• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Office' Is Reportedly Set to be Rebooted With Original Showrunner Attached

Draugoth

Gold Member
the-office-cast-1.png
  • The Office, known as one of the funniest sitcoms in recent history, is reportedly set to return to TV.
  • News of the reboot comes after the resolution of the writers strike, and original showrunner Greg Daniels is expected to revamp the series.
  • The cast members, including John Krasinski, and Mindy Kaling, have expressed interest in revisiting their roles in the potential reboot.

This major development for the show comes hot on the heels of the tentative agreement reached for the resolution of the five-month-long writers strike. The Office is centered on the employees of a fictional paper and stationery company in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and according to writers Matthew Belloni and Jonathan Handel its return is imminent. In an article for Puck News, the pair speculated that original showrunner Greg Daniels will return to revamp the series. They wrote, “Greg Daniels is set to do a reboot of The Office, for instance. Disney’s Dana Walden will finally be able to announce the return of her BFF Ryan Murphy from Netflix. A ton of high-profile movie scripts will come in. The industry will chug back to normal.”

The news of a reboot came as part of a broader conversation regarding what projects and deals will emerge once the strike officially ends. News of this reboot might not come as a surprise to some given that there had been rumors from both cast members and executives at the NBC alike. The perception around a reboot has ranged from the optimistic to the pessimistic depending on the individual. Daniels has been one of the optimists. Speaking to Collider in 2022, the showrunner said, “I can’t tell whether fans would want more of it, and when I say more of it, I don’t think it would be the same characters.” He adds, “I think it would just be sort of like an extension of the universe, you know what I mean, like the way [The] Mandalorian is like an extension of Star Wars. But I don’t know if that would be something people would want or not, it’s hard to tell.”

Source

DeaDPo0L84

No, please dear God no. It has ZERO chance of being what it was before due to the current climate. It was hilarious cause it didn't care and was almost South Park in that way in how it poked at everything. They wouldn't make it 3 episodes in if they tried to retain that humor cause the gender purple haired cult would be threatening the writers lives for committing genocide.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hopefully offices have changed since the 2010s because they walked away and technology is absolutely better today.

Lunarorbit

The show would be completely different if they made it now. Less Mindy Kaling too. I watched most of the Mindy project and her and her love interest are the worst characters on the show.

Rockondevil

Absolutely not.
Though I can bet it’d still be better than whatever this trash Australian version coming soon is going to be.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
What a horrible, horrible idea, especially when it's not like you're going to be introducing this to a new audience - zoomers watch the old show on streaming. A lot of people don't even work in offices anymore.

it'll last one season, tops.

Last edited:
I’m in if any of the original cast returns and good original creator is on it too. The original will always stand on its own and I still enjoyed it even after Steve Carrell left. I’m down for more

I didn't think The Office could be rebooted as a US show and do well. The U.S. version really came into it's own by the second season and it's easily one of the most rewatchable shows I've ever watched. So what the hell do I know? It could work. It's cast though...I dunno, I feel like it has to have a great cast and most of them should be unknowns or small-time actors kinda like how they did it last time.

I hope it's great. I doubt it will be.

Jsisto

It should just be one episode. Everyone is up to their usual antics. They put Dwight’s stapler in Jello again! Lol! Oh Jim! Then Dwight finally snaps, goes out and gets an ak47 from his trunk and shoots the place up. The end! So topical and relevant! Everyone is dead! Just like comedy!

Last edited:

Gp1

One of the most rewatchable show ever.

Just don't...

Hmm, I bet it will be in a WeWork type "multi-use" office.

Allow for more guest star cameos to drive interest.

Or maybe it will be called

"Home Office" and the entire show will be inside MS teams.

You heard it here first

Last edited:

Unknown?

No, please dear God no. It has ZERO chance of being what it was before due to the current climate. It was hilarious cause it didn't care and was almost South Park in that way in how it poked at everything. They wouldn't make it 3 episodes in if they tried to retain that humor cause the gender purple haired cult would be threatening the writers lives for committing genocide.
Yeah Diversity Day was friggen hilarious but would never work today.

Let tham have at it! They will either, by some great miracle, produce a great show that honours the original or, much more likely, produce a turd so heinously bad, those who would watch and detest it, would inquire into, and possibly enjoy Carell's version.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the general manager role to the gender purple haired person and made fun of dumb white people all day long.

Top Bottom