• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The paint on my walls is grotesque, what do you suggest?

badblue

It's time for a long over due repainting of my home office.

Look at it:
bp2lfsV.jpg

Disgusting.

The rest of it isn't much better and one wall isn't peach. It's orange.

I've been wanting to repaint for a few years but I've been putting it off because I just haven't had the energy/money to do the job.

What does gaf suggest?

The trend seems to be off white (I like Alabaster Sherwin Williams) for all the walls except one, and making that an accent wall (Iron Ore sherwin williams is a popular color)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like beige or a warm brown for my walls. I don’t like white walls or at least for the majority of the room. I prefer dark colors except we painted a bathroom dark navy blue and it shows every single dust particle. It’s awful. We have an orange accent wall. It works well with what we got at Sherwin Williams. If you’re sick of the orange, get rid of it for good. Don’t either bother with leaving an orange accent wall.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah beige is the choice to make. Maybe if one wall is longer make that a slight lighter tone. Makes the room look larger.

My advice: lick the paint for an hour (no breaks in between) and make your choice.

Also what Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd said.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Take a color you like and mix it 50% with white. Then paint some on your wall to see how it looks dry. By experience even light colors at thr store look darker after applied. Mix with white to soften it

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Are those water streaks on the top of the paint? if so you will want to prime with some KILLZ.
I would recommend that anyway with how dark the orange is or you may end up doing multiple coats of whatever you paint over it with.

badblue

Back with some daylight pictures.

8CXi4s0.jpg

eVvLlNG.jpg

Yes, there is streaking. It's been there forever and is from a mix of humidity and smoke (candles) from the pervious owners.

My current plan is to wash the walls with TSP and then throw on a couple of coats of a stain-blocking primer before going over with some color.

DGrayson DGrayson and AJUMP23 AJUMP23 got some good ideas but I think I need to paint a wall white to properly visualize the colors.

Jinzo Prime

It's time for a long over due repainting of my home office.

Look at it:
bp2lfsV.jpg

Disgusting.

The rest of it isn't much better and one wall isn't peach. It's orange.

I've been wanting to repaint for a few years but I've been putting it off because I just haven't had the energy/money to do the job.

What does gaf suggest?
What does the floor look like? The color of the floor and furniture is going to impact what colors you should put on the walls.

here is a neutral grey should work with anything: Link.

badblue

How big is the space?
around 12 x 8.

Take acid, they'll look much better in an hour or so.
That 70S Show Idea GIF

hat does the floor look like? The color of the floor and furniture is going to impact what colors you should put on the walls.
Floors looks pretty close to this, but with 50 years of wear and tear.
iu

And other then the book case show in one pic, my desk is black and the rest is a hodge-podge of second hand stuff.

Take off and Nuke the site from orbit. It is the only way to be sure.
You might be on to something.

iu

Beige is not part of this conversation. I want my office to look better not worse.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Have you fixed the humidity issue? Does your loft (i assume the loft is above this room) have proper insulation?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You should paint it some shade of bad blue, badblue badblue

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Get one of those virtual paint apps, take a photo of the room, and you can virtually change the color to see what it might look like without actually repainting.

Then narrow it down and pick a color. Maybe throw in an accent wall, if that's your thing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Take a color you like and mix it 50% with white. Then paint some on your wall to see how it looks dry. By experience even light colors at thr store look darker after applied. Mix with white to soften it
100% true.

I remember going through a million of those free colour tabs. Finally picked some and a painter did my old place. It was way darker and bolder than those paint strip samples I got. For my recent home, I purposely picked some shades and purposely edged it a few shades lighter. Worked out perfect.

Not sure why, but the real painted walls seem darker than those colour strips.

Synless

Are you worried about the size perception of the room? If not, Seaworthy by Sherwin is great.

if your worried about perception of size, go with Hinting Blue or Sea Salt.

Humdinger

I do it the old-fashioned way. I go to the paint store, browse through the brochures and selections, and pick out a couple dozen colors that I think I might like. I take the little paint squares home and hold them up to my wall. I pick the one I think I'd like the best. Personally, I like light pastel shades (e.g., light yellow, light peach), but everyone is different. Pick a color that, when you look at it, it makes you feel good (relaxed, uplifted). Changing the color of a room makes a big difference.

badblue

I do it the old-fashioned way. I go to the paint store, browse through the brochures and selections, and pick out a couple dozen colors that I think I might like. I take the little paint squares home and hold them up to my wall. I pick the one I think I'd like the best.

My wife and I did that when we first moved in for the living room and the bed room. 6 years later not much has changed. What we want to do is different colors for different spaces because when we first moved in together, the house we rented had each room painted a different color. The living room was red, hallway was green, kitchen was dark blue and so on.

We painted the hallway a lime green.

MovdTMq.jpg

iu

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
christ. Just paint it white or some lighter color.
And I can feel the moisture. Dry the room..

...that lime green is not lime. It's a bitch ass green green. Sorry man :p

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bed room. It's supposed to be sandstone. Two tones.

TygImvo.jpg
aG13R8p.jpg

My bed/pillow is against the darker side.

Top Bottom