• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Domion Ghaleon '08.

BELIEVE in CHANGE.

Nulla facilisi. Proin viverra congue eros. Aenean consectetuer pellentesque enim. Morbi id nulla. Vivamus aliquam faucibus nisl. Curabitur orci odio, semper eget, tempus vel, facilisis et, tellus. Vivamus magna enim.

TDG

Banned
LTTP, but if I were to ask a question for the BWU, I guess it would be:

Bungie has done a really effective job of ruining Halo 2 maps, and that's clearly continuing with Assembly (or Midship 0.1), but only one Halo: CE map has been ruined so far, what are the chances of seeing more Halo: CE remakes?

TDG said:

Bungie has done a really effective job of ruining Halo 2 maps, and that's clearly continuing with Assembly (or Midship 0.1), but only one Halo: CE map has been ruined so far, what are the chances of seeing more Halo: CE remakes?

Well played sir, well played.

Kibbles

TDG said:

Yeah they totally ruined Midship! WTF Bungle! Yo, I bet the texchures are horrible on that map 2! damnit bungle, make gud games and fix teh BRz!~

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dirtbag_504 posits: Is it true you and Shishka totally embarrassed Walshy from MLG at PAX?

Yes, it’s true.

:lol

Nice constructed wolf for the pic, btw.

Also, WTF at the Golf-themed Superintendant shirt/banner.

Chinner

Banned
They list 10 achievements there that add up to a total of 250, but the update itself says theres moar. Perhaps a change to the dlc achievement structure is coming, indeed?

TDG

Banned
As folks have seen, these aren’t the only achievements we’re adding. But without proper context, there’s not a whole lot else we’re going to say. Stay tuned.
Hmm... the other achievements come with the next map pack?
Another thing we’d file under the “peace of mind” changes portion of TU2 is that we’ll be taking a much closer look at habitual quitters and their contribution to the Halo 3 population.
Seriously? Wow. Unexpected, and awesome if anything comes from it.
RIGGS has a burning inquiry: The final word on the beta tripmine debate , will it return or won't it, I'd like to know either way so we can put this baby to bed.

Nope. Tuck it in, leave the pacifier by the bed post.
*sigh*

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Awesome update. :D Bungie invitational? :O

Chinner said:
They list 10 achievements there that add up to a total of 250, but the update itself says theres moar. Perhaps a change to the dlc achievement structure is coming, indeed?

IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

Kibbles

Since they only revealed the Legendary, I'm guessing there are no heroic achievements since they didn't reveal that... so perhaps these "6 maps" will be released in separate packs of 3?

Chinner

Banned

Sai-kun

Banned
SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED.

copypasta for those who can't view it!:

Luke said:
Achievements Unlocked

Inevitably, this will be blown out of context, misread and misunderstood, but let’s do it anyway.

For a number of reasons ranging from obvious to sublime, Title Update 2 (which is the new, hip, Xbox 360-version way of saying “Auto Update” or “Patch”), introduces new Achievements to Halo 3. Last weekend at Penny-Arcade Expo we played Assembly on the TU2, which meant that folks would see and buzz about the new achievements. These will be made live when TU2 turns on later this month - the previously announced date may slip a bit closer to the Halo 3 one-year anniversary.

Here’s a look at these achievements which can be earned via the Legendary Maps and Halo 3 Campaign:

* Vidmaster Challenge: Lightswitch (0 points) – Get to the rank of Lieutenant in any playlist in the new EXP progression system.
* Vidmaster Challenge: 7 on 7 (0 points) – Enter into any ranked or social playlist with 7 EXP on the 7th of the month.
* Vidmaster Challenge: Annual (0 points) – After 9/25/08, complete Halo on 4-player Legendary LIVE co-op, with Iron, and everyone in Ghosts.
* Double Double (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get two Double Kills during any ranked or social match.
* Poor Yorick (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get 3 Oddball melee kills during any ranked or social match.
* Came…From…Behind (50 points) – On a Legendary map, get 3 assassinations during any ranked or social match.
* Defend This (50 points) – On a Legendary map, get a flag melee kill during any ranked or social match.
* Flag Dropped (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get 2 flag carrier kills during any ranked or social match.
* Road Rage (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get 5 Warthog chaingun kills during any ranked or social match.
* Look Both Ways (50 points) – On a Legendary map, get a Splatter Spree during any ranked or social match.

As folks have seen, these aren’t the only achievements we’re adding. But without proper context, there’s not a whole lot else we’re going to say. Stay tuned.

Title Update 2

Like we’ve said previously, there’s a bunch of under-the-hood changes in TU2 that will be largely invisible to players. Things like rare occurrences of crashes, server-side support for data collection, making more data available and consumable for internal use – you know, the sort of bullet points that warm engineering loins and sing the rest of us a lullaby.

There are also some “peace of mind” changes that should improve player experiences online in Halo 3. We’ve done a bunch of work to increase our ability to detect cheating. The numbers of bans on the banhammer threads ebb and flow, but not a day goes by sans bans. These changes will make that science even more exact than it already is.

Title Update 2 will also introduce a brand new type of ban. This is one Shishka and I are super excited for. It’s harsh, it’s metered fairly and most of all, when it hits you, it hurts so bad. This new spike on the banhammer will soon drip wet with the blood of jerks and the innards of sinners.

Another thing we’d file under the “peace of mind” changes portion of TU2 is that we’ll be taking a much closer look at habitual quitters and their contribution to the Halo 3 population. It’s no secret that players quitting out of a game makes a suboptimal experience for those left behind, from black screen host migrations, to the general sour-taste losing while down-a-man actually leaves. For the purposes of this week’s update, this isn’t a “don’t quit or you’ll be banned” threat – but instead, a courteous notification that this is something we’re investigating and intend to continue investigating in the coming months.

The most visible change coming to Halo 3 in TU2 is the in-game addition of Playlist Ratings. We’ve talked about Playlist Ratings before, but here’s a quick recap:

* Playlist Ratings are the playlist-level decoupling of Trueskill values (the in-game number next to your name) from Experience (the icon next to your name).
* You will now have a separate military rating (based purely on EXP) in each playlist. When TU2 goes live, everyone will begin at 0 EXP. This means that being a General in a Playlist is based on how many games you’ve won in the Playlist, not based on the Trueskill number next to your name.
* Your Trueskill values have not been reset. If someone checks your Service Record they will still see your Highest Skill.

Assemble

Twenty-seven teams walked away from last week's Penny Arcade Expo Recon Challenge with victory in their eyes, songs in their hearts and some new armor for their Spartans. Over the course of the weekend various teams waited in line to face one of these Bungie duos: Shishka and Luke, Tung and Timmins and Tung and Lars.

Frequent podcast listeners may recall Joe Tung claiming he was the best player at the studio, with Timmins right behind him. While the bragging works well on the air, in reality it was Shishka and I who had the highest win percentage over the weekend. Team Tung and Timmins, believed by themselves to be the two best players at the studio actually had the worst winning percentage of any of the pairs. Tung even had the gall to predict "no Recon on my watch", quickly followed by a three game losing streak.

Evaluate that as you see fit.

More Questions than Answers

Jew man man asks: When is Assembly going to be released?

As we said last week, there is currently no release plan for Assembly. When we know, we’ll let you guys know. Notice how this summer we haven’t done too much tantalizing or teasing or talking about anything we’re working on? It certainly wouldn’t seem too fair to do too much of that when we don’t know how or when things will eventually surface. Moonbase Alpha hasn’t gone anywhere.

MRsnipe75 bleats: When are the Legendary Maps going to be free?

We have not been informed of any plans to make the Legendary Map pack free. Scoop it up.

Ultramarine 360 wonders: Can we have some pictures of Assembly, I didn’t go to PAX.

Last week’s Weekly Update has what you’re looking for.

BrightScorpion is deeply concerned: What’s the reason why rocket race is going to be retired. Will it ever come back? Can we do anything to stop it from retiring?

Rocket Race had a great run. Plenty of folks enjoyed it throughout its lifespan, but the declining population and number of folks who weren’t playing the game properly moves this playlist off into the sunset. That said, it will receive a fond farewell via a Double EXP weekend and is sure to pop up again from time to time.

No, you cannot stop this retirement from occurring.

RIGGS has a burning inquiry: The final word on the beta tripmine debate , will it return or won't it, I'd like to know either way so we can put this baby to bed.

Nope. Tuck it in, leave the pacifier by the bed post.

Duardo is pressing : Any chance of a Blood Gulch remake?

None.

Spartan 267255 says: Are the AU2 ranks such as Colonel and General going to look different than the ones we have now?

Yes, the new Playlist Ratings do look different. They have a noticeably different color treatment applied to them.

Dirtbag_504 posits: Is it true you and Shishka totally embarrassed Walshy from MLG at PAX?

Yes, it’s true.

Kibbles

:lol

BungieInvitational.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I still maintain that the version of Halo 3 we've been playing for a year will never have more than 1250 achievement points.

Any additional achievements will have to come from a new retail SKU. Most likely the rumored release that will include all the DLC multiplayer maps, for those peeps that don't have Live.

Kibbles

GDJustin said:
I still maintain that the version of Halo 3 we've been playing for a year will never have more than 1250 achievement points.

Any additional achievements will have to come from a new retail SKU. Most likely the rumored release that will include all the DLC multiplayer maps, for those peeps that don't have Live.

In the update he clearly states there will be more achievements. Those achievements in the update add up to 250, and it states that more will be revealed later. So everything we saw was real. There will be 750points. Suck it up.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
LukeSmith said:
In case it wasn't clear. It is a private, Bungie-only golf outing.

Hmm, Epic made a Gears of War Golf game for internal use only just a little while before Gears of War 2 was announced.

DUN DUNNNNN

update said:
number of folks who weren’t playing the game properly

well that's because there's ridiculous maps like rat's nest in there, where people get flipped over and can't get back in because the enemy keeps rocketing their goose in close quarters.

update said:
the declining population

again, i think alot of people didn't play it because of the weird maps put in there, like rat's nest, and earlier snowbound and isolation, that really pop up far too often.

plus, is the rocket race population really detracting from the rest of the population? i know i don't have the statistics like bungie does, but i'd imagine that the players who jump into it are tired of playing actual halo and and of all the shooting and just want to cool off. i think it might actually keep people on the game because instead of getting off the game they just play rocket race to take a break for a bit and then they go back to the other playlists later. plus i know personally many people who don't normally play the game but get on to play rocket race

i'm pretty sad that bungie isn't taking the time to try and do something about these issues and instead just takes the easy way out and removes it. why did bungie fight tooth and nail to save ranked btb and they aren't doing that for rocket race, a beloved playlist that is a shining example of why halo is so unique?

GhaleonEB

Kibbles said:
In the update he clearly states there will be more achievements. Those achievements in the update add up to 250, and it states that more will be revealed later. So everything we saw was real. There will be 750points. Suck it up.
Yup, this means there has to be a policy change. They list 10 new ones, and that's the current limit.

Like, OMG. Ghaleowned. One of those times when I just fuckin' love being wrong.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
Yup, this means there has to be a policy change. They list 10 new ones, and that's the current limit.

:lol Forgot about that. I'll gladly accept the crow.

GhaleonEB said:
I got the height set to 117 pixels and everything.

117? SuperIntendent is Master Chief's life as a golfer confirmed.

Chinner

Banned
Kibbles said:
This is what I said shortly after the update, but watch out for Domino Theory; He has this really compelling argument where he types in caps
halolex9.gif

alisdair

GhaleonEB said:
They could have an entirely new set of achievements by creating a new, modified disc release. Halo 3: Mythic Edition, for example.

GDJustin

GhaleonEB said:

I didn't read the update that way at all. I'm not trying to keep arguing the point out of stubbornness... lord knows I've been wrong before. I just didn't take their further hinting the same way you and Kibbles did.

If anything, the weekly update this week does MORE to confirm my hypothesis. If they're announcing some of the new achievements officially today, why not the rest? Why formally reveal 10 of them for 250?

All they'd have to do is reveal 11 achievements for 275, and then you'd know for sure, yeah? You don't find it odd that the number of achievements they're revealing today equal the total number any dev is allowed to add to their title post-release?

Apparently you all think I'm an "asshole" for arguing an alternative hypothesis in this topic, so I'm not going to belabor the point. But I'm actually more confident now that there's some kind of new retail release coming than I was before. Why else wouldn't they just talk about more of the achievements?

To me, the fact that we got 250 today tells me that a bigger announcement is forthcoming - something not appropriate for a weekly update.

Sai-kun

Banned
Chinner said:
This is what I said shortly after the update, but watch out for Domino Theory; He has this really compelling argument where he types in caps
halolex9.gif

he is always right about everything though!

GDJustin

Seems obvious to me they're only confirming 10 of the achievements, because the rest are from a new SKU :D They can't exactly announce a new Halo retail release in a weekly update thread. They don't even have control over the timing of those announcements... MS does.

Kibbles

^ Same thing happened with the Legendary Map Pack, it had to be formally announced by MS. MS will be formally announcing this next upcoming map pack at a later date, and they are waiting for that.
GDJustin said:
I didn't read the update that way at all. I'm not trying to keep arguing the point out of stubbornness... lord knows I've been wrong before. I just didn't take their further hinting the same way you and Kibbles did.

If anything, the weekly update this week does MORE to confirm my hypothesis. If they're announcing some of the new achievements officially today, why not the rest? Why formally reveal 10 of them for 250?

All they'd have to do is reveal 11 achievements for 275, and then you'd know for sure, yeah? You don't find it odd that the number of achievements they're revealing today equal the total number any dev is allowed to add to their title post-release?

Apparently you all think I'm an "asshole" for arguing an alternative hypothesis in this topic, so I'm not going to belabor the point. But I'm actually more confident now that there's some kind of new retail release coming than I was before. Why else wouldn't they just talk about more of the achievements?

To me, the fact that we got 250 today tells me that a bigger announcement is forthcoming - something not appropriate for a weekly update.

Because the rest of the achievements give away names of unannounced maps. They are not yet ready to announce these maps.

*cough* Assembly Citadel Heretic Longshore Orbital Sandbox *cough*

GDJustin

Kibbles said:
^ Same thing happened with the Legendary Map Pack, it had to be formally announced by MS. MS will be formally announcing this next upcoming map pack at a later date, and they are waiting for that.

Because the rest of the achievements give away names of unannounced maps. They are not yet ready to announce these maps.

The update says the other achievements require "context" ...

HugBasket

Banned
Got off my ban an hour ago.

Good games earlier, I'll definitely will be posting/playing more now. <3

Also, social HaloGAF, my hair:

IMG_1091.jpg

Sai-kun

Banned
Prvt.Pegleg said:

IMG_1091.jpg

I'll take a picture of my hair later.

:> Welcome back!

GhaleonEB

GDJustin said:
The update says the other achievements require "context" ...
It could go either way. That context could be a new retail release, or any number of possibilities.

I don't know what to believe any more.

I need to be held.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Prvt.Pegleg said:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/PrvtPegleg/IMG_1091.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Umm, are you slatering?

Falagard

GDJustin said:
Seems obvious to me they're only confirming 10 of the achievements, because the rest are from a new SKU :D They can't exactly announce a new Halo retail release in a weekly update thread. They don't even have control over the timing of those announcements... MS does.

I'm just repeating what has already been said over and over, but here it goes again:

I think it's pretty clear that there's new DLC (hello Assembly and Moonbase Alpha), but not necessarily a new SKU.

There have been two DLCs that cost money so far - Heroic and Legendary map packs. They didn't make use of the extra achievements available for those DLC packs. Those are the facts.

A lot of people are thinking that they're now going to take advantage of those achievement points and release them in the AU2. That adds up to 500 potential achievement points. There was also the free cold storage map - I have no idea how that fits in. Can 250 points be attached to it as well? Is there a precident for that?

Since the achievements that were leaked actually added to 750 achievement points, another thing people are thinking is that the final 250 points are going to be introduced with a 3rd map pack. Since we know that there's at least another two confirmed maps, it's reasonable to assume there will be a 3rd DLC map pack. Whether you pay must pay for it or not is completely unknown.

What seems obvious to you is also conjecture, just like the above statements. It could be possible. It could DLC and not a new SKU. Neither of which are "obvious", they're both just "possible".

Dirtbag

Prvt.Pegleg said:

YIKES.gif

want to borrow some of my hair? I've got plenty to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom