• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Origins & World Of Horizon Zero Dawn - New Gameinformer Interview

Amir0x

Banned
In an interview with Kinda Funny Games, Shuhei mentioned that they focused on the gameplay first. They wanted to nail the "minute to minute" gameplay experience before expanding on the other aspects. He also said the game has been in a playable state for over a year now. So I don't think we have to worry about that.

If anything I am a bit more "concerned" how in depth the RPG/Story elements tie in to everything. I want this game to be everything that it promises to be. I'll keep my expectations muted so I can be blown away when I finally get to play in next year. Can't wait!

I find the story concept intriguing, but I have no faith in videogame narratives. So I tend to have low or no expectations for any game that comes out regarding their story, this way I'm never disappointed.

EGM1966

It's like they took "get everything right" pills one morning. I hope the final game really lives up to the reveal and initial info.

Amir0x

Banned
It's like they took "get everything right" pills one morning. I hope the final game really lives up to the reveal and initial info.

I hope PS4 owners reward them for their efforts if it is good as it seems. New IPs are hard, this one is obviously expensive and they've been working on it for years, and if we want more new directions, we need to buy these sorts of games. I hope it sells a few million if it turns out good.

EGM1966

I hope PS4 owners reward them for their efforts if it is good as it seems. New IPs are hard, this one is obviously expensive and they've been working on it for years, and if we want more new directions, we need to buy these sorts of games. I hope it sells a few million if it turns out good.
Yeah I love new IP so as long as results are decent I'll get it. I'd like to see them score big as ultimately KZ felt like a yoke around their necks.

While the setting feels like an old SF trope I love it because I love classic old SF tropes. The fact it's a light action RPG with what sounds like a strong back story feels just right for this game and their focus.

Hm. I'm hoping he just misspoke and meant to say Oblivion and Skyrim, because Morrowind absolutely did not have enemy scaling.
It does have level scaling, though. Just not enemy level scaling.

Certain enemy types or the amount of enemies that spawn will differ based on your level, as well as what you get out of a chest.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah I love new IP so as long as results are decent I'll get it. I'd like to see them score big as ultimately KZ felt like a yoke around their necks.

While the setting feels like an old SF trope I love it because I love classic old SF tropes. The fact it's a light action RPG with what sounds like a strong back story feels just right for this game and their focus.

I just think based on what I've seen and heard so far that their vision seems all-encompassing, like they've thought out every element in depth. It really seems like they're taking a gameplay first approach, even though the visuals ain't nothing to snooze at either.

It does have level scaling, though. Just not enemy level scaling.

Certain enemy types or the amount of enemies that spawn will differ based on your level, as well as what you get out of a chest.

Well, the quote was specifically related to enemy level scaling. But even so, Morrowind is a poor example of an open world game that has problems with level scaling. All the scaling you're referring to is extremely mild compared to pretty much every other modern open world rpg. It was a bad example to use.

On a lighter note, I consider the fact that apparently Horizon won't have scaling enemies a major plus, and the rest of the interview got me even more hyped than before!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I had some fun and looked back at my thoughts about this new IP, and based on what they said and have shown I'm pretty happy with what they are promising, based on what I was imagining.

April 14th, 2013:
Guerilla Games is a two-team studio and has been working on a new IP as well.

Let's hope it is a western style RPG with Dragon's Dogma inspiration as that has great combat.

September 9th, 2014:
Similarly I wonder if GG is making a monster hunter type game. That's a genre that is very underrepresented by European and American developers and usually target handheld systems.

Based on such little information the only thing that goes against that is the lead female character, as opposed to mostly multiplayer and create-a-character.

Vasili2K38

I don't think I can actually get more excited for a game. A new IP, Monster Hunter inspiration, huge explorable world... RPG. I'm in heaven.

Can't be quoted enough. Exactly my thoughts. And then I'm a sucker for robotic designs, specially the ones imitating animals, so this game has me very excited.

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
There are several of my PS4 friends following this on another forum. Personally I had a good time with Killzone: Shadow Fall and thought GG did an outstanding job with the overall look....the lighting and details were impressive.

I think GG doesn't want to spill a lot right now because the game is a ways off and more or less letting a few pages of the story and game play out here and there to keep our interest.

That said I really wish there was a way they could incorporate single player mode overlapping each other...in other words while in your game another player could possibly be in the same area. And maybe take down one of these large mechanical beasts, take what you need and even trade items among other players.

From what I've seen...this games screams for a trading, selling barter system among players and posts. The possibilities of a commerce system in this game is endless.

Loudninja

There are several of my PS4 friends following this on another forum. Personally I had a good time with Killzone: Shadow Fall and thought GG did an outstanding job with the overall look....the lighting and details were impressive.

I think GG doesn't want to spill a lot right now because the game is a ways off and more or less letting a few pages of the story and game play out here and there to keep our interest.

That said I really wish there was a way they could incorporate single player mode overlapping each other...in other words while in your game another player could possibly be in the same area. And maybe take down one of these large mechanical beasts, take what you need and even trade items among other players.

From what I've seen...this games screams for a trading, selling barter system among players and posts. The possibilities of a commerce system in this game is endless.
Nah this just isnt the type of game they are going for.

Top Bottom