• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There hasn't been a volleyball game with gameplay nearly as good as Beach Spikers since that game, has there? You'd think there'd have been something, but I sure can't think of any...

I can't think of another good volleyball game, period. So, no. But even outside of the lack of volleyball games, Beach Spikers is legit good.

So is there a preferred controller or adapter to use with the Game Boy Player now that that Hori controller is way overpriced?

I see an aftermarket Wii Classic Controller with a GameCube port, that COULD be awesome, but it could also just LOOK like one.

Or for three times the price, I could buy an adapter and just use a SNES controller.

televator

So is there a preferred controller or adapter to use with the Game Boy Player now that that Hori controller is way overpriced?

I see an aftermarket Wii Classic Controller with a GameCube port, that COULD be awesome, but it could also just LOOK like one.

Or for three times the price, I could buy an adapter and just use a SNES controller.

You can connect the original GBA with a link cable

I can't think of another good volleyball game, period. So, no. But even outside of the lack of volleyball games, Beach Spikers is legit good.

In addition to Beach Spikers I like both DOAX1 and 3 (The volleyball in 2 is no good) and Outlaw Volleyball. Interesting how many different ways there are to approach beach volleyball.

Danny Dudekisser

Man, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is fucking great. I think it's pretty clearly the best FE I've played, and it's really the game that I wanted Fates to be. None of the pandering anime waifu bullshit, and no needless systems. It is exactly the game that I wanted from the FE series.

Man, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is fucking great. I think it's pretty clearly the best FE I've played, and it's really the game that I wanted Fates to be. None of the pandering anime waifu bullshit, and no needless systems. It is exactly the game that I wanted from the FE series.

And it sold a combined 6 copies world wide. :c

It's crazy to think it has been ported to any other system. It's a legit GameCube third party exclusive that is awesome and has never been matched.

Danny Dudekisser

Out of curiosity, has the series been doing better or worse since it got into the waifu game with Awakening? I'm guessing better, but who knows?

Blues1990

I'm still looking for a Spice Nintendo GameCube, so when I go to the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo in May, I hope to find one in decent condition and in-box. When it comes to modding it so it can play NTSC games, what would be the best option?

Also, these are the Nintendo GameCube games that I currently own:

Skies of Arcadia Legends
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
Luigi's Mansion
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Tales of Symphonia
Soul Calibur II
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

I already have the Metroid Prime Trilogy & Mario Strikers Charged for the Wii & The Wind Waker for the Wii U, and I have little interest in owning Double Dash or Super Mario Sunshine, so what essential games should I get for the GCN?

Glowsquid

, so what essential games should I get for the GCN?

rogue leader and f-zero gx

(it's hardly "essential" but tube slider is a cool GC-exclusive racing game that doesn't get enough love. i wrote about it in this thread. i recommend it if you can find it for cheap)

TheMoon

Out of curiosity, has the series been doing better or worse since it got into the waifu game with Awakening? I'm guessing better, but who knows?

10l.jpg

None of the previous games even came close to this. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

Hmm...

So, I've gotten to the Phazon Mines part of Metroid Prime. I'd always felt like it was kind of the low point of the game... which isn't to say I thought it was bad, but it was less exciting than the rest of it. I'm kind of reevaluating that now. Maybe it's because this is the first playthrough where I've actually bothered reading the logs I've scanned, and those add a lot of context to the area. But I also, for the first time, really appreciate how the area gets more and more alien the deeper you descend into it. The sound design contributes a lot to that. It's extremely well-done.

What a fucking masterpiece.
Yes.

NR1

I have the opportunity to get a silver Japanese GCN with a GB Player (with disc) and 8 games (Pikmin 2, Veiwtiful Joe 2, Jungle Beat, Konga, Konga 2, Mario Tennis....), and 2 controllers for about $130. The Cube lacks a Digital Output.

Any real compelling reason to get and imported Cube from Japan?

Galdelico

Speaking of the Game Boy Player... Is it region-locked? I mean, should I get an European one, in order to attach it to my PAL console?

Danny Dudekisser

I want to know too.

It's shorthand for "this is a bad anime." Bad writing, a lot of awkward, out of place stuff (ie: face touching, Fates' version of the relationship system); and a general feeling that the game was produced for the sweatpants-wearing dregs of society.

See also: most of the stuff NIS has published, Conception II, most Vita RPGs.

Awakening tip-toed up to that line, but didn't cross it. Fates leaped so far over the line that I can barely even recognize it as FE anymore. As I said earlier, POR reminds me that this series really did used to be awesome.

I'm still looking for a Spice Nintendo GameCube, so when I go to the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo in May, I hope to find one in decent condition and in-box. When it comes to modding it so it can play NTSC games, what would be the best option?

Also, these are the Nintendo GameCube games that I currently own:

Skies of Arcadia Legends
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
Luigi's Mansion
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Tales of Symphonia
Soul Calibur II
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

I already have the Metroid Prime Trilogy & Mario Strikers Charged for the Wii & The Wind Waker for the Wii U, and I have little interest in owning Double Dash or Super Mario Sunshine, so what essential games should I get for the GCN?

Are you focusing on exclusives or no? Resident Evil 4, Kirby Air Ride, the Zelda's, Pikmin 1 & 2, Baten Kaitos, etc.

It's decent, but clearly not good enough since it had to be changed to get the audience the series has now sadly.

Yeah, it's too bad. I always felt Nintendo missed a real opportunity with Path of Radiance. With a marketing push, FF-style - just show clips from the cutscenes in commercials - I thought it could've been a big seller. It's so weird when companies make games and then just give up at the finish line.

Bundled with consoles, IIRC.

Never bothered with it, since I had the Wind Waker pre-order OoT disc already, had Zelda and Zelda 2 on the NES by that point, and heard Majora's Mask wasn't the best emulation - very crashy. I'm fairly content with that call.

Picked up this beauty. Amazing shape, and includes the manual.

What's the story behind this anyways? "NOT FOR RESALE". Tell me more ;)

In Australia at least, you had 2 ways to get it.
It was bundled with new consoles for a period of time, but for people who already had a GameCube you could buy 2 games from a specific range, cut out the barcodes from the games and mail them to Nintendo Australia to redeem a copy.
I always thought it ridiculous that they expected you to cut your game slip covers up ._.

Umibozu

Gc and wii fire emblems were low points for me coming off of the gba ones, but I will agree that with awakening the series became less discernable that it's fire emblem which is a detriment.

Danny Dudekisser

I might be mixing this up with the OOT/Master Quest disc, but I think you could also get the Collector's Edition by subscribing to Nintendo Power in the US.

I had it for a while, it was cool. Not sure if there's any reason to have the disc today, though. Is there anything on there that's worth having vs. the alternatives?

Galdelico

In NA, this CE was bundled as a promo disc with new consoles, but you could also get it by registering your GC (in case you already owned one) and a selected few games, or by renewing/buying a Nintendo Power subscription. For us Euro folks, though, this game was also available as a Club Nintendo reward. I remember that because it's been the one and only item I've ever got from there.

I think I ended up with two of those Zelda promotional discs since I wrote an e-mail or letter to Nintendo saying I had never received the one I originally sent off for.

They said, sorry we'll send another one, and then the first one appears.

So somewhere, I've got a sealed copy of it. Probably the one "rare" game I have.

I'm still pissed that I know I had a pair of component cables, but I'll be damned if I can find them.

shanafan

I might be mixing this up with the OOT/Master Quest disc, but I think you could also get the Collector's Edition by subscribing to Nintendo Power in the US.

I had it for a while, it was cool. Not sure if there's any reason to have the disc today, though. Is there anything on there that's worth having vs. the alternatives?

I mainly collect for the GameCube, so it's a perfect addition to my library.

And with my newly acquired component cables, I am excited to try it out because it has progressive mode ;)

NDPsycho

Well, at least you didn't give them away for free like an asshole, because 'hey, they're just AV cables!'
Yes, I still hate myself for that. :(

Hope you at least gave them to a friend? That's where mine came from. A good friend sold all his GC stuff, but asked me if I could use the cable. Gave me it for nothing. Granted that was 8 or so years ago, but still cool.

Galdelico

Hope you at least gave them to a friend? That's where mine came from. A good friend sold all his GC stuff, but asked me if I could use the cable. Gave me it for nothing. Granted that was 8 or so years ago, but still cool.

Eh, it was a friend of a friend. :D But it's ok, back then how could we know, really? Same with those Hori Super Famicom-like controllers... They go for like 3/4x the price of a GameCube itself, nowadays, which is bonkers.

CubeGAF, I think I still need you. I may have found a Game Boy Player - it's boxed, complete, in great conditions, and it's very reasonably priced - but I'm having quite a hard time to find a Datel SD Media Launcher, in order to use the Game Boy Interface homebrew software.
Assuming the vanilla GBP will be my way to go for a while (I really have no idea how to find one of those sets from Datel), does it make the whole purchase pointless? I mean, I read the add-on is pretty poor, the way it comes out of the box - with input lag, muted colors and horrible stuttering - so I should probably not bother, for now. What do you think? I'm quite conflicted tbh.

Danny Dudekisser

So, I've been buying a bunch of games for the Gamecube lately, and I'm basically just using the pic of the OP's shelf as my reference.

There is so much shit I need to get on this system. How did I not appreciate the GC properly back when it was alive?

Umibozu

Try bomberman jetters if you liked the 64 bomberman games.
The main stuff I have left to get for Gamecube is cubivore, gotcha force (again), the monkey balls, and Billy hatcher.

I own 110 GCN games (including Cubivore) at this point, but haven't touched the console in years. I'm thinking of selling them off and buying something cool with the money.

Top Bottom