• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard’s bringing its PC games to Steam, starting with Overwatch 2

MrMephistoX

Never thought I would see the day... Valve just keeps winning.

Full controller support and Steam achievements confirmed. All we need now is the Deck Verified logo.
Technically already runs great with full “support” if you install Battle.net in desktop mode: hoping I won’t have to rebuy it for full steam support though. It wasn’t that big a pain to install but still launchers suck.

SCB3

Maybe Microsoft will shut down the Battle.net launcher as they did with the Bethesda launcher. I think it was possible to transfer Bethesda game over to Steam when that happened, but Battle.net is also much more popular, so who knows.
Doesn't Battle.net predate Steam by a few years as well?

Cobaiye

image.png

Graciaus

I'm annoyed that I bought Diablo 4 a week ago after saying I would just wait for the Steam release. Then they ruined the game yesterday and it'll probably be on Steam before it's in a good state anyway.

Good news though.

Last edited:
Interesting. If everything carries over, and it definitely should, I may just play it via Steam instead. It's pretty much the last game I still launch on battle.net, unless Diablo IV Season 1 ends up being good.
Cross progression is tied to battle.net so everything carries over. Dont know how it works for Diablo though.

Holammer

No Blizzard publisher page on Steam, yet.
Almost missed that the game "Requires 3rd-Party Account: Battle.net Account". Not unexpected, that way you get to keep your progress and skins while avoiding the Wargaming drama that accompanied World of Warships/Tanks launches on Steam. Interesting bit is if it does not require Battlenet installed, then it's a soft phase-out.

Maybe Microsoft will shut down the Battle.net launcher as they did with the Bethesda launcher. I think it was possible to transfer Bethesda game over to Steam when that happened, but Battle.net is also much more popular, so who knows.
BNET has a huge base and a shop tie-in. I doubt they will shut it down

Gamezone

Gold Member
They won't, all of their games which supports millions of accounts rely on the Battle.net network to function online, I don't anytime when moving completely to Steam would be feasible.

If I got Mike Ybarra's tweet right, you'll need a Battle.net account for Overwatch 2, not the client. So they could be moving away from the client, and migrate B.net to Xbox Live.

That's cool but I'll stick with Battle.net as I need it for Diablo IV. If they bring Diablo IV over then I'll double dip if they put it on sale. They should do WoW next.

Last edited:

Filben

Invasion Story Missions
Team up with your friends or play with others online to take on three action-packed Invasion Story Missions taking place in Rio de Janeiro, Toronto, and Gothenburg. Play through the story as you fight against the intensified forces of Null Sector and encounter challenging new enemies, including the powerful Artillery and the deadly Stalkers.
I thought they canceled their PvE/story goals? Or this just one of these seasonal and simple PvE modes they had already?

rubenburgt

Didn't they also just announced the game wasn't as big of a hit as they hoped and that the player base has been decreasing? Heck, they are also about to shut down their esport.

This sounds like an attempt of getting more players.

Demigod Mac

I thought they canceled their PvE/story goals? Or this just one of these seasonal and simple PvE modes they had already?
A lot of content creators spread misinformation that the PVE mode was "canceled" (as if the entire thing was getting scrapped)
The PVE co-op missions are still coming. Blizz abandoned the mode where you can level up heroes and build their talent trees.
They will be like the Archives missions but with a much higher budget and available year-round.

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

If I got Mike Ybarra's tweet right, you'll need a Battle.net account for Overwatch 2, not the client. So they could be moving away from the client, and migrate B.net to Xbox Live.
Pretty much like how Halo Infinite works on Steam.
You still need a Microsoft account to sign into the game and play, but Steam directly manages the local game files on your PC.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Thank you Blizzard and Steam (and any other platforms getting Blizzard games as well). The more players, the better.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
So one of the first thing ABK does after confirming their Microsoft acquisition is... to bring their games to MS a rival platform? LMAO, hilarious in the good sense

Top Bottom