• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Makes me miss old Chicago. We had it all and now we have nothing. Fuck.

Same thing here in NY... we had a pretty big indigenous scene, our own styles of music (tribal hard house)... Armand Van Helden, MAW, Junior Vasquez, Danny Tenaglia, Frankie Bones, not to mention the older disco/post-disco/freestyle guys (Larry Levan of course). But I can't remember anything relevant NY has brought to the EDM world recently. :(

Nyx

Same thing here in NY... we had a pretty big indigenous scene, our own styles of music (tribal hard house)... Armand Van Helden, MAW, Junior Vasquez, Danny Tenaglia, Frankie Bones, not to mention the older disco/post-disco/freestyle guys (Larry Levan of course). But I can't remember anything relevant NY has brought to the EDM world recently. :(

Adultnapper is from Brooklyn. :p

Davidion

Adultnapper is from Brooklyn. :p

Yeah but tech-house has been around for ages, not that I really loved it all that much in the first place.

Mind, I won't say anything bad about Adultnapper/Francis because I used to know the guy from working in the same crew and he was super nice, but the whole tech-house thing burnt me out HARD.

joelseph

NY has a decent scene going still. If you are from Chicago you have to move to either NY or LA make it big. But I understand the point Tiesto is making, the 90s where more friendly and the scenes were much tighter.

okno

NY has a decent scene going still. If you are from Chicago you have to move to either NY or LA make it big. But I understand the point Tiesto is making, the 90s where more friendly and the scenes were much tighter.

Exactly the reason I moved from Chicago to NY :p The scene has recently been picking up a lot of steam again, just when I thought it was about to die off.

Speaking of local guys making great stuff, thought I'd throw out these awesome gents, Chrome Canyons. They're my friend's band, but I saw them for the first time last Friday before going to Fred P and they were the perfect start to the night. Super atmospheric 70s movie-inspired disco. It was as if Moroder himself was on stage, phenomenal act. "Computers of Love" is one of my favorites.

edit: Good to see Capracara getting some more exposure. Definitely one of my favorite recent producers. That's a really solid remix EP.

Shaneus

That reminds me. Found out today that someone who fits in that category is playing Queen's B'day weekend here in Melbourne.

PE7g3.jpg

A mate would prefer to see Guy J, but oh man... FK! Anyone here seen him recently? Good to see live? It's a very small bar/club(ish) gig, so it's not a massive environment with no atmosphere. Kinda pumped.

Divius

Just found out Pitch festival in Amsterdam is coming up again.

HisDZ.png

Really, really liking the line-up for Friday (left collum). I'd love to see The Weeknd, Jaques Greene, Mt Kimbie, SBTRKT and James Blake. Hopefully I will have some cash by then so I can go.

Shaneus

HisDZ.png

Really, really liking the line-up for Friday (left collum). I'd love to see The Weeknd, Jaques Greene, Mt Kimbie, SBTRKT and James Blake. Hopefully I will have some cash by then so I can go.
See Die Antwoord. Seriously. Won't regret it. Not only for the live vocals/antics of Ninja and Vi$$er, but their actual production is surprisingly good. The dub(bro)steppy bit in that vid is different enough from regular brostep to actually be good without being played out and evil sounding. Actually sounds "clean" rather than "angry robot"-like. IMO.

Mr. Oizo's a bit of a cracker live too, and Beardyman would be nothing if not entertaining (after having seen him live on TV a few times).

Davidion

That reminds me. Found out today that someone who fits in that category is playing Queen's B'day weekend here in Melbourne.

A mate would prefer to see Guy J, but oh man... FK! Anyone here seen him recently? Good to see live? It's a very small bar/club(ish) gig, so it's not a massive environment with no atmosphere. Kinda pumped.

FK's reputation is such that as a general rule it's never a bad idea to go see him. His influences are arguably the most avant-garde among the forefathers of NY house and his Monday night deep space parties have been running for years.

Go and have a good time, I know I would.

djtiesto

Shaneus: I heard lately FK has been a bit enthralled with dubstep but your mileage might vary... I saw him at EZ and had a blast, Davidion gives some good reasons why - avant garde and forward thinking selection of music, and lots of experience... though Guy J is also amazing of course.

&Divius: I'd definitely add Mark Pritchard (one half, along with Tom Middleton, of Global Communication), and Emalkay to your list... actually I used to be on a game design message board with Emalkay before he broke out, giving him pointers on his music (he started doing bass-heavy UK garage).

Emalkay eh? I saw him about this time last year. His stuff is on the fringes of Brostep, atleast back then it was. Go see Machine Drum and Kode 9 aswell.

Basically the left side rules.

Shaneus

FK's reputation is such that as a general rule it's never a bad idea to go see him. His influences are arguably the most avant-garde among the forefathers of NY house and his Monday night deep space parties have been running for years.

Go and have a good time, I know I would.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'd figured. I've seen a lot of acts recently, almost all incredible, but it's been a good while since I've come across something that seriously challenged me. Robag Whurme was that guy, I have a feeling FK would be the next (at least, going by his history, word of mouth and what you're saying).

Shaneus: I heard lately FK has been a bit enthralled with dubstep but your mileage might vary... I saw him at EZ and had a blast, Davidion gives some good reasons why - avant garde and forward thinking selection of music, and lots of experience... though Guy J is also amazing of course.
If it's actual dubstep, then I'd definitely be curious seeing him play. I don't really see him playing brostep at all, so I think we might be good on that front :) If I see Guy J I know I won't be disappointed by the gig itself, but moreso knowing that someone who tours once in a blue moon (let alone playing on a night both myself and my friends can make) is playing... yeah, pretty sure it's a no brainer!

To think a few weeks ago, all I knew about that night was that Switch was playing. Then Guy J. And now FK. Damn.

lush

Jacques Greene - Oscillate Mix

Mele - Lovebox Mix
Geeeman - Bang’t
Justin Martin - Ghettos & Gardens
Plastikman - Spastik
Diplo & Laidback Luke - Hey (Sidney Sampson Remix)
Rod Lee - Shake Mama 2002
Armand Van Helden - All Right
Melé - Good Morning Dub
DHS - The House Of God (Melé Re Edit)
Marcel Dettman - Deluge
Major Lazer - Hold Yuh
Cobra Krames - Where The Ladies At
David Morales - Needin U
Pariah - The Slump
Thomas Bangalter - Ventura
Robert Hood - School
MMM - Dex
Aka - Warning (Sunship Remix)
Kano - Nobody Don’t Dance No More
Youngstar - Bumper
Dismantle - Warp
Schlachthofbronx - Chambacu
Baauer - Harlem Shake
Bok Bok - Silo Pass
Spyro - Joseph
Martelo - Midnight Creator Line
Joker - I Think You Should Know Ft Newham Generals
Dread D - Invade
Dismantle - Dots
Asap Rocky - Bass
Melé - Beamer Ft Kano

Bobby Tank - Afterburn(sounds like Rustie+Hudson Mohawke, straight up summer banger, Listen to this one)
Mak & Pasteman - Jungle Juice (Mike G Remix)
Lil Texas- (Aww) Girl It’s True
Chief Keef- Bang (Skywlkr Remix)
Jodeci- Freek N You (TOKiMONSTA Frickinyou Remix)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Total stunner: d'Eon, "Now You Do"

CFCF worked on the mixing for d'Eon's album (out in a week or two). Pretty impressed with what this guy is doing right now, considering his previous output was just a pair of mediocre EPs of keyboard synth wankery.

Shaneus

Blocked at work... is that the Chemical Brothers one?

I remember seeing them live and their set being somewhat underwhelming (though the sound quality may have contributed to that... it was horrible) but to hear Star Guitar evolve from a rendition of Bizarre Love Triangle... oh my fucking god. So good. Shame there's not a proper studio release of it.

okno

Disclosure - Lividup

Ugh, massive. These guys are on fire....

I cannot WAIT for their EP to drop! Such tunes from these guys, christ! Thanks for the Jacque Greene mix, too! Gonna listen to that on the train tomorrow. Also, I thought this line from that Bobby Tank track was super weird and made no sense, but got a laugh from me (note: I am horrendously exhausted, so I may just be reading it wrong):
If you like minimal techno, or indeed minimal anything, you should probably alight here. What Bobby Tank, a young producer from London, does is so crammed with invention, so over-the-top in terms of filling every available millisecond of space with beats and squeaks, shimmering keyboard twirls and pummelling electronic bass riffs, it makes mad maximalists like Rustie and Hudson Mohawke sound like stripped-down Delta bluesmen
. This song is the furthest thing from minimal, and the minimal geek inside of me recoiled in horror at the song at first, but I actually really like it! It's noisy and weird, but it can definitely, if dropped at the right moment, make a place explode. That Mak & Pasteman remix is dooooooooope!

Cosmic Bus said:
Total stunner: d'Eon, "Now You Do"

Hah, weird tune, but I like it. It's so weird to see CFCF being name dropped everywhere. Still always think of him as just a weird guy from Canada on Hipinion making funky italo-disco tracks. Never thought he would get QUITE this huge, but it's inspiring for sure.

Martian

HisDZ.png

Check out Jungle By Night as well. I know some people who are in it, and it's awesome! Laid back. You won't regret it. They have some songs on Youtube as well.

Chaplain

PROFF - Anjunabeats Worldwide 279 (Anjunadeep Edition)

Direct download link off of Proff's soundcloud page

01. Infusion "Daylight Hours" (Thrive Records)
02. Com Truise"Karova" (Ghostly International)
03. Spirit Catcher "Another Dimension" (2020)
04. ID - ID
05. 6th Borough Project "Miss World" [Soultourist Remix] (Delusions Of Grandeur)
06. Above & Beyond "Prelude" [Andrew Bayer & James Grant Remix] (Anjunadeep)
07. Spirit Cather & ID "Human Factor" [PROFF Mash-up] (CDR)
08. Robert Babicz & Infusion & Junkie XL "Dark Legacy" [PROFF Mash-up] (CDR)
09. Common Grounds "To Be Given" [Original Mix] (Re*Brand)
10. Rowan Blades & Chris Lake "Filth" [Original Mix] (Alternative Route Records)
11. Mimo "Break Yourself" [Robert Babicz Remix] (Punx Records)
12. Spiller "Cry Baby" [Jolly Music Thriller Remix] (Positiva)
13. Envotion "Streetwise" [Original Mix] (Electronic Elements)
14. Rasmus Faber ft. Dyanna Fearon "Give it to Me" [Spiritchaser Instrumental Mix] (Farplane)
15. Parker & Hanson "Afterthought" [Soundprank's Deep 04 Mix] (Anjunadeep)
16. Shiloh "Dream On" [Luke Chable Remix] (Baroque)
17. Missy Elliott "Lose Control" [Jacques Lu Cont Vocal Mix] (Atlantic)
18. Davi & M83 & Eric Prydz "Midnight Labyrinth" [PROFF Mash-up] (CDR)
19. Mike Flyer "Sunset Sonata" [PROFF Remix] (Blue Soho)
20. Mat Zo "Synapse Dynamics" (Anjunabeats)
21. Oliver Smith "New Dawn" [Sunny Lax Remix] (Anjunabeats)
22. Lange Pres. LNG "Harmony Will Kick You In The Ass" (Black Hole Recordings)
23. Boom Jinx Feat. Thomas J. Bergersen "Remember September" (Anjunadeep)
24. Bcee feat. Jo-S "Mr. Bidigan" [Total Science Remix] (Spearhead Records)

Jon O'Bir pres. Anjunabeats Worldwide 280

Direct download link off of Jon O'Bir's soundcloud page

1. Pryda "Allein" (Virgin)
2. Mike Duz "Frequency" (Lowbit)
3. Andrew Bayer feat. Molly Bancroft "Keep Your Secrets" (Anjunabeats)
4. Suspect 44 "Neon Feel" (Anjunadeep)
5. Soundprank "Midas" (Anjunadeep)
6. Andrew Bayer & Matt Lange feat. Kerry Leva "In And Out Of Phase" [Norin & Rad Remix] (Anjunabeats)
7. Maarten De Jong "Raw" [SHato & Paul Rockseek Remix] (Vandit)
8. Oceanlab vs. Norin & Rad "Secret Bloom" [Norin & Rad Mash Up] (CDR)
9. Lens "Beyond The Shadows" [Moonbeam Remix] (Coldharbour)
10. Jon O'Bir feat. Julie Harrington "Perfect As You Are" (Liquid)
11. Joonas Hahmo "Sound Of Sunday" (Anjunadeep)
12. Lange feat. Emma Hewitt "Live Forever" [Mat Zo Dub Mix] (Lange)
13. Genix "Aura" (Anjunabeats)
14. Arty vs. First State "The Falling Wonder" [First State Mash Up] (CDR)
15. DJ Feel "24.01.2011" (Infinity)
16. Jon O'Bir "Music Database" (Liquid)
17. Super8 & Tab feat. Jan Burton "Black Is Back" [Club Mix] (Anjunabeats)
18. Rank 1 vs. Jochen Miller vs. John O'Callaghan "The Great Find" [JOC Mash Up] (CDR)
19. Jon O'Bir "Back For More" (Liquid)
20. Oceanlab "Sirens Of The Sea" [Cosmic Gate Remix] (Anjunabeats)
21. Tilt "The World Doesn't Know" [Arty Remix] (Lost Language)
22. Above & Beyond feat. Richard Bedford "On My Way To Heaven" [Above & Beyond Club Mix] (Anjunabeats)

lush

FACT mix 331: Daedelus
1st of the Month – Bone Thugs and Harmony
Crew – Mono/poly
Act Stupid – BoeBoe
HighrGravity – Swarvy
Maven – Lil Jabba
Electric Relaxation – A Tribe Called Quest
Bounce Bang – Dj Deeon
Hard 2 Be – Machinedrum
Kaychunk – Kyle Hall
The Art Of Murder – Jonwayne
Clotting – Deft
Cybo – Bobby Tank
Dance 4 U (Kiff Remix) – Kiff The Producer
Veridis Quo – Daft Punk
My Time – Ann Steel
Curtains Don’t Talk (Daedelus Pacific Juke) – Janet Jackson / Beach Boys
Weight on the Moon (Dntel remix) – Adventure Time
Shift – Gumar
Sippin – Bames
Imagine3 – LDFD
Lyposuct – D.I.M. & Tai
Positif – Mr. Oizo
Palm Shade Tree – Morpheground
Codéine (instrumental) – TTC
The End – Milenese
Ooos and Aahhs (feat. Jesse Boykins III) – Theophilus London
Grimboh – Stagga
Unbelievable – Dj Clap
Another Girl – Jacques Greene
Fog – Portable Sunsets
It’s Bigger Than HipHop – Dead Prez
Space Muzik Pt. 3 – Young Smoke
Reaction Time (Daedelus Juke) – Calyx
Sugar Kane – Sonic Youth
Faux Art – Krampfhaft
Nothing Is Always The Same – Alex B
Fin De Siècle – Daedelus
http://soundcloud.com/factmag/fact-mix-331-daedelus-may-12/s-5Mzln

Hackman - Forgotten Notes
Bondax - Wet Summer
Azealia Banks - 1991(Machinedrum's "DDD")
Parachute Youth- Awake Now (What So Not Remix)

Fucking love Daedelus, tracklist looks nice. Two new Azealia Banks tracks kill, couldn't find "Van Vogue"(Machinedrum) on Soundcloud/YouTube yet.

djtiesto

04. ID - ID
05. 6th Borough Project "Miss World" [Soultourist Remix] (Delusions Of Grandeur)
10. Rowan Blades & Chris Lake "Filth" [Original Mix] (Alternative Route Records)
14. Rasmus Faber ft. Dyanna Fearon "Give it to Me" [Spiritchaser Instrumental Mix] (Farplane)

This looks INCREDIBLE. Bolded my particular picks. Must download when I get home...

Can't wait to hear this one in particular!

04. ID - ID

Jon O'Bir pres. Anjunabeats Worldwide 280

Direct download link off of Jon O'Bir's soundcloud page
INFUSION YOU SAY?

Sai-kun

Banned
I somehow totally forgot about this thread :lol #oops (thanks for reminding me of it, Nyx)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38326740&postcount=72

Howdy, y'all. :) I'm thinking about making a new thread for this, but I don't know how well it would go over on GAF so I'm asking here!

On another forum I'm on, someone had a great idea of starting up a Mix Series.

What it would be is basically a weekly podcast of sorts, with a different (in this case) GAF-made mix every week, to showcase all the different DJs I'm sure we have here. It would also serve as a cool place to talk about new mixes and talk about shows and DJing in general.

I think it would be fun, and it'd be not too hard to organize. We'd just need a couple ground rules and we'd be all set. What do you guys think?

Also, I just picked up a Maschine a couple days ago. Thing is seriously rad. I am gonna make some wicked stuff over the summer. Hyped!

gdt

How come no one told me the new Knife Party EP is a few days away? The preview vid on youtube sounds awesome.

lush

Free EP from Nouveau Palais(Lunice, Prison Garde, & Ango) and Red Bull Music Academy

Avant Gang EP
1. Drama
2. HARDLYTRY
3. Ex Girl
4. She Won't Leave
5. To Be
6. Over You (feat. Bobbi Kay)
7. HARDLYTRY (Salva Remix)
8. Drama (Canblaster & Sinjin Hawke Remix)
9. Drama (Ambalance Remix)
10. Drama (Monolithium Remix)
11. Drama (HxbB & Self Evident Remix)
http://rbma.bandcamp.com/album/avant-gang-extended-play

Mermaid Ball Mixtape(just upped on her Soundcloud for her show on Sunday)

1. Prince Club - Platinum
2. Azealia Banks - Van Vogue
3. Azari & lll - Manic
4. Lone - Coreshine Voodoo
5. Zebra Katz - Ima Read feat. Njena Reddd Foxxx
6. Jay Karen - I Don't Like That Bitch
7. Tigga Calore & Dj Angel X - Welcome to W4th st
8. Maluca & The PartySquad - Lola (Ging Danga)
9. Azealia Banks- 212
10. Grandtheft - Gangsta Musik
11. Tigga Calore - Bang Ya Body (Anton Glamb Galactic Calore Mix)
12. Nicki Minaj - Whip It
13. Egypt - Let Your Love Come In (In The Morning)
14. Bax - D
15. September - Cry For You
16. Allice Deejay - Better Of Alone
17. Maluca - Hector
18. Baaeur - Harlem Shake
19. KP & Envyi- Shorty Swing my Way

http://soundcloud.com/azealia-banks/mermaid-ball-mixtape-azealia

Disclosure – Control (feat. Ria Ritchie)

Matthew Dear - Her Fantasy

Flosstradamus - From The Back feat. Danny Brown (Lunice Remix)

Disclosure are just absolutely unstoppable right now. That Matthew Dear song is fantastic/epic and perfect for summer.

bomma_man

Damn loving that Matthew Dear track. He's been on fire recently, SLow Dance and his Resident Advisor mix were both great. Guessing he's got a new album on the way?

Oh and does any of Euro-GAF have any recommendations for summer festivals? Going to be there from July til the start of September. Already seeing Radiohead/Caribou in Berlin and trying to plan a fool proof way of getting into Berghain.

Davidion

This is the PS1 Warm up schedule for this summer. Think I'll go rent an apartment next to the place and call it a day.

SCHEDULE

July 7th
Todd Terry / X-Mix Productions / New York, NY
Light Asylum / Mexican Summer / Brooklyn, NY
Nguzunguzu / Fade to Mind / Hippos in Tanks / Los Angeles, CA
Trust / Arts and Crafts/ Toronto, ON
Arca ft. HBA / UNO / New York, NY

July 14th
Terrence Parker / Parker Music Works / Detroit, MI
D3 (Mark Flash, Jon Dixon, DeSean Jones) / Underground Resistance /
Detroit, MI
Ron Morelli / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY
Jeremie Delon / A1 / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY
Steve Summers / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY
Professor Genius / L.I.E.S. / New York, NY

July 21st
Matthew Dear (DJ Set) / Ghostly International / Spectral Sound / New York, NY
Sepalcure / Hotflush Recordings / Berlin / New York, NY
Le1f / Camp & Street / Greedhead / New York, NY
MikeQ / Fade To Mind / Qween Beat / Mad Decent / New York / New Jersey
JDH and Dave P / FIXED / New York, NY
Featuring a performance by Miguel / Bystorm / RCA Records Artist /
Los Angeles, CA

July 28th
MJ Cole / Prolific Recordings / London
DJ Spoko / True Panther / Atteridgeville, South Africa
Micachu & The Shapes / Rough Trade / London
Slava / Software / Brooklyn, NY
Van Rivers

August 4th
Jamie xx / Young Turks / London
Pearson Sound / Hessle Audio / United Kingdom
Lemonade / True Panther / Brooklyn, NY
Sinjin Hawke / Pelican Fly / Barcelona
Zora Jones / Pelican Fly / Barcelona

August 11th
Photek / Photek Productions / United Kingdom
Evian Christ / Tri Angle / Ellesmere Port, UK
Shlohmo / Friends of Friends / Los Angeles / New York
Autre Ne Veut / Software / Brooklyn, NY
Howse / Tri Angle / Providence

August 18th
Floating Points / Eglo / London
Jacques Greene / Vase / Montreal
Secret Circuit / Beats in Space / Los Angeles, CA
Hieroglyphic Being / Mathematics Recordings / Chicago, IL

August 25th
Just Blaze
Nick Catchdubs / Fool's Gold / Brooklyn, NY
Danny Brown / Fool's Gold / Detroit, MI
The Stallions (Lovefingers & Lee Douglas) / ESP Institute / New York, NY
BAIO / Greco-Roman / Brooklyn, NY

September 1st
James Holden / Border Community / London
Kassem Mosse / Workshop Records / Leipzig
Om Unit / Civil Music / London
Silent Diane / Austin, TX

September 8th
Atoms For Peace (DJ set) / XL Recordings / London
Rustie / Warp / Glasgow
Holy Other / Tri Angle / Manchester
Maria Minerva / Not Not Fun / London
Justin Strauss / WhateverWhatever / New York, NY

Sai-kun

Banned
This is a great idea.

thread worthy or should I just try to organize it here?

I figure the rules would be:

mixes are at least 40 minutes (80 tops), obviously beatmatched properly and stuff, and also one continuous track. I could set up a Mixcloud account for this :eek:

gdt

Hey guys, is there anywhere I can download Scuba's recent BBC Essential Mix, but separated by tracks? I have it as one long 2 hour file, and thats a pain to listen to.

Top Bottom