• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Is there a reason this thread isn't stickied? I'm guessing there was a reason posted that I was too lazy to search for.

Will news updates be posted at the top of the OP or what?

I don't think it needs to be stickied, to be honest. Too early.

Besides, it's going to be bumped like crazy.

Because of posts like this. :p

Eric WK

Scullibundo said:
Is there a reason this thread isn't stickied? I'm guessing there was a reason posted that I was too lazy to search for.

It'll be stickied a week or so before the 25th, I'd imagine.

And it will be de facto stickied from now on anyway, so I don't think it makes a difference.

chriskun

Scullibundo said:

Bite your tongue wretch!!!!!!!!!

Darkman M

I preordered my Legendary Edition November 7 2006, the same day i picked up my gears of war collectors edition,doesn't seem that long ago at all, funny how time flies. The legendary edition was actually $99 when i put my $25 down on it, i was kinda upset when they announced that the price was gonna be $129.99 and contemplated on just going for the collectors edition, but i never did and I'm glad i didn't :D heck you only live once.

Eric WK

Darkman M said:
I preordered my Legendary Edition November 7 2006, the same day i picked up my gears of war collectors edition,doesn't seem that long ago at all, funny how time flies. The legendary edition was actually $99 when i put my $25 down on it, i was kinda upset when they announced that the price was gonna be $129.99 and contemplated on just going for the collectors edition, but i never did and I'm glad i didn't :D heck you only live once.

I have 30 bucks down on my Legendary preorder but I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford it. May be dropping to Regular or Collector's. :(

Darkman M

Eric WK said:
I have 30 bucks down on my Legendary preorder but I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford it. May be dropping to Regular or Collector's. :(

That sucks, but at least you'll be able to experience the 9/25/07 madness, what really counts.

soco

SNUG REVOL said:
Meh...I want that hard cover book.

yeah i do too. i may downgrade as i think i'd rather have that than the other stuff. digital form isn't as cool. was under the impression that cost of entry for legendary got you everything :(

zam

Eric WK said:
I agree with almost all of those sentiments. COD4 is great, but to me it just lacks the soul that Halo has.
Yeah, it's fun, but not that much variety. There's around 3-5 different gametypes (depending on if CTF and Headquarters is in the final game) and you can't customise those at all. I Halo 2 you had around seven gametypes, and a huge number of different variants (CTF, 1 Flag CTF, Neutral Flag etc) and you can customise any way you want. Let the flag carrier be invisible, run really fast, run really slow, be able to drive vehicles and so on.

The variety in gametypes and the customisation was what kept me playing Halo 2 multiplayer so long. And now Halo 3 is looking to have even more customisation options, gravity, player speed and all that jazz. And with Forge, Saved Films, online co-op, campaign scoring it's just mind blowing how much there is to do..

Tieno

Killer said:
I wonder what will happen if they gave it an 8.0?

hint: INTERNETZ FAILURE.
As far as game reviewers go the opinion (not score) I was most interested to hear about was Luke's (well before he left 1up for Bungie) as he's a hardcore Halo fan and really knows Halo. Next up is Mark McDonald. Being a fan myself, I want to know what a fan honestly thinks.

Eric WK

Killer said:
I wonder what will happen if they gave it an 8.0?

hint: INTERNETZ FAILURE.

It'll be a 9.5 or 10. There's zero reason to suspect otherwise. I was just joking about the 100 pages in an hour thing.

von zipp

I've been playing and enjoying computer games since I was about 5, when my Dad bought me and my older brother a ColecoVision in 1985(which I still have, and still works). During this time I've had the chance to play many games, on many different systems. Some games were awesome, others not so much.

I would have to say though that this is the first time I have had a full on fanboy moment for any game. And seeing the OP for this thread just kicked it up a little.

Can.Not.Wait.For.Halo.Awesome.

- von.

Killer

Banned
Tieno said:
As far as game reviewers go the opinion I was most interested to hear about was Luke's (well before he left 1up for Bungie) as he's a hardcore Halo fan and really knows Halo. Next up is Mark McDonald. Being a fan myself, I want to know what a fan honestly thinks.
I wouldn't read a review from a fan, he will get biased at some point.

Eric WK said:
It'll be a 9.5 or 10. There's zero reason to suspect otherwise. I was just joking about the 100 pages in an hour thing.

Bioshock. Anyone?

guidop

gray_fox224 said:
Great thread!

Is anyone excited for the calibration disk? Fuck the Cortana interviews and et cetra, I WANT THAT DISC

Was the tipping point on getting the Legendary edition for me. Gunna make halo 3 look so SEXCEY

After Gamespot's 9.0 of Bioshock I don't believe in nuthin' no more!

But seriously, Halo 3 10.0. Ban bets anyone?

Please don't call my bluff

FightyF

Banned
zam said:
Yeah, it's fun, but not that much variety. There's around 3-5 different gametypes (depending on if CTF and Headquarters is in the final game) and you can't customise those at all. I Halo 2 you had around seven gametypes, and a huge number of different variants (CTF, 1 Flag CTF, Neutral Flag etc) and you can customise any way you want. Let the flag carrier be invisible, run really fast, run really slow, be able to drive vehicles and so on.

The variety in gametypes and the customisation was what kept me playing Halo 2 multiplayer so long. And now Halo 3 is looking to have even more customisation options, gravity, player speed and all that jazz. And with Forge, Saved Films, online co-op, campaign scoring it's just mind blowing how much there is to do..

Gravity and player speed?! OMG!!

I used to play a "Halostrike" mode, which was like Counterstrike. No shields, human weapons, and 1 life.

With Forge, I can add even more crates to give it even more CS authenticity!

pringles

guidop said:
Was the tipping point on getting the Legendary edition for me. Gunna make halo 3 look so SEXCEY
But isn't that in the Limited as well?
The Halo:Ce + Halo 2 cutscenes with commentaries were actually what made me finally go with the Legendary.

About review scores, how the hell will reviewers be able to justify a score below 9.0? I'm anticipating 9.5-10.0 across the board.

gray_fox224 said:
Great thread!

Is anyone excited for the calibration disk? Fuck the Cortana interviews and et cetra, I WANT THAT DISC
ill wait until the avs forums test it out, right now dve is all i need

pringles said:
About review scores, how the hell will reviewers be able to justify a score below 9.0? I'm anticipating 9.5-10.0 across the board.
Weeeell, there's a lot that can go wrong, and many people simply don't like Halo. I actually have close to zero interest in review scores for this game (unless it starts getting, phew, I dunno ... 5s and 6s?). For me, and I imagine for a lot of others, it was one of those very special 'day one purchase confirmed' titles before it was ever announced.

zam

FightyF said:
Gravity and player speed?! OMG!!

I used to play a "Halostrike" mode, which was like Counterstrike. No shields, human weapons, and 1 life.

With Forge, I can add even more crates to give it even more CS authenticity!
Yeah, in the custom games in the beta, we upped the player speed to max and set the gravity on low (so you jump really really high) and zipped around with swords, jumping high in the air trying to hit each other. Awesomeness.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
20 days to wait in Euroland... I dunno whether to try and book the day off work. The rest of the week, for that matter.

I'm close to pants soilage here. Great OP too...

LukeSmith

Tieno said:
As far as game reviewers go the opinion (not score) I was most interested to hear about was Luke's (well before he left 1up for Bungie) as he's a hardcore Halo fan and really knows Halo. Next up is Mark McDonald. Being a fan myself, I want to know what a fan honestly thinks.

I'd happily still tell you what I honestly thought, you just wouldn't believe me, that's all, Tieno.

gray_fox224

Thank the lord that school starts on the 27th. Two days of glorious co-op and multiplayer added to a new t.v. and what you have is a undergrad who will probably miss his first class of the quarter:D

luke, im interested in your honest opinion of the game

also would you recommend using the calibration tool if one has used DVE to calibrate their tv already?

gray_fox224

GodfatherX said:
im interested in your honest opinion of the game

also would you recommend using the calibration tool if one has used DVE to calibrate their tv already?

yes, I would like to know this as well

In eight days I move to England to do my Masters.

I have debated long and hard as to whether I should leave the 360 at home. That would be the sensible, responsible thing to do: it is a Masters course after all, and I should be dedicating all of my time and effort to it. It would also be the practical thing to do: bringing the 360 and all its paraphernalia, and more importantly the widescreen monitor to play it on, is both awkward and expensive; Internet is currently not set up in my house, and may not be for several weeks after I arrive, and even then I will be sharing the bandwidth with three housemates; having more expensive equipment lying around in my (pretty small ground floor) room is an increased security risk in a house that only has one lock on the front door and no alarm.

There are more games coming out in the next three months or so than I have ever wanted to purchase in such a short period before (Orange Box, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, others), and even their cumulative importance to me is not enough to convince me to bring the 360 ... but then there's Halo 3.

Goddamn you, Bungie.

Tieno

LukeSmith said:
I'd happily still tell you what I honestly thought, you just wouldn't believe me, that's all, Tieno.
I think it's more that I shouldn't expect a public review of your own work at this point. Even though I'd probably believe it, your position now is even more different than mine, being an outsider/fan. You still want that 3rd party, a reviewer that shares similar tatstes or a fellow fan.

Shake Appeal said:
It's off topic, but where are you going?

On topic... I have a 40" HDTV and 360 elite ready to be purchased to go with my pre-order of the cat helmet edition of this. BRING IT ON! :D

LukeSmith

GodfatherX said:

RE: TV
I'm colorblind and obsess over my PQ, which is totally stupid, because I'm colorblind. I basically sit at my set and sort of arbitrarily decide what looks good and what doesn't.

Personally, I used the DVE calibration tool on my home television and I was really happy with the results. If you've had your TV calibrated and are happy with how it looks, then maybe don't use it--or note the settings and try it out and reset it back if you preferred the former. Frankie's the real AV master 'round the Bungie parts, so he'll probably weigh in on this soon.

Re: The game, I'm waiting to say much of anything until you guys have had a chance to play it, but like I've enthused in the BWU's before, I think it's pretty special, I've played through it countless times and I'll probably play through it at least triple as many times as I already have when my various e- and real life friends get the game.

I love the Halo games, and Halo 3 is far and away the best of the bunch.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Shake Appeal said:

Where are you studying...

...and you should bring the 360, get a temporary cheapo monitor. You gotta have a little fun, right?

*nods sagely*

Orodreth said:
A younger friend of mine was there last year. Really nice town and parties.
Yeah, what I've seen of it seems nice, I just wish Halo 3 had been delayed until next July/August.

(Don't kill me, thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom