• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Polish Office of Competition starts investigation into the possibility of anti-competitive practices on digital distribution platforms Steam & PSN

Three

☝️This claim specifically was dismissed, however:

Like i said, thats the specific claim they want to investigate. There is no specific clause on steam terms demanding price parity.
No, that's what's not true. Evidence of enforcement of that policy was not dismissed. What was dismissed was the complaint that there was a reduction of output quality or quantity with the existence of Steam and that policy. If there was no evidence of such enforcement the judge would not suggest that allegations are sufficient to plausibly allege unlawful conduct and to file a new complaint. The new complaint is exactly about enforcing that policy if you read the Bloomberg report.

Guilty_AI

If there was no evidence of such enforcement the judge would not suggest that allegations are sufficient to plausibly allege unlawful conduct and to file a new complaint. The new complaint is exactly about enforcing that policy if you read the Bloomberg report.
Like i said before, the evidence they presented for this allegation was what that specific account manager said, there is no policy in place anywhere demanding price parity.

Three

Like i said before, the evidence they presented for this allegation was what that specific account manager said, there is no policy in place anywhere demanding price parity.
What are you basing this on and why do you automatically assume it's written for PS based on that dev but not this one?
Where did the Steam account manager get that policy do you think?

When the judge rejected Valves attempt to dismiss this antitrust claim he even stated:

"The company 'allegedly enforces this regime through a combination of written and unwritten rules' imposing its own conditions on how even non-Steam-enabled games are sold and priced," Coughenour said. It wasn't dismissed because the policy doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

What are you basing this on
The words of the judge.

and why do you automatically assume it's written for PS based on that dev?
I'm not. But it is a fact there was a dev who explicitly claimed playstation had such policy and even altered prices based on this. Its is enough to warrant an investigation.

Where did the Steam account manager get that policy do you think?
We don't know, thats what the investigation is for. Could've been a mistake or miscommunication for all we know. Especially considering we see no traces of such policy, including the fact we have non-steam versions of games selling for lower base prices than on steam.

When the judge rejected Valves attempt to dismiss this antitrust claim he even stated:

"The company 'allegedly enforces this regime through a combination of written and unwritten rules' imposing its own conditions on how even non-Steam-enabled games are sold and priced," Coughenour said. It wasn't dismissed because the policy doesn't exist.
"allegedly". Its an allegation rightfully under investigation due to the evidence i've shown.

Look, if this is just some sad attempt to prove to yourself Sony isn't a lot more anti-consumer and anti-developer than valve, all you'll get from me are laugh and empathy emojis from now on.

Three

The judge did not dismiss that claim.
I'm not. But it is a fact there was a dev who explicitly claimed playstation had such policy and even altered prices based on this. Its is enough to warrant an investigation.
And you have a dev not only making such a claim for Steam having the same policy but actually launching a lawsuit against them. So why, when you say you weren't oblivious to the Steam antitrust claim, do you make claims like this:

Steam doesn't control game prices either. Devs can set their games for whatever price they want

PSN however, there have been devs on the past saying Sony has a lot of say on the prices
I think there could be something there.

When you have no evidence of what's happening? Just a dev saying the exact same thing about EGS price based on Steam or PSN prices.

Look, if this is just some sad attempt to prove to yourself Sony isn't a lot more anti-consumer and anti-developer than valve, all you'll get from me are laugh and empathy emojis from now on.
This seems more a sad attempt by you to do the exact opposite and dismiss any wrong doing by Valve especially with that avatar of yours.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I hated when Sony started selling digital games Only on their store.

Not only does it give an F U to third party sellers, it means that you can't find the game cheaper somewhere else. I'm sure gamestop and Amazon lost quite a bit of revenue from not having digital ps4/ ps5 games anymore.

At least I got physical discs still if I want a cheaper price.

Top Bottom