• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

Tab0203

Jokeropia said:
It's because this version is afaik based on the PAL GC version, which also had more money and less ammo drops that the US version.

Other changes include Blacktail, Red9 and Bolt Action Rifle having higher final firepower than the US GC version. (BAR exclusive firepower is increased from 18 to 30!)
Yeah, I imported the US version with freeloader. I just could not wait. :)

Will there ever be a freeloader for Wii? The firmware update feature is the problem, right?

StranGER

skinnyrattler said:
Are the mercenary missions easier on the Wii? I was wondering, since I gave up too easily on the GCN versions.

yes and no. i never finished them on the GC either. on the wii it was so much fun blowing them away i got five stars with every charecter on every map unlocking one hell of a weapon for my next playthrough as leon.

make sure you max that weapon and you become almost invincable. talk about power shot.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Dice said:
You don't deserve this game. Give it to someone else.
I played through the GC Version 6 times. ;)

Look, it's not about the game - it's really awesome with the new controlls. The graphics are just really bad. I really don't know who at Capcom did this. Just tried the wohle thing with the AV cable. It also looks bad, but totally different. Seems like I have to buy an RGB cable to play this game like it's ment to be played.

TheExorzist said:

Look, it's not about the game - it's really awesome with the new controlls. The graphics are just really bad. I really don't know who at Capcom did this. Just tried the wohle thing with the AV cable. It also looks bad, but totally different. Seems like I have to buy an RGB cable to play this game like it's ment to be played.

Did you bitch about the graphics 6 times, too? :^p

TheExorzist said:

RGB and component won't give you any difference. Just switch to 480i if you are having trouble with progressive output.

As I said, you may want to look into the settings of your TV.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Phife Dawg said:
RGB and component won't give you any difference. Just switch to 480i if you are having trouble with progressive output.
It will, I know. The whole thing is very strange. When I plug in the component cabel the graphics are sharp but it looks like they need 4xAA. Looks horrible. Now when I plug in the AV cable it's exactly the different thing. The graphics have no rough edges at all but it is horribly unsharp. With the RGB cable it gets a lot sharper, so it has to be the best choice. Someone told me that all Samsung HDTVs have this problems with the Wii and that the RGB cable gives you the best results. I will definitly try it. It just can't get more worse after all. ;)

Kevtones

I really suck at Mercenaries. I can't seem to 5-star the docks stage because of that damn super-chainsaw dude. Is there a method to the madness?

Speevy

Banned
I have a question.

How long should it take to get used to these controls? I'm having a tough time with this game.

Don't get me wrong. There are some cool ideas and the remote offers pinpoint accuracy on gunshots, but just moving around, getting ready for the next wave, feels weird and awkward.

Laurent

Speevy said:
I have a question.

How long should it take to get used to these controls? I'm having a tough time with this game.

Don't get me wrong. There are some cool ideas and the remote offers pinpoint accuracy on gunshots, but just moving around, getting ready for the next wave, feels weird and awkward.
It took me 2 hours...

Setanta

Speevy said:
I have a question.

Well ive played through the original version of the game on the Gamecube then the re-released PS2 version, tbh the Wii controls are an absolute breeze, i think Shinji would be proud of the decision to bring it to the Wii, it feels as if the game was meant to be created for the system, when you play through this 'supposed' definitive version- which i think it is 100%.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I was a bit skeptical about the controllers (I thought it'd be too sensitive and "jumpy"), but I grasped it almost immediately. It was easier than the GC-version thanks to the controllers and a great game. But not really that interesting if you've played the original.

dyls

Speevy said:
I have a question.

By the time I got to the house with Luis (still one of the most tense experiences ever in gaming) I was completely comfortable with them. Having the reticule up while you run really makes a stop n' pop style work far better than it did on the GC.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I just made it out of the sewers and I about pissed my pants :lol :lol :lol :lol

Still my favorite Wii game. Just awesome

Setanta

S1kkZ said:
a little off topic: new resident evil extinction trailer

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809697875/video/3488428/

Nice effects in the movie, but what on earth has the movie series ever got to do with the original games? Imagine if the movies were done right, based on the actual games?... now we are talking!

Back on topic, has anyone picked up on how the 'Assignment Ada' graphics look just a little bit better than the 'Separate Ways' graphics??? Is this a GC vs PS2 thing? considering SW was ported from the PS2 with enhanced control for the Wii? amd AA was originally a GC extra?

[Nintex]

Setanta said:
Nice effects in the movie, but what on earth has the movie series ever got to do with the original games? Imagine if the movies were done right, based on the actual games?... now we are talking!
Can a movie tie together the stories though? I like this approach with the movies, the Resident Evil story makes no sense.

Setanta

[Nintex] said:
Can a movie tie together the stories though? I like this approach with the movies, the Resident Evil story makes no sense.

A bit like the Super Mario Bros Movie as well, it made no sense either.

Jokeropia

Kevtones said:
I really suck at Mercenaries. I can't seem to 5-star the docks stage because of that damn super-chainsaw dude. Is there a method to the madness?
What I tend to do when I hear that guy coming is to run to the rooftop with the rope you can glide down from. If you run all the way to the glider and wait for him to come for you you'll get plenty time to shoot him before he reaches you. If you hit him with the shotgun right at the top of his head he'll stumble backwards giving you time for another shot. With Ada or Wesker you can snipe him before he even gets close and with Krauser you won't even have to run to the rooftop (just kill him with your arm as soon as he appears) but with Hunk you might have to learn how to time your grenades to hit him.

andthebeatgoeson

Is the handcannon worth it? Compared to the Chicago Typewriter+ Infinite Rocket Launcher?

And am I just gun-shy because I only used Leon and someone said he sucked? My problem was I was having a hard time putting in enough effort to work my way up. I just got tired of the repetitive nature and seemingly bad reward system. To chain a few kills together in enough time, I was having a hard time figuring out the right chain of events.

Jokeropia

skinnyrattler said:
Is the handcannon worth it? Compared to the Chicago Typewriter+ Infinite Rocket Launcher?
In the GC version is was a nice complement that provided some variation, but the Chicago Typewriter is still much better and more fun to use. In the Wii version the CT is still significantly better, but I actually think the Handcannon is more fun to use.
skinnyrattler said:
And am I just gun-shy because I only used Leon and someone said he sucked?
It's possible. Leon is definitely the hardest character to complete it with, once you've managed that you'll have a much easier time with the other guys.
skinnyrattler said:
My problem was I was having a hard time putting in enough effort to work my way up. I just got tired of the repetitive nature and seemingly bad reward system. To chain a few kills together in enough time, I was having a hard time figuring out the right chain of events.
The recommended strategy differs from level to level. Which one did you have a problem with?

Scrubking

skinnyrattler said:

IMO no. You have to do WAY too much just to get one weapon that you don't really need after you beat the game. The CT kills everything in a few seconds so I see no reason to waste time trying to get the HC if you don't love Mercenaries. And even if you don't get the CT the Butterfly at full power is half as powerful as the HC so again I see no need to go out of your way to get it if you think Mercenaries is a chore (I think it is).

arab

OH MY GOD

I THANK GOD I WAITED OUT AND BOUGHT THE WII VERSION BECAUSE IT'S HEAVENLY

<3 <3 <3

anyway, right now i'm stuck at the part where ashley has to turn the cranks...i have little ammo due to the massive amount of ganados that attack prior to this. it seems impossible to complete because of this limited ammo... what should i do!!

The Eatable Arab said:
OH MY GOD

I THANK GOD I WAITED OUT AND BOUGHT THE WII VERSION BECAUSE IT'S HEAVENLY

<3 <3 <3

anyway, right now i'm stuck at the part where ashley has to turn the cranks...i have little ammo due to the massive amount of ganados that attack prior to this. it seems impossible to complete because of this limited ammo... what should i do!!

You might have to goo back to the previous save file. I found that i had to use the shoot the legs and kick/suplex technique on the Wii version due to the lack of ammo.

arab

broadwayrock said:
You might have to goo back to the previous save file. I found that i had to use the shoot the legs and kick/suplex technique on the Wii version due to the lack of ammo.

actually, what i did was sell the punisher and upgrade to a red9 with stock and now my shots are powerful and accurate, making it much easier to take out the fiends. i'm much further now.

STILL, I WANT THIS GAME TO NEVER END

Threi

notag
i just bought this game today

so now i have this version and my cousin's GCN version sitting right beside each other. :lol

it better be good gaf.

mrkgoo

I just found out not long ago that this game was released here. And I thought it wasn't out until August.

It's good. I don't see why it's an issue to have movement be 'disconnected' from aiming. It felt natural to me.

Anyway, I took a photo the other day, and I wondered why it looked so familiar...then it hit me...

4v5dow1.jpg

broadwayrock said:

wait, there's less ammo in the Wii version?

Laurent

VultureDude said:
wait, there's less ammo in the Wii version?
Yes, it's Resident Evil baby, back in it's original style!

The Eatable Arab said:
STILL, I WANT THIS GAME TO NEVER END
I hate the rescue part of it thought, I am just getting started in the castle, and some monk took Ashley away... x_x

StranGER

Speevy said:
I have a question.

I was good to go by the 1st house i got to before they rammed the cops off the cliff in their car. those 1st 3 crows were enough to adjust from the GC version.

skinnyrattler said:

And am I just gun-shy because I only used Leon and someone said he sucked? My problem was I was having a hard time putting in enough effort to work my way up. I just got tired of the repetitive nature and seemingly bad reward system. To chain a few kills together in enough time, I was having a hard time figuring out the right chain of events.

the handcannon is a blast to play with.
if i had known about it i would have beaten mercineries with 5 stars before even playing through the single player. lol

Setanta said:
Back on topic, has anyone picked up on how the 'Assignment Ada' graphics look just a little bit better than the 'Separate Ways' graphics??? Is this a GC vs PS2 thing? considering SW was ported from the PS2 with enhanced control for the Wii? amd AA was originally a GC extra?
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I think for Wii Separate Ways, Capcom redid most of the chapters with GC assets, but only touched up the 20% or so they built specifically for SW for PS2. The attempts to fix the PS2 bits are not bad, but you do notice things looking off. The water in Chapter 4 is very PS2 quality.

TheExorzist said:
It will, I know. The whole thing is very strange. When I plug in the component cabel the graphics are sharp but it looks like they need 4xAA. Looks horrible. Now when I plug in the AV cable it's exactly the different thing. The graphics have no rough edges at all but it is horribly unsharp. With the RGB cable it gets a lot sharper, so it has to be the best choice. Someone told me that all Samsung HDTVs have this problems with the Wii and that the RGB cable gives you the best results. I will definitly try it. It just can't get more worse after all. ;)
So you did try to play it in 480i? The only way Component and RGB should give a different output at 480i is when your component plug is somehow faulty.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I've had the Gc version for a while, but because of school Ive not had the chance to play it. Ive started to play it during the summer holidays and I love the game. Now I understand why everyone makes such a big deal about how good this game is because its really is brilliant. I'm upto
chapter 4-4 where you have to fight salazaar. It looks pretty difficult, but I think I know what to do

When i finish it, I'm definately going to play it again. I feel that I should do it on hard, but its alrerady been hard enough on normal. I'm just thinking if its worth getting the wii version of the game. Is it worth buying the game so i can play it with the nunchuck.

Setanta

mrkgoo said:
I just found out not long ago that this game was released here. And I thought it wasn't out until August.

It's good. I don't see why it's an issue to have movement be 'disconnected' from aiming. It felt natural to me.

Anyway, I took a photo the other day, and I wondered why it looked so familiar...then it hit me...

4v5dow1.jpg

If it were an actual Crow instead of a Blackbird, that would be spooky.

mrkgoo

Setanta said:
If it were an actual Crow instead of a Blackbird, that would be spooky.

Well spotted. We don't really have crows here... the closest we get are magpies.

We had some native ravens, but they are extinct, I believe.

Tab0203

CurseoftheGods said:
How the hell do you change the difficulty in this game? :(
It's dynamic, I believe. If you press continue after you die, there will be fewer enemies (or/and weakened) and you can buy health spray from the merchant.

Tab0203

There is also more ammo if you press continue. Happened to me an hour ago. One of the random item wood boxes contained 25 TMP rounds instead of 900 pesetas.

Top Bottom