• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E3 2009 Prediction Thread

DuckRacer

Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5 will both be shown. One game's showing will be ridiculously disappointing. The other game's showing will be epic. lulz will ensue.

Harmonix will announce their next slate of albums for Rock Band. One of them will be Master of Puppets. Another will be from a mega-artist (think big) and will coincidentally be their first songs in Rock Band.

Konami will announce Metal Gear Solid 4: Existence. It will be exclusive to the Xbox 360. Microsoft will pimp this fact alongside Splinter Cell: Conviction (another 360 exclusive) and say that only their console has the greatest stealth games. Or something stupid like that.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be announced for 360. The six people following this game solely because of its PS3 exclusivity will cry. Everyone else will collectively shrug.

A new Crackdown will be announced. It won't be Crackdown 2, but essentially a Crackdown 1.5; the same world, but with much more content and a fleshed out "story."

NeoGAF will continually 500, despite hefty server upgrades.

Starhawk will be announced and essentially be Warhawk in space. It will be the best Sony game at the show, because it'll be awesome.

Speaking of space, Star Wars Battlefront 3 will be officially unveiled. There'll be one more leak prior to the unveiling that'll indicate a severe downgrade.

Criterion releases Big Surf Island for Burnout Paradise at the show and subsequently announces Black 2.

Modern Warfare 2 steals the show.

Several new Guitar Hero games are announced; the audience lets out a collective sigh, except TheGreatDave, who lets out a single, weak cheer.

Modern Warfare 2 isn't announced for Wii. The gamers(?) who only own a Wii (and not even a DS) will whine and moan, hardcore sales-agers will whine and moan, everyone else collectively shrugs.

Nintendo announces nothing of worth for the third conference in a row, and for the third conference in a row gamers will have to wait for their October conference.

Splinter Cell: Conviction's gameplay is in the vein of Chaos Theory. Hobo Sam is no more. Open world is no more. That's why it's releasing alongside Assassin's Creed 2 this fall, otherwise there'd be competition between Ubisoft's own games.

Insomniac Games unofficially reassures fans of Resistance 1 that a sequel to Resistance 1 is in development. With the weapon wheel, without the shitty design decisions.

E3 this year will be a large improvement upon last year's E3, but it still won't be nearly as good as E3 pre-downgrade.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think anyone is 'following' FFVersusXIII because of its exclusivity, and it being multiplatform would be good thing, and people would do far more than shrug.

nildem

A new Wii console bundle with "Wii Sports: Resort" and Motion+ pack-in. Maybe different console colors.

Wii Player's Choice budget line, including stuff like Wii Sports, Excitetruck, WarioWare, maybe Rayman Raving Rabbits... Launch window stuff.

More Gamecube ports, including Super Mario Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion.

I was expecting PSP2 and MvC2 for XBLA and PSN to be revealed at E3, but I'm sure they're still going to take up a fairly significant part of both companies presentations.

Hopefully Half-Life: Episode 3. Or Portal 2. Or Counter-Strike 2. Please?

Sony shows a fantastic looking car racing game... it looks like GT5... until an ice cream truck slams into the car and runs it off the road. Twisted Metal.

Crackdown 2: You play as a member of a rebel group trying to take down the fascist police state created in the first game. The bosses are significantly more difficult. Epic chases across rooftops. The greatest superhero game of all time.

Nintendo shows a god damn graph.

StuBurns

Banned
Mango Positive said:
Sony shows a fantastic looking car racing game... it looks like GT5... until an ice cream truck slams into the car and runs it off the road. Twisted Metal.
That would be the most awesome way to announce that game ever, it's not going to be at E3 this year though.

PS3:
More R&C content
Expansion of video content on PSN
LBP 'expansion'/big content pack
LBP PSP
....GTPSP :-(
God Of War 3
I want to say price drop, but am un-aware of how financially viable it would be. I will be mildly surprised if they don't.

X360:
Halo 3:ODST
Shamblings about Halo:Chronicles
Alan Wake (probably)
Some neat XBLA stuff
???

Wii:
Some new 1st party 'hardcore' title for the Wii
Wiiware
Miscellaneous stuff for both Wii & DS
Something neat for DSi probably

Hope:
Expansion of PS1 downloads for PSN
Full 360 titles on XBL
PS2 BC... please. :'-(

stuburns said:
I don't think anyone is 'following' FFVersusXIII because of its exclusivity, and it being multiplatform would be good thing, and people would do far more than shrug.
I think you're being naive considering how much platform-related stupidity we see day-in, day-out.

On paper it's absolutely Sonys show to steal.

Sony.
Theyve got an fantastic 1st party line up..
GT5, Uncharted 2, Team Ico, FFXIIIvs, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank 4, etc.
Theyre not games we don't expect, but they are games that have been in the cooker long enough to make a monumental impression at this years E3.

My guess for surprises?
-New Kojima exclusive.
-New Level 5 RPG.
-Resistance 3 teaser.
-New Square exclusive.
-New Capcom exclusive.
-Twisted Metal

MS.
It would take a very strong showing from Microsoft just to match (not surpass) what Sony's 2009 E3 should be like.
I see them showing off some cool NXE stuff and stepping up their presentation (one thing Sony always has done better for E3 press conferences), and to finally show off Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Forza 3 and new Rare game(s)..also to announce some kind of exclusivity for Lost Planet 2 and Mass Effect 2.

My guess for surprises?
-APB re-emergence.
-New Sakaguchi teaser.
-New teaser from Epic.
-Crackdown 1.5.
-Itagaki teaser.
-Peter Jackson Halo teaser.

Nintendo.
Dunno don't care.

StuBurns

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
I think you're being naive considering how much platform-related stupidity we see day-in, day-out.
Maybe, but the thing about people shrugging it off is bullshit. It's like Sony's only third party exclusive, Microsoft taking it would melt GAF.

Niks

I predict...
bitter tears, epic lulz, gifs full of win, members on suicide watch, and 1 or 2 megatons.
:lol

Seriously, I hope MS shows Allan Wake, and Sony GT5

bounchfx

you exaggerate way too much.

the only prediction i have is that I'm going to have a shitload of fun trying all these new games out.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
At this point I'm just expecting entertainment through multiple meltdowns.

Like, Nintendo doing a worse showing than last year, Microsoft announcing an X-Mote (won't happen, but it would be fun) and Sony, well... being Sony?

Guled

Sony is going to take the MS route and just show whats coming this year/start of next
MS is going to take the Sony route and show 2010 stuff
people shall praise MS for the same thing they bashed sony for last year

DSi exclusive games, starting to be positioned as the DS successor
New Mario game or Wii Fit coming this year
GT5/Forza 3 coming this year
GT Mobie as a PSP GO! launch titles
TRICO
Heavy Rain will blow everyone way, will be a lot more impressive then Alan Wake, Game of the show
Fable 3 (not Damitri :()

MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3
Capcom will have a better E3 confres then all of the big 3.
MW2 for DS, not Wii
Mass Effect 2/Bio Shock 2 will meet expectations
Assassins Creed 2, New Splinter Cell, MW2 will blow everyone out of the water
MAG will be really disappointing
GoW3 will show footage that looks like a painting, Jaffe redeemed
Metal Gear Solid with Radian as main character, coming next year
MS will change the gold/sliver tier rankings, online play free for everyone
Crackdown 1.5 this year
Epic new Horror game
Revival of PSP
Sony showing more love to DD

androvsky

CrushDance said:

I'll take a permanent ban if it does come out for 360(And no I don't mean a year later port).

Man, I wouldn't bet my lunch money on SE doing anything sensible while Wada's running it. Especially this console gen.

Anyway, MS has been hiring like mad for a new first-party studio to make Halo games, right? I don't follow MS much, but how are people not guessing a Halo 4 CG trailer at the very least? Also expect a ton of social networking stuff built-in to Live. They'll announce Front Mission, but I'll be mildly surprised if it's exclusive.

Sony:
Mass Effect 2.
It's Sony's turn to announce something from Epic, right?
Classic game store on PSN. PS1, PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast, possibly more. Unlikely, I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Again. ;)
Oh yeah, PSP Go. Cellular data connection, Skype only works at wifi hotspots (is that how it generally works with phone companies?). Hopefully they snuck a qwerty keyboard somewhere on it.
Cross-game voice chat for PS3 announced, probably goes live in the firmware update due around e3.
No price cut for the PS3.

urge26

Rare: Perfect Dark 2, Perfect Dark (Arcade), still no Killer Instinct 3.
Ubisoft: first footage of Splinter Cell Conviction, Ghost Recon 4, complete blowouts on Assassins Creed 2 and No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle.
Capcom: Next-Gen Strider, Strider Rearmed (Arcade/PSN), Microsoft stage demo of Dead Rising 2, complete blowouts on all of the stuff they've announced. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 a no show.
Bungie: ODST blowout and Microsoft stage demo, new IP revealed behind closed doors.
Sony: Gran Turismo 5, MAG gets a name change, GOW3 Sony stage demo.
Microsoft Lost Planet 2 exclusive live demo, Crackdown 2 announcement, Forza 3 blowout, another lame Alan Wake trailer.
Rockstar Max Payne 3 blowout, GTA3 downloadable content reveal

Modern Warfare 2 game of show

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I predict this thread will be closed within the next day

abacab driver said:
On paper it's absolutely Sonys show to steal.

Sony.
Theyve got an fantastic 1st party line up..
GT5, Uncharted 2, Team Ico, FFXIIIvs, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank 4, etc.
Theyre not games we don't expect, but they are games that have been in the cooker long enough to make a monumental impression at this years E3.

My guess for surprises?
-New Kojima exclusive.
-New Level 5 RPG.
-Resistance 3 teaser.
-New Square exclusive.
-New Capcom exclusive.
-Twisted Metal

MS.
It would take a very strong showing from Microsoft just to match (not surpass) what Sony's 2009 E3 should be like.
I see them showing off some cool NXE stuff and stepping up their presentation (one thing Sony always has done better for E3 press conferences), and to finally show off Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Forza 3 and new Rare game(s)..also to announce some kind of exclusivity for Lost Planet 2 and Mass Effect 2.

My guess for surprises?
-APB re-emergence.
-New Sakaguchi teaser.
-New teaser from Epic.
-Crackdown 1.5.
-Itagaki teaser.
-Peter Jackson Halo teaser.

Nintendo.
Dunno don't care.

This post is beautiful.

Amir0x

Banned
Since these shows are always hype and disappointment, I'll save my "wants" to a short list:

Sony ->

PS3 is "$299 w/ BC!"

Microsoft ->

Alan FUCKING Wake

Nintendo ->

Pikmin 3

PC ->

Wolfenstein

Actually come to think of it, this is not much of a prediction list. It is just what I want to see more of, mostly.

What I want to see.......

General:
-Modern Warfare 2 (that teaser was awesome)
-Assassin's Creed 2 (that teaser was dumb)
-Perfect Dark 2 (this time with more "good")
-More Buckethead on Rock Band

360:
-Alan Wake
-More Avatar options and clothes (srsly)
-Mass Effect 2 (hopefully with new/better gameplay engine)
-Bungie apologize; de-fuckup their Team Slayer (fuck you and the DLC you rode in on!)

PS3:
-New Twisted Metal
-More Uncharted 2 goodness
-More on MAG (don't launch until it's ready)
-Jak IV (know it won't happen yet but a girl can hope)
-More platformers (Sly Cooper ftw, fuck InFamous)

Nintendo:
-Luigi's Mansion 2
-Something awesome from Nintendo (Zelda? Mario? DKC 4?)
-Online? Maybe in the next decade?
-The return of Perrin Kaplan, firing of other bitches

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sega will announce Daytona USA 3. I'll die happy.
EA announces new Road Rash, developed by Criterion. EA also bribes Chris Cornell into doing a Soundgarden reunion.
WB buys Midway and puts their classic IP's on the Wii Virtual Console Arcade, starting with the Mortal Kombat and Cruis'n games. Sega also announces a shitload of VC Arcade games, including Daytona USA 1, Virtua Racing, Virtua Cop 2, and many others.
Need for Speed Shift will shock and surprise. It'll be that awesome.
New PSP, people will try to act shocked.

Acosta

Guled said:
Fable 3 (not Damitri :()

You are out of luck. MS is holding the presentation video, Peter wrote in the community forum that he expected the video out for "next week", eight days ago. [EDIT for stupidity and bad reading from my part, Peter was just answering a quote about "See the Future", not talking about Dimitri, duh, I keep my original writing to be mocked, I still think there is going to be a non Fable Lionhead announcement, but now is just personal guess]

Aside of that, MS won't get Versus for the simple reason it´s a Nomura's pet project. Nothing MS can do will force Wada to risk loosing his star designer, if there was interest on it being multi, it would have happened already when they made the FFXIII anouncement.

About MGS4, it could happen I guess (it has happened before after all), I don't think it would be nearly as impactful as the FF XIII multi announcement. That was the big hit of MS, especially because it grants them an important game while they avoid their rival having an important exclusive. A one year old port of MGS4 it´s not at the same category.

Frankly, I want to see new projects, ports announcements are worthless for me aside of the brief entertainment of the meltdowns.

Amir0x

Banned
timetokill said:
Um... Nintendo has had online in several of their games now? And in most of them it works really well. Pretty much Smash Bros. aside.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "really well". I mean, if your standard for "really well" is "can connect to other players on occasion", then I suppose. If your standard is any other videogame platform under the sun, then it is pretty feeble online experience from Nintendo so far.

Vinci

Danish
timetokill said:
Um... Nintendo has had online in several of their games now? And in most of them it works really well. Pretty much Smash Bros. aside.

I think he means on a level remotely close to what Live provides. And yes, that's a stupid thing to want (given it's completely impossible) - and no, he doesn't care.

EDIT, @ Amirox: ExciteBots works pretty well online actually.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't see MGS4 or FFVersusXIII going multiplatform, Sony Pictures are indulging Kojima with the MGS movie, hollywood moves at a snails pace, so if that even happens it'll be years from now. And Nomura is a Sony fanboy with more pull over SE than Microsoft. But who knows, they both could. I think they both should though.

i predict everyone will say things along the lines of "Nintendo will announce Kid Icarus and Zelda! They HAVE to!" followed by those same people saying Nintendo has forgotten about them and that they are selling their Wiis.

That being said, I really hope there is a new Zelda or Kid Icarus shown. Or the GBC DSi store, with Link's Awakening DX being a launch title.

i actually am expecting this E3 to be a pretty big one, now that the consoles are all reaching their stride.

maybe there will either be a Wii price drop, or new colors. I'd kill for a lime green Wii remote.

that reminds me, new colors for either the Lite or DSi.

LCfiner

Acosta said:
Aside of that, MS won't get Versus for the simple reason it´s a Nomura's pet project. Nothing MS can do will force Wada to risk loosing his star designer, if there was interest on it being multi, it whould have happened already when they made the FFXIII anouncement.

hmm... I'm not saying that VS will go the the 360, but I tend to think that the argument that a designer is holding back a port is kinda weak.

Nomura may not like it (would he care? Honestly, i didn't think he cared that much about platforms), but SE would do it if they felt it would be profitable and fit their schedule. catering to the whims of a designer who may not like a particular console is not sound strategy.

Acosta

Salazar said:
Project Offset, hopefully for consoles. In any case, there'll be amazing media for it.
Thief 4. Game of show.

Yes, a game designed for showcasing a next generation GPU gets console ports, sounds like a good idea.

Vinci

Danish
Acosta said:
Yes, a game designed for showcasing a next generation GPU gets console ports, sounds like a good idea.

I don't understand why people always want a console port of a high-end graphics PC game. Just buy it on the PC. Support it where it was meant to be.

Dante

Oh here's my list of former E3 announcements that will yet again be a no show:

NCSofts, exclusive PS3 game
Rockstars Exclusive PS3 game
Peter Jacksons Halo Project.

FrankT

Anyone have a link to last year's thread? Always love reminiscing on those. Maybe this year we will get some kid hiding under some seats to leak the entire Sony conference again, haha.

Garryk

MS:
NXE Upgrades
New Halo stuff
Alan Wake
New GTA4 DLC
Mass Effect 2

Sony:
GOW3
MAG
GT5
GTM
PSN Upgrades
New PSP

Nintendo:
Motion+ stuff
DSi VC (I want this more than anything)
Big 3 game announced
Pikmin Wii
Wii UI Upgrade

Acosta

LCfiner said:
hmm... I'm not saying that VS will go the the 360, but I tend to think that the argument that a designer is holding back a port is kinda weak.

Nomura may not like it (would he care? Honestly, i didn't think he cared that much about platforms), but SE would do it if they felt it would be profitable and fit their schedule. catering to the whims of a designer who may not like a particular console is not sound strategy.

Nomura has lots of power inside Square Enix, his designs sell games and merchandising, that is what they let him the direction of AC, and that's is why they gave him free reign over all aspects of Versus, including direction and story. If he doesn't want to make Versus multi, it won't be multi.

My point is this, if Versus was multi, SE would have said so already, specifically the past E3 when they announced FF XIII. Instead of that, the Versus trailer at AC Complete says "Playstation 3 exclusive worldwide". Do you really think they would insist so much on the idea if they were going to announce a multi version two months later? I doubt it. It´s just common sense.

In any case, I don't know what the point is. The huge impact was the FFXIII multi thing, there is nothing bigger beyond that this generation. Honestly, I don't care if it´s multi or not, just trying to make a coherent point about why I believe this.

Kard8p3

If nintendo announced and shows off a new 2D metroid for DS then they will have won the show for me. After that everything else would be a bonus.

Amir0x

Banned
Vinci said:
EDIT, @ Amirox: ExciteBots works pretty well online actually.

Can you communicate with a headset?
When your friends play online, does the overall online infrastructure inform you of this fact?
Is online consistently lag-free?
Does it use friend codes?
Can you invite friends from other games while they are playing them into a round of Excitebots?

I mean, it may hit one point, or another point, but Nintendo's online plan is almost always a hodgepodge of barely workable parts. Mario Kart Wii was the best I've seen them do, but even that was a sad imitation of any of the infinitely superior online systems of their competitors.

Edit: Also I have ExciteBots, and its online is nothing special. Compared to pretty much any racing game on a competent online system

StuBurns

Banned
Acosta said:
Nomura has lots of power inside Square Enix, his designs sell games and merchandising, that is what they let him the direction of AC, and that's is why they gave him free reign over all aspects of Versus, including direction and story.

My point is this, if Versus was multi, SE would have said so already, specifically the past E3 when they announced FF XIII. Instead of that, the Versus trailer at AC Complete says "Playstation 3 exclusive worldwide". Do you really think they would insist so much on the idea if they were going to announce a multi version two months later? I doubt it. It´s just common sense.
Beyond Nomura's statement about supporting the companies that have supported you, and him keeping KH off the GC last gen, I think this is the reason it's not multiplatform. Because he's said so post-E3. Not "currently exclusive" or anything like it. Just flat out confirmation.

Who knows though, I can't imagine why he wouldn't want it on 360, even if it was a port later by a different team, it's not going to hurt him.

LCfiner

Acosta said:
Nomura has lots of power inside Square Enix, his designs sell games and merchandising, that is what they let him the direction of AC, and that's is why they gave him free reign over all aspects of Versus, including direction and story.

honestly, I don't think VS is coming to the 360 either and I agree with your reasoning in your second paragraph. If it was multiplatform, I bet we would have heard about it last E3.

I just think the Nomura connection isn't a big factor contributing to this.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
i dont get it.. dont these game companies know we want megaton E3 excitement? If I was one of the big 3, I would make sure to wow everyone.. I'd make it a point to keep topping myself each year..

last E3 was pretty dull - I hope this is not a repeat

StuBurns

Banned
LCfiner said:
I just think the Nomura connection isn't a big factor contributing to this.
He's not directing FFXIII, that's multiplatform. He is the difference between the two projects. They were both massive budget, PS3 exclusives, with a brand name that means something, that's why Microsoft would have wanted FFXIII I imagine. FFVersusXIII is all those things.

Mango Positive said:
Crackdown 2: You play as a member of a rebel group trying to take down the fascist police state created in the first game. The bosses are significantly more difficult. Epic chases across rooftops. The greatest superhero game of all time.

:O That would be awesome.

Salazar

Vinci said:
I don't understand why people always want a console port of a high-end graphics PC game. Just buy it on the PC. Support it where it was meant to be.

Yeah, why would people without a high-end PC want a console port of a high-end PC game ?

Top Bottom