• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You asked for 8K/120 and a portable PS5.

Neither will happen soon. $$$

I never said they'd be released next week. I said it can happen. It's not impossible.

A console has to take into account size, power draw, heat, and a viable price point therefore it's not realistic to expect that.

But it is technically possible, no?

I’m out of the loop, people. Is this a joke account and I’m not getting it or is this serious?

Deadly serious. No shitposting here.

Look, all I'm suggesting is that it's possible for a console to be as powerful as the most powerful PC. I understand it would be wildly expensive, but it's still possible.

We have laptops with different specs. Why not different spec consoles?

Radical_3d

Deadly serious. No shitposting here.

Look, all I'm suggesting is that it's possible for a console to be as powerful as the most powerful PC. I understand it would be wildly expensive, but it's still possible.

We have laptops with different specs. Why not different spec consoles?
Letting aside that we are talking about an hybrid console let’s assume that Xbox launches a 3.000€ console with a 5090. The current 4090 doesn’t moves, as per DF, all games at maximum 4K/60. If I remember correctly one of them was No Rest For The Wicked. Let alone 8K/120. A 600€ console in 2026 won’t hit 4K native/60 in every game.

coffinbirth

I’m out of the loop, people. Is this a joke account and I’m not getting it or is this serious?

If you get a current gen game and take away RT and reduce the resolution to 720p that’s LITERALLY the Series S. And that power is not 2 years away to be in mobile. Yes ARM is very efficient but that’s just the instruction set for the CPU. The GPU raw power doesn’t benefits from it and still needs to be powered the same way as always.
Except Series S has RT, and regularly displays games at far higher resolutions than 720p. Elden Ring is 1440p, for example. There are also native 4K games. and 1440p games running @120FPS, like Warzone. So, LITERALLY incorrect. Just look at a Steam Deck ffs, it's already old tech and can still most new "AAA" games.

Also, Baldurs Gate III, a game that infamously struggled to get on Series S. running on ARM presented by Microsoft themselves last month, on current tech...not "two years away" disputes your other claim, DIRECTLY.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Letting aside that we are talking about an hybrid console let’s assume that Xbox launches a 3.000€ console with a 5090. The current 4090 doesn’t moves, as per DF, all games at maximum 4K/60. If I remember correctly one of them was No Rest For The Wicked. Let alone 8K/120. A 600€ console in 2026 won’t hit 4K native/60 in every game.

That's fine. I'd pay £3000 or more for a console with a 5090 GPU or equivalent, 5TB SSD, 64GB GDDR, some bleeding edge liquid metal x Water cooling hybrid etc.

Something that pushes tech to the absolute limits should be an option. That's all I'm saying

Crayon

how is that an xbox? just remove the name then.

If nothing else, it's for optics. This gives them a way to support existing customers and their libraries. If they just said go play your games on pc it would be a disaster.

Just the potential cult revolt alone would be worth it. Suicide hotlines would be on fire if they just said they're ending xbox. A pc with an xbox sticker on the front is all they need to keep the faith, though.

Radical_3d

Except Series S has RT, and regularly displays games at far higher resolutions than 720p. Elden Ring is 1440p, for example. There are also native 4K games. and 1440p games running @120FPS, like Warzone. So, LITERALLY incorrect. Just look at a Steam Deck ffs, it's already old tech and can still most new "AAA" games.

Also, Baldurs Gate III, a game that infamously struggled to get on Series S. running on ARM presented by Microsoft themselves last month, on current tech...not "two years away" disputes your other claim, DIRECTLY.

Warzone as in PS4’s Warzone? Elden Ring as in PS4’s Elden Ring?
Ok.

And Baldur’s Gate is a heavily CPU burdened game. Of course a good ARM would help over a Zen 2 (I think even M1 is more powerful than a PS5’s CPU). Still doesn’t do shit for the GPU.

coffinbirth

Warzone as in PS4’s Warzone? Elden Ring as in PS4’s Elden Ring?
Ok.

And Baldur’s Gate is a heavily CPU burdened game. Of course a good ARM would help over a Zen 2 (I think even M1 is more powerful than a PS5’s CPU). Still doesn’t do shit for the GPU.
LMAO, you are PROVING MY POINT.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
That's fine. I'd pay £3000 or more for a console with a 5090 GPU or equivalent, 5TB SSD, 64GB GDDR, some bleeding edge liquid metal x Water cooling hybrid etc.

Something that pushes tech to the absolute limits should be an option. That's all I'm saying
There has to be demand for a product you are trying to sell. There is no market for an £3000 console.

coffinbirth

There has to be demand for a product you are trying to sell. There is no market for an £3000 console.
Sure there is. You're interacting with them right now.
If manufacturing Xbox consoles were to be opened up to OEM, such as the rumor goes, then it would probably be available as a day one option as an "Ultimate Xbox" build from MSI or AlienWare or whatever.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Sure there is. You're interacting with them right now.
If manufacturing Xbox consoles were to be opened up to OEM, such as the rumor goes, then it would probably be available as a day one option as an "Ultimate Xbox" build from MSI or AlienWare or whatever.

I don't see many people buying a top end Xbox OEM device unless it can do all the other things a normal Windows PC can do. It will all come down to how Microsoft implements "Xbox" as a distributor going forwards.

coffinbirth

Do you really expect many cross gen games by 2026?
I really don't expect any games that fundamentally couldn't be ran on far weaker hardware, no. (GTA VI would be THE exception, but that will run like ass on a PS5 too, in all likelihood.)

Kinda like how I can play Helldivers 2 on a nearly 10 year old pc, mate.

It's called scalable software, and I'm pretty sure it's already been a proven quantity this generation with the rise of portable gaming devices popping up left, right and center. Not really sure what you're even trying to argue at this point.

coffinbirth

Likely the only thing you wont be able to do with it is upgrade it, as it stands right now anyhow
It's always struck me as odd that Phil talked about his desire for a modular console, and then Series released with a PCIE expansion port...and it's only used for storage. Theoretically they could release a modular upgrade to Series, that IMO, would be a decent solution to mid-gen console upgrades. And yeah, I had the Sega Tower of Power growing up.

It's an interesting idea but the leadership of the Xbox division will ruin everything.

Third party manufacturers will demand to profit from hardware this is the alpha reason for this model to fail but Microsoft knows this, will they be willing to make the biggest subsidy in the history of the video game industry? I don't know, it's business not philanthropy.
the Beta reason why this model fails is that there are more spec variations, you know the xbox series S has raised complaints, you could argue that being a pc the new xbox would receive the same treatment - I say, that's bad - the devs They will never optimize because there will be the thought ''download the graph yourself or buy a more powerful Microsoft Machine''

The reason Gama makes this type of model fail is the possible division of the baby, you know an xbox with steam is not a PC but it is not a console either, it will be bad as a PC and maybe bad as a console. Will Microsoft give up charging to play online? PC nobody pays that, how to equate this?

The only way this model can work is for Microsoft to corrupt Playstation's leadership into giving up on the winning model of having dedicated hardware built in house.

I liked the xbox 360 but honestly the modern xbox isn't worth it, on the PC you can play Hellblade 2 at 60fps, no black bar, imho xbox is doomed I don't recommend it, even a future version with Steam.

coffinbirth

It's an interesting idea but the leadership of the Xbox division will ruin everything.

Third party manufacturers will demand to profit from hardware this is the alpha reason for this model to fail but Microsoft knows this, will they be willing to make the biggest subsidy in the history of the video game industry? I don't know, it's business not philanthropy.
the Beta reason why this model fails is that there are more spec variations, you know the xbox series S has raised complaints, you could argue that being a pc the new xbox would receive the same treatment - I say, that's bad - the devs They will never optimize because there will be the thought ''download the graph yourself or buy a more powerful Microsoft Machine''

The reason Gama makes this type of model fail is the possible division of the baby, you know an xbox with steam is not a PC but it is not a console either, it will be bad as a PC and maybe bad as a console. Will Microsoft give up charging to play online? PC nobody pays that, how to equate this?

The only way this model can work is for Microsoft to corrupt Playstation's leadership into giving up on the winning model of having dedicated hardware built in house.

I liked the xbox 360 but honestly the modern xbox isn't worth it, on the PC you can play Hellblade 2 at 60fps, no black bar, imho xbox is doomed I don't recommend it, even a future version with Steam.
You're not playing Hellblade 2 at Xbox Series X levels on a $500 pc, right? Can we agree on that? Now if you take that logic and apply it to next gen hardware, and throw in the fact that it can ALSO play PC games, well now...that's called a selling point.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They’re making another Xbox?
Larry David Reaction GIF

Not really

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
At that point though would folks pay $/€/£ 3K for that? I think there is a line where a high end non upgradable “Xbox” can sell, but not for higher end PC money.
Its where the more price friendly dockable comes into play

I still think they want to launch their big boy system in the same window as GTA 6 in hopes it helps move some for us hardcore gamers

Personally I wont be buying it since I have a nice gaming PC unless that very thing happens

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Its where the more price friendly dockable comes into play

I still think they want to launch their big boy system in the same window as GTA 6 in hopes it helps move some for us hardcore gamers

Personally I wont be buying it since I have a nice gaming PC unless that very thing happens
Isn’t it due out 2026?
Will be a year off (give or take) from GTAVI release if the case.

coffinbirth

At that point though would folks pay $/€/£ 3K for that? I think there is a line where a high end non upgradable “Xbox” can sell, but not for higher end PC money.
You're basically describing the difference in pricing between building your own rig or getting a prebuilt anyways...

Shit doesn't make sense to me as I build my own computers, but that premium markup is eye-watering, and they seem to do alright too.

Now, the question is would these be pre-configured SKU's mandated by Microsoft and produced by Microsoft, or OEM? If it's OEM, it seems like there would almost certainly be some proprietary module for sandboxing/security. Otherwise we're talking about Xbox going forward as some sort of front end for pc or something.

There are a few different ways this could all shake out.

main sku of the new generation xbox is the xbox handheld, it will be the first to test the model.
next gen Xbox will be made by third-party manufacturers all in the same family.
In some ways it will be a step back compared to the Xbox Series X because the hardware will be more powerful but the games will have to run on the Xbox Game Pass Machine, which means the software will be simpler

I believe

xbox series x = GameCube
Next Xbox = Wii

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You're basically describing the difference in pricing between building your own rig or getting a prebuilt anyways...

Shit doesn't make sense to me as I build my own computers, but that premium markup is eye-watering, and they seem to do alright too.

Now, the question is would these be pre-configured SKU's mandated by Microsoft and produced by Microsoft, or OEM? If it's OEM, it seems like there would almost certainly be some proprietary module for sandboxing/security. Otherwise we're talking about Xbox going forward as some sort of front end for pc or something.

The big "leak" everyone shares from Discord says it will be OEM which opens up a huge can of worms imo

I used to build my own PCs but recently I have been buying prebuilts as I am over building my own and yeah some of the premium markups are crazy which begs the question who builds these and how much markup will there be with certain builders?

So many potential pitfalls going OEM but current plan isnt working hardware sales wise

Last edited:
who builds these and how much markup will there be with certain builders?

So many potential pitfalls going OEM but current plan isnt working hardware sales wise
If Microsoft wants to be successful, all manufacturers will have to be included without limits on models per manufacturer
MS just wants to own the prebuilt market and call it ''xbox''

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Oh sure, but how big is the market for high end “Xbox” which isn’t covered by pre-builts? Why would someone pay high end money (talking over say $2K) for a non upgradable device?

And it’s not like a gaming laptop which is actually portable to an extent.

Either way it’s going to be an interesting move to watch by MS. Personally I don’t see it succeeding, but who knows.

coffinbirth

The big "leak" everyone shares from Discord says it will be OEM which opens up a huge can of worms imo

I used to build my own PCs but recently I have been buying prebuilts as I am over building my own and yeah some of the premium markups are crazy which begs the question who builds these and how much markup will there be with certain builders?

I'm of the mind that the options were being weighed for next gen, but they ran out of time and re-upped their deal with AMD. They publicly stated they were looking into either licensing or emulating AMD tech for "future compatibility" prior to this. Pair that with their obvious intent to get Windows games running on ARM, and it sure seems like they are trying to make the Xbox ecosystem as far-reaching as possible, and can introduce any of these options down the line if they did indeed decide to produce these themselves. Going OEM just seems like too crazy a move at the onset of this type of transition, but who knows!

Guess I should have worded it who would want to take on that endeavor of building these OEM machines that might have a hard time finding buyers
as I posted on the wall text- read it, it's interesting .

Microsoft basically needs to guarantee profits to those who build OEM machines, this means subsidizing or covering possible losses, we are talking about financial madness here or I'm sorry to say, it will fail like 3DO failed. (Obviously we are talking about rumors, everything can change).

coffinbirth

Oh sure, but how big is the market for high end “Xbox” which isn’t covered by pre-builts? Why would someone pay high end money (talking over say $2K) for a non upgradable device?

And it’s not like a gaming laptop which is actually portable to an extent.

Either way it’s going to be an interesting move to watch by MS. Personally I don’t see it succeeding, but who knows.
Again, the "high-end" device is not a road I see them really take unless OEM gets involved. I'm sure that wouldn't be a thing Microsoft would try to produce themselves.

The real selling point of this approach is simply in having a next gen console that can also play pc games. It's really just as simple as that.

StereoVsn

Again, the "high-end" device is not a road I see them really take unless OEM gets involved. I'm sure that wouldn't be a thing Microsoft would try to produce themselves.

The real selling point of this approach is simply in having a next gen console that can also play pc games. It's really just as simple as that.
Either way it’s going to be pretty interesting to see what happens.

Crayon

I wouldn't do a normal prebuild but I like the idea of a more console-like machine. One problem with that though, is that you get into an upgrade cycle on your pc. I don't spend that much on pc parts but I'm still in that cycle and my pc never feels old enough to replace wholesale.

Top Bottom