• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

No one is even talking traditional console for that money, but an Xbox PC Hybrid.

That's like saying $1000 PC what the hell is that.

Actually it could be a great middle ground if MS can leverage great value for money

At that price point I don't think it's a great anything. You're just asking people to spend massive amounts of money on some PC/hybrid. PC players wont want it and console players will think it's to much it's really that simple. Then you need the games to function more like PC games because they need the options to scale up and down. Otherwise now you have a console that is high spec but wont get any sort of real support because the overall audience will be small compared to PC, Nintendo, and PS. At least if they have that version of games they can utilizes all the graphical options. That then leads to other issues which is hackers online. In fact hacking the console might be a real issue for MS if they allow sideloading. You could start seeing hackers on Xbox across the board at that point if they are allowed to play with console players.

djjinx2

At that price point I don't think it's a great anything. You're just asking people to spend massive amounts of money on some PC/hybrid. PC players wont want it and console players will think it's to much it's really that simple. Then you need the games to function more like PC games because they need the options to scale up and down. Otherwise now you have a console that is high spec but wont get any sort of real support because the overall audience will be small compared to PC, Nintendo, and PS. At least if they have that version of games they can utilizes all the graphical options. That then leads to other issues which is hackers online. In fact hacking the console might be a real issue for MS if they allow sideloading. You could start seeing hackers on Xbox across the board at that point if they are allowed to play with console players.
1. Xbox is always cross play with PC so how are hackers more of an issue?

2. Consoles are just PC's these days, mostly off the shelf parts already. Games will scale easily, they do already, PS5, PS4, Series S, PC, Series X all different versions of the same games.

3. I'm a console player and would be very interested, many even on Gaf (Leans way more to Sony) have shown an interest too.

Look MS want to keep as many players as possible whilst attracting new ones all whilst going 3rd Party Pub. They want to get as much as possible from there own store all while getting 70% from others

Bringing out a PC Hybrid Xbox whilst opening up to other hardware makers an XboxOS, AND bringing a handheld to market would be the best thing MS could do.

It's actually way more an exciting thought than NextBox and/or PS6!

Last edited:
9af6Xa.mp4

1. Xbox is always cross play with PC so how are hackers more of an issue?

2. Consoles are just PC's these days, mostly off the shelf parts already. Games will scale easily, they do already, PS5, PS4, Series S, PC, Series X all different versions of the same games.

3. I'm a console player and would be very interested, many even on Gaf (Leans way more to Sony) have shown an interest too.

Look MS want to keep as many players as possible whilst attracting new ones all whilst going 3rd Party Pub. They want to get as much as possible from there own store all while getting 70% from others

Bringing out a PC Hybrid Xbox whilst opening up to other hardware makers an XboxOS, AND bringing a handheld to market would be the best thing MS could do.

It's actually way more an exciting thought than NextBox and/or PS6!
1. Overwatch 2 isn't in ranked mode. Rainbow Six Siege isn't either. Most games don't allow it in competitive modes because it's just not fair. Also more hackers because once you can sideload apps on a system this opens it up to hacking much much easier than normal console hacking.

2. Yet the Series X which is supposed to be more powerful than the PS5 doesn't always produce better quality even DF is dumbfounded by this issue. My guess is the same could end up happening with their $1000 system.

3. Sure if you come here I'm sure it will look like a lot of people are interested in this. Yet we know from Sony financials that a massive amount of people are still on their PS4. People just don't really care about power anymore. They care about the games they can play, it's always been about the games. The top played games are still on old gen and that's why so many don't care about moving on because they just want to play their games.

Yes I agree that's what MS wants to do. It's just insane to me how they've never figured out that just releasing quality games on a consistent basis will deliver them what they want. At this point though I don't even think it matters. They refuse to get rid of the 18 month devs contracts and both Halo and Forza used it as the main reason for having issues in development. I expect to see that trend continue.

Pop

If the rumors about the next Xbox running Steam (and other storefronts) is true - that is huge. And changes the entire console gaming space.
But the thing is - will the next Playstation also run Steam?

Is this where 'console' gaming is headed? Basically more like living room PCs.

Just things to think about.
That would be called a PC

Traditional Xbox consoles are done. I bet the next Xbox "console" will be 3rd party manufacture, be a hybrid handheld/dock PC. Will be decently powerful but won't be cheap. I'm guessing $700 minimum

djjinx2

1. Overwatch 2 isn't in ranked mode. Rainbow Six Siege isn't either. Most games don't allow it in competitive modes because it's just not fair. Also more hackers because once you can sideload apps on a system this opens it up to hacking much much easier than normal console hacking.

2. Yet the Series X which is supposed to be more powerful than the PS5 doesn't always produce better quality even DF is dumbfounded by this issue. My guess is the same could end up happening with their $1000 system.

3. Sure if you come here I'm sure it will look like a lot of people are interested in this. Yet we know from Sony financials that a massive amount of people are still on their PS4. People just don't really care about power anymore. They care about the games they can play, it's always been about the games. The top played games are still on old gen and that's why so many don't care about moving on because they just want to play their games.

Yes I agree that's what MS wants to do. It's just insane to me how they've never figured out that just releasing quality games on a consistent basis will deliver them what they want. At this point though I don't even think it matters. They refuse to get rid of the 18 month devs contracts and both Halo and Forza used it as the main reason for having issues in development. I expect to see that trend continue.
I agree at least on your last point, funny just as MS get the Devs and games they need, it's too late

Radical_3d

Honestly, I don't see a successful path for them as a typical console maker anymore
I do. But that’s the one thing that they haven’t done in 14 years: amazing games. Every year. Games. Games. Games. Games. One year after another of must have exclusives. And I’ll grant you the brand will recover. But that mf of Phil is like “oh no matter what we try we can’t beat Sony” while doing sh*t for more than a decade.

Last edited:

Sanepar

I do. But that’s the one thing that they haven’t done in 14 years: amazing games. Every year. Games. Games. Games. Games. One year after another of must have exclusives. And I’ll grant you the brand will recover. But that mf of Phil is like “oh no matter what we try we can’t beat Sony” while doing sh*t for more than a decade.
And on that games many great sp only games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I have a feeling the rumoured handheld will show up in 2026.

I'd be all over that if priced correctly. I have a lot of digital Xbox games and would love to play them on the go.

iHaunter

it would have to be 2 years as Rdna 6 wouldn’t be out in 1 year. 5 is supposed to be a huge increase opposed to 4.

I guess I just don’t agree with your logic.
That's what nVidia said about 4090. And what they'll say about the 5090. And I'm sure AMD will say about their cards. I'll believe it when I see it.

Rockman33

That's what nVidia said about 4090. And what they'll say about the 5090. And I'm sure AMD will say about their cards. I'll believe it when I see it.
4090 was a gigantic upgrade over the 3090. Rdna1 was a huge upgrade over their previous. And now amd is claiming 5 will be a huge upgrade over 4. And 4 hasn’t even come out…

I don’t think it’s a much don’t buy the PS5 Pro because this machine might be on the horizon but more like wanting people that has the itch to wanting something new and powerful to play even 3rd party games on
They did the same thing by officially announcing the Xbox One X before the PS4 Pro was even shown, I really don't think it matters much though. Multi console owners will likely buy both anyway if they can afford it, people who are in the PlayStation camp aren't going to buy an xbox just like the hardcore xbox crowd isn't going to flip to PlayStation, well unless they are some kind of clown influencer who thinks it'll get them views lol.

DKPOWPOW

Yeah, it's the only way. But like you said, it's been a long time since they focused on what mattered.

It's why I just don't see them making it as a console maker anymore. Their vision is elsewhere, they can't be this stupid. It feels like it's a purposeful fuckup.

Sometimes I wonder if they would have been allowed to purchase Activision if they were dominating Sony.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It was like Aug of last year I posted Xbox would not have an answer for the PS5 Pro and wanted to jump start next gen a good 2 years ahead of the PS6

I still stand by my post this is happening and I would not rule out late in 25

No way Bond would have said twice recently about their tech leap if it wasn’t coming for 4 or 5 more years, they are deep in this machine

Specs are out there and I bet close to PS5 Pro launch the specs “leak”

EVERYBODY and to all the new Gaffers of 2024. When HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 speaks like this YOU BETTER LISTEN! Bookmark this post and remember the bolded.

splattered

It was like Aug of last year I posted Xbox would not have an answer for the PS5 Pro and wanted to jump start next gen a good 2 years ahead of the PS6

I still stand by my post this is happening and I would not rule out late in 25

No way Bond would have said twice recently about their tech leap if it wasn’t coming for 4 or 5 more years, they are deep in this machine

Specs are out there and I bet close to PS5 Pro launch the specs “leak”

Specs are out there for the next Xbox? Do share? :p

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wouldn't go that far but appreciate it none the less :)

Your post history speaks for itself. Veterans on GAF know when you are speaking with good authority and when you are just guessing and making personal opinions. Info from MS is clearly leaking out about their next-gen thoughts. Now we just need to find those Xbox Next specs that you listed, since you've flown too close to the sun now.

leo-j

Makes sense, releasing a year earlier than PS like they did with the Xbox 360, with the latest COD as a showcase for cutting edge hardware. Would be a huge boost to the brand. Considering Sony said we reached the middle
Of the gen, dropping a console in 2-3 years does not seem that far fetched.

rm082e

I'll never understand it. I wish I could have been an executive at MS from the start of this gen until now just to know wth happened over there.

It seems like they just don't have anyone who's good at running the creative side. It's like they don't have creative leadership at the corporate level and are leaning entirely on the teams. Either they're coming to a studio with a bulleted list of things they expect in the next game that box them in so hard there's no chance for them to do something interesting (Halo, Gears, Forza), or they just throw money at studios and leave them alone hoping they'll put out great games (Arkane Austin, Tango, Double Fine).

I'd love to know if my impression is correct, and also what PlayStation might be doing differently? Or are they not and people just become super cynical when they know they're working for Microsoft?

djjinx2

Specs are out there for the next Xbox? Do share? :p
IMO giving too much power to the Pro as I have been on record of saying much closer to 15 teraflops

But yeah the goal was a 2x power Zen 5 machine

I would be pretty happy with the supposed stats that’s been kind of shared

Zen 5 CPU with an RDNA 4 GPU and a faster SSD with over 30 teraflops (some say 40)

I would buy that for GTA VI

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
oscars 2018 GIF by The Academy Awards

Have hinted at numbers here in the past
I'm not a specs person, but I'm starting to think now that basically Unreal 5 is just getting started. There isn't going to be an Unreal 6 for a long while. All they really need to do is hit the high end of being ready for Unreal 5 and they're probably ready for next gen a few years early. I don't really see it going much further than that anytime soon.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm not a specs person, but I'm starting to think now that basically Unreal 5 is just getting started. There isn't going to be an Unreal 6 for a long while. All they really need to do is hit the high end of being ready for Unreal 5 and they're probably ready for next gen a few years early. I don't really see it going much further than that anytime soon.
I agree as Unreal 5 takes some grunt to really make it shine and we need that power

Sadly I have been told to STFU about nextbox as far as any specs or possible timelines go, thats all coming in due time then hopefully people remember where the whole Xbox wants to jump start next gen early came from ;)

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I agree as Unreal 5 takes some grunt to really make it shine and we need that power

Sadly I have been told to STFU about nextbox as far as any specs or possible timelines go, thats all coming in due time then hopefully people remember where the whole Xbox wants to jump start next gen early came from ;)
No worries. I'm just rambling. I always appreciate the hints you throw out but I'm cool waiting. I don't know anything about PC specs anyway.

Alan Wake

Sony would have nothing to worry about with a $1000 Xbox. Seems the Xbox leadership can't help but shoot themselves in the foot. Launch early to avoid going head to head with Playstation, but charge $1000 for it? Dumb.
They've all but given up the console race by now. They gave it a final shot this gen but it didn't work. Hardware was fine but the games once again weren't there when it was needed and they failed to get people reinvested in the brand. The 360 days are long gone.

So. A really expensive Xbox for the 5 per cent die hards and then launch Xbox Game Studios games on PS5/6 and Switch 2 is probably the plan.

It seems like they just don't have anyone who's good at running the creative side. It's like they don't have creative leadership at the corporate level and are leaning entirely on the teams. Either they're coming to a studio with a bulleted list of things they expect in the next game that box them in so hard there's no chance for them to do something interesting (Halo, Gears, Forza), or they just throw money at studios and leave them alone hoping they'll put out great games (Arkane Austin, Tango, Double Fine).

I'd love to know if my impression is correct, and also what PlayStation might be doing differently? Or are they not and people just become super cynical when they know they're working for Microsoft?
We won't know for sure, But the most recent example is

The timestamp is where Sony doubled the Dev's budget after seeing the prototype. Helldivers 2 was suppose to take 3 years to make but it ended up taking 7, but Sony was patient.

Whoever was responsible was how Sony made the difference to Xbox. Someone saw the game has potential, and gave them the help they need to be AAA. Both monetary and time.

i am sure Xbox tried the same, the issue is that not all games are equal. And Sony just picked better winners. it's like trying to pick a winning horse in a race; there is always a chance of failure, but there is such a thing as a smart or a dumb choice.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We won't know for sure, But the most recent example is

The timestamp is where Sony doubled the Dev's budget after seeing the prototype. Helldivers 2 was suppose to take 3 years to make but it ended up taking 7, but Sony was patient.

Whoever was responsible was how Sony made the difference to Xbox. Someone saw the game has potential, and gave them the help they need to be AAA. Both monetary and time.

i am sure Xbox tried the same, the issue is that not all games are equal. And Sony just picked better winners. it's like trying to pick a winning horse in a race; there is always a chance of failure, but there is such a thing as a smart or a dumb choice.

Very root of Xbox problem is upper management looking at early versions of a game and saying yup that will be a hit.

Instead they look at the very first Halo Infinite trailer that gave us Craig and Phil says yeah that looks good

Radical_3d

They'll make money on games moving forward. That's what counts for them. Nadella couldn't care less about Xbox and all the fans who have bought their consoles at launch since 2001. We're pretty few in the grand scheme of things.
I don’t know if they are in time to correct course but if they start launching good exclusives people will come back as it happened in the 360 era. It’s the games what matter.

I don’t know if they are in time to correct course but if they start launching good exclusives people will come back as it happened in the 360 era. It’s the games what matter.
Time is the key here. With Helldivers 2 taking 7 years to launch, it is no longer possible to pivot suddenly and magically create AAA games out of thin air on short notice. If they START making good games this year, you would be lucky to have them ready for next gen.

Alan Wake

I would have agreed a few years ago but I honestly think that ship has sailed by now. People, even the most diehards of fans, have lost faith. They (we) are losing faith in the brand. This is not just about exclusive games anymore, it's a leadership crisis at Xbox. I don't think they can come back and compete with Sony again, and it seems they're not planning to either. Being this huge publisher will generate huge revenue for Microsoft, which is what matters. Xbox as a brand is not important for the company anymore, being big in gaming is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom