• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next RE Remake....

Madflavor

I can't seem them doing RE6 over again. The budget would be even crazier than it was back then, and why remake a game people hated?

Kokoloko85

Code Veronica. Then take a break and remake Dino Crisis, Onimusha etc

Then come back to RE PS6/Xbox nxt generation, no cross gen and remake RE1-0 and the Revelations series in full next gen glory

Perrott

Gold Member
This is what the release schedule for the Resident Evil series for what's left of this console generation is gonna look like imo:
  • Resident Evil 9 "Apocalypse" (2024)
  • Resident Evil 1 Remake (Early 2026, 30th Anniversary)
  • Resident Evil 5 Remake (Early 2028)
It would be extremely cool if they were able to release Resident Evil – Code: Veronica Remake in early 2027, but I don't know how much the current-day Capcom cares about that specific entry.

HYDE

Banned
This is what the release schedule for the Resident Evil series for what's left of this console generation is gonna look like imo:
  • Resident Evil 9 "Apocalypse" (2024)
  • Resident Evil 1 Remake (Early 2026, 30th Anniversary)
  • Resident Evil 5 Remake (Early 2028)
This is perfect imo…the only thing being I think swap RE5 REMAKE with RE9.
RE9 is a ways off of releasing as RE8 was just last year.
Please Capcom be sure RE2R & RE4R team are working on RE1R & RE5R…
give RE6 to the RE3R team Lol! 😂

I honestly prefer if they move Resident Evil forward, work on RE9 next or even a Dino Crisis remake or something, but whatever. If they gotta do another remake, I rather see Code Veronica or even something like Revelations. I still don’t think RE5 needs a remake because it still looks good imo. Also, the game will probably be modified unfortunately for the “modern audiences” like other games or deemed offensive for the obvious reasons.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Makes no sense to remake 5 before CV story wise. but CV is way too short to be remade into a full title like 4 so they should put CV and 5 together imo.

Chiggs

Makes no sense to remake 5 before CV story wise. but CV is way too short to be remade into a full title like 4 so they should put CV and 5 together imo.

Code Veronica's campaign is comparable to Part 1 or Part 2...if not longer.

Want too short? Play Resident Evil 3: Nemesis...which they already remade, so....

Last edited:
I really think they will do 5 , even if I want Code Veronica , I think Code Veronica will be too much work for them , Re5 resembles 4 and they will probably do a darker closer to horror tone. just like Re4 remake

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They signpost it with big flashing flights at the end of RE4 remake. 5 is next.

Apocryphon

Would it though?
If they redesign the gameplay systems in Zero to be more in line with the RE2/3/4 remakes, then it has potential. Maybe just focus on Rebecca Chambers. It has some good locations, decent weapons, and great enemy variety. Less action, more survival horror… more RE2make than RE3/4. Maybe even combine Zero and the original game into a 20 hour epic.

I’m all for the continuation of Claire’s story with CV if it’s going to be more like RE2 though. I couldn’t care less about 5 and 6 tbh. I’d take a Revelations remake if they cut everything but the ship. That location I think could work incredibly well in a larger scope RE2make style game. Lots of atmosphere.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's definitely going to be RE1 next. 2026 is it's 30th anniversary.
No, they’ll just go on with the numbered entries. 5 is going to be next.
Although I do wish you were right. Not really excited about RE5 because I don’t think Capcom will do extensive rewritin.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How I think the releases will be handled by teams
Team 1 (Remake/2make/4make)
Team 2 (RE7/8 RE/3make Team)

RE9 - 2024 - Team 1/2
Returns to 3rd person with retuning characters
Leon & Jill
RE5 - 2025 - Team 2
Completely reimagined, game now has two scenarios with Sheva Alomar as the second scenario.
Chris & Sheva are no longer tied the hip and will have separate Scenarios that interwoven with eachother.
When united they will be a AI partner like Luis in RE4

RE 30th Anniversary - 2026 - Team 1
BIG project, Resident Evil 0/Remake story are combined and rewritten to be coherent.
While familiar RE0's story will be completely different.
Like RE5, Rebecca & Billy are no longer tied the hip and will have separate Scenarios that interwoven with eachother, Billy will be referenced in RE section of the game.
Yet again When united they will be a AI partner like Luis in RE4.
RE story will remain the same in this respect with the exception Rebecca having a bigger presence in the game and the RE1 chapter starting in the forest instead of the mansion and some additional details and expanded sections, ie the Mansion is a lot bigger this time round.
Rebecca will have her own DLC which picks up after the events of RE0 and includes interactions with Chris, Barry & Jill.
Those interactions with Chris & Jill will be present in the main game.
Barry will also have Story DLC too.

Perrott

Gold Member
This is perfect imo…the only thing being I think swap RE5 REMAKE with RE9.
RE9 is a ways off of releasing as RE8 was just last year.
Please Capcom be sure RE2R & RE4R team are working on RE1R & RE5R…
give RE6 to the RE3R team Lol! 😂
Well, the next mainline entry in the Resident Evil series entered development back in 2019 under the working title "RE Apocalypse", which we know to have been originally slated for a release in Q4 2023 per the leaked Capcom schedule from 2020. There's likely been some setbacks in its production throughout these last couple of years, so I'm counting on RE9 being a 2024 release now.

skylight

Neo Member
Resident Evil will get a remake in First Person, Zero and Code Veronica as well. They will do it when they're "done" with the VII, VIII and probable IX. Imagine the mansion in first person.

Then the sequels will be in third person again. When the cycle ends, time to remake Resident Evil 5 and...6.

I mean, we've now had remakes for 2, 3, and 4 in that order, so it would seem logical to infer the next will be 5 (or to return to the first game and then jump back).

Are 5 and 6 as old looking as the others, obviously not... particularly 6, which is relatively new (2013).

However, neither could be considered so far so ahead of its time visually that it would be silly to remake them.

Truth is, it would be very strange if Capcom don't remake the 5th and 6th installments in the series - especially considering how well received the other remakes have been and how much money they have made.

I mean, if The Last of Us can be remade there's absolutely no reason these games can't be either.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I mean, we've now had remakes for 2, 3, and 4 in that order, so it would seem logical to infer the next will be 5 (or to return to the first game and then jump back).

Are 5 and 6 as old looking as the others, obviously not... particular 6, which is relatively new (2013).

However, neither could be considered so far so ahead of its time visually that it would be silly to remake them.

Truth is, it would be very strange if Capcom don't remake the 5th and 6th installments in the series - especially considering how well received the other remakes have been and how much money they have made.

I mean, if The Last of Us can be remade there's absolutely no reason these games can't be either.
5 and 6 are the best selling games in the franchise, too.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I want Capcom to stop.
Make a new game.

So, it's been what... 2 years? We haven't seen or heard anything about it since. It looks cool concept-wise and visually, but nothing more than that. I honestly don't think that Pragmata will ever see the light of the day and will end up at the store shelves as a fully realized and finished game.

I'm not saying they don't need to make new IPs, they sure need to at some point... it's just... can they really when it comes to SP only games? Pragmata is their first SP new IP in 10 years. Who asked for Exoprimal while there's millions (and counting) of similar games out there? Also, new RE (after 4) and Dino Crisis remakes can be completely new and modern games, does it matter if it's their old IP and if these games will actually be great?

5 and 6 are the best selling games in the franchise, too.
Now that's...

RE5 all time sales - 13.4 million
RE6 all time sales - 11.7 million

Daaaaamn, no wonder they've gone full force with pure action BS in 6, BUT! They realized that it's not what RE should be in the end didn't they (much less so with 7 and 8 though)?

RE2R sales so far - 11 million
RE3R sales so far - 6 million - for such a short game with not even all content remade, that's not bad sales figures at all.

I'm sure RE4R will sell at least 8-10 by the end of the year. Also, I'm not sure anyone noticed this...

You can clearly see reflection of a photo with Excella Gionne on it, clearly hinting at RE5 and that it might be next... after who knows what - RE9?

FQn0RST.png
excella-gionne.png

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'd rather RE9 first than an RE5 remake. Near the end of the RE4 remake on PS5. Was a little disappointed with the performance/graphics options and overall blurry inage quality but the game itself makes up for it I guess.

Roni

Gold Member
CV will be the next survival horror remake and 5 will be the action remake. They'll just use 4's ending as an opportunity to push Chris to the forefront for Wesker's arc and flesh out the story. From there, maybe remake 0, 1 and 6.

Someone floated the idea of fusing 0 and 1, honestly not a bad idea. Or make Zero campaign a DLC of the re-remake of 1. That would be pure survival horror, of course, and then 6 as the action remake of that wave.

Last edited:
I'd rather RE9 first than an RE5 remake. Near the end of the RE4 remake on PS5. Was a little disappointed with the performance/graphics options and overall blurry inage quality but the game itself makes up for it I guess.
I agree.

I tried the demo on ps5 and pc, and even though my pc is lower mid tier I decided to get it on pc over the ps5.

The performance mode on ps5 was just a little blurry, as you say, and with it lacking the suite of options available on pc, and the fact it was £20 more expensive, and has no refund policy unlike steam, I went with the pc version.
On the whole, even at low settings, it's a very nice looking game - but having settled on something approaching what would be considered medium settings, I'm happy with how it looks.

My only issue is the FoV.

I know some say it's always been that way and/or is deliberate to add tension etc...but it's so restrictive.
Leon takes up so much of the screen, which can be frustrating, especially during exploration.
He also feels a little heavy and unwieldy.

Otherwise, I don't really have any complaints.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So how the fuck can they do Wesker right, since obviously they're going for RE5 next?

Just look at all this nonsense, Jesus effin' Christ.

I'd say no matter what they're going for in RE5R, first thing they need to do is completely remove co-op and make Wesker more like Nicholai, but with a lot more added screentime and interaction in cut-scenes. There should be no direct fights with him as he and Nicholai are at their best when they're ruining your plans, always one step ahead and only periodically showing up here and there at crucial moments. If Wesker needs to go at some point by our hands one way or the other, it should be similar to how RE3 did it for Nicholai without direct gameplay and combat confrontation - Krauser-like mutation also not gonna cut it in any way shape or form, so fuck that too.

As fot the rest of the game.... oh, dear god. They need to literally move an effin' planet to save it. Absolutely everything related to gameplay and core design of original needs to be thrown into a volcano and pissed all over from the top as a finishing blow. Everything they did with this game is wrong. Africa setting - GTFO! How the game can even be called RE and be in survival horror genre if 90% of the whole game, you're under a blazing hot African sun and +50°!? WHAT? Fuck all that. This game was originally built from the ground up to be mindless and dumb co-op TPS with heavy reliance on action even more so than original RE4., there's no saving it without a complete re-design closer to RE2-3 and the best parts of RE4 (not the Island).

RE5 can be a devastating blow to RE IP all over again if they'll stick to almost everything that was in original, only changing things here and there like they did for RE4 (removing dumb shit, replacing it with far more interesting stuff), it won't fix anything, cuz it's rotten to the core no matter how you'll be dancing around it. RE4 still not perfect, but it's miles better than original game and much closer to what RE should be. This is where you need to use "completely destroy and create something new" approach and by need I mean you litteraly have no other choice with RE5, it can't be turned in to RE4 situation by only selectively removing dumb shit.

I don't like RE7 and RE8 that much (latter more than the former)... but even considering everything these game done right and completely wrong (or just not interesting whatsoever), they're still miles better than original RE5, Capcom! For the love of fuck don't fuck it up! I even can close my eyes if RE9 won't be that much better than 7 and 8, but ONLY IF I'll know that RE5 will be effin' amazing and completely devoid of everything original game was starting from design, heavy reliance on action and co-op and ending with setting, pure ridiculousness and sheer stupidity and absurdity of everything else.

Not only is your company's reputation is at stake here, but also people's reception and their attitude towards your company, their will and desire to support it and ultimately fund your future projects. Capcom, you seriously need to ask yourself a question - are you sure you can recover from another RE6 disaster and stay afloat thanks to Monster Hunter and SF? You can't effin' fix the core design of the game once it's already done with a patch and get people's strust and money back. Think about it a million times before doing anything while and if there's still time, there's no going back after the final decision is being made.

SpanishDistortedDonkey-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
1) stop making games for last gen
3) remake RE1 (again), taking advantage of the mostly enclosed spaces to set a new standard for survival horror visuals.

I mean, just imagine that shit with ray tracing. Capcom clearly has it in them to create some visual masterpieces, fuckingggg do it.

Motivate Shia Labeouf GIF

Also, if they've reached the limits of what they can do with the RE engine, move to UE5 and use all of the fancy features (Lumen, Nanite, quixel scans) to really pull out the stops. They kinda did it with the original RE 1 remake back on Gamecube, and then again with RE 7 and then again with RE2 remake.

Everything since RE2 remake has visually been... "yeah good but not wowed anymore, sorry!"

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
fuck 5 and 6 , terrible games
I'm with ya, but at the same time they can make completely new 5 and 6 and much better than originals - I already wrote my take on this here. But will they? That's a million dollar question right now and it's obvious that they're going to make 5 next and... it can be terrible or just mediocre... or both. 1st is the safest and easiest remake they could do, CV much less so cuz it needs to be completely new.

Last edited:
I'm with ya, but at the same time they can make completely new 5 and 6 and much better than originals - I already wrote my take on this here.
They could, but what's the point? For story purposes? Because they've long lost any chance of Resident Evil having an overall plot anyone can take seriously or even care about.

Madflavor

I feel the need to comment on people bringing up RE6 being the 2nd best selling game in the series. RE6 was not a big success for Capcom. The budget for that game was a lot higher than RE5, and they were expecting massive sales. It did have good sales at launch, but after word of mouth got out, it quickly lost it's momentum. More than half of RE6's sales are from when the game dropped in price. Right now RE6 is the 2nd highest selling game, but it also has the benefit of releasing 5 years before the Resident Evil Renaissance began with RE7. The last report we got from RE7's sales was 11.7 million. I expect some RE games that came out between 2017 - 2023 to eventually surpass RE6's lifetime sales, and that's probably happening soon if it hasn't already, because we don't know what the digital sales are.

https://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-6-fails-to-meet-sales-projections-again/

This is part of why I'd be surprised if they actually remade RE6. It's the black sheep of the series, and not a fond memory for Capcom. On top of that, RE5 is the game that wrapped up the storylines with Wesker, Umbrella, Spencer, and the Plagas virus. RE6 was an attempt to begin a new arc, but after that fell flat on it's face, the series went through a heavy course correction and the rest was history.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Because they've long lost any chance of Resident Evil having an overall plot anyone can take seriously or even care about.
Was RE plots even taken seriously by anyone ever? How can anyone even take seriously a game about slowly walking corpses, viruses and other completely unrealistic stuff?:messenger_grinning_sweat:
They have 2 games already with basically fully connected plot and locations, one of which explaining how sertain things happened, who's responsible etc. We're now missing the real RE3 in a form I suggested (instead of ~ 1 to 1 CV remake) to connect it to RE4 story and character arcs-wise.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's going to be RE1. Third person over the shoulder like the other remakes, next-gen only, and the mansion will look even better than the pre-rendered backgrounds of the 2002 remake.

It'll set a new bar for visuals.

I also think that RE1 will be the last of the remakes and they won't touch 5, 6 or CV.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dino Crysis, going to take a break from RE remakes
Gets a bit silly the closer we get to recent numbers. 5 is the last they can get away with without it being ridiculous. 6 was hardly their best title, but it's way too new to remake. Unless of course it's all been a grand scheme to rewrite 6 after 7 did so well as a fresh start and 6 is them closing the circle they started with 2.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Was RE plots even taken seriously by anyone ever? How can anyone even take seriously a game about slowly walking corpses, viruses and other completely unrealistic stuff?:messenger_grinning_sweat:
They have 2 games already with basically fully connected plot and locations, one of which explaining how sertain things happened, who's responsible etc. We're now missing the real RE3 in a form I suggested (instead of ~ 1 to 1 CV remake) to connect it to RE4 story and character arcs-wise.
RE's world has a coherent enough story/world, at least in the originals and up to 5.

Can no fiction be taken seriously if it has unrealistic elements? That cuts out all science fiction and anything approaching magic.

Chiggs

RE6 all time sales - 11.7 million

Most of which were sold at heavily discounted rates.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/resident-evil-6-sells-4-9-million-disappoints

Not hard to do the math...even if there's not a story out there that directly says it.

Capcom today released financial results for the year ended March 31, reporting that its Resident Evil 6 sold 4.9 million units (enough to be the fourth best-seller in company history), but still managed to disappoint.

The publisher said that the game initially sold "at a brisk pace" when it was launched last October. However, Resident Evil 6 sales "subsequently plateaued."
As a result, it did not meet with our projection and thus was not able to play a role in leading the segment's sales growth." (Capcom had originally projected the game to sell 7 million copies.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom