess he does. To the first point though, these folks have a pretty good history of being accommodating in the face of radical changes.

I wouldn't put it on any list of mine until next year, but I can see someone enjoying the game now to the point that they include it on theirs.

I like to see GOTY lists as an opportunity to discover good games that I might have never heard about or would have otherwise passed up.

Great list in that case.

It's not a very good list that serves to validate the opinions of manchildren or make big publishers happy, which is what you would usually expect from the games media.

BokehKing

Banned
It's all subjective. Personally a poor list I think.

Ori and the Blind Forest should be up in that top 10 minimum.

Rocket League should be there as well.

Be interesting to see how high MGSV is on gaffers games of the year. Never played it but after release with all the micro transactions it seemed a lot of people fell out of love with it very quickly
Why do you think ori should be there? It's not something new and different, you know, which seems to be the basis of the list

Rocket League on the other hand....is different (though still a sequel to s game that came out years ago)

"Detractors refer to this style of game, ungenerously, as a 'walking simulator', as if Call of Duty, with its slim corridors of action, offers anything substantively different."

ayy burn

scott_pilgrim_burn_by_digi_matrix-d8jz261.gif

Her Story plays fine on a old iPad 2 right?
Yes, but it's much better to play on a computer. Mainly because 1) the touchscreen keyboard blocks part of the screen when you type and 2) much like Uplink, part of the atmosphere and experience is that you are the person at your desktop, looking through files, solving the mystery. The illusion is somewhat broken on mobile

Gameplay-wise, though, it's perfectly playable

It's still dangerous, though. I agree with the sentiment, but not too long ago they made one specific alteration that completely changed everything, and many people hated what the game became because of it. So much that they had to include the old method again as an option.

I feel like it would be better if Early Access games didn't count. It's also a bit of a silly reason, that it's more complete than many games. Many games are definitely shorter than half of however long Final Fantasy XV will be. Doesn't mean it's ok for them to just release the first half they said it's almost ready and don't bother finishing the rest anymore.

The story mode is a pretty damn important feature to not take into consideration when nominating it for GOTY.

Even if everything works out perfectly, and the final game is just a much better version of the early access game, what if it influences it the other way around? Early Access it's only the #10 game, but the full one is the best thing you've played in the year?

It's just a dumb move to indicate an early access game, in my opinion.
You know he was cognisant of that, right? I don't know where you're getting this misguided info that they've only released half of Darkest Dungeon. You get enough of a story from the adventures and struggles you go on with the nature of the game, "story mode completion" or "final dungeon environment" aren't like some gigantic missing features from the game already. This isn't some game where all of the story is told through cutscenes and they're missing. It's just more content. But he found the experience still was worth recommending because it was inventive and produced a new wrinkle on these kind of roguelike survival games. It does mental problems well when most games are embarassing. It's a Lovecraftian game not just aesthetically but mechanically, which is rare.

"The invention is in the way that your squad members experience trauma, and how that fear, dread, and grief can affect their abilities and, it follows, their chances. Manage to return home safely and you’ll need to send your team off for recuperative therapy, either at the local bar, the church, or the whorehouse. Video games have long asked us to care for the physical health of our avatars. Now we must consider their mental well-being, too."

Aaron D.

Yes, but it's much better to play on a computer. Mainly because 1) the touchscreen keyboard blocks part of the screen when you type and 2) much like Uplink, part of the atmosphere and experience is that you are the person at your desktop, looking through files, solving the mystery. The illusion is somewhat broken on mobile

Gameplay-wise, though, it's perfectly playable

Don't hear Uplink mentioned too often.

Have you heard of Hacknet?

Aaron D.

Nice.

Hopefully it will get a Steam Holiday Sale discount.

Game is freakin' awesome. Landed in my Top 10 this year and everything.

Nice.

Hopefully it will get a Steam Holiday Sale discount.

Game is freakin' awesome. Landed in my Top 10 this year and everything.
Have you played/seen Duskers? It's in my top ten this year and it's not hacking, but you do control drones through command lines. Makes for very methodical, cautious, and strategic gameplay. Sci-fi horror/strategy/roguelite

There's a thread for it over here

Joeku

Hacknet had a quick look. Edit: Nvm, thought I was in the Giant Bomb topic.

Fuck, I need to go back and finish it. It did a really cool thing like an hour or two in. I love fake hacking games. Uplink is the shit. There's some free one from like a decade ago that's only an hour long but you end up uploading a list of names from a hacker group to the DOD, FBI, and CIA servers and go scorched earth towards the end or something like that. It was fucking rad.

Have you played/seen Duskers? It's in my top ten this year and it's not hacking, but you do control drones through command lines. Makes for very methodical, cautious, and strategic gameplay. Sci-fi horror/strategy/roguelite

There's a thread for it over here

Never even heard of this. That looks awesome, too.

Solid list. Really enjoyed the mentions of Downwell, Splatoon, Xenoblade X, and even Sunless Sea.

On another note, I've read throughout this thread and all this talk of agendas, hipster bullshit, and supposed pretentiousness is just something else.

I can't tell if it's just a general saltiness, or if people are just being dunces to get a rise out of others like myself.

Solid list. Really enjoyed the mentions of Downwell, Splatoon, Xenoblade X, and even Sunless Sea.

On another note, I've read throughot this thread and all this talk of agendas, hipster bullshit, and supposed pretentiousness is just something else.

I can't tell if it's just a general saltiness, or if people are just being dunces to get a rise out of others like myself.

If it's not on PS4 it's for hipsters, obviously

On another note, I've read throughot this thread and all this talk of agendas, hipster bullshit, and supposed pretentiousness is just something else.

It's quite sad

People should see these games praised so highly as a testament to their quality, rather than a reason to disregard them

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I really like the list (though we clearly have different favorites). His comments were thoughtful and insightful.

I had never heard of Sunless Sea. I'm going to check it out.

I wish Super Mario Maker was in here, but otherwise it's solid. Don't agree with Bloodborne in top 5, but a lot of people like it, so makes sense.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Gave Sunless Sea a few hours, didn't catch. If I'm going to have to read that much text I prefer it to be a book instead of a game. YMMV.

Simon Parkin is hands-down one of the best people writing about games today. I initially saw a trailer for Sunless Sea, thought it looked cool, but didn't buy it. Then I read his review on Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-06-sunless-sea-review) and bought it immediately.

A game I'd only heard of in passing was suddenly presented to me in a way that piqued my interest - that, to me, is one of the most valuable aspects of game criticism: shining a light on the obscure or unknown titles that aren't always covered by most outlets.

Which is to say, if you're only looking for lists that confirm your own favorites, that's fine, but you're gonna miss out on a lot of potentially cool shit. :)

For as much as I might disagree with some of the author's choices in GotY, I can't help but appreciate how honest this list feels.

As to the winner itself: it's a well deserved #1, because someone had to--it's a game that is owed more recognition than it'll ever get. Sunless Sea establishes an atmosphere and presence that most games never even know exist; it's artistic, witty, and intelligent in its approach to storytelling and gameplay, weaving the two together into one. It's not a perfect game, but it's definitely one of the smartest in this year of our lord 2015. And like the writer says, it's unforgettable--Zeeing is believing.

Congrats, Failbetter. I eagerly await... everything.
Simon Parkin is hands-down one of the best people writing about games today. I initially saw a trailer for Sunless Sea, thought it looked cool, but didn't buy it. Then I read his review on Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-06-sunless-sea-review) and bought it immediately.

A game I'd only heard of in passing was suddenly presented to me in a way that piqued my interest - that, to me, is one of the most valuable aspects of game criticism: shining a light on the obscure or unknown titles that aren't always covered by most outlets.

Which is to say, if you're only looking for lists that confirm your own favorites, that's fine, but you're gonna miss out on a lot of potentially cool shit. :)

That Eurogamer 10 is what got me into it, too. I'm really glad it did.

It also inadvertently introduced me to Failbetter's browser game Fallen London, set in the same universe. Lots of fun.

KR_remix

People who like Sunless Sea should check out their browser game, Fallen London. It is based in the same world and the writing is just as fantastic. It's the reason I backed Sunless Sea in the first place. Definitely was expecting this game to get forgotten since it came out so early in the year and so many people played it last year when it was in early access.

Gilby

Man, Downwell getting so much attention without anyone talking about the game it's apeing makes me sad. Go play Probability Zero!

Seriously, go play more of Droqen's stuff! SSP made me quit school to switch to game design, the guy deserves so much more recognition! http://www.probability0.com/

Man, Downwell getting so much attention without anyone talking about the game it's apeing makes me sad. Go play Probability Zero!
It's far from the only downward shooter/platformer and Downwell is way more of arcade-y pedal-to-the-medal experience compared to Zero's slower, platforming-heavy pace. They're comparable in being downward roguelites, but that's about it IMO

Glad to see EGTTR getting some love but why is SOMA getting shafted on every list? Even the PS4 exclusive lists and honorable mentions.

Did everyone else enjoy that so much less than me?

GOTY shade only feeds the games you hate on!

Learn this people! Geez!

16ZWVu9.jpg

Buy faster!
There's something so compelling about well-written flavor text and description in interactive fiction/text-heavy games. I'm a description-heavy writer myself, so I love reading those flowing adjectives and details that paint the picture in your head more vividly than any graphic engine ever could

80 Days is another game that excels at that

Gilby

It's far from the only downward shooter/platformer and Downwell is way more of arcade-y pedal-to-the-medal experience compared to Zero's slower, platforming-heavy pace. They're comparable in being downward roguelites, but that's about it IMO

I'm not saying it's a ripoff, but the black and red artstyle combined with the upgrade system and downward-roguelikeliness certainly should have drawn some comparisons. Prob 0 also picks up the pace considerably as it continues. I just wish that Droqen's stuf got more attention in general, his game jam stuff is great too.

DocSeuss

Still bummed that nobody's mentioning The Magic Circle, which I think is one of the most important games of the year. Simon gave me pretty good reason for not including it, though, because he is a champion. But still, I would have included it. I am including it on my own list. He is tremendous.

Yup.

And Witcher fans said Bloodborne fans were salty...

That's because they are. Bloodborne fans regularly launch into lengthy tirades of conspiracy theories and other, similar nonsense because one game show didn't give it all the awards.

Expressing surprise that the best RPG ever made is not on a game of the year list is pretty benign in comparison to the Bloodborne fan meltdowns.

There's something so compelling about well-written flavor text and description in interactive fiction/text-heavy games. I'm a description-heavy writer myself, so I love reading those flowing adjectives and details that paint the picture in your head more vividly than any graphic engine ever could

80 Days is another game that excels at that

Even as I was playing 80 Days, I was struggling to believe it was any good.

What a fool I was. Brilliant game. Is that a 2015 game? I should put it on my game of the year list.

Failbetter also made Dragon Age: The Last Court (a browser game in the style of Fallen London; has a save import bonus into GotY 2014 Dragon Age: Inquisition.) I would go so far to say that TLC has the best writing in all of Dragon Age.

I really can't say enough good things about Failbetter's writing chops. They're so good.
People who like Sunless Sea should check out their browser game, Fallen London. It is based in the same world and the writing is just as fantastic. It's the reason I backed Sunless Sea in the first place. Definitely was expecting this game to get forgotten since it came out so early in the year and so many people played it last year when it was in early access.

Playing Fallen London is the only time anyone'll ever enjoy a pantry full of rats.

SarusGray

Still bummed that nobody's mentioning The Magic Circle, which I think is one of the most important games of the year. Simon gave me pretty good reason for not including it, though, because he is a champion. But still, I would have included it. I am including it on my own list. He is tremendous.

That's because they are. Bloodborne fans regularly launch into lengthy tirades of conspiracy theories and other, similar nonsense because one game show didn't give it all the awards.

Expressing surprise that the best RPG ever made is not on a game of the year list is pretty benign in comparison to the Bloodborne fan meltdowns.

What a fool I was. Brilliant game. Is that a 2015 game? I should put it on my game of the year list.

Tbh the salt in this thread has been pretty real with Witcher 3. Both fanbase has their vocal sides.

Randomizer

For once a list with lots of non-mainstream choices. I always love to see this even if my own choices are heavily mainstream. :p

It came out on Steam this year, so technically yes
Also if you haven't played it recently, there was an update in September that added another 100,000 words of content

Have you checked out Inkle's Sorcery games?

KR_remix

I really can't say enough good things about Failbetter's writing chops. They're so good.

Playing Fallen London is the only time anyone'll ever enjoy a pantry full of rats.

When Sunless Sea was announced it was basically a dream come true for me, because of how great their writing is and how Fallen London isn't meant to be played in binge sessions(which is how I usually like to play games). Their writing is just gripping in a way that most games aren't. It just has a way of grabbing my attention and peaking my curiosity just enough to keep me wanting some more.

You know he was cognisant of that, right? I don't know where you're getting this misguided info that they've only released half of Darkest Dungeon. You get enough of a story from the adventures and struggles you go on with the nature of the game, "story mode completion" or "final dungeon environment" aren't like some gigantic missing features from the game already. This isn't some game where all of the story is told through cutscenes and they're missing. It's just more content. But he found the experience still was worth recommending because it was inventive and produced a new wrinkle on these kind of roguelike survival games. It does mental problems well when most games are embarassing. It's a Lovecraftian game not just aesthetically but mechanically, which is rare.

"The invention is in the way that your squad members experience trauma, and how that fear, dread, and grief can affect their abilities and, it follows, their chances. Manage to return home safely and you’ll need to send your team off for recuperative therapy, either at the local bar, the church, or the whorehouse. Video games have long asked us to care for the physical health of our avatars. Now we must consider their mental well-being, too."
This last part reminds me of Lost Patrol. This was an awesome game dealing with war and the psychological trauma induced by the decisions of the soldiers.

Good to see mods taking some action on the idiots that cry over list threads.
Same thing happened in the thread about Time's list. God forbid a mobile game like Prune gets the top spot, the horror

As much as I enjoy discussion on GAF, the knee-jerk reactions that pop up regarding some topics is kind of annoying. Especially as someone who mainly plays indies 99% of the time

Lists that highlight lesser-known games are awesome avenues to learn about the great games that might not get the attention they deserve during the year.

TheFlow

Banned
honestly decent list, and good way to give spotlight to some indie titles. But why is no one showing hotline miami 2 love.

Top Bottom