• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Perfect Game Store -OR- What's Wrong With Gamestop

AMUSIX

Ok, every once in a while, a “retail bitching” thread pops up here, mostly filled with people’s experiences at EB, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. What I really haven’t seen are any discussions on how a brick-and-mortar store should be. Granted, it’s easier to just complain about aggressive membership and magazine sales, unknowledgeable employees, and used-sold-as-new games, but what does everyone here see as ideal game store policies?

Heck, taking that to the extreme, what would be considered the perfect game store? Of course, the answer may very well be “EB’s layout is perfect” or “BestBuy’s demo area is excellent” but I’d like to see what people think.

I’ll be forward and say this is more than just casual curiosity. I am currently in the process of opening my own store, and am trying to improve on existing designs and practices. While I’ve run a game store in the past, I can’t claim I’m any retail wiz, I’m just a gamer who has raised the funding to start a small dream project. So, yeah, I’m seeking other opinions, might catch something I’ve overlooked, and generally just want to make the best damn game store I can (within budget).

Of course, if this thread turns into another "retail bitching" thread, I guess that's ok, too (as long as I can glean something from the complaints).

Better trade in rates, you can still make money and not royally f*ck your customers out of every cent you can.

Edit: Don't ruin the box/manual/disc with god awful stickers that are a pain in the ass to take off. Put out one display case with the stickers then keep all the actual cases and discs in the back, and if it's sold out, take it off the rack until you get another. Something, anything that doesn't involve stickers.

It would make more financial sense for a corporate retailer to have better trade in rates than a privately owned one. It's the Walmart strategy.

The perfect game store:

1) Sells games for bargain prices
2) Only lets you buy games if you know what they're called, and has no shelves. Has a touch screen electronic catalog for searching.
3) Buys games for 75% of original price
4) Has every console and game from retro to the present, as well as surplus parts and other junk that you can get for really cheap
5) Gives you a 10% discount for every extra game you buy at the same time
6) Does not carry shovelware. At all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A perfect game store to me is:

- Online only
- Guarantees same-day delivery of pre-ordered games
- Amazon Super Saver-style shipping or just free shipping period
- Drops prices on new games in accordance with brick and mortar stores
- Has an effective price-match and price-protection system

- Has a limited editorial section that highlights indie or underappreciated games.
- Has integration with Metacritic/Gamerankings rather than ****ing shitty customer reviews
- Has placeholder release dates or tentative prices clearly marked rather than EB-style "Oh yeah, it's coming out on 10/01/07".

- Allows me to track my previous purchases in terms of frequency and dollar amounts
- Allows me to skip at-door delivery confirmation in exchange for giving up lost items claims to the mercy of the post office; I hate it when the post office / a courier "tries to deliver an item" and despite the fact I'm sitting in my living room with the blinds open visible to anyone delivering mail, I somehow am never home.
- Amazon-style "recommend me a game" feature

I don't trade in games so I don't give a **** how they treat trades.

Klotera

Honestly, I liked it when they were still Babbages back around 96-97 or so. It was a clean, well-laid out game store (at least near me). The clerks were knowledgeable, but not pushy. Used games had their place in separate stores that focused on used games. I think that's all I ask for.

Awntawn

Gamestop is a ****ing pillar of light in the darkness compared to the hellspawn that is Play&Trade. One of those opened near where I live recently, so I went to check it out. P&T is one of those places that unwraps every new game, keeps the discs behind the counter, and puts the empty cases on the shelves. On top of that, when they sell you a game they slap a silver sticker to seal it, and when you peel it off it leaves "VOID" markings all over the box. Not to mention the price tag sticker is also stuck directly on the box...

I was browsing around the shop and saw SotC used, so I figured I might as well jump into that party late, but they couldn't find the disc and said they'd give me a call when they did. After they did and I went to pick it up, after I paid for the thing they were like, "What happened was that we forgot that it was in one of our demo machines."

Never went back there again. It's 5 minutes from my apartment walking, but I'd rather drive 15 minutes to Gamestop. Did I mention they demo their 360's and PS3's on HDTVs with composite cables? You can see the yellow white red shit coming out of the side... absolute embarassment.

Phthisis

I remember when there was a FuncoLand near my house, and they had 3 demo stations: a SNES, a PS1, and a Saturn. If you asked them, they would swap out whatever game was in that station with something from their used inventory and let you try it out. I always thought that was pretty awesome.

Do that.

qirex

I've had my local EB [which I liked] slowly transform into the ghetto-barnyard that is the modern gamestop and it's been pretty simple overall. The biggest problem is that they've crammed every square inch of floor space and wall space with something for sale which makes the store cramped, harder to keep clean and more annoying to shop at.

The fact that all the good employees quit didn't help either.
Stumpokapow said:
A perfect game store to me is:
*stuff*
The important question is would you be willing to pay extra money for that level of service?

Anno

Phthisis said:
I remember when there was a FuncoLand near my house, and they had 3 demo stations: a SNES, a PS1, and a Saturn. If you asked them, they would swap out whatever game was in that station with something from their used inventory and let you try it out. I always thought that was pretty awesome.

Do that.

FuncoLand was the shit. EBstop is alright, but I despise getting bugged about preordering every.****ing.game in the entire store. If they didn't have the Edge card thing I probably wouldn't shop there.

As it stands it's used-games only. New games you can almost always get at better prices at other places.

Ace 8095

I have found an amazing store at the Daytona Beach Flea Market called the Video Game Dungeon. They sell used games that date back to Atari at good prices, let you trade in games for cash, and let you play any used game before you buy at one of their demo stations. They also never sell games for MSRP. Console games are usually 6 bucks off MSRP, and handheld range form 3 to 4. Basically the store is as close to perfect as a store can be. They have the lowest prices around, huge selection of new and used games, give you the option to trade in games and systems for cash (I traded in my DS fat for $70 cash after the DS lite was out), and let you try before you buy. They also don't try to peddle off magazines and discount cards. If only they were a retail chain.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
qirex said:
I've had my local EB [which I liked] slowly transform into the ghetto-barnyard that is the modern gamestop and it's been pretty simple overall. The biggest problem is that they've crammed every square inch of floor space and wall space with something for sale which makes the store cramped, harder to keep clean and more annoying to shop at.

The fact that all the good employees quit didn't help either.

This as well.

All of my local EBs are WAY overloaded with stuff. They've just got too many sections:
- Used PSP, New PSP
- UMDs
- Used DVDs
- Used PC, New PC
- Used Gamecube, New Gamecube
- Used GBA, new GBA
- Used PS1 on a trolley (none of these games have manuals or cases and most are things like NFL 98)
- Accessories
- EA Sports trolley
- Used PS2, New PS2
- Used XBOX, new XBOX (these sections are HUGE! A quarter of the store should NOT be XBOX; the system is dead)
- Used Wii, new Wii
- Used PS3, new PS3
- Used Blu-Ray, new Blu-Ray
- Used DS, new DS
- Used 360, new 360
- Promotional / upcoming items
- PS2, Gamecube, XBOX, Wii, 360, PSP, DS, and PS3 demo units.

And we're talking about a store that's about 300-500 square feet. It's so crowded and cramped in most of the stores that it's almost claustrophobic. It'd be much nicer if there was a major liquidation in last-gen stuff, both because lowered prices would intice me to buy a good deal and because it'd be possible to navigate the store.

one major thing wrong with Gamestop is when I see someone return a game, then they go wrap it up and sell it as new again.

the perfect game store to me (that isnt totally insane) would let you also rent games from them and they sell tons of classic games. It is hard to find any game for systems before PS1.

I dont know if its still there, but there used to be an EB games that was a long drive away, but that place was amazing. They let you demo PC games there, PC GAMES! They also had tons of old games to buy and would give you any of the cardboard standup game ad things if you wanted them.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I wish video game retailers would look at how Guitar Center handles their retail stores.

Guitar Center is really well organized in how the have different departments and the experience is very efficent. I can't stand how EB games just has a single counter to handle everything. Guitar Center has on one side of the store a single devoted counter handling all the guitars new and used. Then on the other side a seperate counter dedicated to selling guitar strings and electronic gizmos.

My suggestion is go to a Guitar Center and absorb how they handle things, and maybe you'll get some good ideas on how you can provide better service than EB games.

BigJonsson said:
Futureshop FTW!

Ugh, any futureshop that i have visited takes a back seat to best buy and both fall behind any EB store when it comes to game selection. Heck, theres a futureshop 5 minutes away from me but i loath to go there because the only way i can get the games that have already been released for 3 or 4 days is by checking their stock and badgering their employees because those games probably wont be on the shelf until the next week.

Honestly i don't get the hate for gamestop/eb stores, i have frequented one for the past two or three years and its probably the best gaming store that i have been in for a long time. Used games, no matter how much some people might hate them are an excelent way to pick up some old games that i missed out on for, usually, a good price. Plus the manager there was rather helpful when i bought a wii there.

What makes a good mortar store is that they have a wide selection of games,peripherals and accessories(hardware) for all gaming platforms. Knowledgeable and helpful employees.

But personally id say the best way to shop if online as long as shipping is quick and not some insane price like $15 USD that EB charges to ship to canada.

fernoca

The thing is that most of the complaints towards EB/Gamestop..are...baseless or sometimes idiotic.

"My used game had labels on it!!"..."Their last new game was open!!"...
But come on, if you're buying used games..don't expect games in pristine condition with no damages..because in many cases the games even have the names of the original owner written all over it...so don't complain about buying used games..that have lables and prices, when you know you're buying an used game..and if the difference of price with the new one is not much, then buy the new one..

The thing is that people complain over here..but don't do anything over there..
Many seem to forget that they, as customers, you can "demand" stuff...and when I say "demand" I'm not saying: insult the employees, scream, push magazine racks, ask for the manager every 3 seconds...but..just being polite...

If they are trying to sell you the "famous" last copy of a new game..then ask if they have any others in stock..if they don't, then ask to check the overall quality of everything (no labels, no scratches on the discs, overall in mint condition) [if still not satisfied..just leave]...the same with used games..you can ask to check the games before buying and in the case they put the game in the bag without showing it to you (or you don't notice) you can ask for a refund and specify the reasons, because you (as a customer)..is just your right (if you're not satisfied)..

But the thing is that the complains (in many cases) come from people that just don't want to talk ..anything..just give me the game..and bye...then come here and complain that Gamestop sucks, when in the end...Gamestop didn't forced them to spend the money....Gamestop didn't took the money out of their wallets...

Is the same with every store...

tebunker

Banned
Awntawn said:
Gamestop is a ****ing pillar of light in the darkness compared to the hellspawn that is Play&Trade. One of those opened near where I live recently, so I went to check it out. P&T is one of those places that unwraps every new game, keeps the discs behind the counter, and puts the empty cases on the shelves. On top of that, when they sell you a game they slap a silver sticker to seal it, and when you peel it off it leaves "VOID" markings all over the box. Not to mention the price tag sticker is also stuck directly on the box...

I was browsing around the shop and saw SotC used, so I figured I might as well jump into that party late, but they couldn't find the disc and said they'd give me a call when they did. After they did and I went to pick it up, after I paid for the thing they were like, "What happened was that we forgot that it was in one of our demo machines."

Never went back there again. It's 5 minutes from my apartment walking, but I'd rather drive 15 minutes to Gamestop. Did I mention they demo their 360's and PS3's on HDTVs with composite cables? You can see the yellow white red shit coming out of the side... absolute embarassment.

I wonder how much leverage each P&T franchise owner has in terms of running their store. I mean, they don't have to use such piss poor methods, but I wonder if it's just because a lot of their franchisees are more entrepeneurs than people who want to sell games...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Japanese game stores are near perfect to me.

Here are the major things they do that I absolutely love:

- If you sell a game to the store, they will give you cash, and A LOT, especially if it's a new game.
- A points system that actually works! Every time I buy something, I get points on my card. Those points can be converted into cash off on ANY PRODUCT IN THE STORE.
- Preordering a game actually gets you a discount on the product. It's usually only 500 yen, but it makes the difference when you're looking to pick up the game.

If you can devise a point system that doesn't exist to **** me and every other customer over, you have a winner on your hands.

AMUSIX

Secks4Food said:
Better trade in rates, you can still make money and not royally f*ck your customers out of every cent you can.

Edit: Don't ruin the box/manual/disc with god awful stickers that are a pain in the ass to take off.
Better trade-in rates I’d love to give, either I give better rates, or, preferably, I sell used games for lower prices (or a mix of both). Ultimately, it comes down to profit. While I’m not as profit focused as the chains, I’ll still have to offset the cost of buying used games that don’t sell with the sales of other used titles.

As for ruining games with stickers…hell no. I’m still trying to figure out how to price games without sticking anything to them.

Odysseus said:
the perfect game store is any store that doesn't care one bit about selling games
I agree. Unfortunately I won’t be able to last long if I don’t sell any.

Death_Born said:
6) Does not carry shovelware. At all.
Most of your points are truly fantastical (but would make a great store) but the above one is something I’d love to do. Just worry that it’ll turn people away from the store simply because I’m not carrying their oh-so-wanted copy of Barnyard.

Mr. Spinnington said:
Perfect game store gives free games to all the boys and girls.
Hmmm, perhaps I can combine Mr. Spinnington’s idea with Death Born’s and give away shovelware. Then again, that might just end up making me feel dirty.

Phthisis said:
If you asked them, they would swap out whatever game was in that station with something from their used inventory and let you try it out. I always thought that was pretty awesome.

Do that.
Heh, that was design-element number 1. I firmly believe that game purchases should be informed purchases. When possible, that means letting the buyer try the game first. From past experience, I know that this runs the risk of becoming a cheap arcade, but I’ve got no problem telling someone ‘no’ when I need to.

qirex said:
The important question is would you be willing to pay extra money for that level of service?
Most people won’t. Which is why I’m struggling to balance service and style while still remaining competitively priced.

Defuser said:
Tons and tons of magazine racks to push over.
You know, I may have to set up a magazine rack right near the door, just in case any gaffers come in and get upset at something.

Brimstone said:
My suggestion is go to a Guitar Center and absorb how they handle things, and maybe you'll get some good ideas on how you can provide better service than EB games.
I like Guitar Center’s retail design as well. Unfortunately, due to space and cost, I can only have one counter. However, I’m trying to get a ‘remote register’ system set up. Basically a hand-held register that can take credit card purchases anywhere in the store.
As for GC’s expertise, I just hope I get such qualified people applying for a job.

thetrin said:
If you can devise a point system that doesn't exist to **** me and every other customer over, you have a winner on your hands.
Now this might be a great idea. Thank you very much. A good points system would work if I can figure out how to do it without making the customer fill out any forms, get any ‘stamps’ or carry any cards.

Thank you all for these thoughts/ideas. Really helps in showing me where I need to focus. Also made it very clear that I can't duck carrying used titles. Was going to replace the used section with an import one, but two things kept coming up. First, there's more profit in used, and second, I can't find a good import distributor. Still, though I know it'll be unpopular here, I'll only be able to carry this generation and last generation used (space and budget concerns).

Don't buy back any title someone wants to sell. There's no reason to have 10 copies of Hour of Victory on your shelf. If you already have like 3 used copies of something, don't buy it back.

Since you own the store, the only rules you have to follow are your own.

My perfect game store has a liquor license, hooters girls selling the games, and a big screen with the Vs. game of the day hooked up in front of some seating. Guitar Hero, Street Fighter, Smash Brothers, Super Puzzle fighter, who cares.

That way you can mark down the cost of games, mark up the trade in values (when appropriate) and still have nice margins from the booze, and guaranteed repeat clientele.

Think of a smaller dave and buster's that sold console games and no food, and you're close.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Another thing about Guitar Center I like is the community board where people post "drummer wanted for a band", and flyers for bands playing in local bars.

Have a similar community board section and encourage people to post their online gamer tags, have clan recruiting flyers, and what ever else fits in with the gaming culture of the store.

Yeah it is kind of frustrating working with employees who lie about a game thats out or is coming out just because they dont know the real answer. I don't usually say anything but I should. Most of the employees at my store turn to me and ask me for the answer so that's better than nothing.

And we don't sell games that were opened and returned as new ones. That's stupid. At least, we're not supposed to.

Online is the perfect way to shop now.

Non-judgemental sales staff, in any shape or form.

I've never, ever had a problem selling, trading in, or purchasing a game before the big merger. Sadly, now I only have one brick-and-mortar that I buy games 'n such at. Many others have had so much turn around, and the ones they have in them working now are some kind of wierd supercasual-type that demeans "hardcore" gaming choices (instead of the old Hi Fidelity-esque hardcore-type demeaning casual gaming choices). I once got snickered at for pre-ordering FFXII cuz "I was one of those type-game players". FFXII!!! The most popular, mainstream RPG series out there. Buh.

I'd also like a store where games ain't busted into. It's as if they rifle thru all of them or something. No more Sold-As-New.

No chopping and dropping Used games. No, a sleeve with "Panzer Dragoon Orta" written on it is not worth 25$.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One thing I forgot about Japanese game stores: They are VERY choosy about what they take in for trade. If it's scratched at all, or if the manual is bent, they won't take it.

This can work against you, but here's a good middle ground that an import store in Boulder, CO does.

If you are missing pieces of game, you get less trade in value, but it also costs less to buy for the consumer. Prices are not computer set, but set via the discretion of the person pricing. Among a stack of the same game, prices may vary from $10-$35 depending on the quality.

soco

Secks4Food said:

that's a big one for me. i have no problems buying used games, but when they're 5$ cheaper than retail (and retail is 60$), then i'd much rather have a new one. also if i can find decent in-shape ones on ebay, i typically just pass up the ones in-store as i know they're overpriced significantly.

i'd like to be able to check what's in shop without actually driving down to the store and possibly pay online and pick up in store. there's lots of shop software that can do things like that. even check the number in stock and arrival dates and all that. probably would be a huge plus to parents -- their children could pick their software, parents could review the card and enter their credit car, and just pick them up.

i'd at least like an attempt at organization of the games. i know it's difficult during the day with people picking them up and putting them in other sections, but when there's a wall of ps2 games and i'm looking for one specific title, it's a pain in the ass if they're not organized.

thetrin said:
One thing I forgot about Japanese game stores: They are VERY choosy about what they take in for trade. If it's scratched at all, or if the manual is bent, they won't take it.

This can work against you, but here's a good middle ground that an import store in Boulder, CO does.

If you are missing pieces of game, you get less trade in value, but it also costs less to buy for the consumer. Prices are not computer set, but set via the discretion of the person pricing. Among a stack of the same game, prices may vary from $10-$35 depending on the quality.
Sounds like my kind of store.

Honestly Amazon.com works just fine for me.

No pay upfront pre-orders, global selection, decent prices on used games, and when I want to I can sell a game for a decent price and get paid out in Amazon gift certs which allow me to go right back and buy something else.

Oh, and I don't have to deal wtih under-paid clerks that don't care, obnoxious teenagers, crying kids, clueless parents, or gang-bangers just loitering around.

Everything I've pre-ordered for the Fall so far I've done through Amazon.

soco

maybe as something different, it could be possible to set the shovelware aside from the highest rated games :) SoTC goes on the good shelf, Generic Film Game goes on the crap shelf.

i also wouldn't mind an organization by genre for the systems with tons of software if the shovelware shelves don't work out. but that's just me.

MechDX

SatelliteOfLove said:
No chopping and dropping Used games. No, a sleeve with "Panzer Dragoon Orta" written on it is not worth 25$.

If GS/EB would listen to one complaint this would be it. If the customer doesnt have AT THE LEAST the original gamecase dont let them trade it in. Seriously, the only people who trade games without cases are soccer mom's whose kids are brats and thieves.

I have one Gamestop in particular(Humble TX) that will have at least 2-3 copies of a new release game within 5-7 days used on their shelf with the white covers and Sharpie writing.

I mean COME ON!

el Diablo

Banned
fernoca said:
The thing is that most of the complaints towards EB/Gamestop..are...baseless or sometimes idiotic.

"My used game had labels on it!!"..."Their last new game was open!!"...
But come on, if you're buying used games..don't expect games in pristine condition with no damages..because in many cases the games even have the names of the original owner written all over it...so don't complain about buying used games..that have lables and prices, when you know you're buying an used game..and if the difference of price with the new one is not much, then buy the new one..

The thing is that people complain over here..but don't do anything over there..
Many seem to forget that they, as customers, you can "demand" stuff...and when I say "demand" I'm not saying: insult the employees, scream, push magazine racks, ask for the manager every 3 seconds...but..just being polite...

If they are trying to sell you the "famous" last copy of a new game..then ask if they have any others in stock..if they don't, then ask to check the overall quality of everything (no labels, no scratches on the discs, overall in mint condition) [if still not satisfied..just leave]...the same with used games..you can ask to check the games before buying and in the case they put the game in the bag without showing it to you (or you don't notice) you can ask for a refund and specify the reasons, because you (as a customer)..is just your right (if you're not satisfied)..

But the thing is that the complains (in many cases) come from people that just don't want to talk ..anything..just give me the game..and bye...then come here and complain that Gamestop sucks, when in the end...Gamestop didn't forced them to spend the money....Gamestop didn't took the money out of their wallets...

Is the same with every store...

Valid points outside of how Gamestop sells their "new" games that aren't new releases. If it's new leave it in the wrapper. The way they handle these games is the main reason i don't buy anything that Gamestop claims is "new" unless it's right around release day and in the glass case still. You shouldn't have to check the condition of something that's supposed to be new, that's the reason you're paying a premium over a used copy. Moot point really, Gamestop is the last resort (CC, BB, Frys, Target, Walmart, Sears, to name a few) for me if i'm looking for a brand new copy of a game that's been out awhile, and even then i'll only pay the used price for it if im forced to buy it there.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Trying to be relatively realistic here, my perfect gamestore would at least hit the following points:

1. Keep a clean store layout that is optimized for keeping browsers of used games and non-recent releases separated from the brand new titles and recent releases. Most people I know either want to get in and out quickly to pick up the newest thing, or spend a significant amount of time sifting through the back stock to find a particular title or compare prices on used software to get the best deal. Also, don't spew accessories haphazardly around the store. Keep them all in one damn place, arranged by platform.

2. Have a predictable system for discounting new releases as the weeks go by. Maybe have a cut-off period, like 90 days, after which all new releases receive a particular discount percentage so you /know/ if you can live without the game for a set period, you can be just pick it up then for the discount.

3. Do not ass-rape on resell prices of "hot" or "rare" games. Be agnostic about used pricing and leave it up to the customers to be diligent enough to check regularly and catch a used copy of a desirable title. The fact that Mario Power Tennis (GC) is still $45 bucks USED at most Gamestops is an absurdity.

4. Do not pester me about pre-orders unless you have a down to earth, brass tacks incentive like the previously mentioned discount on pre-ordered games that some Japanese retailers offer. If I got five bucks off for pre-ordering of any title over, say, $30 - then yes fool, I would pre-order.

5. If you are a dedicated game store, order the shit the hardcore gamers want, because yes, they WILL buy it. Order those damn Gamecube component games from Nintendo. Keep funky adapters in stock, even if only a few at a time. Even better, sport, have a big damn catalog of stuff you can special order and a nice friendly sign up that says "if we don't keep it in stock, we'll have it for you in a week".

6. The mention of a community board is a fine idea. It's simple, and would require a tiny bit of brainpower and concern from the employees to monitor and keep free of spam and griefing (like obscene, fake "gamertag" postings).

7. Put the demo stations at the /back/ of the store, past /any/ products. I don't want to force my way through a crowd of kids or casual gamers huddled around Halo or the newest Madden at the front of the store. At one Gamestop in an indoor mall nearby, there is almost always a crowd of casual sports fans and little kids blocking the first 1/3rd of the store, because there's always a sports game in the 360 station and always something for the kids in the PS2 station.

8. Put up a board to /help/ the casuals and the parents. Seriously. Especially between October and Christmas. Even when the employees actually know what they're doing, they are distracted half the time during busy hours by having to explain the wheel over and over and over again to people who know nothing. So put a nice, big, white board up, naming the current gaming platforms, maybe with an example software case tacked to the board showing what the games each machine plays look like on the shelves. Put a reminder of what the ESRB ratings mean for age ranges. Have a little block for HDTV information and checkmarks for which system packages do, and don't, come with the cables required to get an HD picture on an HDTV. Note what memory cards are, etc.

Kevtones

Some of you don't seem to understand the concept of a business.

That said, Game Crazy is by the best gaming store by far.

Talladega Knight said:
Dodged that? You had to have turned in an application right? So didn't they dodge you?
I was interviewed and called. I was chosen for employment, and I got hired by a local hospital on the same day.

I dodged.

Don't assume.

U K Narayan said:
I was interviewed and called. I was chosen for employment, and I got hired by a local hospital on the same day.

I dodged.

Don't assume.
I'm not assuming, but you did have to turn in an application to get interviewed. Had you not been hired by the local hospital you would have worked at Gamestop. Thus, you didn't dodge working at Gamestop, you merely chose the better job.

AMUSIX said:
Most of your points are truly fantastical (but would make a great store) but the above one is something I’d love to do. Just worry that it’ll turn people away from the store simply because I’m not carrying their oh-so-wanted copy of Barnyard.

Hey, I have an idea. How about you offer some sort of "recommended games" section where you place games that have a high meta-score, and give a free shovelware game (or something cheap) to anyone who buys 2 or more at the same time? That way you'll be promoting the good stuff and getting rid of the bad at the same time?

Also, if you want some more realistic ideas, how about a "most anticipated" bulletin board?

Re: the points system, maybe you could make a computer database of customers and have a "points leaderboard" where the person with the most points gets 10% off all purchases???

japan3.gif

These are good ideas, keep em coming.

*Jots down community board*

I tend to sell most of my new games for PSWii60 $5 less than retail and I give probably anywhere between 20-50% more for trade-ins. Sorry if this all comes off sounding like a plug, but I'm just a small business so it's not like any of you guys would find me.

Unfortunatly my store was broken into last week so I'm trying to recover from a rather huge nasty setback. I probably should also set up that FAQ board...

Anyways, here's some of the other things I try to do.

-For every $20 dollars spend in my store you get entered into a weekly drawing for Gift Certificates

-We do tournaments nearly every month or so with cash prizes

-Wednesdays are buy 2 get 1 free on used games

-I try to carry some anime items like wall scrolls, posters, accessories, and figures

-Used games are $10 less than new retail

I also have a "Mulligan" program. If you buy a used game and don't like it (or beat it too quickly) bring it back within 3 days and switch it out for something else. Get a New game and don't like it, bring it back within 3 days and get the full value of what I'd sell it for as a used title.

Top Bottom