• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The obscure SHMUP(shoot em up) thread

pramod

Banned
This thread probably won't get much replies but I thought I'd make it anyway. SHMUPS are some of my favorite games of all time and although it's now a dead genre, the 80's and 90's were filled with them and we all know the famous ones like Gradius, Aleste, Thunderforce, etc....I thought we can also take some time to appreciate some of the "lesser well known" gems of the genre.

I'll start by mentioning a couple.

Ghost Pilots (Neo Geo)
A pretty solid 1943-copycat on a console that was full of them. It's probably one of the more rare Neo Geo games (but thankfully there is also a Switch port)

Macross Scrambled Vakyrie (SNES)
Hardcore fans probably know this one well, but it's probably one of the best shmups of the 16bit era, maybe even in the top 5.

Macross Scrambled Vakyrie (SNES)
Hardcore fans probably know this one well, but it's probably one of the best shmups of the 16bit era, maybe even in the top 5.

Yeah I used to play the heck out of that game even though it wasn't that great. In some ways the precursor to the DYRL shmup on Saturn.

Perhaps more obscure were the Banpresto arcade Macross shmups. They even made one for the infamous Macross 2

Goddamn, I wish I could remember the name of it, but there was this AMAZING PC-98 shmup, where the screen bomb was just a ton of flaming skulls.

Fake edit: ok, I googled it. The game was called Flame Zapper Kotsujin and it is pretty good, gameplay and sprite artwise, considering i might be the only person i know of that has touched it.

CHECK IT.

Last edited:
Any shmup on Nichibutsu platform (like Terra Cresta or Seicross, below) would qualify.

X-Multiply and In the Hunt are two of my favs by IREM:

Phelios has a pretty unique theme and art style as far as shmups go:

X multiply makes me moist in the best ways. Fuckin cant believe how obscure it is considering rtypes lineage.

As far as forgotten lineages go, xexex is another crazy good but obscure arcade only shmup. Different weapons per region too, one having a weird ship subweapon I havent seen in other shmups.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
X multiply makes me moist in the best ways. Fuckin cant believe how obscure it is considering rtypes lineage.

As far as forgotten lineages go, sexes is another crazy good but obscure arcade only shmup.

Yeah it's a crying shame that more haven't tried it. I consider it to be the pinnacle of the R-Type "style". The tentacle force-pod is so cool and I love that it takes place inside a human body lol

Some other cool ones that came to mind...

Gun Nac (just look at those robo-rabbits!)

Rayxanbar 3 (if you haven't heard of the first two, they are skippable)

Dogyuun (one of the last Toaplan games)

Progear no Arashi (probably the least "obscure" one I've mentioned but definitely one of the most obscure CAPCOM / CAVE titles)

Boogie Wings (Great Ragtime Show; really cool vehicular combat)

Dragon Blaze (amazing graphics and highly polished gameplay; available on the Switch PSiKYO collections)

A-JAX (shmup + cool Afterburner-like sequences)

Yeah it's a crying shame that more haven't tried it. I consider it to be the pinnacle of the R-Type "style". The tentacle force-pod is so cool and I love that it takes place inside a human body lol

Some other cool ones that came to mind...

Gun Nac (just look at those robo-rabbits!)

Rayxanbar 3 (if you haven't heard of the first two, they are skippable)

Dogyuun (one of the last Toaplan games)

Progear no Arashi (probably the least "obscure" one I've mentioned but definitely one of the most obscure CAPCOM / CAVE titles)

Boogie Wings (Great Ragtime Show; really cool vehicular combat)

Dragon Blaze (amazing graphics and highly polished gameplay; available on the Switch PSiKYO collections)

A-JAX (shmup + cool Afterburner-like sequences)

Rayxnbar 3 and boogie wings are legit fucking awesome and everybody should play them.

See, this is why I scoff at people when they bag on emulation. These games...are NEVER being sold again, and that's without even getting into arcade games. And yet...they are fucking amazing games. There have to be options to preserve these games for future people to experience them also.

I WISH that I could buy them at a normal market price...goddamn, I'd be so poor.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Rayxnbar 3 and boogie wings are legit fucking awesome and everybody should play them.

See, this is why I scoff at people when they bag on emulation. These games...are NEVER being sold again, and that's without even getting into arcade games. And yet...they are fucking amazing games. There have to be options to preserve these games for future people to experience them also.

I WISH that I could buy them at a normal market price...goddamn, I'd be so poor.
I'm happy to buy 'em when they're available but yeah, shmups are essentially a dead genre nowadays so if people wanna play 'em they need to resort to emulation (to say nothing of the unfortunate fact that many of the console ports are not arcade perfect...)

Gyruss (Konami, 1988)

Crisis Force (Konami, 1991)

Zanac X Zanac's Zanac Neo (Compile, 2001)

Namco Classic Collection Volume 1's Xevious Arrangement (Namco, 1995)

Last edited:
As far as forgotten lineages go, xexex is another crazy good but obscure arcade only shmup. Different weapons per region too, one having a weird ship subweapon I havent seen in other shmups.

Xexex has crazy good 2d graphical effects for 1991. I'm surprised it's always been so far under the radar. I think later-day Gamefan was like the only US publication to ever acknowledge it, albeit years after the fact.

Also it did finally get a home release in the PSP Salamander collection. So not completely lost to arcades.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Formation Armed F

bHjX3QV.png

Area61

Kingdom Grandprix (1994) an arcade game from Raizing has pretty unique gameplay. It has a racing mechanics which changes the gameplay. It has multiple paths to choose each stage which enhances reply value. Surprisingly it's pretty easy too for an arcade game. Anyone can finish it within 1-2 credits just after few tries. 2nd stage has one of the best pumped up music in arcade games history (well atleast for me).

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I'm going to highlight a few shoot-em-up games that were created on the classic Atari systems. A few are indie games while most are vintage titles from way back when. All come highly recommended, so break out your Wico joysticks or PC gamepads and get cracking.

Juno First (Atari Age, 2600) is a spectacular translation of the 1983 Konami arcade game, and one of the best indie/homebrew titles on the Atari 2600. Blazingly fast, terrific visuals and even a catchy chiptune song. Really fantastic stuff.

Space Rocks (Atari Age, 2600) is the definitive version of Asteroids, featuring a host of options, including color or monochrome display, vector or solid graphics, 2P versus or co-op, support for Sega Genesis joypads and more. An indie/homebrew classic.

Desert Falcon (Atari, 7800) is an isometric shooter, similar to Zaxxon and Blue Max, where you fly a bird who shoots down enemies while collecting gems and rare items that grant you power-ups. There are nice little touches like the bird hopping on the ground or swimming on water, and the way he gets knocked dizzy when crashing into solid objects. It's classic Atari Corp. weirdness through and through.

Zeppelin (Synapse, 800) is an expansive shooter where you fly a zeppelin armed with guns and bombs. You must shoot enemies, bomb houses, locate keys to unlock gates, and ultimately find dynamite to destroy the enemy lair. The underground caverns are enormous and slightly surreal, with towns, buildings and trees located everywhere, as well as the occasional earthquake. It captured my imagination as a child as few things have.

Blue Max (Synapse, 800) is a stone cold classic of the home computer era. Think of it as a mashup of Zaxxon and River Raid. You fly a biplane, can shoot down enemy planes and bomb ground targets including bridges, cars and buildings. At the end of each stage you must land your vehicle without crashing (and without being bombed on the ground).

Blue Max 2001 (Snapse, 800) is the futuristic sci-fi sequel, with a mirrored viewpoint and a flying saucer. Your goal is to blow up everything that moves while dodging enemy fire. It was less popular than the original but a very good game, and also features one of the great chiptune songs of the 1980s.

Fort Apocalypse (Synapse 800) is a copter shooter that blends elements of Choplifter and Super Cobra with a host of new ideas. It's a very tough game and there's always numerous enemies and challenges as you seek to rescue hostages from underground caverns.

Tail of Beta Lyrae (Datamost, 800) was my favorite shoot-em-up for the Atari home computer, featuring that wonderful Gary Gilbertson chiptune score and brilliant stage design. Each level is randomly generated and highly challenging.

Dropzone (US Gold, 800) is the Archer MacLean classic that totally rips off Defender but does it right. But a very good one, very fast, very colorful, very tough. Explosions are very satisfying and enemies are just relentless.

Stealth (Broderbund, 800) is a 3D shooter where you must destroy a giant tower on an alien world, while dodging various enemies and flying over fuel pods to stay alive. Also known as Landscape (beta) which found its way onto everybody's floppy discs (ahem). The Atari 8-bit did an excellent job with 3D graphics.

fatty

Did i seriously get through this whole thread and not see anybody mention SNES - Axelay

9eec5a558639cf4cd2fe022462c142ac.jpg

AhQfz7P.gif

SNES--Axelay_Nov24%2018_44_51.png

I’m thinking just because most wouldn’t consider it obscure. Definitely a great game and one of my favorites right up there with Space Megaforce and Gradius V.

pramod

Banned
Loved Solar Striker, I was really surprised how playable that game was for being on such limited hardware.

And Gates of Zendocon is one shmup I never got to try. It was actually the one Lynx game I was really curious about when it was announced.
Gotta fire up the Lynx emulator now.

Last edited:
Goddamn, I wish I could remember the name of it, but there was this AMAZING PC-98 shmup, where the screen bomb was just a ton of flaming skulls.

Fake edit: ok, I googled it. The game was called Flame Zapper Kotsujin and it is pretty good, gameplay and sprite artwise, considering i might be the only person i know of that has touched it.

CHECK IT.

Fantastic game, I played it too!

I don't know if it's obscure, but I love Crimzon Clover. Imho, it's the best doujin shmup... Ever?

Fantastic game, I played it too!

I don't know if it's obscure, but I love Crimzon Clover. Imho, it's the best doujin shmup... Ever?
Crimson Clover is constantly installed on my steam box lol.

And kinda offtipuc, but if you've touched a PC-98, emulation or otherwise, check out briganty and rusty.

Briganty is like a singleplayer proto-guardian heroes (with NSFW boobies. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but it's the price you pay for playing PC-98 games imo) and Rusty is an unofficial castlevania knockoff. Both are legit af.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Pramod mentioned Gates of Zendocon for Atari Lynx, which inspired me to highlight a few shooters on the portable system:

Blue Lightning. I have four words for you: Canyon Run With Afterburners. That's all you need to know.

Gates of Zendocon. A bit repetitive but looks terrific and plays great. I always imagined what a Gradius would look like on Lynx.

Zarlor Mercenary. Epyx shooter highly inspired by the Xenon series, it's a great showoff for Lynx's sprite rendering powers. It's really meant for 4P multiplayer, but still fun playing solo.

Turbo Sub. Loose adaptation of an extremely obscure arcade game, this is pure shooting fun with terrific 3D scaling effects and blazing fast action.

Crimson Clover is constantly installed on my steam box lol.

And kinda offtipuc, but if you've touched a PC-98, emulation or otherwise, check out briganty and rusty.

Briganty is like a singleplayer proto-guardian heroes (with NSFW boobies. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but it's the price you pay for playing PC-98 games imo) and Rusty is an unofficial castlevania knockoff. Both are legit af.
Thank you, I'll try them! I still have the emulator working somewhere in my SSD lol

I have a really strong memory of playing an awesome isometric shooter on an arcade machine

I remember it having detailed sprites like metal slug level of detail. The firdt level was an outdoors one, over land with lots of trees and rivers and such, witha big boss at the end

Never managed to track down what game that was. It doesnt seem there were a lot of isometric shooters out there but still cant find it

Anyone got any ideas?? :(

stranno

Flying Tigers (Jay Kramer, 1994). Not a pretty or deep game but my favourite shmup as a child. Probably the easiest shmup i have ever played. It was based on the previous game by Jay Kramer: PowerShooter.

Flying Tigers.

oS3W7cP.jpg
TEBKVBJ.jpg
lKoOheM.jpg

PowerShooter.

Id03siS.jpg
9YJhdM5.jpg
egyqfv2.jpg

There was a Flying Tigers 2 made by HomeBrew Games the same year, 1994, but, as far as i know, it is pretty much the same. Like a "professional" version of Flying Tigers.

9LuseXV.png
vu3a4Hv.png
qQyZDBZ.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's so obscure around these parts, but I started playing summer carnival 92 at a party once, blown up all big on an hd screen, gluing a whole room full of drunk people eyes to the screen, one of em even screaming at me, "DUUDE, WHAT THE FUCK AM I WATCHING?!?!?" so I guess it's kind of obscure?

Recca is an amazing feat. I still dont know how they did this in 6502 assembly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom