• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 releases on Steam with ‘mixed,’ reviews and less than 2,500 players

ahtlas7

Played and completed the main campaign without spending anything. The game was enjoyable for me at least in small bursts *shrug*. More than D4 at least.

Edit ah missed the typo mb ;p
He is correct. I too played through the single player without spending a penny, on my freaking Ipad and it was fun, especially compared to 4.

Last edited:
No.

Diablo 3 is unmemorable.

Diablo 4 actually made me care and feel things.

I don't think my facial expressions changed once whilst playing D3.
You played it for the Story? It's the same shit every game. It's serviceable I guess, but I was there for the carnage, not to care and feel things.

Gay GIF

Diablo 3 at least after the expansion released had an end game I actually enjoyed for a few dozen hours. I hope this will be the same eventually, but I have my doubts.

Dazraell

I'm honestly surprised why they haven't released Diablo II Resurrected on Steam first, and then followed it with Diablo IV

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah Anyone who wanted the game already got it plus it sucks so it’s not too surprising that it isn’t blowing up steam.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

TBF to Blizzard, if they'd released Diablo 4 in the state it is in in Season 2, it wouldn't have received anywhere near the amount of hate it got, unfortunately I think it's too little too late at this point, I'm enjoying season 2 though

Little Mac

Gold Member
I bought this game and I have to say. Diablo 3 is a far better game. It just is.

For some weird reason, Diablo games seem to always take a huge step back at launch when compared to their predecessors. Usually takes an expansion to get them on par or above previous entries. D2 wasn't amazing until after LoD. D3 wasn't great until after RoS.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Can’t say I’m surprised, when Diablo has always been synonymous with Battlenet. Most people bought it there.

I think there’s better ARPGs to play on Steam, for less money. As it is though D4 isn’t a bad game.

Roberts

It's a shame I guess. As a total casual when it comes to these games, I liked 4 better than 3 - just felt like the presentation and the overall vibe was way more confident. Also, playing with necromancer slaps in this!

Last edited:

PeteBull

For some weird reason, Diablo games seem to always take a huge step back at launch when compared to their predecessors. Usually takes an expansion to get them on par or above previous entries. D2 wasn't amazing until after LoD. D3 wasn't great until after RoS.
D3, even after expack, is way way worse from d1/d2, and d4 is even worse from d3 with an expack, i say it as a guy who spend roughly around 10k hours in the diablo series games, hell i was so desperate i even tried diablo immortal(puked hard after like 1,5 hours:p).
I was very hopeful about d4, preordered it, playet tons, but cant be helped, devs(and i mean head devs, ppl who make crucial decisions) gotta fix game's core- gameplay loop and itemisation, till those things are fixed nothing else matters.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well yeah, who the fuck isn't just buying D4 through Bnet? You still need to use Bnet regardless.

Laieon

This is a dumb post. The game is trash, which is exactly why fans are bitching about it. Also this type of game lives or does by it's long term fun factor. Path of exile most definitely didn't get the fall off this did I assure you. Its designed for the crack addict equivalent of gamers.
It doesn't matter if you enjoyed the game, you already admitted to having a low standard for what constitutes fun at the start of the game.

That's great, but I don't find PoE fun. I find DIV fun. I couldn't care less if PoE didn't get the fall off this did, because I didn't enjoy my time with PoE (granted, that was almost a decade ago) and have no interest in returning to it. It's just not what I want out of an ARPG. I've also said at least once in this thread that I'm the type of gamer that's looking to spend 100s or 1000s of hours on one game, so something that is "designed for the crack addict equivalent of gamers" is irrelevant (and actively working against) my preferences.

Again, as I stated in my original post you might feel differently and you're more than entitled to your opinion. I don't have low standards, just different standards. It's not dumb just because you disagree with it, that's a childish and immature take.

Also, I'm a fan and I'm not bitching about it. If someone doesn't like something, are they a fan?

You:

iu

It's a shame I guess. As a total casual when it comes to these games, I liked 4 better than 3 - just felt like the presentation and the overall vibe was way more confident. Also, playing with necromancer slaps in this!

Yeah, Necromancer is great. I hope we get Witch Doctor someday, I miss my frogs.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
The hatred for this game is so weird. I found it extremely fun. There are things I miss from Diablo 3, but the game is hardly the blasphemy against Diablo's good name that people like to pretend it is.

Diablo 3 was donkey balls when it release,d but it's much better now (and better than Diablo 4) it also doesnt have a cosmetic shop. Everything in the game is FREE

PeteBull

When are you guys going to find out that judging games based off their steam numbers isn't the way to go when they are multi-plat.
I judge games based on their quality, d4 has terrible core mechanics, despite crazy budget and dev time, so ofc as a customer and longtime fan of the series im pissed af, steam numbers/reviews is just players who actually bought the game in hopes its decent hack and slash continuation of games we loved and played for years, if we knew tha its just 30h of story to beat then leave before u puke out of boredoom and disgust no1 (or rather 99,9% of players) would buy it.

In d4's case metacritic score is totally false, coz reviewers arent ur normal diablo players, they get game for free, play it for a week or two and thats it, diablo players love the franchise/its gameplay mechanics coz it was fun for months/years - tousands of hours played, and it only got better with time when u dig deepr, here in d4 game gets worse the more u play it =/

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Diablo 2 when it first came out seemed pretty amazing to me after Diablo 1.

Maybe the exception, but D2 didn't become the pinnacle of the genre until Lords of Destruction came out. D3 was a huge step back when it launched and many considered it a disappointment until Reaper of Souls expac was released and it finally found its footing. D4 again was a huge step back from post RoS D3. Maybe in time it will earn the Diablo moniker ... or maybe because of community backlash it will be abandoned by the devs.

In a minute and a half this video explains everything wrong with Diablo IV's itemization. In a game of this genre, loot is everything, when the loot sucks, nobody wants to play your game. I don't know how they could have screw up the loot this badly.

Mortisfacio

Maybe the exception, but D2 didn't become the pinnacle of the genre until Lords of Destruction came out. D3 was a huge step back when it launched and many considered it a disappointment until Reaper of Souls expac was released and it finally found its footing. D4 again was a huge step back from post RoS D3. Maybe in time it will earn the Diablo moniker ... or maybe because of community backlash it will be abandoned by the devs.

Thank you! I've always felt D2 didn't become what it was until LoD and people just seem to misremember since it was so long ago. Can't remember what the game was like prior and only recall the fond memories with LoD.

Season 2 is a big step in the right direction, but it still has flaws. My hope is the game becomes quality Diablo before an expansion, but time will tell. I hated D3 at launch as well, yet after RoS I played nearly all seasons (i stopped for a year or so around season 14 out of rage - lost my HC character to an internet outage)

NT80

Compared to what? I don't know what the leading arpgs were at the time of it's release but Diablo 2 felt like a huge upgrade over the first game. As a big fan of Diablo 1 I was in no way disappointed by the sequel when it came out the way I feel about D3 and 4. A lot of balance issues may have cropped up over time but it still felt like an amazing game.

Laieon

You coming into a hate thread uninvited: "stop hating on what I like"

Nothing in the original post says "I hate this" or "h8ters 0nly" and blatantly spells out reasons why the player count, extremely valid ones that others have also mentioned in this thread, might be as low as they are. It would be like if Valve decided for whatever reason to release Left 4 Dead or Half Life on the Epic Store - those player count numbers (I assume they're tracked somewhere) would probably be low too because they've been easily accessible elsewhere (Steam) on the same platform (PC) for years.

What you perceive as a "hate thread" (what a stupid fucking idea for a thread in the first place) might not be that and not everyone needs to bend to your pessimistic views. I know it's shocking, but some people still have fun playing video games in 2023.

I will say that I wasn't aware that you had to receive "invitations" to post on threads on this forum though and therefore wasn't familiar with the concept of being "uninvited" to one, so my apologies.

arent ur normal diablo players, they get game for free, play it for a week or two and thats it

I'd bet money that this is how the vast majority of the playerbase dating back to the original game have played and engaged with Diablo. The ones putting hundreds if not thousands of hours into it aren't the "normal" players at all. Hardcore players never are.

Be honest, this is a series where each game has sold millions if not tens of millions of copies. Do you really think the majority of players stuck around for more than a couple weeks?

In a world with Path Of Exile, D2 + great mods, Last Epoch looking fancy on the horizon, D3 having bored me to death already.... I should be interested in D4 why, exactly?

You shouldn't be because D4 isn't the kind of ARPG you're looking for based on your preferences, and that's fine.

In a world where PoE and D2 exist, I'm far more interested in D4 (and D3) because I like more casual, relaxing experiences. I want more Torchlight 2 (shame about the sequels though) than I do PoE.

Last Epoch though is fantastic, definitely give that a shot if you haven't played it yet. It has some really cool settings and is constantly mixing them up.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Nothing in the original post says "I hate this" or "h8ters 0nly" and blatantly spells out reasons why the player count, extremely valid ones that others have also mentioned in this thread, might be as low as they are. It would be like if Valve decided for whatever reason to release Left 4 Dead or Half Life on the Epic Store - those player count numbers (I assume they're tracked somewhere) would probably be low too because they've been easily accessible elsewhere (Steam) on the same platform (PC) for years.

What you perceive as a "hate thread" (what a stupid fucking idea for a thread in the first place) might not be that and not everyone needs to bend to your pessimistic views. I know it's shocking, but some people still have fun playing video games in 2023.

I will say that I wasn't aware that you had to receive "invitations" to post on threads on this forum though and therefore wasn't familiar with the concept of being "uninvited" to one, so my apologies.

I'd bet money that this is how the vast majority of the playerbase dating back to the original game have played and engaged with Diablo. The ones putting hundreds if not thousands of hours into it aren't the "normal" players at all. Hardcore players never are.

Be honest, this is a series where each game has sold millions if not tens of millions of copies. Do you really think the majority of players stuck around for more than a couple weeks?

You shouldn't be because D4 isn't the kind of ARPG you're looking for based on your preferences, and that's fine.

In a world where PoE and D2 exist, I'm far more interested in D4 (and D3) because I like more casual, relaxing experiences. I want more Torchlight 2 (shame about the sequels though) than I do PoE.

Last Epoch though is fantastic, definitely give that a shot if you haven't played it yet. It has some really cool settings and is constantly mixing them up.
You clearly missed the fact that it was a dumb reply to your even dumber meme.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is the music in the Steam trailer really catering to Diablo fans?

Is there any value in this as a purely single player experience with no desire to go past the final boss?
Even as a story driven single player experience it's a supremely dull game. I'd rather go back and play D2 Resurrected or Diablo 3 again than revisit this.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Legendary status of d1 and d2 isnt coz of what d4 has solid, so graphics/story, both of those games became legendary coz they are timeless, core of those games is simply really well thought- ppl in charge who made them, knew what they were doing.
As an anecdote, i played og d1 vanilla, no mods, no expack, in summer 2017(was few months before i upgraded my pc), and it still holds up, ofc it has mechanics that are outdated, but it was just as fun to play and entertaining as at launch, thats how good of a game it is.

Edit: Oh and if d4 was supposed to be another game players should play for a week or two, like reviewers, then why devs are making new seasons and trying to hold as much playerbase as possible? if we treat it as 2weeks game then s1, s2(that just started, but still has all the nastiness that game had at launch, just bit of new stuff sprinkled on top) and later seasons gonna be there, thats the definition of game made to be played for years/tens of hours.

Last edited:

Laieon

Legendary status of d1 and d2 isnt coz of what d4 has solid, so graphics/story, both of those games became legendary coz they are timeless, core of those games is simply really well thought- ppl in charge who made them, knew what they were doing.
As an anecdote, i played og d1 vanilla, no mods, no expack, in summer 2017(was few months before i upgraded my pc), and it still holds up, ofc it has mechanics that are outdated, but it was just as fun to play and entertaining as at launch, thats how good of a game it is.

Maybe, but as another anecdote my first exposure to D2 was resurrected and its by far the Diablo game I've put the least time into. I don't think I even finished Lord of Destruction, I just ultimately wasn't have as much fun with it has I did D3. Different strokes, I guess. As someone who doesn't have nostalgia for it, I don't like its aged nearly as well as other 20+ year old PC games. Age of Empires II is still the gold standard for that imo.

The art style of D2 is definitely great though, I don't like the gameplay all that much but it looks gorgeous.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Maybe, but as another anecdote my first exposure to D2 was resurrected and its by far the Diablo game I've put the least time into. I don't think I even finished Lord of Destruction, I just ultimately wasn't have as much fun with it has I did D3. Different strokes, I guess. As someone who doesn't have nostalgia for it, I don't like its aged nearly as well as other 20+ year old PC games. Age of Empires II is still the gold standard for that imo.
U have right to ur own opinion, but if u state that d2 is worse from d3, then its like u would state matrix 1 is worse from matrix2/3 or that new reboot/continuation, true fan of the series cant take ur opinion/taste seriously, its like those younglings loving fortnite or overwatch, its their choice, but can u really hold any proper discussion over quality of a game/s with that crowd if they enjoy that shit =D

Booted it up yesterday, made a seasonal character. Had no idea what the fuck I was doing. I've already finished the game back on release but I just don't know what's going on. I feel like they made the user experience confusing without good reason.

Then I looked at the upgrade menu and it dawned on me that I absolutely cannot be fucking bothered to create a meta build and then knew I'd need to go looking around online for a reasonable Rogue build.

I feel like even though I'm only 36, I'm just too old for this shit.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Booted it up yesterday, made a seasonal character. Had no idea what the fuck I was doing. I've already finished the game back on release but I just don't know what's going on. I feel like they made the user experience confusing without good reason.

Then I looked at the upgrade menu and it dawned on me that I absolutely cannot be fucking bothered to create a meta build and then knew I'd need to go looking around online for a reasonable Rogue build.

I feel like even though I'm only 36, I'm just too old for this shit.
Right. It’s lame to have to redo it all just for seasonal content. I don’t have time to start a level 1 character. There are too many other games to play and other real life stuff to do. The Diablo IV team is oblivious to that thought.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

The game should have been called Lilith. Diablo IV should have had Diablo in it.

I'm sure one of the 2 expansions in production has Diablo in it. Modern Blizzard plan was to sell the hype and drag it out. They just didn't execute very well. Beta reception most online communities were in love with the game. Game launched and still overwhelmingly favorable. Few weeks post launch, growing amounts of people had issues with the lack of endgame. Then for some dumb reason Blizzard was like "we hear your complaints! The grind is slow and tedious around level 70-80 and it gets worse until 100! So we did you a solid! We nerfed all classes and nerfed XP to make this worse!" And dropped the 1.1 patch which was a failure. 1.2 patch is actually a pretty solid patch, but much of the community still has their panties in a bunch over launch issues + 1.1 patch.

Laieon

U have right to ur own opinion, but if u state that d2 is worse from d3, then its like u would state matrix 1 is worse from matrix2/3 or that new reboot/continuation, true fan of the series cant take ur opinion/taste seriously, its like those younglings loving fortnite or overwatch, its their choice, but can u really hold any proper discussion over quality of a game/s with that crowd if they enjoy that shit =D

Gatekeeping is childish and you can't hold a proper discussion with anyone who legitimately does so, so... we'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gatekeeping is childish and you can't hold a proper discussion with anyone who legitimately does so, so... we'll just leave it at that.
Im not telling u to change ur opinion, bro, just if ur pov on those games is what it is, then we cant find consensus here, im sure there are some ppl who for example like fallout 76 more than fallout 4, more power to them, its their subjective judgement that myself and probably 99% players wouldnt agree on simply, its fine tho, not every game is made for every player, u got ppl who cant stand gta series, or witcher series too :)

Top Bottom