• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Clive Barker's Jericho: Here is a List of Fearful Things

Unison

Victrix said:
A second for Undying. I actually played it again fairly recently, and it holds up reasonably well. Still surprisingly scary in many places as well, and with some really cool and funky weaponry and nifty abilities.

Yeah, The Undying is a classic. I replayed it about a year ago, and it's still brilliant and it looks great.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't think I'll be picking this up (looks great, but it just isn't my thing), but I wanted to post in this topic anyway to give props to the epic OP.

SolidSnakex said:
That's pretty much how I felt. It's kind of like with Killzone, I stuck with Templar through the entire game as he just felt like the character that had the most balance. The other could do some cool things but none of them seemed as well rounded as he did.

Well they tend to break up the team often enough that you aren't overwhelmed all the time. Lets look at the three characters in the Demo and list their strengths and weaknesses. Something that many people seemed to ignore in the demo is the effectiveness of melee attacks. Melee attacls are "Block Breakers" and are extremely useful

Delgado

Strengths: Heat Seeking (HA) fire, most powerful primary weapon, extremely resilient, knockback melee attacks.
Weaknesses: Slow, primary weapon takes time to start, weak secondary weapon.

Black

Strengths: Telekinesis push (this isn't used in the demo, but you can actually push back some enemies who are charging to attack you.) speed, under barrel grenade launcher is great for crowd control, her mediated shot has the ability to essentially insta-kill weaker foes.
Weaknesses: Cannot take much damage before freaking out, close up combat is nearly impossible, melee attacks not powerful.

Church
Strengths: katana performs stealth kills, extremely fast, automatic pistol is useful in a emergency, Blood Scribe abilities are invaluable
weaknesses Weakest member of the team, Blood Scribe drains her life, is doomed if surrounded.

Again thanks for the compliments, but they aren't needed lol I love games and there are certain (teh horror and the bizzare) ones I just want to inform people about....The OP's still need alot of work though >.<

Dyno

The framerate issue on the demo was my only concern, but it's a big one, big enough for my casual gameplaying friends to comment on when we were flicking through a bunch of new games to give them a taste. They didn't even do that with Heavenly Sword.

There is lots of little pieces to like however. The sheer brutality for one, death scenes run high on the gross side. Monsters and environment are great. I like in the QTE that the character's view gives hints as to what button to press. A look left means square is coming up, a look right means circle, etc. I like the controller lay-out, it's a lot to absorb in a demo but it's logical and from one character to the next there is a lot to do.

Definately on my radar. Will wait for ratings and impressions. A lot can go wrong in an ambitious project like this but it might wind up being a great, gruesome ride.

XHitoshuraX said:
Well they tend to break up the team often enough that you aren't overwhelmed all the time. Lets look at the three characters in the Demo and list their strengths and weaknesses. Something that many people seemed to ignore in the demo is the effectiveness of melee attacks. Melee attacls are "Block Breakers" and are extremely useful

Whenever you have to go alone with Church I used her melee attack mostly in the cave like section of the game. It worked really well and seemed to kill enemies with 1 slice.

Kolgar

THANK YOU for making this thread.

I played the 360 demo and I loved it, despite the laughable backstory and characters.

LOVED IT.

Will buy.

Barakov

As usual Hitoshura goes out of his way to make an awesome thread. This and Castlevania in the same week. How great. This fall is so awesome and so painful at the same time.

Barakov said:
As usual Hitoshura goes out of his way to make an awesome thread. This and Castlevania in the same week. How great. This fall is so awesome and so painful at the same time.

Oh thats right...Castlevania....hmmm, someone do put one up or I'll be forced to make the OF >.<

I played the demo and laughed at the outfits the women wear.

Other than that I don't remember anything of note about it.

Nice thread at least.

dionysus

Yaldog
XHitoshuraX said:
Exactly, and what Clive really wanted to introduce in this game is complete sacrilegious visuals...and he pulled it off in spades.

Wait, is this the main thematic element of the game?

dionysus said:
Wait, is this the main thematic element of the game?

Well not the main theme, certainly a strong one. The game centres around the idea that God screwed up with the firstborn and decided to just throw him into the abyss, to discard a failed creation. The game has a handle on what our frailties are as human beings. The game truly redefines the meaning of evil and what it means to be truly evil.

Nizz

Wow, a lot of love went into creating this thread! Nice work :D One thing I wonder about the PS3 version though.... I wonder if you'll be able to fully customize the controller to your liking? I'd rather map the shooting to the L1/R1 buttons, something I couldn't do in the demo. If anyone knows for sure, please share...

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Downloading the demo, not sure I'll find the time to ply it before the week-end but 700ko sure is a nice DL speed ^_^

fps fanatic said:
Wow, a lot of love went into creating this thread! Nice work :D One thing I wonder about the PS3 version though.... I wonder if you'll be able to fully customize the controller to your liking? I'd rather map the shooting to the L1/R1 buttons, something I couldn't do in the demo. If antone knows for sure, please share...

The review code I have doesn't allow that no >.<

Nizz

XHitoshuraX said:
The review code I have doesn't allow that no >.<

Thanks for answering. Damn, I was afraid of that. It's not completely unplayable to me having the shooting to the L2/R2 triggers. I just would have preferred L1/R1. Oh well, I'll still most likely pick this up before the end of the year. I love Horror themed shooters (Doom 3, F.E.A.R.). This'll hopefully fill the Doom 3 type shooter hole on the PS3 I'm feeling...

fps fanatic said:
Thanks for answering. Damn, I was afraid of that. It's not completely unplayable to me having the shooting to the L2/R2 triggers. I just would have preferred L1/R1. Oh well, I'll still most likely pick this up before the end of the year. I love Horror themed shooters (Doom 3, F.E.A.R.). This'll hopefully fill the Doom 3 type shooter hole on the PS3 I'm feeling...

The PS3 needs horror games period!

Mar

Cool thread.

I played the demo and while it looks fantastic, I thought it played like ass. Very boring basic shooter. Still, after reading this thread I'm tempted to get the full game. I love me some Clive monsters. Maybe the visuals can keep it interesting alone... Maybe.

The designs are different I'll give you that, but at least they aren't generic.

Added more to the OP(s), most videos are spread throughout the OP, I'll bunch the gameplay ones together.

EDIT: Sorry, comp is freakin out

Concept17

Great thread, can't wait for this to come out next week. :)

And I really don't see how the ps3 demo is considered terrible by so many, played great for me.

It was cool and stuff but i really cant toss down £40 on this atm too many big hitters out in the next few weeks. Its a shame the demo showed prmise but when will devs.pubs learn not to bring games like this out this time of year when the line up is packed with releases this would have been a no brainer if it came out may-aug time.

This thread is so fucking awesome that it makes me want to run out and buy the game.

Unfortunately, I hated that demo something fierce. :(

Zer0

Banned
XHitoshuraX said:
but at least they aren't generic.

t

WHAT??? thats the main fault on the character´s design.. they are GENERIC as hell,big bald guy on armour,black leather on chicks,come on..

Zer0 said:
WHAT??? thats the main fault on the character´s design.. they are GENERIC as hell,big bald guy on armour,black leather on chicks,come on..

The entire team is gothic looking, completely original? No.

Oh and name me the last FPS that had a leather clad chick with a Katana and automatic pistol?

XHitoshuraX said:
Oh and name me the last FPS that had a leather clad chick with a Katana and automatic pistol?

At first I was going to say "too many to count" but you threw in that FPS part so it threw me off.

Sullen

Had zero interest in this game until I played the demo (PC). It was quite fun, and looked nice with everything on max, ran surprisingly well too.

I get the feeling a lot of people are going to select one character, play that person the entire time, and then bitch about how limited and boring the game is. :lol For me, 90% of the fun was switching between everyone and using all the different powers several times during each fight.

To be honest, there won't be enough people who buy it to complain lol But you are right, that is how its supposed to be played.

Zer0

Banned
XHitoshuraX said:
The entire team is gothic looking, completely original? No.

it not just only the looks,if u are trying to make and horror game with lots of ambience or gruesome enemies why in the hell use the same generic design used in a miriad of fps? u know big bald guy on a armour with a chain gun,green berets,black leather,come on

Zer0 said:
it not just only the looks,if u are trying to make and horror game with lots of ambience or gruesome enemies why in the hell use the same generic design used in a miriad of fps? u know big bald guy on a armour with a chain gun,green berets,black leather,come on

It's just the style. It works for some but not for others. Like with SH and how some don't find it scary because it's approach is too laid back compared to the more in your face horror games.

Nizz

Zer0 said:

Would you rather have them running around naked? *thinks about Abigail Black and "Billie" Church* Hmmmm, I'll get back to you on that one...

Mesijs

Just started with my review copy. It kicks off nicely, the very first combat has the kick to it that you want. Also, I was surprised by the quick time event. Looked good.

This could be a very nice game, intro part is good.

Zer0 said:

How many true horror FPS are there?

Doom?

Quake?

I can't exactly pinpoint it, but there's something about this game that really rubs me the right way. I think it may be the Crusades Slice, as those shots really hype me up for this horror-FPS hybrid. I'm downloading the demo right now, and I can't wait to see what's in store.

Mar

XHitoshuraX said:
How many true horror FPS are there?

Doom?

Quake?

I wouldn't even call DOOM or Quake horror FPS. Of course, DOOM 3 is.

This is why I'm most likely buying the game even though I didn't like the demo. It's a very small genre but a genre that I love. Undying was awesome. I'm already seeing what I liked about Undying and what I don't like about Jericho though. Undying was set in a giant mansion / castle on an island, full of gruesome nasties and ghosts. There isn't really any better setting for a horror game. Whereas Jericho.. I hope it was just the demo, but the world you're in seems characterless and boring.

Mar_ said:
I wouldn't even call DOOM or Quake horror FPS. Of course, DOOM 3 is.

This is why I'm most likely buying the game even though I didn't like the demo. It's a very small genre but a genre that I love. Undying was awesome. I'm already seeing what I liked about Undying and what I don't like about Jericho though. Undying was set in a giant mansion / castle on an island, full of gruesome nasties and ghosts. There isn't really any better setting for a horror game. Whereas Jericho.. I hope it was just the demo, but the world you're in seems characterless and boring.

Well the slice in the Demo is the Crusader Slice and is in the middle of an awesome event/level lol

Mesijs

Just completed the first part of the game, so I'm not that far in.

It has some nice things, but from what I've seen, the squad mechanics could have done better. Your teammates are too far of the place you've sent them. Also the combat seems a little chaotic, and feels a bit too scripted (entering a certain area and then killing a whole bunch of enemies and continuing). The first level feels uninspired too.

It's just the beginning, and it can get better of course. The game feels as if there's a lot of effort put in, so I hope it pays off.

For those who choose to care...

Added the final characters dossiers and more videos, thank you to those who support the thread!

:D

Top Bottom