• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company Sues Fan for Copyright Infringement, Demands $4,000 in Damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdaWong

What the fuck is 4 thousand dollars gonna do for them?! It's not much at ALL for a company like theirs. Assholes.

Kumo

Why do you think the number is important, exactly? This is a message. Plain and simple. That's the bigger issue to TPC.

It's a pretty shitty message then. What about the countless knock-offs you can find on the app store alone? All this does is piss off people that actually care about the franchise.

KingBroly

Banned
It's a pretty shitty message then. What about the countless knock-offs you can find on the app store alone? All this does is piss off people that actually care about the franchise.

A knock off is different from stealing and misusing copyrighted material for profit.

Kieli

Why do you think the number is important, exactly? This is a message. Plain and simple. That's the bigger issue to TPC.

If they want to send a message, why don't they go after all the people selling shitty apps on the App store with stolen assets or extremely similar assets?

Because they aren't easy targets. But this fan is...

fvng

Lol at people in this thread trying to deflect blame away from Nintendo as if TPC doesn't get its directives from them or have any influence from them. Nintendo own TPC and gives them guidelines and this is consistent with Nintendo's own practices

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's sad that rather talking about how rather bad the whole thing is, instead you got people using it as a platform to bash the franchise. Like if Naughty Dog did something irrelevant to their games you'd get people suddenly bashing Uncharted series.

Uh, no they aren't? The game boy didn't have 3D or streetpass. They also innovated like crazy, Gold & Silver had a shitload of new Pokemon and for the first time ever the ability to go back through a previous franchise entry.. That shit hadn't been done before or since.

Anyone can see Red, Blue, Gold and Silver had more heart than the half-assed clones they spit out every other year.

I'd actually counter your post but Coltraine already did it for me. Reeks of stupidity and "heart and soul" shtick that people try to use when they try to rationalize their posts in attempt to look proper.

I'll just say that you sounded like someone who never played Pokemon and simply going off from what posters say, i.e. bandwagonners. You actually played the games? Well maybe next time you will construct proper, actual posts.

Lol at people in this thread trying to deflect blame away from Nintendo as if TPC doesn't get its directives from them or have any influence from them. Nintendo own TPC and gives them guidelines and this is consistent with Nintendo's own practices

You manage to "see" those posts yet you never bothered to read why it wouldn't work just like that? Like did you miss the fact that they are given free range regardless of ownership that Nintendo can't even lock them in their products?

Typical day at Gaming I guess.

L.O.R.D

yah....

aApXQA0_700b.jpg

fernoca

But it totally sued a small business owner running a passion-event for fans.
Difference is that one used official artwork, the other one doesn't.

If the guy used even fanart on the poster, it wouldn't be a problem. But slapping official artwork on the poster is what triggered this. He could've contacted them, submit the artwork and get approval if he really wanted to use it. At worst, he would've received a notification of denial or a ceast and desist.

But the bad placement of it, just shows this was just something quickly put together and never thought of the consequences. Hence the reason of the $4k. Is not as if they need the money, but just an arbitrary number as a penalty to let others know "ask us first".

People are quickly throwing and mentionjng games on iOS and Android, but who says they haven't sent notices already? The only reason we know of this is because the person that was sued posted about it after the party was cancelled and because it was a well known event. Makers of this iOS-clones won't go around talking about lawsuits and stuff, because everyone knows they'll become the butt of the joke (just look at the debacle around Meme Run -which ironically Nintendo allowed on tbeir eShop for some time).

Again, it sucks. But sadly, is the kind of thing that they're within their rights to do. The 10 pages of the lawsuit are centered mostly on the artwork and how TPC is the sole owner of said artwork along Pokémon Works. Considering it was the 5th year of this (and the many events that are thrown around), in a way shows that they don't care, as long as you don't use official artwork for promotions...and much less, charge money for said event. This were the 2 red flags around this.

jrDev

Is this because he held it in his Cafe? What if I wanted to host a Pokemon Halloween party bash at my house, I make posters and spread it around my town; the Pokemon company have the right to sue me?

fernoca

Is this because he held it in his Cafe? What if I wanted to host a Pokemon Halloween party bash at my house, I make posters and spread it around my town; the Pokemon company have the right to sue me?
It was because of the official artwork in the poster (Pikachu and Snivy) and the official artwork (same Pikachu) promoting it on Facebook.

He charging money (even if it wasn't for his own profit) was also a factor, but the main "thing" was the use of the official artwork. Like 3-4 pages of the 10 pages lawsuit were about it and even with pictures of the trading card, artwork of Pikachu and Snivy along explanation of the characters and how Pokémon Works and TPC are the sole owners of it.

GorillaJu

The money is part of the message. If there was no money involved, it would be a toothless C&D. How people would try to get away with similar things if there was no real repercussion?

Heaven forbid they get away with having parties for fans of the game they like.

The idea that they can use these copyrighted images on their clearly professionally designed posters and make untold riches off of Nintendo's hard work makes me SICK to my stomach.

jrDev

It was because of the official artwork in the poster (Pikachu and Snivy) and the official artwork (same Pikachu) promoting it on Facebook.

He charging money (even if it wasn't for his own profit) was also a factor, but the main "thing" was the use of the official artwork. Like 3-4 pages of the 10 pages lawsuit were about it and even with pictures of the trading card, artwork of Pikachu and Snivy along explanation of the characters and how Pokémon Works and TPC are the sole owners of it.
So you are saying I can't make a poster or a Facebook invite about a party I am having at my house with official art work? Wtf or am I not reading this right?

Kamina777

Banned
Holy damn, $4,000
This generation considered..Can you really blame them? They have been slowly losing touch with their fanbase and grasping at anything they could for control over every money making aspect of their IP's. This will start happening more. Catch enough people messing up and it could be a lucrative venture.

Nintendo wasn't mentioned once...

Nintendo had nothing to do with this.

TPC are separate from Nintendo.

Pokemon Company has autonomy and can sue on their own, make mobile on their own and deny things from companies on their own. They even deny Nintendo on things, so Pokemon amiibo are used less than most other amiibo. Heck, the Pokemon costumes in Mario Maker don't even get their sounds.

This is all TPC and nothing to do with Nintendo. I don't like what TPC is doing either.

nothing to do with Nintendo, Hell Nintendo couldnt even get the use of pokemon sound effects in mario maker because of the pokemon company.

TPC is a different entity.

Da fuck is this nonsense? I know TPC is technically separate but it is still owned by Nintendo so I have no problem shifting the blame to them as well. Since they've also been known to have similar shit policies, it's not unreasonable to assume where they came from.

Da fuck is this nonsense? I know TPC is technically separate but it is still owned by Nintendo so I have no problem shifting the blame to them as well. Since they've also been known to have similar shit policies, it's not unreasonable to assume where they came from.

TPC made this decision, not Nintendo. It hasn't anything to do with Nintendo.

TPC made this decision, not Nintendo. It hasn't anything to do with Nintendo.

Yes it does. Just like if Naughty Dog were to do something similar, it would still lie with Sony as they are owned by them. Even if this wasn't decided by the heads of Nintendo themselves saying "Nintendo is at fault" isn't the stretch people are making it out to be when the company they own is the one making the lawsuit.

Yes it does. Just like if Naughty Dog were to do something similar, it would still lie with Sony as they are owned by them. Even if this wasn't decided by the heads of Nintendo themselves saying "Nintendo is at fault" isn't the stretch people are making it out to be when the company they own is the one making the lawsuit.
Should Ford take the blame if Mazda sued someone for hosting a Mazda race party?

Nintendo has invested in TPC so they own 33.33% shares of them.

Neoxon

But it's The Pokémon Company that covers everything when it comes to how the franchise is handled, not Nintendo. They're the reason why the Pokémon Amiibos are either not used in other games besides Smash or, in Super Mario Maker's case, why the use of said Amiibos are half-assed. Likewise, they're also the ones who handle the Pokémon mobile games independent of Nintendo (the only one that Nintendo is helping with is Pokémon GO). So yeah, Nintendo has nothing to do with this lawsuit.

L.O.R.D

I should make a Pokemon party at my house, and put some official posters every where
And tell TPC they are not invited, let's see what they can do

Granteed

Banned
This generation considered..Can you really blame them? They have been slowly losing touch with their fanbase and grasping at anything they could for control over every money making aspect of their IP's. This will start happening more. Catch enough people messing up and it could be a lucrative venture.

Huh? If anything, TPC is pretty good at staying "in touch", considering how well they merchandise and are moving into mobile while still maintaining their handheld line.

e: This thread is hilarious, some are talking as if they seriously think that Pokemon is going to die over one legal dispute spun into clickbait.

Word?

Hook up more of that insider info

mrlion

The Pokemon Company is not a separate entity, its owned by Nintendo. Not sure where you guys are getting that they can do decisions on their own...they can't...it comes from upstairs at Nintendo.

Pikma

Banned
The Pokemon Company is not a separate entity, its owned by Nintendo. Not sure where you guys are getting that they can do decisions on their own...they can't...it comes from upstairs at Nintendo.
Learn to read before presenting shit like that as fact.

fernoca

So you are saying I can't make a poster or a Facebook invite about a party I am having at my house with official art work? Wtf or am I not reading this right?
Unless you go around advertising the party, charging a fee to pay (even if you don't profit) and such; and had it in a specific place and tied to another event (PAX).

Also keep in mind that Nintendo has been (and was?) at PAX. So, someone advertising a party after PAX with Pokémon artwork could give the impression that it was an official event. Many peoe are like that, just see the images, giveaways and $2 fee and go for it.

It sucks, but it's also a bitch that I had to go through as a graphic designer. I couldn't just choose any picture I wanted and put it in a poster even if it was for a small get together. We either had to ask for permissions, buy the pictures or just use free images.

And even still there are risks. One time, a coworker used an image a client provided claiming it was his and providing the original digital pictures, to use in a mini poster to advertise the launch of a book. A month or so later, the company was sued because "we" used the picture without permission. Turned out the person didn't took the pictures, but a photographer did. He provided digital files without watermarks at the request of the person, as long as he gave credit to him; whuch he didn't. Things were solved and clear labels printed with the name of the photographer were also done to put over (some of) said posters. But is the kind of things many just want to avoid.

Again it sucks, but is nothing extraordinary.

Heck, Sony sued the actor that played Kevin Butler, just because he appeared in another commercial playing Wii. So, he was basically sued for using his own face, since the commercial was from tires and not about gaming. :p

EDIT:
Or just look at why on sports games some players don't have the tattoos they actually have and how companies has been sued for using tattoos along the person that has it, without permissions.

h#shdem0n

This was a really shitty move. He got a cease and desist, then proceeded to cease and desist.

They are either clueless, and don't know free marketing when they see it, or they are cynical, and decided to take a little bit of free marketing and some bad press for more free marketing.

jadedm17

They'd make a lot of money with that attitude if they visited Chaturbate, that place is full of people using copyrighted work.

This is the equivalent of driving 6 miles over the speed limit and you get pulled over by an officer and get a speeding ticket. It may be technically within the officer's (TPC) rights, but it's just scummy.

I'm really beginning to dislike TPC.

You hit the nail on the head with that analogy. Thank you.

It's kind of like how a nursery got sued by Disney for drawing its characters on the walls

"Within your right" and "scummy" are not mutually exclusive. If I may ask, what is the difference between this and TPC's actions? People took a big ol' dump on Disney for that. Maybe people just like Pokémon better so they're willing to make exceptions?

Unless you go around advertising the party, charging a fee to pay (even if you don't profit) and such; and had it in a specific place and tied to another event (PAX).

Also keep in mind that Nintendo has been (and was?) at PAX. So, someone advertising a party after PAX with Pokémon artwork could give the impression that it was an official event. Many peoe are like that, just see the images, giveaways and $2 fee and go for it.
I mean, I guess if you lack basic reading comprehension.

NoKisum

I'm still trying to understand what "damages" mean in this scenario. If the party had proceeded, would there suddenly be a large amount of people who would opt out of buying the next main Pokémon game? Will people cancel their preorders of Super Mystery Dungeon because they had too good a time at a party?

Spman2099

I have a hard time understanding all the people that defend companies that do stuff like this. I am not saying that they are doing anything illegal, but it still feels really petty and shitty.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Last I checked ND isn't given the reins to manage a franchise on their own. It's why you can't really compare any studio to them - because TPCi is its own entity that, even though Nintendo has a stake on its own - is given its own management and freedom because they handle a juggernaut franchise.

Why can't people see this?

I have a hard time understanding all the people that defend companies that do stuff like this. I am not saying that they are doing anything illegal, but it still feels really petty and shitty.

You should actually read, no one is defending them, just explaining why it happened.

Most of the posts here shitposting on a series they stopped caring about or not knowing how company ownership works lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom