• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Sibylus

Banned
Some fond memories:

2hcnn0m.gif

207qp2g.gif

f1e2k2.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Playing DA in Versus yesterday I discovered something. On DA4 (The Terminal), when survivors first start the van crescendo, Hunters can pounce the survivors by the gate from the ceiling areas. Pounce into the van as it moves towards the survivors, and you'll be able to "surf" across the van and redirect your pounce into a human as he huddles by the gate. I unintentionally got a 17 damage pounce in this way, starting from a ledge close to the ceiling.

Botolf said:
Some fond memories:

2hcnn0m.gif

207qp2g.gif

f1e2k2.gif

I think I see how that freak jump kill worked on Ezekial. If you look at the start of the .gif, it looks like ez got pushed back from someone getting pounced, and you pounced him from the push. That's how the suicide deathpull+pounce works on NM4, too.

Nabs

Botolf said:
Playing DA in Versus yesterday I discovered something. On DA4 (The Terminal), when survivors first start the van crescendo, Hunters can pounce the survivors by the gate from the ceiling areas. Pounce into the van as it moves towards the survivors, and you'll be able to "surf" across the van and redirect your pounce into a human as he huddles by the gate. I unintentionally got a 17 damage pounce in this way, starting from a ledge close to the ceiling.

just happened in our last game. stallion just pulled it off

Remfin

Red Scarlet said:
I think I see how that freak jump kill worked on Ezekial. If you look at the start of the .gif, it looks like ez got pushed back from someone getting pounced, and you pounced him from the push. That's how the suicide deathpull+pounce works on NM4, too.
IIRC it was just the one hunter who did that. I'm pretty sure if you jump off that as a Survivor you get an extra bit of distance too that you shouldn't get, so there's some kind of momentum bug going off that ledge anyway.

The best part was every single game we had after that involved like 3 hunters waiting down there trying to repeat it :lol

Might as well repost since the sequel is out. This is for anyone who is still played this. Don't really want to play with randoms anymore, since I had the misfortune of someone with a NSFW spraypaint (don't want boobies getting in the way of my zombie dismembering, my grandma might freak)

How About No said:
Who isn't jumping on the L4D2 bandwagon quite right away? I've promised myself I wouldn't buy it for a few more months, since I still believe I haven't played this as much I would have liked. It may also be hard for me to find nice people to play with. Anyone interested in some games at night for the rest of this year?

PC version
Have Mic,
am shy
Interested mostly in Advanced or Expert Campaign, don't really like Versus
Survival might be cool

I am

Probably good at following orders
Will not try to shoot Witch, but
May be temped to meelee Tank

Available 7-10PM central time
Steam ID- Ekamp_008
So ronrey ;_;

EDIT If no is interested by tomorrow morning I'm going to fuck it and buy L4D2 =p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
Good game tonight :lol

Yes, I posted this in the right thread. We played some L4D1 and it was fucking glorious.

God L4D1 VS puts L4D2 VS to shame. Gaf you better re-install L4D1, that shit is legit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok so we just played a game of VS and we had 4 quadcaps happen. Holy shit. Two for each team. Can those even happen in L4D2? Play L4D1 VS with us more often plz.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Ok so we just played a game of VS and we had 4 quadcaps happen. Holy shit. Two for each team. Can those even happen in L4D2? Play L4D1 VS with us more often plz.

:lol

We suck so fucking bad at deadstopping and skeeting in an actual game. D:

I like how you guys were 100% prepared for our quad cap attempt and still failed to deadstop a single hunter :lol

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
L4D1 Defense Force assemble!

Until boomer spawns are fixed, I'm thinking L4D1 will remain the better game for VS.
yeah totally there should be at least two boomers at any given time

Volcynika

vertopci said:
L4D1 Defense Force assemble!

Until boomer spawns are fixed, I'm thinking L4D1 will remain the better game for VS.

I also hope Valve is able to break the idea of probability. Because math is for suckers.

vertopci

Yea because getting your first boomer when half the map is done is really a fucking good idea. The spawns in L4D2 are shit. Fact

Volcynika

vertopci said:
Yea because getting your first boomer when half the map is done is really a fucking good idea. The spawns in L4D2 are shit. Fact

Wrong. You're too used to the Boomer because the SI were limited in L4D1. Time to think up some new strategies with the 3 extra SI. It's not broken just because you don't get the SI you want when you want it.

vertopci

Volcynika said:
Wrong. You're too used to the Boomer because the SI were limited in L4D1. Time to think up some new strategies with the 3 extra SI. It's not broken just because you don't get the SI you want when you want it.

Maybe it would be fine the hunter and smoker weren't nerfed. But as it stands now, the spawns are shit.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I agree boomer should spawn more than hunter, which I feel is the worst SI right now, but the boomer shouldn't be the pivotal SI to your Infected strategy
it should be the spitter...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ahoyhoy said:
I agree boomer should spawn more than hunter, which I feel is the worst SI right now, but the boomer shouldn't be the pivotal SI to your Infected strategy
it should be the spitter...

Nah sorry we already discussed spitter in the l4d2 thread and decided it is nowhere near as effective and usually pretty useless now that everyone is somewhat accustomed to the campaigns (as in they can move through them quickly).

vertopci

1-D_FTW said:
Don't you guys play with the same core every night? Just set it to Advanced and be done with it.

Yea because nobody has ever thought of doing that. You're a god damn genius. As well as a ragequitter.

After growing somewhat tired of the sequel, I too returned to L4D1 recently. Had some of the most nail biting VS matches of my life and will probably divert most of my game-time there until they fix L4D2.

vertopci

marvelharvey said:
After growing somewhat tired of the sequel, I too returned to L4D1 recently. Had some of the most nail biting VS matches of my life and will probably divert most of my game-time there until they fix L4D2.

Another L4D1 Defense Force member!

Twig

Banned
Nabs said:
oh look, volc & twig right on time.
OH LOOK THE BANANA RIDERS ROLL IN

ps remember when i totally called you (not you nabs) wanting to mod l4d2 versus and you said NO IT'S WONDERFUL NO MODS ARE NEEDED I WON'T HATE IT and then you came back here and talked about how shitty l4d2 versus was and then i called you out on it

that was a good time

Volcynika said:
You can't be sure of that though. Unless you've got some nice strategies you've been holding out on.

What exactly do you mean by "don't get the SI", what is there not to get?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
marvelharvey said:

Do play with us. We would appreciate it soo much.

Volcynika

PillowKnight said:
You can't be sure of that though. Unless you've got some nice strategies you've been holding out on.

What exactly do you mean by "don't get the SI", what is there not to get?

Uh. Whole quote there plz

"you don't get the SI you want"

That means you don't spawn as the one you feel the team wants/needs

"You can't be sure of that though. Unless you've got some nice strategies you've been holding out on."

L4D1 has been out over a year. L4D2 has been out around 3 weeks. Of course the strategies from L4D1 are going to be easier to use, there's been a lot more time to refine them and figure them out.

vertopci

Volcynika said:

"You can't be sure of that though. Unless you've got some nice strategies you've been holding out on."

L4D1 has been out over a year. L4D2 has been out around 3 weeks. Of course the strategies from L4D1 are going to be easier to use, there's been a lot more time to refine them and figure them out.

There also wasn't a competitive community present when L4D1 came out. There is with L4D2 and the majority agree with me that spawns need fixing. Along with the scoring.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
There also wasn't a competitive community present when L4D1 came out. There is with L4D2 and the majority agree with me that spawns need fixing. Along with the scoring.
the majority are also used to l4d1

and they're also apparently just as brick-wall stubborn as you

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:
the majority are also used to l4d1

and they're also apparently just as brick-wall stubborn as you

Why are you even here? :/ You admitted yourself you suck at versus so you really can't say anything about versus.

Is this is your way of showing you love me or something?

Volcynika said:

Yeah, I said the same thing in an earlier conversation. Point was that you can't be sure that it isn't unbalanced until those strategies are created. I can't conceive any at this point, which is why i'm skeptical. The current l4d2 meta game revolves around insta kills, partly because of kits and defibs, partly because the infected have very few effective ways to deal damage. We'll see how it evolves though.

Playing l4d again tonight was really interesting, and it shed light on why im not feeling l4d2 versus. That being, lack of hunters(they're so much fun to play and play against) and the lack of quad caps. Quad incaps are just so nerve wreckingly exciting for both sides; on one hand you have the near perfect timing required by everyone on the team, and on the other side the crazyness of seeing three hunters simultaneously coming at you--knowing that if you miss that one melee you're done. Moreover this is a point of actual strategy in l4d, ie choosing to try a quad incap or not.

At this point, albeit with a cursory glance, it seems that valve spent more time sprucing up the coop part of l4d and left versus behind.

Also to commemorate l4d quad incap awesome-ness :
l4d_vs_smalltown04_mainstreet000-1.jpg
Both teams got wiped on the same spot.

vertopci said:
I still can't believe you guys missed every single god damn deadstop on us :lol
I choked, the real smart thing to do was to step back and let the other two get pounced, then melee em off. Specially with my bad consistency with deadstops.

vertopci

GG tonight. Except the ending. You fucks could have won easily but instead you just gave up on the finale. well panda gave up I guess :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
GG tonight. Except the ending. You fucks could have won easily but instead you just gave up on the finale. well panda gave up I guess :/

Panda is a whore for those 200 points. It was still a blast even with that finale failure though. GGs kids.

Top Bottom