• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

Jawmuncher

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/with_replies

Lindsay Ellis(Nostalgia chick) going off on Doug at the moment.

Summed up. She regrets ever being tied to NC and is tired of the apparent jabs at her and other feminists. Stuff such as "There's no reason to analyze the transfomers movies" (Guess she has analyzed them in the past?). Stuff where Doug said "Women only like Mad Max because of Tom Hardy", She was mad about this Wachowski should be played by a man joke I guess he had in one of his videos, REALLY dislikes anything he wrote for her in the pass (So probably any crossover they were in and apparently a rape joke in To Boldy Flee?).

That was what I got from the tweets. I haven't been following the TGWTG drama since the site lost a lot of the original talent. But all of it sound justified from her end, can't say I recall a lot of it though. Probably there though if I went back to look for it.

zeemumu

Summed up. She regrets ever being tied to NC and is tired of the apparent jabs at her and other feminists. Stuff such as "There's no reason to analyze the transfomers movies" (Guess she has analyzed them in the past?). Stuff where Doug said "Women only like Mad Max because of Tom Hardy", She was mad about this Wachowski should be played by a man joke I guess he had in one of his videos, REALLY dislikes anything he wrote for her in the pass (So probably any crossover they were in and apparently a rape joke in To Boldy Flee?).

That was what I got from the tweets. I haven't been following the TGWTG drama since the site lost a lot of the original talent. But all of it sound justified from her end, can't say I recall a lot of it though. Probably there though if I went back to look for it.

She did a 10 part analysis on the Transformer series (I think it's still ongoing but not sure), so jab or not it's fairly insulting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Summed up. She regrets ever being tied to NC and is tired of the apparent jabs at her and other feminists. Stuff such as "There's no reason to analyze the transfomers movies" (Guess she has analyzed them in the past?).

She has reviewed them in the past, and done looks at characters, both when she was reviewing as the Nostalgia Chick, and after she left.

She just started a multi-part analysis of Bayformers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRXI__Wixas

Exodust

Banned
It becomes clear every time that TGWTG was a collection of socially awkward nerds finding what they thought was a gold mine in nerd centric rant videos. Attempting to band them together and have your own continuity was probably a horrible idea.

At least we got some entertaining videos and people to follow out of it.

Jawmuncher

She did a 10 part analysis on the Transformer series (I think it's still ongoing but not sure), so jab or not it's fairly insulting.

She has reviewed them in the past, and done looks at characters, both when she was reviewing as the Nostalgia Chick, and after she left.

She just started a multi-part analysis of Bayformers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRXI__Wixas

Ahh ok Thanks for the clarification you two.

It becomes clear every time that TGWTG was a collection of socially awkward nerds finding what they thought was a goldmine in nerd centric rant videos. Attempting to band them together and have your own continuity was probably a horrible idea.

At least we got some entertaining videos and people to follow out of it.

That does seem to basically wrap it up. Talking about continuity is Linkara still trying to push a story angle for his comic reviews? I lost a lot of interest in his stuff when he started going heavy into having a spaceship and all that.

Exodust

Banned
I only really follow Snob and Lindsay Ellis now. Nothing against Doug, but i hate his new skit-centric videos with awful improv performers. Just can't get into it.

Also dude's theme song is utter trash.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So is the only time this thread is going to get major activity is when there's drama?

BatDan

She might be referring to the part where Mechakara forcefully robot-izes her and turns her into a parody of 7 of 9 from Voyager.
I guess if you purposely look for it, it looks like rape. I don't know I haven't seen To Boldly Flee in years, no point when the whole purpose was "Kill off the Nostalgia Critic" and that didn't even stick. ... Well that's one thing similar to comic books.

I know I'll get shit for this but I can't stand Lindsay or her Chez crew these days. Especially Kyle Kallgren. When you manage to piss off Brad Jones and Larry Bundy Jr, two of the nicest guys I know, then perhaps you're the problem Kyle, not them.

Exodust

Banned
I know I'll get shit for this but I can't stand Lindsay or her Chez crew these days. Especially Kyle Kallgren. When you manage to piss off Brad Jones and Larry Bundy Jr, two of the nicest guys I know, then perhaps you're the problem Kyle, not them.

What's the story here?

And yeah, my first real post here is about drama. But I saw it as it was happening and thought might as well link it here. And since we're on the topic might as well ask about what you're referring to.

BatDan

Kyle is one of those people on Twitter that blocks a lot.
With Brad, he blocked him, but then unblocked him to ask him to do the Tromeo & Juliet crossover, which they did. But then Kyle re-blocked shortly after it was released. In the comments for Brad's review of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, someone asked him to review Tromeo & Juliet since James Gunn directed both movies. Brad responded that he already did, but the video contains "a massive tool"

As for Larry, I think Kyle just blocked him and Larry couldn't understand why. I agree, Larry's one of the nicest guys I know.

Jawmuncher

Kyle is one of those people on Twitter that blocks a lot.
With Brad, he blocked him, but then unblocked him to ask him to do the Tromeo & Juliet crossover, which they did. But then Kyle re-blocked shortly after it was released. In the comments for Brad's review of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, someone asked him to review Tromeo & Juliet since James Gunn directed both movies. Brad responded that he already did, but the video contains "a massive tool"

As for Larry, I think Kyle just blocked him and Larry couldn't understand why. I agree, Larry's one of the nicest guys I know.

Shame to hear about that. I watched a good amount of Brows Held High for awhile and then stopped for whatever reason. Sounds like there's no reason to go back to his stuff.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah she has done that TF movie (the cartoon), and mostly takes jabs at Michael Bay.

I haven't watched the Mad Max though - did NC say that?

Garlador

Yeah she has done that TF movie (the cartoon), and mostly takes jabs at Michael Bay.

I haven't watched the Mad Max though - did NC say that?
Not really. He had Tom Hardy fan-girls in the video fawning over him. And, admittedly, it was pretty funny. But he never said that was the only reason women liked the film.

Most of the review was spent mocking toxic masculinity and men who actually complained that the film was too feminist.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/with_replies

Lindsay Ellis(Nostalgia chick) going off on Doug at the moment.

I find it so difficult to follow Lindsay Elli. And by follow I mean understand what she's talking about all the time! She tweets like there's no tomorrow and always seems to jump from topic to topic. I tried to dig where this particular Doug topic started on her TL but its just not worth the effort of digging that shit up from countless tweets!

Something similar happens to me with her videos. I'm either too dumb to follow her videos properly or she's too fucking smart or both because I find myself lost at least once per video. She obviously knows her film shit! So much so that me, a layman, can have a hard time understanding every point she's making.

I'd follow her on social media if she posted less, not more. But thats just me.

Cheerilee

I find it so difficult to follow Lindsay Elli. And by follow I mean understand what she's talking about all the time! She tweets like there's no tomorrow and always seems to jump from topic to topic. I tried to dig where this particular Doug topic started on her TL but its just not worth the effort of digging that shit up from countless tweets!

Near as I can tell...
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/875158981097832448

Someone tweeted to Lindsay (someone in the process of making a lengthy series analyzing Bayformers) suggesting that Doug just made a video mocking her efforts. She responds to that idea, even though she hasn't seen Doug's video (which I thought was essentially just him ragequitting on the franchise, and doesn't appear to have anything to do with her in-depth analysis).

Then...
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/875228189877952512

Someone asks her what's up between her and Doug, and she says that she thought they were cool, but that Doug started "subtweeting" her (referencing her without directly using her name) in his videos, with the Mad Max review in particular making her very upset.

People suggested that maybe she's reading too much into some things, but she claims to have exclusive information confirming to her that she's not reading too much into it, that Doug really is taking passive-aggressive shots at her.

Boss Doggie

I don't think Doug mentioned her at all in the TF video. Seems more like a fan trying to start a war?

Cheerilee

I don't think Doug mentioned her at all in the TF video. Seems more like a fan trying to start a war?

I think the fan was definitely trying to stir the pot, but they were mostly pointing out how one possible way of looking at Doug's non-review is that -a month and a half after Lindsay begins her epic in-depth review of the Bayformers franchise- Doug announces that he's finished with the Bayformers franchise because it's not worth reviewing.

Doug doesn't directly reference Lindsay, but it's possible that in concept the idea behind Doug's video was intended a passive-aggressive response to Lindsay's new video series.

And Lindsay seems to readily accept this cynical interpretation, because (based on prior personal communications between her and Doug) she's convinced that the character of Hyper Fangirl in Doug's Mad Max review (a feminist, as bad as MRAs, who pretends to like Fury Road because she wants Tom Hardy's dick) was a deliberately mocking caricature of Lindsay. Lindsay's apparently at some degree of open feud level now, because she's convinced that Doug's been waging a one-sided stealth-feud against her for some time.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just saw the video.
So how did it blow up? The Twitterlady didnt liked that Doug hated on the Tranformers movie and thats how it escelated to begin with? o_O

BatDan

I think people are reading too deep into things that aren't really there.
I doubt Doug was trying to start drama. He just made a video explaining that he doesn't want to cover the shitty Bay Transformers movies anymore, and as a joke predicted how the fifth one would go as he feels they all follow a by-the-numbers formula.
He's not the only critic to bring this up. RedLetterMedia made a video where they watched the first three movies and found they were all way too similar.

Also, Lindsay should look up "biting the hand that feeds". I doubt she would even have an audience if not for Channel Awesome.

Silexx

Just saw the video.
So how did it blow up? The Twitterlady didnt liked that Doug hated on the Tranformers movie and thats how it escelated to begin with? o_O

Cherilee explained it pretty well, but to put it another way: Lindsay hates on Bayformers as much as anyone, however she still sees value in doing deep-dive critical analysis on those movies and how they function as films. She has embarked on a multi-part series of videos doing just that on her Youtube channel.

Meanwhile, Doug releases a video of his own that states that Bay's Transformers aren't worth any analysis because they are so bad. Now it seems that video is only meant to be a statement of his own approach to the movies and is unrelated to Lindsay's videos, but she feels the timing of it and prior behaviour makes it too much of a coincidence.

Watched the Transformers 5 video. Decent enough, just really a typical criticism of the prior films, though it's always worth pointing out. Also watched the AVP review, mostly enjoyed it. Some really nice gags. As for the film itself, it's mostly not good, but I really like the climax for all the reasons the NC does.

And Lindsay seems to readily accept this cynical interpretation, because (based on prior personal communications between her and Doug) she's convinced that the character of Hyper Fangirl in Doug's Mad Max review (a feminist, as bad as MRAs, who pretends to like Fury Road because she wants Tom Hardy's dick) was a deliberately mocking caricature of Lindsay. Lindsay's apparently at some degree of open feud level now, because she's convinced that Doug's been waging a one-sided stealth-feud against her for some time.

As much as I appreciate her videos, Lindsay seems to be pushing for conflict that isn't there if you ask me.

I never watch the modern film reviews. Does he do them as the Nostalgia Critic character still?

Yes.

SOLDIER

Whatever happened to Jesu Otaku?

Before Mother's Basement she was one of the few anime commentators I could actually tolerate listening to.

SOLDIER

To this day I'm surprised NC (or anybody from his channel) never covered the animated G.I. Joe movie.

The more the years go by the more that movie holds a place in my memory as a super fucked up, bizarrely erotic piece of 80's animation to show a kid. Someone needs to really analyze it so I can rest knowing it's not just me.

The Transformers movie is remembered fondly for heavy metal music and shocking deaths of its major characters. G.I. Joe's movie is remembered for body horror and phallic-shaped monsters (and Big Lob).

Boss Doggie

GI Joe did really come off as something that came and go, though it did get a sequel strangely enough

reminds me of TMNT - got a sequel that bombed apparently

Uzumaki Goku

To this day I'm surprised NC (or anybody from his channel) never covered the animated G.I. Joe movie.

The more the years go by the more that movie holds a place in my memory as a super fucked up, bizarrely erotic piece of 80's animation to show a kid. Someone needs to really analyze it so I can rest knowing it's not just me.

The Transformers movie is remembered fondly for heavy metal music and shocking deaths of its major characters. G.I. Joe's movie is remembered for body horror and phallic-shaped monsters (and Big Lob).

Well, it was going to have a death, but the backlash to TF: The Movie caused them to change it to a "coma"... (even though he gets stabbed right in the heart so survival should've been impossible)

zeemumu

Well, it was going to have a death, but the backlash to TF: The Movie caused them to change it to a "coma"... (even though he gets stabbed right in the heart so survival should've been impossible)
I laugh so hard at that every time. "He's in a coma..." he coma'd in her arms

Kin5290

Of course he does. Why wouldn't he?
Because it's no longer 2008, and his Nostalgia Critic schtick wasn't any good even back then. Hell, the "critic with a gimmick" thing is super outdated by now.

The worst thing is that after the success of big productions like his Moulin Rouge episode, which managed to convince him that skits and big musical numbers were a thing that he should do more of. They are nearly all horrendous.

Said hand hasn't fed her in quite some time, now.
Said hand really didn't really feed her back then, either.

Top Bottom