• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
corkscrewblow said:
Not as good as UFC Undisputed.
hmm... I really wonder about this. will be interesting to say the least. Not that I necessarily think either game will be in the top 5-6.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tomorrow, Punch Out shall be mine. And it shall be glorious!

markatisu

Captain N said:
How does everyone think Punch-Out!! will do on the NPDs in May? I think it will be Number 1.

Pretty well I think, it has gotten a lot of press (it was on Jimmy Fallon late night, its been talked about on a majority of gaming sites, and Nintendo has pushed a bunch of merchandise out for it), the reviews are awesome (1up gave it an A+)

It has been in the Top 10 of Amazon for weeks and last week jumped to #1, I know its nothing to really go by but Amazon was a good predicator that Layton was making a move and all of GAF dismissed it, and EA Active has been #1 for almost a solid month.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Captain N said:
How does everyone think Punch-Out!! will do on the NPDs in May? I think it will be Number 1.

Nope, EA Sports Active will be number one, followed by Wii Fit, Wii Play, then Punch Out. UFC will come in 5th, but still do over 300k. Active will break 1MM, Punch Out will do around 600k.

/pachterhat off

borghe

Active is going to be crazy. I know probably around 10 people really looking forward to Punch Out, and that is 100% of my core gamer friends and a couple of casuals who think it looks really good.

Active is probably over double that amongst people I know. Basically 100% of the people who own WiiFit are getting active. It is going to be crazy.

rhino4evr

I haven't purchased a Wii game since Smash Brothers..but this one is seriously calling my name. I have to resist..I must...i joined Gamefly to save money, but what good does it do, if I still want to buy titles the day they release?

Jme

Where are you guys picking this up at? I've tried every store I can think of and nobody has it in yet.

Brelston

If you're still interested in a video of the Balance Board, I just posted this along with the review:

http://www.gamesradar.com/video/v-20090518125238518030

(make sure your settings are High in the prefs)

Basically, I like the Board as a secondary way to play. Started a separate save file just for it. The leaning is kinda unresponsive, but I think I found a decent way around it (just lift one foot instead of actually leaning).

Great time, gave it a 9/10. Tons of great music and fan service. Full review is on the Reviews tab, didn't wanna spam two links in one post.

Captain N

Brelston said:
If you're still interested in a video of the Balance Board, I just posted this along with the review:

http://www.gamesradar.com/video/v-20090518125238518030

(make sure your settings are High in the prefs)

Basically, I like the Board as a secondary way to play. Started a separate save file just for it. The leaning is kinda unresponsive, but I think I found a decent way around it (just lift one foot instead of actually leaning).

Great time, gave it a 9/10. Tons of great music and fan service. Full review is on the Reviews tab, didn't wanna spam two links in one post.

Nice review! I actually like the layout of the site and will be visiting it now. Never heard of it before.

Lucky bastards...
punch_out_launch-5.jpg

pakkit

Banned
Nabs said:
that's one large ass picture
No 56k!

Getting this tomorrow before noon.

I wasn't that into the Punch Out!! series before this, to be honest, but the animations, sense of humor, and attention to detail just screams quality.

No way this or UFC is getting number 1 on NPD, though.

borghe

TurtleSnatcher said:
Haha..

No.. UFC will be #1 in May. Guarantee it.
because it has wider appeal than WWE which has never been #1?

I seriously doubt it. Not trying to be a dick, but I just don't see a western fighter/brawler doing record numbers on any system, let alone outselling the normal wii titles that usually sit atop the NPD (wiiplay, wiifit, mario kart, etc). If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I would be quite surprised.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just called my Best Buy and they said they had it in stock. :D

Here's hoping they hook me up when I roll in there after work.

fugimax

Does punch-out require firmware 4.0? I'm still on the one before that and wanna know if I'll have to carefully upgrade so homebrew still works..

-PXG-

Lambtron said:
I just called my Best Buy and they said they had it in stock. :D

Here's hoping they hook me up when I roll in there after work.

Hmmmm....My GF lives right down the road from a Wal-Mart. Might drag her ass with me to see if they have it....

Struct09

fugimax said:
Does punch-out require firmware 4.0? I'm still on the one before that and wanna know if I'll have to carefully upgrade so homebrew still works..

The game upgraded my Wii to 4.0. I was at 3.4 before that.

borghe

fugimax said:
there is no such thing. 4.0 was deemed as homebrew-safe upgrade since like the day after it came out. the actual recommended way to upgrade is just through Wii Shop.. or else punch out :p

borghe said:
because it has wider appeal than WWE which has never been #1?

I seriously doubt it. Not trying to be a dick, but I just don't see a western fighter/brawler doing record numbers on any system, let alone outselling the normal wii titles that usually sit atop the NPD (wiiplay, wiifit, mario kart, etc). If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I would be quite surprised.
Then prepared to be surprised.

BrandNew said:
bullshit. Punch Out!! is being advertised like hell, AND it's an established popular Nintendo franchise.

Eh I think he is right.. About 200k at most.

koam

I'm not expecting high numbers for punch out. It sucks, i really want the game to succeed but it's a hard sell at full price considering the value of it.

I imagine Punch-Out!! will do Super Paper Mario-style numbers, if not a little better. But who cares; fuck Sales Age.

What I'm really here for is to bitch about Amazon. WTF MY COPY WON'T COME IN UNTIL NEXT TUESDAY!!! :mad:!!!!!!!!!!

Struct09

koam said:
I'm not expecting high numbers for punch out. It sucks, i really want the game to succeed but it's a hard sell at full price considering the value of it.

The game definitely has enough content to justify its $50 price tag. Whether people perceive that or not could be the problem.

-PXG-

God damnit!

1) One motherfucker didn't even speak English
2) The one that did didn't know what a street date was (since Punch Out!! ISN'T SD'ed)
3) They didn't even bother checking to see if they had it

I could have been a complete dick and still would have gotten....well.....dick. :lol

koam said:

Considering what value? The game will last you at least a good 15 hours just beating Title Defence, and then you've got the extra fighter(s?) and the different achievements for each fighter.

AniHawk said:
Guy is/was in Gamestop Corporate. Might know some inside info.

Some inside future info of the world?

Because yes, maybe it only does 200k but a like this game can give the surprise. No one knows exactly what is going to do at the end. I hope for the best of it.

markatisu

AniHawk said:
Guy is/was in Gamestop Corporate. Might know some inside info.

Walmart and Best Buy are also pushing UFC very hard, so it should not surprise anyone if it does well.

But I think Punch Out would still be a constant seller where as UFC is going to blow its load in the first 2 months.

Top Bottom