• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Perfect World Density of Deus Ex Mankind Divided

samoilaaa

this game was so awsome , it has a mature story with well written characters , good level design , amazing environmental storytelling

its too bad that games like this one arnt appreciated , people dont buy it , we never get a sequel and then complain that the games are becoming simpler , handholding you the entire time , telling you where to go and what to do , doesnt make the player use his brain/imagination at all

while i was playing horizon forbidden west i couldnt believe that during a puzzle the protagonist gives you the solution , do these devs think we are all 10 years old ? you dont know where to go next ? dont worry you dont have to use ur brain just press a button and we will show you the way , but hey we give you cool monsters , amazing graphics and voice acting , what more do you need , and before someone says that nobody is forcing the player to use that feature it isnt posible ( or it is posible but it will be complete hell ) because the game isnt desinged this way , in a game like deus ex , dishonored , bioshock they use the enviornment to help you as long as you are paying attention ,i tried playing batman arkham knight without using my detective vision , it was imposible

i really like the fact that an indie game like gloomwood was recieved so well by the audience , it shows that some gamers still enjoy these type of games

The story takes itself too seriously. When you start inserting Judeo-Christian references into everything i can’t help but start to roll my eyes.

The story takes itself too seriously. When you start inserting Judeo-Christian references into everything i can’t help but start to roll my eyes.

Dialogue can be serious /goofy. It allows for role playing possibilities. It's not a depression simulator or anything.

Taking inspiration from epic stuff is good in my books. It means developers are aiming high.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I really enjoy myself whenever I go back to replay this game because the gameplay is is simply fantastic but the story is pretty forgettable. I finished it about 3 times and I genuinely wouldn't be able to tell you what it was even about.

I'm also not a big fan of the over the top visual style that tries really really hard to look futuristic, with every character dressed like a fashion model who's about to go out on a catwalk. The original Deus Ex had a way more believable style and I'd rather they just use that as inspiration instead of making the new games look like a generic sci-fi movie.

Doczu

I loved Prague. It was my first game on my PS4 Pro, didn't play it earlier and was blown away by the graphics. Yes, better looking games existed by then, but the attention to detail, all those beautifull older buildings merging with neon lights and glassed newly built offices - amazing.
Was a bit bummed the game wasn't as good and tight as HR (still very good!) and that the series was put on ice, but still enjoyed every minute with it.

basically:
we need more immersive sims
Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

MD is amazing. As said, the attention to detail. So much effort was put in. Shame we are not likely to get a sequel to it. Hopes for a new Deus Ex game tho.

Shut0wen

I must be only one that finds this game meh, it just doesnt have the same soul as human revolution, which imo is the best deus game, which is weird because the combat stealth and everything is a massive jump from human revolution, found Prague to be incredibly boring and dull, looked more like city 17

while i was playing horizon forbidden west i couldnt believe that during a puzzle the protagonist gives you the solution , do these devs think we are all 10 years old ? you dont know where to go next ?
This is incredibly fucking annoying, but yes it's very real that a lot of players have gotten so used to the handholding that even visual cues aren't enough and they expect to just coast through the experience.
A bunch of my friends are the same way, the objective/task could literally be displayed in the corners of the screen, but they don't fucking see it:
"uhh so where am I supposed to go now" "wait where are you" "why do they keep coming"
"bruv...there's an objective marker on your screen, also the objective is displayed top right, also there's an outline around me at all times..."

At the very least to could have the protag not say anything until like, at least a few minutes have passed; now you enter the puzzle and they immediately just tell you the solution...why even have a puzzle then? Resources wasted on some dumb shit nobody actually has to figure out.
I blame focus testing, it's always the dummies they listen too, because they want to reach as many people as possible, even those that don't like/care about puzzles.

Last edited:
The first Deus Ex is an amazing game, I'm glad I was there to experience it when it was released. I prefer System Shock 2, but both are excellent games.
Invisible War was garbage, I was kinda shocked at the drop in quality. I enjoyed Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, but they failed to reach the heights of the first game.
Original is still king, I wish it would get a Demon's Souls style remake. Don't touch the bones of the game, just give it an amazing visual overhaul and add some qol improvements.

samoilaaa

This is incredibly fucking annoying, but yes it's very real that a lot of players have gotten so used to the handholding that even visual cues aren't enough and they expect to just coast through the experience.
A bunch of my friends are the same way, the objective/task could literally be displayed in the corners of the screen, but they don't fucking see it:
"uhh so where am I supposed to go now" "wait where are you" "why do they keep coming"
"bruv...there's an objective marker on your screen, also the objective is displayed top right, also there's an outline around me at all times..."

At the very least to could have the protag not say anything until like, at least a few minutes have passed; now you enter the puzzle and they immediately just tell you the solution...why even have a puzzle then? Resources wasted on some dumb shit nobody actually has to figure out.
I blame focus testing, it's always the dummies they listen too, because they want to reach as many people as possible, even those that don't like/care about puzzles.
i remember i read a study in the early 00's , it was saying that playing video games can boost creativity and problem solving skills especially in children , thats not the case anymore , i understand some people with jobs and family that after a day of work and taking care of children they want 1 hour of having fun and chilling not solving puzzles , beating hard bosses or struggling to find the path forward , im 32 years old and i like those type of games too but when im on the weekend i play something more challenging

Last edited:
I must be only one that finds this game meh, it just doesnt have the same soul as human revolution, which imo is the best deus game, which is weird because the combat stealth and everything is a massive jump from human revolution, found Prague to be incredibly boring and dull, looked more like city 17

Human Revolution edges it maybe, but that's very high bar. MD still is incredible.

Play a bit longer. Prague looks different at night and regains it's atmosphere and colour at night, just as HR.

Cyberpunkd

You are not the only one, Human Revolution is to this day my only 100% game on Steam. I didn't even finish Mankind Divided, it went just too deep on the 'augmented people are suffering' part + as you mentioned Prague is meh as a hub.

Doczu

I mean, come on. Both games take place in Eastern Europe. And both are perfect depictions how life looks like here.

Capitals are pretty.

Most of the rest is City 17.

images

I dare you to pin point this city.
Pro tip: you can't. From the balkans to Leningrad and from Leningrad to Wladyvostok it just... All. Looks. The. Same

Last edited:

decisions

When Cyberpunk 2077 came out I refunded it and bought this for $5.

One of the best gaming decisions I have made. This game pulled me into its unique world right away with well-written dialogue, engaging gameplay, and rewarding exploration. I finished it and have been hoping for a sequel since.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Human Revolution edges it maybe, but that's very high bar. MD still is incredible.

Play a bit longer. Prague looks different at night and regains it's atmosphere and colour at night, just as HR.
Once i finish doom ill give it another go, tbf i get to the part where you get your first upgrade and never get past it but ill push ahead next time

Top Bottom