• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo DS: Still a Piece of Shit

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
JackFrost2012 said:
If you can't see the sarcasm and total baiting design of Drinky's original post, then all hope is lost.

GAF isn't a conversation, it's participatory drama and/or improv comedy. You can accept that, or you can rail against it, but you sure as hell can't change it.

REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ignatz Mouse said:
One of the other mods ought to do a controlled experiment, by creating the identical thread thead putting down the PSP. And then see who bites.

I don't think too many

First of all, this thread isn't really fuelled by Nintendo fans fighting against the notion that DS is "still a piece of shit". It's turned into more a debate over forum policy.

Second, if in ordinary circumstances such a thread was created for PSP, sure - it certainly would attract many seeking to defend it. However if it was created after a "sister" thread like this was, it wouldn't have as much impact.

duckroll

JasoNsider said:
Like this thread, I took that part as a joke. I really doubt that the entire administration has adopted the policy that "complaints will not be heard". If they have.....well, geez I don't know where to begin.

Well then that's where you went wrong from the start. While there are a ton of jokes all around GAF, that isn't on of them. Sorry to burst your bubble. Oh and before you "begin" to do whatever you don't know where to begin at, just don't. :D

FnordChan

criticize-drinky.jpg

FnordChan

Ok, I'll bite. Even if this is beside the point.

I got a DS and with Mario 64. After getting the stars, there was nothing left to play. I don't consider Wario Ware a game, much less an enjoyable one. Doing a bunch of little mini games for a few seconds hundreds of times is annoying. I don't have ADD and nor do I find it enjoyable to connect a Game Cube controller cord to the system. Then there's Yoshi. A fun game but its a very simple mini game. Nintendo has treated consumers like shit...again. Not surprising considering the savage beating they gave to initial GC owners but at least first GC owners had games like Smash Bros.

It would be tough to say both are equally good systems. Political correctness is stupid, especially in video games. The DS sucks. Bad. Maybe a year from now we can say its worth buying but right now, you have to be a hardcore Nintendo fan, rich, or stupid to buy one. I was a combination of the last two categories.

The touch screen is a worthless gimmick, like Nintendo. All Nintendo does is cast gloom and doom every time they talk about the gaming industry as a whole. They talk about the industry like its a dying beast when its actually growing in recent years. All this shows is that Nintendo is genuinely out of touch with consumers. I think Nintendo is bewildered that nobody wants their games. Mario is not a big name anymore. Its recognizable but not really big. Jak and Daxter are at the same sales level in America as Mario. Mario Kart was a huge franchise but now there's probably at least one or two dozen games that have outsold it. Metroid Prime was a good game but largely ignored.

So Nintendo's strategy is to talk shit about the industry. Nintendo reminds me of Master Shake: completely delusional, irrational, and not to be taken seriously. Its a sad day. Maybe there's hope for the Revolution but Nintendo talks about graphics like Hitler talked about the Jews. They fucking hate it. Even if it is a powerful machine, don't expect Nintendo to push the envelope on anything. Iwata could pull something out of his ass with Revolution but its unlikely, if they think that the DS would be a serious competitor.

The Experiment said:
Ok, I'll bite. Even if this is beside the point.

I got a DS and with Mario 64. After getting the stars, there was nothing left to play. I don't consider Wario Ware a game, much less an enjoyable one. Doing a bunch of little mini games for a few seconds hundreds of times is annoying. I don't have ADD and nor do I find it enjoyable to connect a Game Cube controller cord to the system. Then there's Yoshi. A fun game but its a very simple mini game. Nintendo has treated consumers like shit...again. Not surprising considering the savage beating they gave to initial GC owners but at least first GC owners had games like Smash Bros.

It would be tough to say both are equally good systems. Political correctness is stupid, especially in video games. The DS sucks. Bad. Maybe a year from now we can say its worth buying but right now, you have to be a hardcore Nintendo fan, rich, or stupid to buy one. I was a combination of the last two categories.

The touch screen is a worthless gimmick, like Nintendo. All Nintendo does is cast gloom and doom every time they talk about the gaming industry as a whole. They talk about the industry like its a dying beast when its actually growing in recent years. All this shows is that Nintendo is genuinely out of touch with consumers. I think Nintendo is bewildered that nobody wants their games. Mario is not a big name anymore. Its recognizable but not really big. Jak and Daxter are at the same sales level in America as Mario. Mario Kart was a huge franchise but now there's probably at least one or two dozen games that have outsold it. Metroid Prime was a good game but largely ignored.

So Nintendo's strategy is to talk shit about the industry. Nintendo reminds me of Master Shake: completely delusional, irrational, and not to be taken seriously. Its a sad day. Maybe there's hope for the Revolution but Nintendo talks about graphics like Hitler talked about the Jews. They fucking hate it. Even if it is a powerful machine, don't expect Nintendo to push the envelope on anything. Iwata could pull something out of his ass with Revolution but its unlikely, if they think that the DS would be a serious competitor.

This is really funny. People keep saying to us "you don't get it" when we actually do. Then people like you go and write an essay on why DS sucks like that's the real topic at hand.

This thread should really be locked to avoid any more confusion.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Experiment said:
Maybe there's hope for the Revolution but Nintendo talks about graphics like Hitler talked about the Jews. They fucking hate it. Even if it is a powerful machine, don't expect Nintendo to push the envelope on anything.

I'd disagree with the first half of your argument and agree with the second :)

JackFrost2012 said:
3:2 on JasoNsider, do I have any takers?

That is the crux of the problem. I don't remember the old forum being like this. There was much more self moderation by the community itself. Now it is fear for yur life, the mods are coming! At least that is what seems to be the trend of bans and some of the posts in this thread. Maybe I have a rose colored glasses view of the old forum.

I'm here mostly for news, Pana's posts, Speevy's wit, and Wario's deals.

edit: looked back and read through thread... Speevy got banned. That sucks.

Porridge

JasoNsider said:
This is really funny. People keep saying to us "you don't get it" when we actually do. Then people like you go and write an essay on why DS sucks like that's the real topic at hand.

This thread should really be locked to avoid any more confusion.

Started by any other member with a significantly smaller amount of posts, this thread would be locked. The whole DS vs PSP argument has sunk to embarrassing levels and GAF is now no different than any other fanboy message board.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Ignatz Mouse said:
Takers on Experiment being banned for completely missing the point?

I'd say 4:1 against. Just not enough momentum yet.

seriously. If there's one thing I've learned at GAF, it's to read the whole damn thread before posting. You can really make yourself look like a fool if you don't.

And why are people so up in arms over Drinky and MAF? They provide an excellent vessel to weed out the overly zealous people on the forum. Most everyone else knows that their purpose is something along those lines, and lives with it. I think it's a pretty funny but functional system.

Crankenstein said:

I miss Speevy. :( Yeah, he was a dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fan, but he always kept things in perspective. Hopefully he'll come back once this blows over.

duckroll

JackFrost2012 said:
I miss Speevy. :( Yeah, he was a dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fan, but he always kept things in perspective. Hopefully he'll come back once this blows over.

I agree. Speevy already apologized that he didn't realize shit was going down before he posted that stuff. Unban him and he'll glady sit aside until this blows over. Come on Drinky, there are more worthy posters for the banstick! :lol

Porridge

Because they are regulars with thousands of posts to their names, Drinky and MAF can get away with accepted trolling, or 'baiting' as some like to call it. Like it or not, it isn't fair to people who haven't been around as long. Not everyone has a 'sarcasm meter/detector' you know. You can choose to make the forum a cooler place than most to discuss gaming, or continue to make it a sad internet soap opera. It seems no pro-DS thread is without DS haters and the same goes for pro-PSP threads. Can't they coexist? I mean I ain't crying about it, just simply pointing things out

duckroll

Porridge said:
Because they are regulars with thousands of posts to their names, Drinky and MAF can get away with accepted trolling, or 'baiting' as some like to call it. Like it or not, it isn't fair to people who haven't been around as long. Not everyone has a 'sarcasm meter/detector' you know. You can choose to make the forum a cooler place than most to discuss gaming, or continue to make it a sad internet soap opera. It seems no pro-DS thread is without DS haters and the same goes for pro-PSP threads. Can't they coexist? I mean I ain't crying about it, just simply pointing things out

You're missing a big part of it. Drinky Crow is an administrator of the forum now, previously he was a moderator. Now MAF is a moderator too. They're not just "regular posters", they're the authority here. Like it or not, too bad. :lol

Porridge said:

I don't mind the trolling and baiting that much, some of Drinky's stuff is golden-not this thread though-it is the bans for those that reacted to the baiting that bugs me.

The best thing is: I just have to POST in this thread -- doesn't matter WHAT -- and I'll get another twelve pages out of it.

How is that NOT funny? SERIOUSLY. That's like the very Platonic IDEAL of funny!

Drinky Crow said:
The best thing is: I just have to POST in this thread -- doesn't matter WHAT -- and I'll get another twelve pages out of it.

How is that NOT funny? SERIOUSLY. That's like the very Platonic IDEAL of funny!

Face the facts. You are the GAF tidal wave. I think you are big asset to the fun in the forum when you post. Please go easier on the ban stick.

Actually, I've always been an admin.

Crank, I liked you better when you hated me. Oddly, I've only banned two people in this thread, for very short lengths of time. I don't tend to favor banning unless it's part of the joke.

Spencerr

Banned
Speaking of things that suck, my friend car pooled with me and I gave him my keys to get a book out of my car, and the idiot locked them in the car. Just now. Now I have to call a locksmith for $40 bucks.

Moral of the story, this thread doesn't suck more than everything.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Drinky Crow said:

Crank, I liked you better when you hated me. Oddly, I've only banned two people in this thread, for very short lengths of time. I don't tend to favor banning unless it's part of the joke.

it is true.... he doesn't like banning as much as I do...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This thread is slowing down.. Doug I see you're posting more but you need to be more inflammtory please? Thanks...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Gaijin To Ronin said:
For god´s shake, please read:

This is the point, is the best explanation of all this IMO. If you have to read something on this thread, read this.
for god's sake learn to recognise that i don't give a shit and i'm just being an ass for this thread... just because.
Crankenstein said:
what about pana's posts and speevy has/had wit?

Drinky Crow said:

I'll remember that. :) I never hated you, just got fed up with you! Like I said, some of your stuff is golden. I didn't know the details of the bans. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm slow on the uptake about the joke... It's Monday and DST has my mind in a fog.

Well, the joke is -ON- certain folks, and not specifically Nintendo fanboys.

And hey, this thread got rid of Folder, so it can't be ALL bad!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Jonnyram said:
Christ, 12 pages before we get to the punchline.
there was a punchline?

and there's nothing good about losing an insider at spong :(

where will we get our reliable, up to the minute, exclusive news?!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Drinky Crow said:

Folder's gone? Good times...

Drinky Crow said:

Which is crazy, because it was the first thing he has said in a long time that I actually agree with. Yeesh.

I think I missed the punchline completely. So this supposed "joke" was that you were always an admin? And people say PA isn't funny...

So, this thread in summary:

Drinky: "Hey, DS Sucks"
First victim: "I love these PSP fanboys"
Drinky: "Banned!"
Speevy: "You guys aren't funny"
Drinky: "Banned"
*lots of drivel and nonsense*
Drinky: "I've always been an admin"
*Everyone nervously chuckles at the punch line*

JasoNsider said:
Which is crazy, because it was the first thing he has said in a long time that I actually agree with. Yeesh.

I think I missed the punchline completely. So this supposed "joke" was that you were always an admin? And people say PA isn't funny...

So, this thread in summary:

Drinky: "Hey, DS Sucks"
First victim: "I love these PSP fanboys"
Drinky: "Banned!"
Speevy: "You guys aren't funny"
Drinky: "Banned"
*lots of drivel and nonsense*
Drinky: "I've always been an admin"
*Everyone nervously chuckles at the punch line*

I think you'll have to try harder to get banned, if that's what you're after.

Why again are you upset?

Top Bottom