• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Because you would have done the same for me <3

GG tonight btw, I've only played like 40 hours of L4D1 compared to the multi-zillion you guys have, but I feel that my non-hunter/tank roles aided the team nicely. The game is certainly a lot more tense than L4D2, cause you can go from a fresh team to 3 people pinned in the blink of an eye.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dogenzaka said:
Wow just wow.

No. Not at all.

L4D focused more on hunter/smoker packs though.

C'mon man, back the argument up. I can only think of two spots where it sucks to be the infected team, one being the Dead Air finale. Compare that to L4D2, where there is at least one incredibly terrible place per campaign and it is no contest.

From a VS. perspective, the maps in L4D1 are better.

I will admit that I do sometimes miss melee, though.

Dogenzaka

Banned
morningbus said:
C'mon man, back the argument up. I can only think of two spots where it sucks to be the infected team, one being the Dead Air finale. Compare that to L4D2, where there is at least one incredibly terrible place per campaign and it is no contest.

From a VS. perspective, the maps in L4D1 are better.

I will admit that I do sometimes miss melee, though.

One of L4D2's strongpoints was fixing stupid level design decisions from L4D1 that ended up favoring the survivors with their corner camping and other things.

Plus campaigns like Dark Carnival and Dead Center are just more interesting to me than any of the campaigns from L4D1.

I feel like the zombie hordes are substantially more brutal in L4D1 too. My main gripe with Boomer in L4D2 is you can get a perfect 4 person boom and then, *crickets*, nothing comes. In L4D1 you either have to use a pipe or hold up in a door and take them down. Melee sometimes completely trivializes the common infected and I prefer that it takes a whole team focus firing down a corridor to subdue a horde than one guy with a melee weapon in a doorway.

morningbus

Dogenzaka said:
One of L4D2's strongpoints was fixing stupid level design decisions from L4D1 that ended up favoring the survivors with their corner camping and other things.

Plus campaigns like Dark Carnival and Dead Center are just more interesting to me than any of the campaigns from L4D1.

I'll agree that L4D2's maps are more varied, but that the point is kind of moot. I've played these maps at least a few hundred times, so they've all lost that original luster for me.

The only good things L4D2 did to fight against corner camping was add the Spitter and add rolling crescendos (provided they even work properly). However, they also added large, open areas and far less usable, high structures. These changes alone diminish the effectiveness of the boomer and practically neuter the hunter.

You could seriously just add the Spitter into L4D1 and that would almost entirely resolve the majority of corner camping.

Nabs

they completely neutered the hunter in l4d2. it feels great to wall jump a bit, climb up high and spy on your victims before attacking. you really can't do that in l4d2. i think it would be a much better game with less restrictions (mainly invis. walls).

still love both games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, don't get the wrong idea, our group plays the shit out of both games and we all love both games. I know for a fact that the Steam hours didn't even keep track of time properly, but I still have 200+ in L4D1 and 150+ and counting in L4D2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SundaySounds said:
Idk why you guys wouldn't leave me alone that first map. I feel like I went from 100 to 0 in a minute. :(

We do it out of love... and then it became our goal as you saw in the finale :lol

I wasn't intentionally throwing rocks at you as the first tank... they just happened to all hit you.

Stallion Free said:
We do it out of love... and then it became our goal as you saw in the finale :lol

I wasn't intentionally throwing rocks at you as the first tank... they just happened to all hit you.

lol, I was convinced panda was tank. He's a damn sniper with those rocks.

Just had a great game with some guys I doin't remember the usernames to check if it's someone from here.

Anyway, any thing new coming to l4d1?

xero273

ChackanKun said:
Just had a great game with some guys I doin't remember the usernames to check if it's someone from here.

Anyway, any thing new coming to l4d1?

L4D DLC will be released that details what happened before The Passing.

RoboManus

Neo Member
Running into a group of fun players who don't take the game 100% seriously is the best thing that could happen when you face nothing but hardcore pub stompers all day, it doesn't matter if you lose when everyone is laughing.

morningbus

Sorry anyone looking to jump into some l4d1 fun: like the impotent sour-sacks we are, we just couldn't manage to muster a game in time!

Perhaps soon, though!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nabs said:
they completely neutered the hunter in l4d2. it feels great to wall jump a bit, climb up high and spy on your victims before attacking. you really can't do that in l4d2. i think it would be a much better game with less restrictions (mainly invis. walls).

still love both games.

I play on a modded server with space jump on and the sheer amount of invisible walls kills though I've never manged to get stuck outside the map. Pretty good design, if a bit restrictive.

Stallion Free said:
I Hate Mountains was fucking fantastic. Absolutely stunning environments. It seemed really nicely balanced for Advanced.
Just finished this a few minutes ago. Definitely one of the better custom camps and the Tank AI desperately needs to be patched.

Sibylus

Banned
So I Hate Mountains is pretty fantastic.

Red Scarlet said:
Did you guys split up 2 by 2 (forget the level..2?)? They got a Tank, we got every other SI and horde except for 1 boomer.
That was a really fun way to play the level, would do again!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, isn't Silent Hill like that? When I played that, only 2 maps were complete.

No, though the the large amount of clue seeking and exploration in some parts cause it to happen. Its best to stick together.

Volcynika

dark_inferno said:
WOW

Informations about the new DLC comes in August. Announcement of an announcement... i thought Valve is better than Capcom and co.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16343105&postcount=14

It isn't really an announcement of an announcement, though. It's been announced, they didn't share many details at all, and they're just telling us more about it and probably a release window.

EDIT: To be more specific, forum post is not like some press announcement or anything :p

OG Kush

I've started playing this again the past couple of weeks. Still a pretty fun game.
Anyone got any tips for hunter though? ppl jumpin round like crazy with them n shit

Top Bottom