• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

Memles

Having now played a bit more, I'm definitely digging it much more. I always feel like I'm wasting ammo whenever I attack a large group and lack shotgun shells, but after some fun with incindiery grenades I'm back on track.

zooL

Anyone else getting weird slowdowns in the Wii-Version? I'm playing in 16:9 without zoom.
I could swear these weren't there in the GC-Version.

Costanza

Banned
I finally picked this up again after taking a break for a couple weeks. Anyway, that
Salazar
fight was wayyyyy too ****ing easy with the rocket launcher.

CaVaYeRo

For PAL RE4 Wii users:

I haven't read the whole thread. Some users of the Revogamers community have found that it is actually possible using Classic Controller and GameCube controller on this game. It seems it says so in the American version, but no word in the Euro one.

Maybe you find this useless, but anyway you can be curious and want to know how does it work (also maybe you already know this):

You just need to start the game with the Wiimote + Nunchuk config and then unplug the Nunchuck in any in-game menu. If you have a plugged GC controller, you can use it from that moment. If not, you can plug a Classic one. Control scheme remains the same for GC, very similar for the Classic.

the link.

An easter egg? an error? They say it does not appear in the manual, neither in the box: just nunchuk for PAL users.

cvxfreak

AdmiralViscen said:
Wait, Euro dudes need a workaround to use CC/Cube?

It's the same. Just get past the warning screens with the nunchuck connected, then change the controller to your liking.

The post above yours is actually old and well known already.

Got it. RE4 is still awesome. Even better since the aiming is amazingly accurate. I'm not that brilliant at aiming and I'm currently averaging 86% accuracy. I was normally getting low-70% in the GC game. I can actually fish with the harpoons on the speed boat.

Playing this really makes me want Capcom to remake Dead Aim using the RE4 engine and make it 5 times bigger or something. Or RE2make.

Christopher

I'll honestly say this is the only game so far that I've felt that the Wii "enhanced". Zelda felt like a damn chore, and remote was so ****ing annoying to swing all the time like that - I tried to put in the cube controller again, and wasn't getting them headshots.

So big thumbs up on the controls for this one. - and I'm not a huge Wii fan as it is, but without a doubt - 30 bucks is a steal.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is going to get me on Anihawk's shitlist, but just for pure fun/exhilaration/OMG play..I kind of sort of am enjoying RE4 more than Twilight Princess. Don't get me wrong- I loved TP and appreciated its greatness...but RE4 just makes me giddy when I play it. Am I insane? Is this an absurd opinion to have? If I'm insane, everybody feel free to tell me.

schuelma said:
This is going to get me on Anihawk's shitlist, but just for pure fun/exhilaration/OMG play..I kind of sort of am enjoying RE4 more than Twilight Princess. Don't get me wrong- I loved TP and appreciated its greatness...but RE4 just makes me giddy when I play it. Am I insane? Is this an absurd opinion to have? If I'm insane, everybody feel free to tell me.
I can sort of agree with that. RE4 is fresh-ish (it's a port after all) and awesome, while TP is awesome yet terribly familiar, being influenced by OoT.

ivysaur12

Banned
Question: Are the Seperate Ways cutscenes still not in real time? Because something seems off in the transition while I'm playing.

Banned
So is it worth getting the Blacktail over the Red 9? Broken Butterfly worth the money? Thinking about the BB over the shotgun.

666 said:
So is it worth getting the Blacktail over the Red 9? Broken Butterfly worth the money? Thinking about the BB over the shotgun.

Blacktail vs. Red9 is a source of much debate over the internets.

Basically, it boils down to this - Blacktail is superior in every single aspect except for damage, in which Red9 outclasses it by 2 points. You make your own decision from there.

Broken Butterfly is worth the money. All of 0 pesetas. There's a free one in the storage room just before Salazar's garden. You can get it after you've rescued Ashley (and played as her).

BB isn't a substitute for a shotgun. Shotguns are crowd-control weapons. BB is pure damage.

Banned
the blacktail does seem to pump out the shots pretty effectively, but i've already got the Red 9, I might just upgrade that a bit. The BB is damn satisfying to use, but as it's free, i'll hold out. Thanks.

edit: what about the Riot Gun, you think it's worth the money over the shotty?

Seraph830

Banned
Just beat it. Wow what a trip, the Wiimote made this game incredible even for a second playthrough. Now IIRC I played through the GC version on Easy mode, and now that ive beaten the Wii version does this mean I completed Normal difficulty?

Now im anxious to play with the Handcannon. I played around in mercenary mode a little bit before I went to bed, and could only manage 1 star :(. I need to get 5 stars on every stage with every character?

666 said:
edit: what about the Riot Gun, you think it's worth the money over the shotty?

Riot Gun's primary advantage is that the damage disperses less over longer distances - but why on earth would you use a shotgun for long-distance shooting?

Stick with the Shotgun until you can get the Striker. It's the best of the three shotguns by a fair margin.

CaVaYeRo

cvxfreak said:
It's the same. Just get past the warning screens with the nunchuck connected, then change the controller to your liking.

The post above yours is actually old and well known already.

I didn't know that, I thought it was new.

And why do they say nothing in the manual? I don't get it :(

EDIT: and it seems that many Spanish people didn't know this.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but has anyone noticed that the crosshair can get stuck if you sweep it across the top of the screen?

It seems to slide smoothly across the sides and bottom, but if you try to trace the top of the screen with it, it'll get stuck for a second, usually around the middle.

Ristamar

Pureauthor said:
Riot Gun's primary advantage is that the damage disperses less over longer distances - but why on earth would you use a shotgun for long-distance shooting?

In a panic, the extended range can be useful. A pity it isn't more effective, though, since the Riot Gun looks much cooler than the Stryker. If the Stryker wasn't smaller and wasn't capable of holding 100 shells, I'd have probably hung on to the Riot Gun. I doubt I'd have missed the extra damage.

123rl

That video is awesome :D

I'm up the Village Chief now. Enjoying it so much and it's even better than the first time I played it. I've played it so much that I thought I'd get bored by knowing where every enemy is and what's coming up next, but it's made the game even better in a way.

Feindflug

I got the game yesterday and all I have to say is that the controls are really really great - headshot edition for sure...after almost 2 years the game still owns almost everything.

Now my only complaint is the IQ, it's really jaggy on my 32" CRT HDTV even at 480p - in fact 480i looks better...I honestly guys can't understand how's that possible but 480i looks a bit cleaner - same case with Twilight Princess and Wii Sports...o_O

123rl

Feindflug said:
I got the game yesterday and all I have to say is that the controls are really really great - headshot edition for sure...after almost 2 years the game still owns almost everything.

Now my only complaint is the IQ, it's really jaggy on my 32" CRT HDTV even at 480p - in fact 480i looks better...I honestly guys can't understand how's that possible but 480i looks a bit cleaner - same case with Twilight Princess and Wii Sports...o_O

I think it's the Wii to blame. I have a PAL Wii and 576i (PAL60 mode) looks so much better than 480p (NTSC prog. scan)

Feindflug

123rl said:
I think it's the Wii to blame. I have a PAL Wii and 576i (PAL60 mode) looks so much better than 480p (NTSC prog. scan)

576i is PAL60? I don't think so..576i is 50Hz and it looks way worse than 480i/p - I've tried it - looks even more jaggier and looks less smooth due to running at 25fps.

But yeah maybe is the Wii to blame, PS2 & XBOX games at 480p look way better than 480i...

fernoca

Feindflug said:
Looks fine on mine (480p) just like the GameCube version but on full widescreen (well...semi-full :D )

Anyway...woohoo...P.N.03 music!!! :D

donny2112

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I am really enjoying parts of the run-through with
Special Costume 2
and the
Chicago Typewriter
. I had used that gun in the GameCube version, so I knew what to expect. However, Leon with his
20s gangster outfit
and that gun are great together. I had originally been very ho-hum about the prospect of Ashley being
dressed as a knight.
I already protected her, so what's the big deal. But she's
invincible
in that thing!

Fun things to do with
Knight
Ashley:

1. Shoot her with the
Chicago Typewriter
2. Shoot her with the Rocket Launcher.
3. Get her caught in a beartrap and shoot her to get her out.
4. Have a villager try to carry her away and fail.
5. Have Leon catch her when she jumps down.
"Oh, my back!"
6. Walk close to an El Gigante, have her stop, and walk back.
The El Gigante tries to squeeze her, gives up, and rubs his hands in pain after a bit.
7. Walk too far up the path to the castle, have her stop, and walk back.
The truck runs her over.
"Ahhh!" <falls down> <gets back up>

:lol :lol

Much more fun than I was expecting for a third play-through.

zooL said:
Anyone else getting weird slowdowns in the Wii-Version? I'm playing in 16:9 without zoom.
I could swear these weren't there in the GC-Version.

Im getting those too, but its nothing to do with the game itself, the slowdowns happen randomly.....

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man I'm loving the tmp this play through. When I played it through I just about skipped it entirely. I totally owned that big freaky 1 eyed guy with it. good stuff.

2 questions, I'm missing 1 gem from the decorative mask
I got 1 from each path of the 2 routes section
where is the last one? I've just entered the castle and want to know if I've missed it. also, what are the catseyes? They have notes that say 'it looks like it was set in something, but what' I would like to know what.

Also whats that weird puzzle behind the church in the graveyard? do You come back to it? I couldn't make sense of it and it didn't seem to impact the story.

donny2112

catfish said:
also, what are the catseyes? They have notes that say 'it looks like it was set in something, but what' I would like to know what.

Also whats that weird puzzle behind the church in the graveyard? do You come back to it? I couldn't make sense of it and it didn't seem to impact the story.

The Green Catseye is in that puzzle behind the church. Look at the gravestones for the three sets of twins in the graveyard and light up those symbols. The Catseyes go into the Beerstein.

don't want to start a new thread, and I know it's not about RE4 but:

umbrella chronicle's producer announced yesterday that the game will have QTEs and grenades, and I think we didn't know that

donny2112 said:
The Green Catseye is in that puzzle behind the church. Look at the gravestones for the three sets of twins in the graveyard and light up those symbols. The Catseyes go into the Beerstein.

first time I solved that puzzle, I just tried to light the symbols that spelled MVS (neogeo) for fun, and that worked :lol I still think of it everytime I do it

Top Bottom