• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 GPU Will Be Supported By Better Hardware Solutions, In Depth Analysis Suggests

What if I told you the PS5 would be able to run games equally as well, but at a 13% reduced resolution?
As I have said a few times, I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between the two versions side by side.
DF with their pixel counting and FPS monitoring might be able to.
I mean, normal people cant tell the difference between a XOX game at 4k to a Pro game at 1440P even.
But the way PS fans are trying to bend the fact that XSX is more power is just crazy.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Exactly! Some don't want that to be true though.

This is true! And this is what the whole next-gen will be about because some gamers that don't actually play games would rather argue over on game having 14% better resolution or another game running 1 to 2 fps better than the other because they are bored. This is what happens when two consoles are this close in power.
This is bullshit. They arent that close in power. PS5 gets handidly beat in most areas of both consoles. We all know the best thing about the PS5 is the SSD and even that isnt much to brag about when both consoles will have them.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Man, these posts are so familiar to the Xbox One launch. Pretty soon we're going to be seeing people claiming that there's a discrete GPU in the PSU.

Yeah its so bad people making up wack theories to try and downplay the power edge the XsX has.
I dont even understand why some are still doing it, the edge the xsx will have will be very small.
People just need to accept.

CJY

Banned
The PS5 hardware seems like Sony is trying to create something very innovative after the rather safe PS4. This was out of necessity as they were on the verge of bankruptcy and had no room for error.

So the PS5 seems like they are stretching their wings and trying to create a small revolution here. All Xbox fans can talk about it 'teraflops' which is a futile game and misses the wood for the trees.
Totally agreed.

Did you see what Lisa Su said about PS5 and Cerny last year at Computex? (timestamped)

You said this was the 104th thread on the topic so of course that makes this info true. Clearly you were being sarcastic as to say this info is false. You were pretty clear there.

This info is speculation. Just another in a long line of threads speculating how secret sauce A, B, C, D, etc etc is going to bridge the gap between the two consoles.

Still waiting for that quote where I say flops is all that matters.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
Nope. Like all large companies they are slaves to their shareholders and theirs no way that would ever be allowed.

Their main goal is to have as many people in the Xbox Live ecosystem as possible, they see that as the most profitable way forward long term. What better way is there to accomplish that goal?

Totally agreed.

Did you see what Lisa Su said about PS5 and Cerny last year at Computex? (timestamped)

Yep, they are trying to revolutionise what a gaming console is. I'm just going through the Corteks video where the guy concludes Sony/Cerny identifying access to memory as the key performance 'cost' (or bottleneck) means PS5 has 'won the console war' because of the IO and SSD and how their accelerators in this area are so far ahead of whats inside Series X.

Sounds hyperbolic but PS5's SSD DMA controller has TWELVE channels. For comparison, Series X has THREE.

So I am starting to understand why all the developers are saying the PS5 is so exciting.

McCheese

I'm just glad both consoles have taken a different approach, going to be interesting to see what first-party studios can squeeze out of them. Also means Digital Foundry is going to be kept busy!

Can you imagine if the rumours of them being 'near identical' were true and how fucking boring that would be, buying £400 for almost the same hardware again just for exclusives? Nah, the PS4 is going to have some insane procedurally loaded world stuff and it's haptic controller, and Xbox is going to have native 4k/120fps games.

bitbydeath

That would mean no console customers, because sony certainly would not let ms have there own stores on playstation.

I just meant better than giving hardware away from a business standpoint.

More games that appeal to other markets would also see more people join. Eg. Single player only AAA titles is the big selling point for Playstation consoles.

I love a technical argument that uses “Sort-of not” but fail to realize that is exactly the same thing as “Kind-of Is”

Both systems are going to be great. Let’s see the games!

Sosokrates

He’s a tech guy, not a PR guy so their may be some merit. It’d explain why devs are so happy but I agree we should wait and see how it unfolds.

Yeah he is a tech guy, but hes been a very loyal sony contractor, if you cant spot his PR speak over the years then you must be very naive.
The ps4, pro and ps5 all have flaws (the ps5 less though) and cerny never speaks of them, because be under no illusions that cerny is trying to sell you a playstation console.
Yep, they are trying to revolutionise what a gaming console is. I'm just going through the Corteks video where the guy concludes Sony/Cerny identifying access to memory as the key performance 'cost' (or bottleneck) means PS5 has 'won the console war' because of the IO and SSD and how their accelerators in this area are so far ahead of whats inside Series X.

Sounds hyperbolic but PS5's SSD DMA controller has TWELVE channels. For comparison, Series X has THREE.

So I am starting to understand why all the developers are saying the PS5 is so exciting.

Those devs have not talked about the ps5 in comparison to the xsx, plus most of them are sony devs.
Also whats your source that xsx has 3 channels to its ssd? I would like to know more about that.

Last edited:
Basically, the way processors are moving (both AMD and Nvidia have come to the same conclusion, as well as Apple/ARM) is that increasing just compute performance is no longer the only or best use of space on a chip.

Accelerators (like Nvidia's Tensor cores or RT cores, or PS5's dedicated DMA controller) are the future, and is why we are going to see RDNA2 dGPU's (and Nvidia's new 7nm GPUs) have lots of transistors dedicated to accelerator functions inside their GPUs.

So whilst the non tech savvy think the battleground is just compute or, teraflops, the real battleground is dedicated engines/controllers for accelerator functions. This is why devs are saying PS5 is a beast, and just as capable as Series X, because Sony has been paying attention.

Last edited:
I have heard someone come out with the Sony version of a hidden GPU in the power brick.
Apparently Cerny hinted that they are able to increase the speed of the GPU even higher, and that Sony are going to do this once devs have got to grips with the PS5 via a firmware update (aka Xbox One)

Yeah. I'm fairly well ingrained into the Sony ecosystem, plus I'm not all that interested in speculation on specifications. They haven't mattered in the past and will make not 1 iota of a difference this coming gen. If it did, the Switch would be fucked.
If Microsoft or Sony released the Switch they would be fucked.

CJY

Banned

I don't think we gotten confirmation about the number of lanes in XSX yet. I've heard 3, 4 all the way up to 8.

This image of XSX SD overlaid on the PCB might be quite telling though:

OrmSppP.png

Accelerator engines/controllers is what I want to see compared, as communication from GPU to memory is a huge cost (bottleneck) to performance.

Specifically I am talking about accelerators on the I/O. PS5 seems to be far more advanced in this respect as it has the following:

DMA controller (12 channels)
Coherency Engines
Cache Scrubbers

Other examples, as mentioned, include:

Nvidia's Tensor Cores
RT Cores

And whatever AMD calls their own dedicated RT transistors in their RDNA2 GPUs.

It seems MS have played a fools game and have been blinded by their pursuit of higher compute at the expense of the above! Cerny/Sony may have played a blinder here and beaten them all ends up, seriously. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Sosokrates

Because a secondary chip wasn't real.
SSD is real.

Its real but we dont know the real world performance difference it will have.
3rd parties cant design a game around custom hardware.
1st party cant be compared.
The GPU,CPU + RAM advantages of the XsX can be utilized in multiplatform games.

So at the end of the day the XsX will be having better performing games, while they will likely load faster on PS5.

Three

If it has to say that only 7.5GB of fast RAM is left because of OS functions, the whole article loses credibility, because it makes it quite clear that whoever wrote it has no idea what he's talking about.
You need to reread the article. It never says only 7.5GB is left becuase of OS functions.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Its real but we dont know the real world performance difference it will have.
3rd parties cant design a game around custom hardware.
1st party cant be compared.
The GPU,CPU + RAM advantages of the XsX can be utilized in multiplatform games.

So at the end of the day the XsX will be having better performing games, while they will likely load faster on PS5.

If both consoles are using the SSD as virtual RAM (which is the main point when it comes to moving to SSD), then that means they the ability to stream better detailed assets better.

Yes, we don't know real world performance, but this isn't "secret sauce" since it's a real component, unlike a second GPU on the Xbox One.

CJY

Banned
Accelerator engines/controllers is what I want to see compared, as communication from GPU to memory is a huge cost (bottleneck) to performance.

Specifically I am talking about accelerators on the I/O. PS5 seems to be far more advanced in this respect as it has the following:

DMA controller (12 channels)
Coherency Engines
Cache Scrubbers

Other examples, as mentioned, include:

Nvidia's Tensor Cores
RT Cores

And whatever AMD calls their own dedicated RT transistors in their RDNA2 GPUs.

It seems MS have played a fools game and have been blinded by their pursuit of higher compute at the expense of the above! Cerny/Sony may have played a blinder here and beaten them all ends up, seriously. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Exactly. Accelerator cores and their focus on minimising communication cost are exactly the reason Nvidia have traditionally outperformed AMD cards at substantially less TFlops. We are likely to see way smaller disparity in performance that what the raw TFlops figures suggests combined with substantially superior IO. I think the games on PS5 are gonna surpass all our expectations. On Xbox, we'll get more Bleeding Edge and Sea of Thieves streaming to over 2 billion gamers. Woweee

bitbydeath

Yeah he is a tech guy, but hes been a very loyal sony contractor, if you cant spot his PR speak over the years then you must be very naive.
The ps4, pro and ps5 all have flaws (the ps5 less though) and cerny never speaks of them, because be under no illusions that cerny is trying to sell you a playstation console.

Not talking about the negatives isn’t the same as lying about positives though.

The latter he is not known for.

Entroyp

A lot of misinformation here, the xsx ram setup provides superior performance, otherwise ms could of gone for the same 448gb/s setup as the PS5.

The OP is basically is just someones speculation.

I really want to hear the real deal on the SX memory setup. I’m sure there’s some sacrifices needed when using the full 16 GB but it must be nowhere near as bad as in the article.

Plus, I would like to know who added the bandwidth both chips and call it a day 😂

Man, these posts are so familiar to the Xbox One launch. Pretty soon we're going to be seeing people claiming that there's a discrete GPU in the PSU.
Sony would never release a console with a disgusting power brick. Thanks for reminding me how trash the Xbox One was.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

RAM%2Bconfiguration%2Bgraphic.jpg

Interleaved memory configurations for the SX's asymmetric memory configuration, an averaged value and the PS5's symmetric memory configuration... You can see that, overall, the PS5 has the edge in pure, consistent throughput...

This part its just straight up conjecture, Microsoft have not said exactly how there ram setup works.

This cortecs person seems to be biased against xbox and for sony, he is just making shit up that makes the xsx seem worse and the PS5 seem better.
Its complete bullshit. Its worrying the length he has gone to trying make the ps5 seem better. Hes probably a shill.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So one car can speed at 100mph over a 25 foot track and the other car can go 200mph over a 25 foot track. Yeah, one got there twice as fast but both got there almost instantly

That's not how it works.

Large data needs to be there within 0.45 milliseconds (while the player is turning the camera or moving at fast pace).

PS5 SSD can get there within that time frame
XsX SSD would need double that amount of that time.

To lighten the load (asset quality), developers would need to reduce the size of the file so that the XsX SSD can get there within that time frame.

Ascend

You need to reread the article. It never says only 7.5GB is left becuase of OS functions.
Then explain to me what this means;

The SX has 2.5 GB reserved for system functions and we don't know how much the PS5 reserves for that similar functionality but it doesn't matter - the Xbox SX either has only 7.5 GB of interleaved memory operating at 560 GB/s for game utilisation before it has to start "lowering" the effective bandwidth of the memory below that of the PS5...

Top Bottom