• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apple WWDC 2007 Thread

Juice

johnsenclan said:
Any chance we'll see updates to iLife? I have a list of stuff I'd like to see added to iPhoto.

Since iWork orders are being delayed to 6/12, it sounds very likely that iLife and iWork will have their leopard-exclusive features revealed at WWDC, but since they'll have a Tiger compatibility mode, will be actually released on the day of the WWDC keynote.

Juice

Oh, and let's keep the ZFS hype alive. ZFS is bar none the coolest filesystem that's ever been created, IMHO.

I was worried they'd only licensed it for use in Time Machine partitions (will time machine always want its own partition if it's on a ZFS disk?), but hearing from Sun's chief that it's actually HFS+'s successor... boy howdy! I'm pumped. Battery life +20% is a good point to add, as well (though no more fragmentation, file recovery, ingenius indexing, etc. are enough for me).

yayaba

Juice said:
Oh, and let's keep the ZFS hype alive. ZFS is bar none the coolest filesystem that's ever been created, IMHO.

I was worried they'd only licensed it for use in Time Machine partitions (will time machine always want its own partition if it's on a ZFS disk?), but hearing from Sun's chief that it's actually HFS+'s successor... boy howdy! I'm pumped. Battery life +20% is a good point to add, as well (though no more fragmentation, file recovery, ingenius indexing, etc. are enough for me).

It can increase battery life by up to 20%? How is that possible?

djkimothy

yayaba said:
It can increase battery life by up to 20%? How is that possible?

If it uses the VM smartly, the hard drive won't be as active and should cut down on power use. That's what I deduced from the previous post.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
djkimothy said:
Do you think we'd need to reformat to take advantage of ZFS?

Probably. I need to reformat anyway. Keep everything nice and neat. :D

I will just back stuff up to an external drive and reformat. I want ZFS, and I can't wait for the sequel, X-Treme FS

djkimothy

Y2Kev said:
Probably. I need to reformat anyway. Keep everything nice and neat. :D

I will just back stuff up to an external drive and reformat. I want ZFS, and I can't wait for the sequel, X-Treme FS

I haven't reformatted my drive for a different filesystem since HFS+. So it's been a while. :(

Would bacing up the Home and Applications directory be sufficient to keep user options in tact? I dread the day I have to re-implement all my passwords and settings again. I'm quite cozy how I am.

yayaba

djkimothy said:
Do you think we'd need to reformat to take advantage of ZFS?

Reformatting seems to go against the Apple method of making things as easy as possible for the user. I'd hope I didn't have to...

djkimothy

yayaba said:
Reformatting seems to go against the Apple method of making things as easy as possible for the user. I'd hope I didn't have to...

Yah, but remembering the transition to HFS+, I had to back up all my data and reformat the drive. PITA. :( It's not the files that I'm worried about since they're organized neatly, it's the user settings.

I hope Apple makes it painless. I have 2 HDD anyways to backup to. :)

yayaba

djkimothy said:
Yah, but remembering the transition to HFS+, I had to back up all my data and reformat the drive. PITA. :( It's not the files that I'm worried about since they're organized neatly, it's the user settings.

I hope Apple makes it painless. I have 2 HDD anyways to backup to. :)

Well, worse case you know they'll have some kind of wizard that will migrate everything for you. Unless you have an obscure app that they can't read the settings from.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
djkimothy said:
Back up your Library folder. Done.

Juice

~Below I've just written up some instructions for you faint of heart about the Leopard upgrade. Bookmark this post if you need them.~

To the people worried about reformatting (and in simple terms, yes you will need to if you want ZFS), here's what you'll want to do:

0. Delete all the particularly "hacky" apps you use. Remove APE, Little Snitch, or just about any program that launches a daemon (GimmeSomeTunes, Quicken, etc.). The reason for this is that since you're doing an Archive & Install of Leopard, and since these apps will auto-launch at boot or login, if they're incompatible with Leopard they might bork your startup sequence and make Leopard unbootable without troubleshooting.

1. Buy Leopard

2. Run the Disk Utility on the Leopard DVD and create "New Image" from your current system disk to back it up to an external drive; generally just pick compressed and be on your way (Mac lingo for this is to 'create a sparse disk image').

3. After you've made the image, opened it and let it verify to make sure it was taken properly and isn't corrupt, THEN you'll use Disk Utility to "Erase" the main system drive with the partition options... dialog set to "GUID partition map" and the file format to ZFS. Erasure will probably only take a minute or two.

4. Still selecting the system disk, you'll click the Restore tab and drag the backup image you just made onto the image field. Click restore to restore that image onto the system disk (now with fancy ZFS!). The irony at this point is that since Tiger doesn't (and probably won't) support ZFS, the disk probably isn't even bootable! However, the Leopard installer probably won't know or care and will recognize it as a valid upgradeable install.

5. Now you'll quit Disk Utility and go through the OS X installer, selecting "Archive & Install" as opposed to "Erase and Install" or whatever they'll be calling it. (Be sure to go into options and flag as much as possible to be preserved, this will leave your system almost entirely as you found it before upgrading.)

6. After Archive & Install is complete, your user directory and apps (etc) should be in their proper places, with your old remaining/system files in '/Previous Systems/Previous System 1'. Enjoy Leopard & ZFS without having to dump any of your data/apps![/code]

Juice

yayaba said:
^ Insider information or you're just guessing how it will be done?

I've just done a LOT of OS X disk image management. The instructions above assume that the image creation and restoration bugs in the Intel OS X Tiger DVD are FIXED in the Leopard one.

Phoenix

johnsenclan said:
Any chance we'll see updates to iLife? I have a list of stuff I'd like to see added to iPhoto.

I would be surprised if we don't see anything related to iLife as this years revision is noticeably late.

Phoenix

yayaba said:

Well somehow the data has to get off one HFS+ partition onto a ZFS partition. SO unless you're moving all of your data off, it seems highly unlikely that they will be able to make it so that you can simply upgrade from one file system to another.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Keynote bingo is back!

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2007/06/08/wwdc-2007-keynote-bingo

6fzbpzt.png

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Juice said:
I've just done a LOT of OS X disk image management. The instructions above assume that the image creation and restoration bugs in the Intel OS X Tiger DVD are FIXED in the Leopard one.

You're also assuming the disk image utility is exactly the same as it was in Tiger, which is quite the assumption.

Juice

Slurpy said:
You're also assuming the disk image utility is exactly the same as it was in Tiger, which is quite the assumption.

Hardly. It hasn't changed substantially in 5 years.

SuperPac

Can't wait. Doesn't seem like I'll get a lot of work done Monday. I'll have my Apple credit card at the ready...

yayaba

Man, reading the bingo card has me pumped.

"Boom" - Steve Jobs says the word "boom" while demonstrating something. :lol

Does he say that a lot? I never really notice.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Revolutionary GUI, eh? I'd be happy with a consistent look to the interface at this point. :lol

Leopard hasn't knocked me out thus far, so I hope the secrets are worthwhile.

Burger

DjangoReinhardt said:
Revolutionary GUI, eh? I'd be happy with a consistent look to the interface at this point. :lol

Be glad you don't use Vista then :lol

The import font window hasn't changed at all since Windows 3.1

In fact the way Windows manages fonts hasn't changed since 3.1, it's really quite bizzare. The whole thing is extremely stone age and has almost no features. It's even harder for the average user to import a font into Vista, the File menu being actively hidden from view by default.

As opposed to OS X which is light years ahead in all aspects of type display and management.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
I wish the Macbook pro's came with the 13" screen and in a black shell like their sibling, the Macbooks. I love my 12" G4 PB book and i'm looking to upgrade when leopard comes out but I've had a 15" PB before and its way too big for me to carry around. Anyone know when the usual Macbook updates are?

yayaba

Poody said:
I wish the Macbook pro's came with the 13" screen and in a black shell like their sibling, the Macbooks. I love my 12" G4 PB book and i'm looking to upgrade when leopard comes out but I've had a 15" PB before and its way too big for me to carry around. Anyone know when the usual Macbook updates are?

Macbooks were already updated. It was a small update though, just bumps in HD space, RAM, CPU speed.

T-minus 1 day.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
guise said:
Please give us a new Finder.

New Finder and a new GUI have to be part of the secret features, if not I'll be very disappointed.

Finder has never been OSX's strong point, with quite a few 'quirks'. And despite Aqua still looking quite fresh for something that is now essentially 7 years old, it's time for a change.

I'd expect Apple to want to put some distance between them and Vista again, now that Vista has aped a lot of Aqua's style.

guise

After i made the jump from windows to mac the only thing i dont like about OS X is finder. Its just too simple for its own good.

I'm not too fussed about a new interface, although 'uno' consistency over all apps would be nice. Good to hear the brushed metal is gone.

It will be interesting to see if the mac mini lives on or is replaced with a new line. I really need to upgrade mine but i dont have much space, and im not too keen on dropping 2 grand on a macbook pro no matter how good it is.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah it will be shame if they kill off the Mini, as it fulfils a nice role even if it might not be a huge market.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Must be a new hardware announcement or 2 coming, several covered banners at the conference centre:

covered_300.jpg

538211842_8e93d124ac.jpg

New iMacs seem a certainty, but maybe more than that? A new GUI could warrant a banner as well.

I doubt we're going to see some noticeable GUI change. The entire GUI will now be vector+bitmap, but no end user is really going to care about that.

Timbuktu

Nash said:
Must be a new hardware announcement or 2 coming, several covered banners at the conference centre:

New iMacs seem a certainty, but maybe more than that? A new GUI could warrant a banner as well.

Don't hype it up too much, it is WWDC after all and I'd think a new iMac could have warrant an event on its own, let alone with Leopard.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Boards of Canada said:
I doubt we're going to see some noticeable GUI change. The entire GUI will now be vector+bitmap, but no end user is really going to care about that.

Well there's the long-standing rumour of Illuminous replacing Aqua. The OS has been going more black/white, light/shade based.

And the demos of Core Animation, the drive for a completely resolution independent GUI, and the iPhone's UI suggest that a more dynamic GUI with more visual feedback to the user's actions may be coming.

Especially if multi-touch is going to be something Apple extend beyond the iPhone.

Terrell

SanjuroTsubaki said:
.Mac needs to die. When I made the switch and I was checking out all the new apps and layout I went to go set up my .Mac account. Once I relized it was a trial and that they wanted me to spend $ for that......was the first and only shitty thing I can say about my Mac experience however its one that doesn't affect me its just the principal of it.

Apple needs to start making full partnerships. While Gmail fully replacing .Mac is a long shot, the time is now to start making alliances with mediums that people are using everyday. The time is now.
Well, the integration of Google tech in iPhone is likely just the beginning of this. And I agree, I would like Gmail to replace .Mac email and would like iChat to drop AIM servers in favor of Google Talk as the main integrated tech. Maybe iChat wouldn't suck so much, then.

And as for dropping Mac mini, I would think that Apple would keep that computer line to appease IT departments. I mean, most workplaces already have a bunch of monitors and stuff, so a Mac mini office environment would make a lot of sense, in terms of cost savings, depending on the needs of the office.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Timbuktu said:
Don't hype it up too much, it is WWDC after all and I'd think a new iMac could have warrant an event on its own, let alone with Leopard.

Well WWDC usually sees new hardware or big news of some description.

2004 was the new displays, 2005 the move to Intel, 2006 the Mac Pro.

Also if the rumour of the iMac going brushed aluminium and being repositioned as a slightly more high-end machine is true, then that would fit nicely with WWDC. Especially if it's accompanied by an iPhone SDK announcement, and multi-touch turns out to be an integral feature of Leopard for things like the new iMac and maybe new displays as well.

Sanjuro

Terrell said:
Well, the integration of Google tech in iPhone is likely just the beginning of this. And I agree, I would like Gmail to replace .Mac email and would like iChat to drop AIM servers in favor of Google Talk as the main integrated tech. Maybe iChat wouldn't suck so much, then.

And as for dropping Mac mini, I would think that Apple would keep that computer line to appease IT departments. I mean, most workplaces already have a bunch of monitors and stuff, so a Mac mini office environment would make a lot of sense, in terms of cost savings, depending on the needs of the office.
I love my Mini. I still don't like the idea of having my screen built into my computer so MacBook and iMacs are out for me. But they might unveil somthing that blows my mind. However I'm not the richest person and $1000+ is pretty steep. Even my Mini cost that at time of purchase.

mollipen

Terrell said:
And I agree, I would like Gmail to replace .Mac email and would like iChat to drop AIM servers in favor of Google Talk as the main integrated tech. Maybe iChat wouldn't suck so much, then.

Uhh... wait. AIM is like the most used IM software in the States. Google Talk is the most used IM software... uhh, where? From what I understand, Google Talk is Google + Jabber. iChat is AIM + Jabber. What sense would it make for Apple to drop AIM in favor of Google Talk support? If they want to add it in addition to AIM, great, but dropping AIM for Google seems utterly stupid.

yayaba

If they would only just update the Mini more often it would be perfect. They probably don't want to cut too much into their iMac sales though.

Apple just strikes me as a company more interested in integrating everything i.e. iMac than keeping it seperate i.e. Mac Mini.

mollipen

Nash said:
New Finder and a new GUI have to be part of the secret features, if not I'll be very disappointed.

Finder has never been OSX's strong point, with quite a few 'quirks'. And despite Aqua still looking quite fresh for something that is now essentially 7 years old, it's time for a change.

The problem is, I've heard the rumor a few times that Jobs and Co. aren't terribly fond of the Finder, and that's part of the reason there hasn't been a lot of serious work put into it. Something needs to be done, though: either Apple needs to get off their ass and make the Finder worth a damn, or give us their "next great thing" replacement already.

Terrell

shidoshi said:
Uhh... wait. AIM is like the most used IM software in the States. Google Talk is the most used IM software... uhh, where? From what I understand, Google Talk is Google + Jabber. iChat is AIM + Jabber. What sense would it make for Apple to drop AIM in favor of Google Talk support? If they want to add it in addition to AIM, great, but dropping AIM for Google seems utterly stupid.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the fact that AIM and MSN are the most-used IM clients on the internet just goes to prove that people love bloatware and/or have little to no taste in quality. And yeah, more than half of the problems with iChat occur because the service operates on AIM servers, so you can't blame someone for wanting Apple to trade up. But I would be willing to settle for better integration of Google Talk's features in iChat.

EDIT: It also occurs to me that Google Talk servers can interface with users of AIM... so yeah, replace AIM servers with Google Talk once video conferencing is in place, and you still get communication with "the most-used IM client in North America" and better back-end tech powering the whole thing.

Phoenix

Terrell said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the fact that AIM and MSN are the most-used IM clients on the internet just goes to prove that people love bloatware and/or have little to no taste in quality. And yeah, more than half of the problems with iChat occur because the service operates on AIM servers, so you can't blame someone for wanting Apple to trade up. But I would be willing to settle for better integration of Google Talk's features in iChat.

EDIT: It also occurs to me that Google Talk servers can interface with users of AIM... so yeah, replace AIM servers with Google Talk once video conferencing is in place, and you still get communication with "the most-used IM client in North America" and better back-end tech powering the whole thing.

AIM and MSN protocols are the most used because they were the first available and they didn't suck. Google leverages the Jabber protocol and the Jabber protocol XMPP while cool is limited in a number of areas - especially as it relates to guaranteed functionality on the servers. While there are XMPP bridges to MSN, AIM, YIM, etc. by and large they suck and miss critical functionality outside of being able to just send text chats. If Google really wants to innovate in this area, they need to push that server product into the Google Summer of Code and stop bullshitting around. Until then, AIM and MSN will be superior clients because they are sitting atop superior protocol implementations.

Phoenix

shidoshi said:
The problem is, I've heard the rumor a few times that Jobs and Co. aren't terribly fond of the Finder, and that's part of the reason there hasn't been a lot of serious work put into it. Something needs to be done, though: either Apple needs to get off their ass and make the Finder worth a damn, or give us their "next great thing" replacement already.

The Finder is being replaced - mark those words. The current Finder is atrocious, but a marked step up from where it was when OSX first started. On 10.4 I would sooner stab out my own eyes than try to manage network shares via the finder. Heaven forbid they aren't Samba based...

Top Bottom