• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Origin Client is Getting a Facelift

Available now in beta, you can opt in by choosing the beta build in your Origin client's settings, reboot Origin it will update.

Pics:

FW6DVgt.jpg

2Sgc29W.jpg

dRPL7OS.jpg

Z0dJzjp.jpg

ELyz5Lv.jpg

Put me into EMEA region if old.

Regginator

Looks a lot like GOG Galaxy. Which I don't mind, it's a simple intuitive design. Though I've never disliked Origin for its design, the current one works fine for me. The thing I dislike the most about Origin is how frequently games just refuse to start. Trying tons of troubleshoots won't work, but then one day it'll miraculously work.

Never understood the Origin hate. The client performs so well and now it looks nice too. I wish Valve would follow, Steam feels so sluggish.

Pejo

Honestly that looks better than the steam client. That reminds me, I still haven't installed/tried out the latest Dragon Age.

Origin isn't even bad nowadays you guys. They give you free games and DLC on the regular with their "On the House" program, they have a better refund policy than Steam, pretty excellent customer service, and Origin Access's free game library is actually pretty great (BF4 + all DLC!).

I'm glad they are updating this now, because I'm going to be using Origin a lot when Battlefield 1 comes out.

Durante

I've been using "Origin" since it was called "EA Download Manager", but I feel like the majority of updates since then have gone into design rather than features.

Meanwhile over at Valve, the HTML-driven Steam interface continues to stagnate.
The Steam client might not be a looker, but it has a large number of features that all competing systems are currently missing. It's also basically two clients at this point, for distinct use cases - the BPM client and the desktop client.

Duxxy3

I didn't hate the look of origin. I hated the it was yet another store, service, friends list that I have to deal with.

Justinh

I think I have quite a few, though several were freebies. I use the "favorite" tab to have a smaller selection of games I play regularly (BF4 etc.)
Yeah, I got quite a few too, but there are quite a few free games here too (as well as key redeems that came with steam copies of games).
I've been playing a lot of SimCity lately, and it makes me really want to buy Citites: Skylines.
edit: I've not gone into the beta. I don't think I want to.

tuxfool

Banned
I think I have quite a few, though several were freebies. I use the "favorite" tab to have a smaller selection of games I play regularly (BF4 etc.)

I wasn't really being serious. Mostly snark.

Holy hot damn that's a nice UI I hope it is not using HTML/JS as a back end.

AFAIK Origin uses the Qt toolkit. It is possible that the UI is designed in QML which is similarly declarative to JS.

ghibli99

Totally unrelated to the topic at hand, but as I was scrolling over the image, the mouse pointer in the picture and mine got "swapped" in my head, and threw me for a loop for a split-second there. LOL

Looks great. Might get me to pop it open more often. I wish Valve would modernize Steam. Sucks that the number one platform looks like it's stuck in 2006.

TheRed

Origin and Uplay have both been getting pretty nice, I've never understood the hate. I always like loading them up and how it's easier on the eyes than Steam.

True that steam skins make it look nicer but it doesn't stop all the bugginess and crashing I get especially with steam controller stuff and VR my issues have gotten more frequent.

Obviously these don't even have those functionalities but I still like them for what they are. My friend refuses to buy Battlefield 1 because he's a complete steam fanboy and that's what really bothers me.

Top Bottom