• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Skilletor

PleoMax said:
HELP

So just after i take out the 8th Fleet with the gold judge, i have to go to jahara or wtf its the name, and have to go through giza plains.

Now, i'm level 20 across the party, and i don't have any prob with the monsters besides this eletric little piece of shit. It's an elemental, and the little shit casts thundara that takes off almost 1000 from everyone, killing my entire party. And i can't avoid the little shit, because it won't stop chasing me. Help, this little turd is sooo above the rest of the monsters that it feels like a damn boss, i mean the other monster take about 30 points damage max out of me, and this little shit does almost 1000

It says its weakness is Water, yeah right, my ass, because i cast water on the little shit and it does 0 damage.

Anybody?

Elementals aggro to magic if I remember correctly. Just make sure none of your gambits are set to cast anything and you should be able to run right by it.

PleoMax

Banned
KyanMehwulfe said:
There are certain odd or rare monsters that are much stronger than anything else around it (or the typical level range for that area). They're not really designed to be killed yet. Just a sort of optional thing to come back for, and to add a sense of danger to the world I suppose.

You should be able to avoid it though... I'm unsure of what to advise. Are you zoning back into the city to try ditch it? Have you opened up the area to the southern zone yet? (With the fallen dead trees.)

Ok i think i've figured it out, when i use magic it suddenly goes from green to red, so i think the trick is to not use magic, because when i don't use magic (Like cure) apparently it doesn't react.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey, can someone tell me where the Zodiac Spear is?
I didn't open any of the chests, but I still don't know where the spear is.
It's in Necrohol of Nabudis - how does one get there?

I'm around level 35 and approaching the end of the game. What I find odd is that I haven't relied on black magic yet in any of my fights. Basically physical attacks, heals and esuna have kept me going for most of the game. This is the first FF I can remember me ignoring black magic.

Red Scarlet

John Harker said:
Hey, can someone tell me where the Zodiac Spear is?
I didn't open any of the chests, but I still don't know where the spear is.
It's in Necrohol of Nabudis - how does one get there?

Did you fight the Bomb King at the Salika Woods? Nabudis is right after him at the northwestern part of Salika Woods.
In Nabudis, there is a room on the third floor that has 16 pots. Open the 2nd pot from the left in the front to find the spear if you didn't open any of the wrong chests.

Here's a short video starting from the orange save crystal at the Salika Woods going into Nabudis and grabbing the spear then leaving:

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/ff12-32.avi

The badguys should be a little more manageable at your point in the game (but still watch out). Make sure you open the pot shown in the video, I opened the far left front one and didn't get the spear; every time I opened the pot in the video first I'd get the spear.

If the spear isn't showing up, try a couple more times, but it probably means you got a bad chest and will then have to go to the Henne Mines for the other spear location.

The video is from the Japanese version, but you should have no problem being able to tell what is going on there by now. Plus it's the fastest time I've seen of getting the spear (4 minutes).

Pleo: As soon as you see one of those elemental guys, hold the run button down and dont let go until you don't see the life bar of the elemental, spells piss them off. Or go into the menu and turn off gambits and don't use spells until you are out of the range of the elemental. They pop up throughout the game.

Red Scarlet

I don't know, it is weird to me too. I know there are a handful of healing traps, but mostly harmful ones. Maybe just to annoy. I mean, I know there were 'trap rooms' in 2 that pretty much got you into a couple of fights trying to get out and spiked squares in FF1 and 4 with pre-set fights, maybe it was based on those or something.

Or maybe it has to do with those traps in FF Tactics and if there are traps in other games Matsuno made. Maybe Matsuno guy likes traps or something.

AniHawk

This has been the most aggravating, god awful RPG I've played since Grandia III. Unlike Grandia III, this has a fantastic world, characters, music, and voice acting, which is what keeps me going. Though unlike past Final Fantasy games, the story bits are much further in between. I'm currently at level 35 and have just started going after some random optional bosses. Ran across Adremmalich or whatever he's called on accident while hunting. That was a surprise.

Honestly, this wouldn't be such a bitch if the game was just a little more forgiving. For fuck's sake, I ran from Mandagoras, with so little health left, into a room with the first save crystal in a long time. EXCEPT IT FUCKING KILLS MY PARTY. YOU JUST COME RUNNING A LONG WAY AND WANT TO REST YOUR WEARY PARTY? SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER, YOU'RE A DEAD MAN NOW.

Red Scarlet

Those Crystal Bug things can be beaten with a relatively weak Mist combo usually. Were you in that Sochen place? Or were you fighting the Lv99 vegetables (which I still don't know how that happened my first time through)?

AniHawk

Red Scarlet said:
Those Crystal Bug things can be beaten with a relatively weak Mist combo usually. Were you in that Sochen place? Or were you fighting the Lv99 vegetables (which I still don't know how that happened my first time through)?

I had spent a couple hours getting Vaan, Fran, and Balthier from level 20 to level 29 so they could fight Elder Wyrm. From that point through the fight with the small little Mandagoras guys (one is an onion, one is a pumpkin), I was trying to have Basch, Ashe, and Penelo catch up, because they're powerhouses. I reluctantly used ALL quickenings on the little fuckers and thought "Oh boy. A save point. That's a nice thing right about now." *BZZZ* WRONG. Soon I'm left with six less members than I entered the room with and one less FFXII game disc.

The game so ridiculously favors the enemy, it's a wonder I've made it this far. When I fought
Dr. Cid
I didn't even bother with the Rooks on my third try (level 32). I just killed him outright.

AniHawk said:
This has been the most aggravating, god awful RPG I've played since Grandia III. Unlike Grandia III, this has a fantastic world, characters, music, and voice acting, which is what keeps me going. Though unlike past Final Fantasy games, the story bits are much further in between. I'm currently at level 35 and have just started going after some random optional bosses. Ran across Adremmalich or whatever he's called on accident while hunting. That was a surprise.

Honestly, this wouldn't be such a bitch if the game was just a little more forgiving. For fuck's sake, I ran from Mandagoras, with so little health left, into a room with the first save crystal in a long time. EXCEPT IT FUCKING KILLS MY PARTY. YOU JUST COME RUNNING A LONG WAY AND WANT TO REST YOUR WEARY PARTY? SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER, YOU'RE A DEAD MAN NOW.

hahah...yeah sometimes save crystals can be a long way apart cough
Giruvegan
cough...

Heh, anyway... I loved the game. Sounds like you are just aggrevated at certain poinst...this is the best game Ive completed this year...without a doubt

AniHawk

nelsonroyale said:
hahah...yeah sometimes save crystals can be a long way apart cough
Giruvegan
cough...

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going there next. But I want to get a little stronger so the game stops kicking me in the ass for more than five minutes.

I just remembered that I had one thing left to do. Go after
Omega Mark XII
and belatedly get that
Wyrmhero
blade. Temp avatar shift time (Adrammalech).

John Harker

Red Scarlet said:
Did you fight the Bomb King at the Salika Woods? Nabudis is right after him at the northwestern part of Salika Woods.
In Nabudis, there is a room on the third floor that has 16 pots. Open the 2nd pot from the left in the front to find the spear if you didn't open any of the wrong chests.

Ahh, yup, that's what it was!

I couldnt beat him my first time through the woods; I tried neigh 10 times, but I couldn't beat him so I promptly forgot about him.
I beat him last night easy as pie though! I nabbed the spear, the whole event took me a little over 2 hours.

Thanks, that was great though - I had no idea that entire area existed!
It's pretty big, it was a nice romp.

I should absolutely be able to beat the game now. I tried Vayne last week at level 45ish and the first couple forms were easy but the end gave me a challenge and I lost.

Now after getting the spear, I have 2 lvl 48 and 2 lvl 49 characters, and Basch kinda rips it up with the Zodiac Spear and Maximillian armor.

Hopefully by tonight or tomorrow I will have confirmed finally beating FF12!

AniHawk

JayDubya said:
AniHawk seems really, really under-levelled. Now granted, I always over-level, but still.

I've been getting by. I was level 32/33 from
Cid through the entry point to Giruvegan
. I've sorta become a quickening master, which makes those boss fights into total jokes.

Now, I have Golden Amulet equipped on everyone and I'm hunting down all sorts of marks. Finally everyone is getting nice and strong. Once I get all magic up, I'm going to get some Embroidered Tippets and do some grinding the fast and easy way. I'm prolly another 15 hours from the end of the game (putting me at 60 hours even).

I was expecting something different. I love the characters and wanted to see more of them, but the game is essentially a dungeon crawler, which I've never been a fan of. It sorta reminded me of Valkyrie Profile 2, except VP2 is incredibly superior.

John Harker

I BEAT IT!!! FINALLY!!
... and the peasants rejoice

Best FF since 6? I dunno, too tough to call... I've never played a FF I didn't like
Besides X-2

Certainly one of the most engrossing.
I don't understand peoples problems with the story - it had some of the best and most memorable characters I've lived with in an RPG. I really got into the epic nature of the journey, the maturity of the central themes... yea, kinda convoluted, but at least it wasnt spelt out for you every step of the way. Hell, I even liked the ending :: shrug ::

what a relief to finally have that off my back since October though, whew. Bring on next gen RPGs!

Red Scarlet

Now you're ready for this!
ff12i-00.png

Or DQ8! I'll help you out. :)

Have fun with whatever you do.

John Harker

Red Scarlet said:
Now you're ready for this!
ff12i-00.png

Or DQ8! I'll help you out. :)

Have fun with whatever you do.

I'd love to try the Intl version, wouldn't be the first time I played a japenese import. I was sooo pumped for FFX that I paid $100 back in the day to get it over from Japan. I got decently far, but it was just a distraction to the NA release. I don't really want to play another Japenese-language only game though, especially one so epic. Most of the subtle changes would be lost on me :(

And DQ8?
I'm sure someone here could speak to my opinion on that game :lol

(sorry... i was veeeerrrryyy dissapointed by it, and I bought it only on GAFs reco)

but thanks for all your help on FF12!
Did you play FF12: RW? How was it? It looks like the ending of FF12 leads right into the little I know of the story behind FF12:RW

PleoMax

Banned
AniHawk said:

Yeah the game is pretty hard. I'm level 41, just after beating the 1st boss in geruvigan, and now i press forward and each enemy going around is a freaking mini boss, and they hang around in fucking packs. I just beat a boss in the most natural way, and now i'm having troube with these fucking bitches.

The game pushes it too much sometimes. I'm actually taking a break now, or i'll burn out, so a couple days will prevent me from telling the game to go suck a dick.

AniHawk

PleoMax said:
Yeah the game is pretty hard. I'm level 41, just after beating the 1st boss in geruvigan, and now i press forward and each enemy going around is a freaking mini boss, and they hang around in fucking packs. I just beat a boss in the most natural way, and now i'm having troube with these fucking bitches.

The game pushes it too much sometimes. I'm actually taking a break now, or i'll burn out, so a couple days will prevent me from telling the game to go suck a dick.

I wiped out the guardian dude and most of the enemies inside with relative ease. Get the golden amulet equipped on everyone and go to town. Unlock all the augments and the game becomes a cakewalk.

PleoMax

Banned
AniHawk said:
I wiped out the guardian dude and most of the enemies inside with relative ease. Get the golden amulet equipped on everyone and go to town. Unlock all the augments and the game becomes a cakewalk.

Yeah i was thinking about teleporting to town and get some shiz. Golden amulet? *Notes*

I'll try that

AniHawk

PleoMax said:
Yeah i was thinking about teleporting to town and get some shiz. Golden amulet? *Notes*

I'll try that

Golden Amulets can be found in Eruyt Village for 4500 gil (or whatever the currency is this time) each. They double license points. Embroidered Tippets can be found in Old Archades (so warp in at Sochen Cave Palace and go through the door) for 5000 gil. Those double Exp points. But you probably don't need those unless you're going on some more dangerous hunts.

Talka

I'm finally getting around to playing FFXII, but the game is going crazy on my widescreen HDTV. It can't seem to handle 16:9. The CGI cutscenes are off-center, raised really high up with huge black bars below and to the sides of the screen. When the game gets around to normal gameplay, everything works properly and is centered.

Huh?

All right, first play through, and I just got to the point where I have access to all six characters and I can change up the party as much as I like. I don't mind some grinding but I don't like to do a ton, so I'm planning on just sticking with my three favorite characters through the rest of the game. This has never been a problem for me in past FFs...is it going to get me in trouble here? Will I get to a point where I'm just completely screwed if I leave three guys sitting in the lvl 9-13 range?

Based on the pics on the last couple pages it looks like I'm fine. Sorry if this was answered recently...I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I dont think the game is hard, but the learning curve is a little steep. Halfway trough the game I got some good gambits set up and just romped trough everything.

My gripe is that the game tapers off really quickly. I thought I was around halfway when I was really almost done with the game

It's that the game has a very large spectrum of typical power compared to most console RPGs.

It's a very natural thing to underlevel a lot because of the ease of retreating, no loading, complacency from Gambits, etc. It's also a very natural thing to overlevel a lot because of Hunts, the [for some] desirable grind style of XPing, luring Licenses or using all 6 characters, etc. There's also a lot of creative depth to the game (not so much quality depth), so you can end up with some pretty weak Lv50s that are Ability heavy compared to some very strong Lv30s with Bubble, Berserker, Decoy, etc. Then throw in whether or not the person takes advantage of (or even knows about) the often overally strong and easy Quickenings.

So what you end up with is such a wide spectrum of reception to how difficult the game was.

Outside of outright non-linear RPGs like Elder Scrolls, I can't recall another console RPG which has received anywhere near as many "the game is hard" comments alongside so many "the game is easy" comments. It can simply vary a lot.

Red Scarlet

echoshifting said:
Will I get to a point where I'm just completely screwed if I leave three guys sitting in the lvl 9-13 range?

You can use just three characters, I always have. But it is handy to have some backup if things go badly.

Okay, I'm kind of stuck here -

I'm in the Feywood, trying to get through the Gigas Gate to enter Giruvegan, but I have no idea what to do. I found my way through all the illusion paths, and the gate tells me "Gigas Summoner, gate's power is yours to claim. Beyond the the gate lies sacred Giruvegan. Over the one gate the Gigas holds sway." - what am I supposed to do here?

Chris R

Going to start this back up, as I'm pretty close to finishing FFT on the PSP and want more Ivalice. I got as far as the desert/oilfeild on my first playthrough and then just kinda gave up :(

ezekial45

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Okay, I'm kind of stuck here -

I'm in the Feywood, trying to get through the Gigas Gate to enter Giruvegan, but I have no idea what to do. I found my way through all the illusion paths, and the gate tells me "Gigas Summoner, gate's power is yours to claim. Beyond the the gate lies sacred Giruvegan. Over the one gate the Gigas holds sway." - what am I supposed to do here?

Summon Belias and then examine

ezekial45 said:
Summon Belias and then examine

Dangit, I tried that but with the wrong guy. Thanks a ton! And in 2 minutes no less! I <3 GAF :D

rhfb said:
Going to start this back up, as I'm pretty close to finishing FFT on the PSP and want more Ivalice. I got as far as the desert/oilfeild on my first playthrough and then just kinda gave up :(

You have so far to go! This game is really good, but man is it ever looooong.

tanod

when is my burrito
rhfb said:

Unfortunately, that's one of the spots where the game drags. My only tip is to press forward.

Neil

I am ridiculously over levelled.
I've finished everyone's License grid, my main team are level 59, secondary team level 37.
I've just done Draklor. So, the game is pretty much a walk in the park for me now.

Kyoufu

Neil said:
I am ridiculously over levelled.
I've finished everyone's License grid, my main team are level 59, secondary team level 37.
I've just done Draklor. So, the game is pretty much a walk in the park for me now.

This is the perfect time for you to do Gilgamesh. Enjoy the fight!

I did him underleveled and underequiped (items, abilities, etc)...

Took me just over an hour and I had to manually time heals to have my tank survive burst damage.

By far one of the most enjoyable and challenging jrpg fights that I can remember.

Kyoufu

KyanMehwulfe said:
I did him underleveled and underequiped (items, abilities, etc)...

Took me just over an hour and I had to manually time heals to have my tank survive burst damage.

By far one of the most enjoyable and challenging jrpg fights that I can remember.

Same here. You wouldn't believe the epic fight I had with him on the International Zodiac version. Basically, since my characters were specific jobs, I ended up having to use my Red Mage to manually sleep the pet while I stole genji equipment and tried to keep my tank alive. The dog kept waking up every couple minutes so it was pretty intense. If the dog was awake long enough to cast the status debuffs on my party, I would be toast. Took me 50 minutes. Best fight ever!

Is there any hope for an English translation of the International Zodiac Job System version? A fast forward button and the new job system might make it worth to give it another chance.

Narcosis

archnemesis said:
Is there any hope for an English translation of the International Zodiac Job System version? A fast forward button and the new job system might make it worth to give it another chance.

Given Square's past history with thing like Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Final Fantasy X International, no, there is no hope. Learn to read kanji and import or forget it exists.

fatty

Ok guys, I done a search and couldn't find anything on this. I'm only about 10 hours in and I can't figure out why Fran can't use magic. Her MP is always at 0 (currently it's at 00/40). Anyone know why this is?

She has learned the spells and they even show up in the menu but it won't let me give her the MP to use them. I don't know what the deal is. She's the only one as well. What am I missing?

Kyoufu

fatty said:
Ok guys, I done a search and couldn't find anything on this. I'm only about 10 hours and I can't figure out why Fran can't use magic. Her MP is always at 0 (currently it's at 00/40). Anyone know why this is?

She has learned the spells and they even show up in the menu but they won't give her the MP to use them. I don't know what the deal is. She's the only one as well. What am I missing?

Check your accessories/weapons. You're probably equipping a story-related weapon or acc. that takes your MP to 0.

fatty

Kyoufu said:
Check your accessories/weapons. You're probably equipping a story-related weapon or acc. that takes your MP to 0.

Oh crap, thanks a lot. I'm such a retard. I checked all of the equipment except for the accessory, which was the Goddess's Magicite. Thanks again.

I always try to look at Gamefaqs, game specific forums or whatever first but I always end up finding the answer faster on GAF. (esp. when it comes to custom firmware, I'm looking at you Mejilan)

fatty

Ok fellas, another question. I'm about 20 hours in with each of my characters around level 18-19 and I just picked up my first Esper
(Belias, or something like that)
not too long ago. So I was fighting
Vossler
and it was pretty challenging in the end when he is in full combo mode, then I use my Esper and it's pretty much a cakewalk. Are the Espers so powerful that it makes the battles too easy? Right now it seems that Esper = Win Button. If that's the case I'm going to hold off on using them as I like the challenge I'm currently getting.

I haven't gone back and read the whole thread but do you guys feel the Espers kind of cause the game to lose some of it's balance? Keep in mind that I'm playing through just the main quest, occasionally doing some of the hunts but I'm not going to really make them a priority. I'm just wondering what to expect as I add Espers and Quickenings to my group.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Belias is only really useful when you first get him. After that, he and all other Espers become quickly useless through the rest of the game.

Top Bottom