• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Tokobot Review Thread.

Soul4ger

Obviously, people aren't having trouble keeping up on the Animal Crossing scores...

But PSP is getting an intriguing, original release tomorrow as well. Here's a thread to link to all its reviews, for folks like myself who are interested.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I hope this turns out to be a good game. It seems to be lacking in personality, but solid gameplay could still make it a winner.

Next week will be a good PSP week for me. Karakuri, Irregular Hunter X, and Exit. The following week, then, gives us Katamari. Games of this type, up until now, haven't really existed on PSP as of yet, so I'm excited about them.

Soul4ger

dark10x said:
Games of this type, up until now, haven't really existed on PSP as of yet, so I'm excited about them.

My thoughts exactly. They're something, also, that made me love the PSone and PS2. I'm hoping we see more of 'em.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
Games of this type, up until now, haven't really existed on PSP as of yet, so I'm excited about them.
I may be over my quota for viral marketing this week, but it needs to be said that Gripshift was among the very first :p

But enough about that, since this was supposed to be shipping today, hopefully we get a few reviews for Tokobot by the end of the night.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
might go get the demo (apparently there is one in a magazine), because the game was pretty dull at TGS.

Liking monster hunter PSP (which i vowed not to buy) a lot. Easily the most impressive game to date on the PSP. Looks on par with the PS2 version (it really is :O x 100000000) , better frame rate, better controls, it's faster, better load times etc etc...

*waves goodbye to another 200 hours of life*

Jonnyram

DCharlie said:
might go get the demo (apparently there is one in a magazine), because the game was pretty dull at TGS.
I ain't paying 1280 yen for a demo again.

Liking monster hunter PSP (which i vowed not to buy) a lot. Easily the most impressive game to date on the PSP. Looks on par with the PS2 version (it really is :O x 100000000) , better frame rate, better controls, it's faster, better load times etc etc...
You whore. I thought you weren't buying it :p
Don't make me get it too... please don't. I guess you're not playing Slime Mori Mori 2 then ;)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DCharlie said:

*waves goodbye to another 200 hours of life*

But...Monster Hunter PSP is not online, right? :(

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
DCharlie said:

What?! :-O
How are the Gunner controls mapped out?

Gribbix

IGN - 7.5

I'll be honest with you: Tokobot fell off my radar when I played parts of the import version. The game's characters were endearing, but the play in the early going seemed like it wasn't going to deliver on the promising concept of what the Tokobots were capable of. With just three major abilities, it felt like I had probably seen everything in the few stages I played through.

However, the game won me over when I played through it on my own, with little surprises constantly thrown in when the gameplay got stale and boss battles that were worth playing up to. I wasn't entirely wrong that the game only had so much gas in the engine, and everything about this game feels like it's foundation for a great sequel rather than its own must-play game. (Next time, multiplayer? Full physics? Difficulty challenges? Collectibles? More special skills? Extra Tokobots?) Even so, with PSP gamers yearning for both unique game experiences and classic platforming challenges, Tokobot slips into both roles and does its job well.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Don't make me get it too... please don't. I guess you're not playing Slime Mori Mori 2 then ;)"

ha ha - i have SMM2 , but throwing a load of time into MH.

some niggles starting to come in - having to go through the initial collect-a-thon AGAIN is HORRIBLE. They should have made Lvl 1 optional.

Gunner controls - i never played as a gunner, that was Mrs C's job, but i will check it out later.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So 1up basically says that the bad camera and A.I. makes the game a chore.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Mook1e said:
Right. And it's a shame and a disgrace.

:( Had it been online, I would've picked it up without a doubt. I've always been interested in Monster Hunter, but never really tried it out. Having it online on PSP would be perfect IMO, being able to play online on the go...maybe they could possibly add online support in a stateside release though?

And sorry for derailing the thread btw.

BuddyC

Had no idea this was already out.

Crud.

But the wide score spread means I'll likely hold off until I see some GAF impressions ...or have way too much money. I want to buy it and I want to love it, but the sad truth is I tend to agree more with Parish (1up) and Orlando (GameSpy) than Workman (GameDaily), especially since I have almost no patience for platformers.

XGoldenboyX

Baught it :) and It................................ ROCK's hehe.

Sound's a bit like ICO drama on PSP
Very cool game, The graphics, gameplay and music are top notch!. The camera get's a bit off sometimes, but overal a fun and entertaining game. The setback: you wish there could only be more :)

Thank's for making this game.

BuddyC

sammy said:
..... anyone get this yet??
I went ahead and caved, but I'm still kinda iffy on the overall experience. There are some parts I like ...and more parts I don't. I'm only at the first crane puzzle though, so we'll see what happens across the next few hours of gameplay. I can, however, definitely see where the reviewers are coming from.

Belfast

I really like it, but I can see the complaints, at the same time.

Seriously, though, I like it because of its platforming. Even if it isn't implemented as best as it can, with so many "platformers" shifting more towards combat, I haven't gotten a good fix of environmental puzzles/platform jumping in quite awhile, and Tokobot scratches that itch.

This is a game you play slowly, though. I liken it to Ape Escape in that regard...bright, colorful environments, whimsical music, and a sort of "play-at-your-own pace" mentality that isn't focused on twitch gameplay.

I'd like to see a fully realized sequel myself, but its one of the best original games on the PSP.

Dilbert

I'm a bit farther in than BuddyC at this point, and I'm enjoying it. "Charming" is a good word for it, since it's fairly laid-back (so far) -- there is some combat, but nothing has really kicked my ass enough to make me worry. Mostly, I think it benefits since there really isn't much like it on PSP to date.

The only (small) drawbacks so far are the camera, which very occasionally does something odd, and the lack of a "sprint" feature for retracing your steps quickly.

I'd give it a 7 or 8 up to this point...more as I get farther into the game.

Soul4ger

I got it as well. I've only about eight hours in, I've been rather busy with school work, but I see where the complaints come from. If this was any more than $30, I'd feel ripped off. It has nice art, funky music, but the environments and enemies are repetitive, the camera is terrible, the interface is far from ideal, the main character moves REALLY SLOW... It does feel like an early PSone game.

I got this as a gift, and I agree on most of the comments. I'm enjoying the experience, but I'm not bowled over.

-jinx- says it benefits from there not being much like it on PSP-- and while that's true, it also suffers from not being the kind of game the PSP demographic seems to be going for. This would probably get mroe attention on DS than it's getting on PSP. It's original and charming enough that it doesn't deserve to be run-down by anyone-- but the camera is indeed horrible.

It's much better than early PS1 games though-- I think somebody doesn't remember how crude those days could be!

mosaic

go eat paint
Finally got around to this from my backlog...

Cute, charming, sharp graphics, nice and simple design...

But the critics are SO RIGHT--the dodgy camera and sluggish jointing controls make the game more of a chore than a delight.

I look forward to a sequel that's fun in addition to cute.

Top Bottom