• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

In NYC? Been to one or two, friends been to a bunch, hasn't Okno been to a bunch?

What did you want to know?
Just curious, as I don't know if this is the thread for discussing the funk/soul/disco stuff they play (even if they tend to have a final hour that is much more dance-heavy).

I pretty much detest the stuff being posted in that other thread, but I get the impression that this one is more about minimal/tech house and less about the soulful house vocals I adore.

Davidion

Just curious, as I don't know if this is the thread for discussing the funk/soul/disco stuff they play (even if they tend to have a final hour that is much more dance-heavy).

I pretty much detest the stuff being posted in that other thread, but I get the impression that this one is more about minimal/tech house and less about the soulful house vocals I adore.

Yeah do it up here. There's a lot of general respect for that in this thread, I think; it's just that here the old sounds are often done by new bloods like Bicep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzx0_6HTkM8

We don't really have what you'd call a dedicated classic house/techno thread; shit would go over most people's heads. Thabiz and a bunch of others here reps techno pretty hard.

Here's my olive branch. Hahahaha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERRu9c9i_vA

Also, I mostly hate minimal techno/tech house.

okno

We hardly ever talk minimal/tech in here, to be honest. A bunch of us here listen to nothing but soulful house and the like (myself included.) I've only been to like three or four Mister Saturday Night parties, but I've been to a BUNCH of Mister Sunday parties. It's my favorite party in NYC. Eamon and Justin have the most insane taste in music, and they way to go so effortlessly between cumbia, disco, acid, funk, techno is just ridiculous. I'm so stoked for Mister Sunday to start up again, the vibe there is fantastic.

It's amazing how much confusion has come up with the other thread.

thabiz said:
cool. is it far from brooklyn? i think i might have access to a car, but driving in is pretty much stupid right?

Barry is a must. did you check the mike humphries mix?

It's not all that far, but it depends where you are going to be. I think you said Bushwick? In which case it would take about an hour with the Sunday train schedule. Driving isn't so bad, it's just finding free or cheap parking that's the issue.

Haven't checked either one out, yet. Forgot to load up my phone before I left the house today.

And Shaneus, I might do that. Depends on how lazy I am later today :p

Finesse - Believe (C.L.A.W.S. Day Mix) It's fucking Spring outside finally. Woop!

okno

But.....

(am I the only one here that adores minimal and techhouse then?)

You know what I mean. You, djtiesto, and I post that stuff every once in a while, but it hardly ever gets discussed. Minimal still has a very dear place in my heart, but I don't actively listen to those things much anymore. I like my deep cuts and kooky vocals too much.

But please, don't stop. Just because it doesn't get talked about doesn't mean it isn't appreciated.

Lord of the Isles - A2B You should also probably get this. Everyone should get this, really.

We hardly ever talk minimal/tech in here, to be honest. A bunch of us here listen to nothing but soulful house and the like (myself included.) I've only been to like three or four Mister Saturday Night parties, but I've been to a BUNCH of Mister Sunday parties. It's my favorite party in NYC. Eamon and Justin have the most insane taste in music, and they way to go so effortlessly between cumbia, disco, acid, funk, techno is just ridiculous. I'm so stoked for Mister Sunday to start up again, the vibe there is fantastic.
!
Yeah, It's easily my favorite party in NYC too; reminds me of Hard French in SF. Did you know that Todd Terje played Inspector Norse there about six months before releasing it as a single?

I'm worried as shit, though, that they won't be able to go back to the Gowanus Grove after the Hurricane Sandy flooding filled it with mercury.

okno

Yeah, It's easily my favorite party in NYC too; reminds me of Hard French in SF. Did you know that Todd Terje played Inspector Norse there about six months before releasing it as a single?

I'm worried as shit, though, that they won't be able to go back to the Gowanus Grove after the Hurricane Sandy flooding filled it with mercury.

Haha, I saw the video of him playing it for the first time there. That dude in the yellow pants was hilarious. The thing that sucks about that day? I was there, and had to leave due to a work emergency about 30 minutes before Terje started playing. I was piiiiiissed.

From what I can tell and have heard, they're still on for the Gowanus. They should be announcing the first details pretty soon!

Nyx

You know what I mean. You, djtiesto, and I post that stuff every once in a while, but it hardly ever gets discussed. Minimal still has a very dear place in my heart, but I don't actively listen to those things much anymore. I like my deep cuts and kooky vocals too much.

But please, don't stop. Just because it doesn't get talked about doesn't mean it isn't appreciated.

Hehe I see!

In that case:

Clone Kent - Clandestine

Davidion

Purity Ring is apparently playing in NYC in May as part of some weirdly organized music festival:

http://www.spin.com/articles/downto...-2013-kendrick-lamar-purity-ring-sky-ferreira

The festival takes part at separate venues, and you can either buy a 2-day ticket to see all the acts or buy tickets to single events. I'm only interested in Purity Ring so I'll probably just go see them.

Nah, the structure's been done before. I mean, it's basically a more hipster CMJ, which, if you think about it...

You are familiar with the second version of Belispeak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdyGFmct78

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
GONNA TEAR SHIT UP! Buying my Tobefdeminfengler ticket tomorrow!

Figured I'd also throw this out there: if you're in or around NYC on Sunday, I'm DJing at Yotel from 12-5pm. Not exactly my preferred venue, but I like playing there because I get five hours to play whatever the fuck I want. Since its Easter, I'm going as deep and funky as I can go. The word of the day will be "bouncy".

Can't wait to drop Einzelkind - Blues for Yous (Roman Flugel Remix) on everybody. I've got some choice cuts lined up :)

Damn, I've got a family function on Easter so won't be able to make it... definitely need to come and see you play out though!

Yes I have, twice. Three times if you count going through the unmixed versions. I love it actually, a worthy sequel. Thought it was quite bland on first try though. The extras like the unmixed and beatless versions are a nice bonus in the digi release.

I just ordered Invol<3r - so far I've heard mixed things but people seem to agree that it's better than #2. The original Involver is one of my favorite mixcomps of all time, though I did find #2 to not be as good. I've been really liking the type of music Sasha is playing nowadays, that laid-back melodic Crosstown Rebels vibe, so I have hopes for this one...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Please tell me you guys are listening to this Cyclist album. Shit's blowing my mind this week.

https://soundcloud.com/the-cyclist

So what the fuck. This has been pulled and there's literally no mention of it anywhere else on the internet... at least, by that name. Anyone manage to download the HD video or find an alternative title?

The youtube originally came straight from the source; I've asked him (Recycle Culture) about the mix, waiting to hear back. In the meantime, he dropped this link for another new track that apes the whole '80s homage thing like nobody's business. Incredible.

"No Sincerity Movement"

miksushag

Such an awesomely fun mixtape, playing this third time now hahah.

EDMX - Pleasure Principle presents Roller-Rink Boogaloo Mix
https://soundcloud.com/nmbrs/pleasure-principle-edmx-roller-rink-boogaloo-mix

In advance of his appearance at our Pleasure Principle Weekender (pleasureprinciple.net), we're very excited to bring you this classic 80's disco boogie mix from EDMX aka DMX Krew (Rephlex, Fresh Up, MPC Trax). It's difficult to say exactly how many times we have listened to this mix over the years - it's just so good, and importantly it's 100% guaranteed to smash your house party. Spencer reckon's it's one of his favourite DJ mixes of all time so if you haven't heard it yet.. well we're VERY jealous of you.

Royalcash - Radio Activity (Instrumental)
AE3D - Laser*Man
X-25 Band - Jam It
One Way - Pop It
Vaghan Mason & Crew - Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll Pt. 1
Ronnie Hudson & The Street People - West Coast Poplock
Zapp - Dance Floor
Videeo - Closet Freak (Special Mix)
Angela Bofill - Can't Slow Down (Instrumental)
The System - It's Passion (Instrumental)
Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots
Kool & The Gang - Fresh (Remix)
Evelyn King - Love Come Down
Alexander O'Neal - What's Missing?
Pointer Sisters - Automatic
"Q" - The Voice Of "Q" (Instrumental)
Indeep - When Boys Talk
Unique - What I Got Is What You Need (Instrumental)
Morris Day - The Oak Tree
The Time - The Walk
Cameo - Back And Forth (Dub Version)
Rich Cason & The Galactic Orchestra - Street Symphony (Instrumental)
Kosmic Light Force - Mysterious Waves
Rah Band - Messages From The Stars (Long Wave Mix / Astro Mix)
Robotron >4< - Electro?
Ose - Party Beat (Dance Mix)
Midnight Star - Freak-A-Zoid
Galactic Life Force - Loosing Control (Dub Version)
Rich Cason - Year 2001 Boogie (Remix/Club Version)
First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder
Loose Joints - Is It All Over My Face? (Female Vocal)

Servbot24

Banned
mmcd41.jpg

DJ Sprinkles - Where Dancefloors Stand Still

This was pretty god damn good!

I'm really enjoying this.

Midtown 120 Blues is still one of my all time favorite electronic releases. :)

Shaneus

The youtube originally came straight from the source; I've asked him (Recycle Culture) about the mix, waiting to hear back. In the meantime, he dropped this link for another new track that apes the whole '80s homage thing like nobody's business. Incredible.

"No Sincerity Movement"
Awesome, you're a star. Posted a link to it on an FB music group I'm in and everyone loved it. Feel free to pass that on!

Shaneus

Lord of the Isles - A2B You should also probably get this. Everyone should get this, really.
Man, I'm the same. I adore minimal and tech but because music has way too much influence on my emotions, I haven't listened to it consistently for years (back when I was going out *every* weekend and pumping whatever I could find into my body). It's still such great stuff (and if anyone has links to new shit, by GOD post it!) but it's not in the forefront of what I listen to, for sure.

Just for kicks, I'll (somewhat randomly) post some of the tracks I had burned back when I was still burning stuff to potentially play out (not necessarily the big tunes... as I said, pretty much random picks):
Paul Hazendonk - Sweet Torture (Umek remix)
16 Bit Lolitas - Happy Hardcore Still Works (Also look for a track called Gig on the Moon, couldn't find anything linkable :/)
Spektre - Deal With It (Kanio remix)
Robag Wruhme - Wortkabular

And a random one I stumbled upon that could probably be played today:
Def Jaguar - Chick 1

Shaneus

Obviously, not to say I don't still enjoy it, but it's really best enjoyed in a very specific environment and (generally) in a very specific state of mind. Still like it, but these days the "lighter" stuff is easier to listen to around the clock :)

Miroku

Minimal, like electro, is just another word that got co-opted from its underground techno roots to become some more popular, poppy, sub-genre of electronica which we may as well call EDM now.

The genre names are really meaningless to me now.

Whats this track?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gjzLByz8jw
house? tech-house? techno? Honestly, I couldnt care less.

okno

Minimal, like electro, is just another word that got co-opted form its underground techno roots to become some more popular, poppy, sub-genre of electronica which we may as well call EDM now.

The genre names are really meaningless to me now.

Whats this track?

Weird example to make that point :p I'll have to strongly disagree about minimal, however, in that it has absolutely become its own entity. Labels like Comeme, M_nus, Cecille, 3201 have all made minimal a thing, and a boring one at that. I'm getting tired of these label arguments, though, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

For the record, I fucking love that Low Jack single.

Shaneus

This track finally got an upload in its fullest: Forest People - Chayot Ha Kodesh Miroku and biz, don't sleep on this. F'real swishy techno.
Jesus christ.

Whats this track?
Awesome is what it is.

FWIW I just use genre names as more of a descriptor than a specific classification, as in "this has a kinda techy, minimaly, Detroid kinda sound with a bit of a French house vibe" (not that that's a thing). It's like saying something looks kinda purple but to be anal about it, it's mauve.

miksushag

Speaking of techhouse - why are there so many god damn dj's who play generic techhouse? You know the kind with shakers, bingos, bongos, congas and all that shit. I'm so sick and tired of that sound, and it's at least popular as EDM here in Finland.

I haven't got anything against techhouse if it is done right (Luciano and such), but this type of generic stuff is surprisingly popular.
https://soundcloud.com/djtiberiuz/tiberiuz-winter-2013 (just an example)

edit: This music is like, make the expression Günther has in the photo (squint your eyes a bit, and look really seductive) and then do a running movement with your arms in sync with the music, and there you go.
gunther.jpg

okno

Speaking of techhouse - why are there so many god damn dj's who play generic techhouse? You know the kind with shakers, bingos, bongos, congas and all that shit. I'm so sick and tired of that sound, and it's at least popular as EDM here in Finland.

I haven't got anything against techhouse if it is done right (Luciano and such), but this type of generic stuff is surprisingly popular.
https://soundcloud.com/djtiberiuz/tiberiuz-winter-2013 (just an example)

Preaching to the choir, sister. Preaching to the choir.

Miroku

Okno, absolutely minimal is its own market now but when it was becoming "the new thing" 5 years ago people were jamming out to stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT6mQPVCZ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31J6emKXxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gztYKNpbAlI

Which is basically a more restrained form of trance :)

I don't get it!

Meanwhile in the "techno" sphere you had all the berghain stuff starting to happen which has a way more minimalist aesthetic but for some reason was just called "techno"

The latest stuff on Minus and what not (Hawtins DJing) is unlistenable.

nothing

Awakenings Easter Special, Gashouder is live right now. The Lineup for the evening is below.

http://be-at.tv/HiIFAA

Jon Rundell | can be viewed now
Nicole Moudaber | can be viewed now
Pan-Pot | 21:39
Carl Cox | 23:09
Adam Beyer | 01:09

okno

Okno, absolutely minimal is its own market now but when it was becoming "the new thing" 5 years ago people were jamming out to stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT6mQPVCZ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31J6emKXxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gztYKNpbAlI

Which is basically a more restrained form of trance :)

I don't get it!

Meanwhile in the "techno" sphere you had all the berghain stuff starting to happen which has a way more minimalist aesthetic but for some reason was just called "techno"

The latest stuff on Minus and what not (Hawtins DJing) is unlistenable.

But those examples still fit the bill: it's techno, with minimal instrumentation. It's not quite out there enough to be called trance, and it's not quite hard enough to be called techno. I still think the genre title suits it just fine.

get. on. that. forest. people. track. now.

Also, what the fuck happened to minus? They had such a good thing going for them back then. Heartthrob's "Baby Kate" SLAYED me the first time I heard it.

edit: I'm being weird. 60+ hours logged this week and now I'm drunk, so I'm rambling.

Ill Saint

Yes, none of the Berghain /Ostgut associates relate their music with minimalism as a musical style. My guess is probably because Berghain were interested in fostering a distinctive sound which would come to be associated with the club and label. It seemed closer to the Birmingham sound (which was influenced by Hood and Mills anyway) than the earlier resurgence of minimalism, so... it's all a bit incestuous anyway. :)

Top Bottom