• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Piano Teacher - Foreign Film Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

olimario

Banned
THE PIANO TEACHER
http://www.kino.com/pianoteacher/

benoit_magimel2.jpg

I was perusing the foreign film aisle of my local Blockbuster and the film 'The Piano Teacher' caught my eye. I blindly rented it and with baseless excitement rushed home to discover a movie so disturbing it was captivating.

This French film is based around a very stern piano teacher (played by Isabelle Huppert) who is forced by routine to deal with her annoying and overbearing mother. She rebels against this by staying out after work and indulging in acts of disturbing sexual deviancy. In one scene she goes to an adult video store, rents a private viewing room, and sniffs the semen on the Kleenex in the waste basket.
During one of her recitals she moves and inspires a young man (played by Benoît Magimel) and he pursues private lessons with her. This sparks the chain of events that results in a sometimes hot, mostly tepid and awkward love affair between the two that reveals just how insane she is.

pno_6stl.jpg
pno_3stl.jpg

The cinematography is well done, but not over the top; never reaching too far to impress. It keeps you in the experience and focused on the goings-on of the movie.

The acting is so absolutely superb that during the entire film I felt like a voyeur more than a viewer. It felt as though I was watching the lives of these people rather than a movie with scripts and sets. Isabelle Huppert is an actress extraordinaire. Her performance was easily one of the best I've seen because of how well she pulled off all of the different emotions and dynamics of her character. She could go from insane to meek to stern in the blink of an eye and make it believable.

pno_7stl.jpg
pno_5stl.jpg

The plot was interesting and engaging with a fist clenching climax and a resolution that may at first seem shallow and abrupt, but was a great end to the conflict the movie presented. The movie showcases well the insanity and insecurity of a woman who seems so cultured and together at first. It's a movie that doesn't hit you with that fact all at once, either, but rather introduces it little by little as to keep you on your toes the entire time.

I'd hate for people to overlook this film. It walks on the right side of a fine line between boring and engaging and, despite some dragging scenes, is one of the better flicks I've seen in the last year. As far as character driven flicks go I'd put this well above something like the aurally and visually pleasing, ultimately lacking 'Garden State'.

BIG THUMBS UP
I'd imagine anyone who likes character driven films like 'Lost in Translation' or 'Garden State' will like this.

olimario

Banned
I'd like to add that the movie lacks music unless it's being played by somebody in the scene. It sounds a little annoying in theory, but is executed well. It's like ICO in that regard, I suppose.

Prospero

I remember this coming out in arthouse theaters a while ago, but it slipped by me for some reason. Thanks for the writeup--I'll give it a rental.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Ah, it's from Haneke. I didn't like Le Temps du loup and Funny Games (also his), but maybe this is something I will like. If I don't, I'll never watch a Haneke movie again.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Or you will walk away unimpressed, wanting your 1½ hour back and wonder why everybody was so hyped up about such trash.

FnordChan

The Piano Teacher falls into the category of execellent films that I never, never want to see again. By all means be sure to watch it once, but don't plan on buying the DVD or whatnot. It's harsh, brutal, depressing, and the final shot is astoundingly bleak.

FnordChan

olimario

Banned
FnordChan said:
The Piano Teacher falls into the category of execellent films that I never, never want to see again. By all means be sure to watch it once, but don't plan on buying the DVD or whatnot. It's harsh, brutal, depressing, and the final shot is astoundingly bleak.

FnordChan

That really nails it. It's a movie I'd hate for people to miss, but it's also a movie I couldn't recommend somebody buy. It's too disturbing, deep, and depressing. I felt the ending was perfect considering the conflict, but you're absolutely right when you say it's bleak. It is bleak at best.

madara

Sounds like Mystic River and nearly every dvd I put in my player in last month. Im so sick of hollywood bleakness I could puke. We need more flicks like Shawshank that still have some small hope for humanity.

olimario

Banned
madara said:
Sounds like Mystic River and nearly every dvd I put in my player in last month. Im so sick of hollywood bleakness I could puke. We need more flicks like Shawshank that still have some small hope for humanity.

That's been my major complaint with films, specifically the character driven ones, lately. Lost in Translation, Garden State, Mystic River, etc... are all overwhelmingly depressing films that show existance is bleak. Like you said, more films like Shawshank and Amelie are needed to show that life isn't all cobwebs.

border

Has anyone read the book? I would probably prefer to do that before seeing the movie. I even scrolled quickly past the pictures here to keep them from poisoning my reading ;)

olimario

Banned
Grifter said:
I haven't seen it, but I recall reading a while back that Blockbuster's copies are cut.

Are they really? Shit.
I want to see the artists true vision and not something edited for de po wittle childwin. Absolute bullshit.

Where can I get my hands on an untouched version of this film... to think that what I saw could actually be much better.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
if it was rated then it was cut. The uncut version is over two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom