• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West releases on Steam with lower player count than Horizon: Zero Dawn

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Alright, AF and resolution don't matter. What else can we cross off the list? Might as well just get an RTX 3060 and you can play everything.
when was the last time af mattered at anything more than x4 lol?
You play half life 2 over there with planes of flat textures without any vegetation?
And resolution is not a difference. it's 4k on both comparisons. besides, 40fps mode looks pretty good on ps5 too. Basically 4k like. And performance mode is 1440p 70-90fps on ps5.
You have no ground to pc master race fight on with this game. Grabbing onto AF is pathetic at best.
3060? lol cmon man. 3060 is not doing 60fps at 1440p in this game. Let alone 60+ ps5 is doing

It matter because not everything on the ground is covered by grass, it's not a gamechanger but it is noticeable here and there, the desert area being the biggest culprit.

I'm also playing with a controller, but i can chose the stick disposition and i'm not forced to play with the dildosense5.

Both perf mode have way lower res and framerate, on pc you don't have to pick one, you get the best graohic and the best framerate all at once, and a super hard, fast pacing tps need all the frames you can get, and the better visual clarity is also a plus.

The game doesn't look much better, but it play infinitely better, the difference between 30 and 120 is wild.
There isn't lack of AF on ps5 verison lol. It's just lower like 4 or 8. it absolutely 100000% doesn't matter. Not even on a desert.

fps is objective. Of course it feels better and you can do 4k120 on pc.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm not too surprised, I know people love this IP, and that's great. But there seems to be a good number that aren't super into it at all. Or at least don't plan on picking it up at launch.

Bloodborne or Demon's Souls would certainly do better.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Ghost of Tsushima does better.

OverHeat

« generous god »
You play half life 2 over there with planes of flat textures without any vegetation?
And resolution is not a difference. it's 4k on both comparisons. besides, 40fps mode looks pretty good on ps5 too. Basically 4k like. And performance mode is 1440p 70-90fps on ps5.
You have no ground to pc master race fight on with this game. Grabbing onto AF is pathetic at best.
3060? lol cmon man. 3060 is not doing 60fps at 1440p in this game. Let alone 60+ ps5 is doing

There isn't lack of AF on ps5 verison lol. It's just lower like 4 or 8. it absolutely 100000% doesn't matter. Not even on a desert.

I run the game at more the 3x more fps almost maxing out my 175hz screen it’s a beauty 3440x1440 DLAA is unreal

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
I run the game at more the 3x more fps almost maxing out my 175hz screen it’s a beauty 3440x1440 DLAA is unreal

Same experience, looks absolutely bonkers and way better than PS5. I actually stopped playing on PS because performance (imo) just underserved the game. This is how it SHOULD feel.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It still does?
Nah, it's doing 1800p checkerboarded which is 1600x1800 with DRS.
No one is picking a fight. You decided to be an idiot by bringing up a comparison thumping your chest as if you had won anything. We already established in the DF thread that PC only scales slightly above PS5. By and large, they look very similar and no one disputed this. Very High doesn't scale much above High either despite being quite a bit more demanding. Better AF, slightly better shadow filtering and a few other little upgrades, but they don't transform the game at all.
Neither is the PS5. A 3060 can do 60fps at 1440p with DLSS Quality. Surely, if 1600x1800 with CBR is "perfect", then you won't complain about 1440p with DLSS, will you?

Literally no one tried to claim the PC version was so much better. We mostly agreed that the port is competent but lacking in terms of visual upgrades.

Last edited:

Senua

Comparison is in.

Looks identical. ps5 sometimes better like better Aloy textures but seems like a bug.
So yes. Image quality is indeed already perfect on ps5. You are not winning that one.
PC version offers higher fps. Everything else is more less identical.

You obviously don't know the definition of perfect

Kacho

I'm not too surprised, I know people love this IP, and that's great. But there seems to be a good number that aren't super into it at all. Or at least don't plan on picking it up at launch.

Bloodborne or Demon's Souls would certainly do better.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Ghost of Tsushima does better.
I wouldn’t say it did bad. It’s just going against tough competition. Horizon seems to be the second most popular Sony IP on PC after God of War. Uncharted and Last of Us performed poorly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I run the game at more the 3x more fps almost maxing out my 175hz screen it’s a beauty
You want me to congratulate on your "175hz screen"? You got one of them oled widescreens?
You are either lying or are giving me fps with frame generation. You are not doing more than 80fps max settings at that res.
I think ps5 performance mode is around up to 1800p and averaging 70fps. That's more pixels but it's probably closer to 1440p in reality due to drs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You obviously don't know the definition of perfect
you sure do buddy.
The guy just fucking showed the differencves in the video, zoomed in... and there are none except grass is a bit better on pc and aloy+water effects is better on ps5.
So how is pc more perfect than ps5 in that case?
Enlighten me

Kacho

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

OverHeat

« generous god »
p8f6J1K.jpg
You want me to congratulate on your "175hz screen"? You got one of them oled widescreens?
You are either lying or are giving me fps with frame generation. You are not doing more than 80fps max settings at that res.
I think ps5 performance mode is around up to 1800p and averaging 70fps. That's more pixels but it's probably closer to 1440p in reality due to drs.
Yeah ultrawide OLED and yes I use framegen why would I not?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I wouldn’t say it did bad. It’s just going against tough competition. Horizon seems to be the second most popular Sony IP on PC after God of War. Uncharted and Last of Us performed poorly.
Oh yeah, I don't think it did bad at all. I just always felt like the IP is just not nearly as "up there" as others. But I also never checked numbers and stats. Just going off of what I've seen without looking for it.

danklord

Gold Member
you sure do buddy.
The guy just fucking showed the differencves in the video, zoomed in... and there are none except grass is a bit better on pc and aloy+water effects is better on ps5.
Enlighten me

The FPS swing and DLAA push PC over the edge and feel significant.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Actually fourth behind Helldivers, Spider-Man, and God of War.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It still does?

Nah, it's doing 1800p checkerboarded which is 1200x1800 with DRS.

No one is picking a fight. You decided to be an idiot by bringing up a comparison thumping your chest as if you had won anything. We already established in the DF thread that PC only scales slightly above PS5. By and large, they look very similar and no one disputed this. Very High doesn't scale much above High either despite being quite a bit more demanding. Better AF, slightly better shadow filtering and a few other little upgrades, but they don't transform the game at all.

Neither is the PS5. A 3060 can do 60fps at 1440p with DLSS Quality. Surely, if 1200x1800 with CBR is "perfect", then you won't complain about 1440p with DLSS, will you?

Literally no one tried to claim the PC version was so much better. We mostly agreed that the port is competent but lacking in terms of visual upgrades.
It doesn't matter in most cases. Most games have it at least at x4

I decided to pick a fight because there is a detailed comparison I found interesting to show in the face of these pcmr bastards claiming superiority again when there is none on image quality basis or it's very slight only thanks to dlss.

Are we sure it's 1800c? Anyway. checkerboarding is not too bad. Kinda makes the point mute if we can't really say.
I remember checking myself that 40fps mode looked 1800p and performance looked 1440p. So it is probably just cherboarding. My mistake

3060 can't do 60fps at max settings 1440p with ultra dlss. I checked some vids and it's closer to 50.

Senua

you sure do buddy.
Enlighten me
1. you are comparing from a compressed youtube video

2. native 4k with DLAA, not to mention DLDSR will look better than the mediocre TAA used on PS5

JlOw0FL.gif

Gaiff

It doesn't matter in most cases. Most games have it at least at x4
Most games on consoles, sure.

v3gQ4L8.png

I decided to pick a fight because there is a detailed comparison I found interesting to show in the face of these pcmr bastards claiming superiority again when there is none on image quality basis or it's very slight only thanks to dlss.
So, you literally decided to pick a fight like a big baby for something no one ever claimed? I even state this in the DF thread OP. The PC version is the PS5 version but scales slightly above the PS5 version all the way down to below the PS4 version
Are we sure it's 1800c? Anyway. checkerboarding is not too bad. Kinda makes the point mute if we can't really say.
Yes, it's 1800p checkerboard with DRS.
3060 can't do 60fps at max settings 1440p with ultra dlss. I checked some vids and it's closer to 50.
PS5 uses High settings which barely look any different from Very High. Turn on DRS with 1440p DLSS and you actually got a better image quality than 1800p checkerboard and similar performance. Something like a 2070S is enough to give you an experience similar to the PS5. There's no win for anyone. It's a competent port that is lacking in visual upgrades and that's that. You don't need a suped up rig to match the PS5.

Last edited:

Bond007

Love me my Sony games.
The exception is Horizon- i wish it was more linear in a sense like Last of Us. I cant stick with the long/ubisoft vibe of things to do.
I like the story and visuals- gameplay is fine. Just too AC for me.

Just not for me

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
1. you are comparing from a compressed youtube video

2. native 4k with DLAA, not to mention DLDSR will look better than the mediocre TAA used on PS5

JlOw0FL.gif
You are crazy. Comparing from compressed yt video?
The guy is describing the differences and zooming in. His vids are the best DIRECT COMPARISONS.
I realize native 4k DLAA looks better. But their native solution is good too. It's not mediocre you silly bastard.
Most games on consoles, sure.

v3gQ4L8.png

So, you literally decided to pick a fight like a big baby for something no one ever claimed? I even state this in the DF thread OP. The PC version is the PS5 version but scales slightly above the PS5 version all the way down to below the PS4 version

Yes, it's 1800p checkerboard with DRS.

PS5 uses High settings which barely look any different from Very High. Turn on DRS with 1440p DLSS and you actually got a better image quality than 1800p checkerboard and similar performance. Something like a 2070S is enough to give you an experience similar to the PS5. There's no win for anyone. It's a competent port that is lacking in visual upgrades and that's that. You don't need a suped up rig to match the PS5.
the difference you show is very minimal. It barely matters and there are less and less flat places like that to actually ever notice it.
I decided to pick a fight because of claims disregarding ps5 image quality. The comparison shows otherwise. That's all. Not talking about fps etc. And "pick a fight" is a bit much honestly.
3060 and 2070 are very similar to ps5 performance levels. Of course they will match performance if you lower settings, lower resolution (dlss) and so on. it's a pc

Gaiff

the difference you show is very minimal. It barely matters and there are less and less flat places like that to actually ever notice it.
If you're going to be dishonest, just say so.
I decided to pick a fight because of claims disregarding ps5 image quality. The comparison shows otherwise. That's all. Not talking about fps etc. And "pick a fight" is a bit much honestly.
3060 and 2070 are very similar to ps5 performance levels. Of course they will match performance if you lower settings, lower resolution (dlss) and so on. it's a pc
You don't lower settings. You run the game at High which is what Performance Mode on PS5 runs the game at. You then use 1440p DLSS with DRS instead of 1800p CBR with DRS because CBR isn't available on PC and DLSS is better anyway. The end result is image quality and performance on a 3060/2070S that are comparable or better than PS5's Performance Mode.

No one ever said this game is zomg! so much superior graphically on PC. It gets a nice image quality boost thanks to DLAA/DLSS, a good AF enhancement and some minor improvements. It runs well and looks good on both platforms so I have no idea why you decided to be a dick about it.

Last edited:
Love me my Sony games.
The exception is Horizon- i wish it was more linear in a sense like Last of Us. I cant stick with the long/ubisoft vibe of things to do.
I like the story and visuals- gameplay is fine. Just too AC for me.

Just not for me

This is why I just skip most of the open world stuff. I do the same with the AC games. I just want the story and treat them like linear games. Open world games don't have to be played like open world games.

GymWolf

To each their own, but I thought the haptics and adaptive triggers were done very well in this game. Seems a shame to miss out.
I already completed the game on ps5 with the ds5 so i haven't missed out, but many modern controllers have good haptics, not on the level of the ds5 maybe, but i don't give much of a damn about vibrations when i play, so...

I disabled the adaptive triggers after 30 sec try of astrobot demo on my first day with a ps5 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also, you can use the dual sense on pc if you want, i just prefer 2 back button that are actually useful and asymettric sticks over the "immersion" gimmicks.

Last edited:
The pc fanboys are getting worse than xbox fan boys....now it's gone from list wars, to feature wars of games that were ported 2 years later.

" Our PCs runs the game better than the ps5"

April Fools Day Car GIF

No shit, you paid more than double the price of a ps5 for you pc, so I dont see what that proves, but using revisionist history to say the game didnt look, or play great on the ps5 is just cringe. It's still a great experience on the ps5.

This is like someone buying a Lamborghini Aventador laughing at a guy in a BMW at a stop light. The speed of the Lamborghini does not negate the quality driving experience the driver in the BMW gets. Only difference is one driver paid more for his vehicle, but both cars are driving the down the same roads.

GymWolf

Dude, i'm a texture\details whore, even a 10% difference in ground details are welcome for me, but sure, nothing too fancy or noticeable for your average joe, btw on ps5 is 4x.

Gaiff

The pc fanboys are getting worse than xbox fan boys....now it's gone from list wars, to feature wars of games that were ported 2 years later.

April Fools Day Car GIF

No shit, you paid more than double the price of a ps5 for you pc, so I dont see what that proves, but using revisionist history to say the game didnt look, or play great on the ps5 is just cringe. It's still a great experience on the ps5.

This is like someone buying a Lamborghini Aventador laughing at a guy in a BMW at a stop light. The speed of the Lamborghini does not negate the quality driving experience the driver in the BMW gets. Only difference is one driver paid more for his vehicle, but both cars are driving the down the same roads.
Boombox Shut Up GIF

GymWolf

Dude i can manage 100 fps with dlaa and framegen in 4k, you should at least get 120 locked, probably even more if you use dlss quality, dlaa and dlss quality are extremely similar in this game, i switched back and forth and at least on an oled tv the difference is very low.

1440p with your build is just wrong.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well, many modern controllers have good haptics, not on the level of the ds5 maybe, but i don't give much of a damn about vibrations when i play, so...

I disabled the adaptive triggers after 30 sec try of astrobot demo on my first day with a ps5 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also, you can use the dual sense on pc if you want, i just prefer 2 back button that are actually useful and asymettric sticks over the "immersion" gimmicks.
it's not vibrations. nothing is comparable but you do you.
I would've preferred asymmetric too but I got used to symmetrical after moving to ps4.
How is that possible though if PS5 image quality is perfect
Because it is good enough to be called perfect. DLAA would be much better compared to native 4k but guerilla AA solution is good.
Dude, i'm a texture\details whore, even a 10% difference in ground details are welcome for me, but sure, nothing too fancy or noticeable for your average joe, btw on ps5 is 4x.
and so am I and these differences go right above my head. Consoles and pc ports got so similar that, maybe with age, I just can't be bothered to look for this super pristine DLAA anymore.
It is something I would consider an upgrade but not something I would consider worth thinking about or waiting for pc port/buying the game again.

I think FF16 port has a chance to benefit from pc version DLSS/DLAA way mroe than HFW. that is imo the best looking ps5 game and 4k30 mode does have some rather poor AA at times. I mean, at least it's sharp and not blurry but doesn't resolve everything I would like.

and so am I and these differences go right above my head. Consoles and pc ports got so similar that, maybe with age, I just can't be bothered to look for this super pristine DLAA anymore.
It is something I would consider an upgrade but not something I would consider worth thinking about or waiting for pc port/buying the game again.
I'm the same way the differences are just to little for me to care. When I switched from BG3 on PC to PS5 sure I noticed the difference. It was to small for me to care about though and I finished the game on my PS5.

Senua

April Fools Day Car GIF

Stop being so insecure dude

Perfect = excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement

I know its almost friday, but its too early to be drunk.
It's like arguing with a potato

Last edited:

GymWolf

it's not vibrations. nothing is comparable but you do you.
I would've preferred asymmetric too but I got used to symmetrical after moving to ps4.

Because it is good enough to be called perfect. DLAA would be much better compared to native 4k but guerilla AA solution is good.

I think FF16 port has a chance to benefit from pc version DLSS/DLAA way mroe than HFW. that is imo the best looking ps5 game and 4k30 mode does have some rather poor AA at times. I mean, at least it's sharp and not blurry but doesn't resolve everything I would like.
It is vibration, just a more precise one, let's not bend out of shape with the exagerated praises please.

I forget that it's even there 30 sec inside the game when it's not downright annoying and i have to tone it down.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I’ve come to change my tune on the aloy issue lately.

Most women without make up look kinda mid or even a little like effimenent men. It is rare for a woman to look like what we consider an 8 plus without at least a little bit of the stuff. It’s why it is so popular and ubiquitous in our society.

In a society like aloy’s it doesn’t really make since for her to wear make up so the devs are between a rock and a hard place for her looks. Garuntee if they dolled her up she would look as good as the Korean game chicks, or Jill, or Ada Wong.

By the way, if you ever find a woman who you think is beautiful without make up, and she isn’t insane, then marry her. Cuz that’s what you see 90% of the time in relationships after the honeymoon phase.

Last edited:

Kacho

April Fools Day Car GIF

You’ve been saving that one for a while. Bet you feel better now.

King Dazzar

I already completed the game on ps5 with the ds5 so i haven't missed out, but many modern controllers have good haptics, not on the level of the ds5 maybe, but i don't give much of a damn about vibrations when i play, so...

That's a shame. For me, I think the haptics and adaptive triggers are one of the best things to happen this gen and definitely not a gimmick. I think its amazing what they've done. I love them. Its very much an each to their own then.

I love the fine tuning stuff that can be done with the edge and I'm using the two back paddles. But I also loved the 4 back paddles on the Elite controller. But I ended up using 4 very different custom paddles to get the sweet spot. So it is swings and roundabouts. With HFW I loved feeling the bow tension on the adaptive triggers and the haptics when crawling through long grass. As you dont like all that, you'd probably enjoy some of the custom controller options with micro switched instant triggers.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think the dozen or so ports have shown that there is little to no demand for Sony games on PC. There are some rare exceptions like helldivers 2 but everything from cinematic gow, uncharted, tlou to open world stuff like horizon, days gone and death stranding and everything in between like returnal and sackboy have essentially been rejected by the PC audience who have embraced console focused games like Dark Souls, Hogwarts, Dragons Dogma, RE4, and Elden Rings.

Sony needs to just release their GaaS titles on PC and keep the rest to console. They are diluting the brand and these poor sales simply rob these big sellers on PS5 of their mystique. If people see these underwhelming sales/concurrent numbers they will associate it with quality or lack thereof. At some point you have to stop looking at the profit margins, and simply look at the impact this might have on the brand itself. Sony prides itself upon GOTY caliber games with a certain level of panache. If these games continue to land like duds on PC then all that work spent on cultivating quality and making every game an event equivalent to a fucking James Cameron or Nolan movie goes to waste. And it becomes just another release sent out to die.

SlimySnake

I agree with T4keD0wN T4keD0wN
The only potato here is the one in your ass
You cannot be this dumb
If you guys have to resort to these insults then its clear that there is no point in discussing this further. either move on or put each other on ignore.

These childish insults bring down the level of discourse on the forum and will eventually end up with mods getting involved and they already have too much on their plate. lets just police ourselves and take the high road.

learn from era. their stellar blade thread had men acting like bitches snitching on each other and insulting each other. you guys had your fun. now lets move on.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you guys have to resort to these insults then its clear that there is no point in discussing this further. either move on or put each other on ignore.

These childish insults bring down the level of discourse on the forum and will eventually end up with mods getting involved and they already have too much on their plate. lets just police ourselves and take the high road.

learn from era. their stellar blade thread had men acting like bitches snitching on each other and insulting each other. you guys had your fun. now lets move on.
k
V00zkWb.jpeg

Bond007

This is why I just skip most of the open world stuff. I do the same with the AC games. I just want the story and treat them like linear games. Open world games don't have to be played like open world games.

I essentially treat these games pretty linear in my playstyle. But ultimately feel like its too long and i refuse to force my self to finish it if im not feeling it. Its a shame, its a good game and i like most things about it.
Basically i respect them and appreciate its goodness. Just not for me lmao

Kacho

I think the dozen or so ports have shown that there is little to no demand for Sony games on PC. There are some rare exceptions like helldivers 2 but everything from cinematic gow, uncharted, tlou to open world stuff like horizon, days gone and death stranding and everything in between like returnal and sackboy have essentially been rejected by the PC audience who have embraced console focused games like Dark Souls, Hogwarts, Dragons Dogma, RE4, and Elden Rings.
That's not entirely true. PC gamers have certainly rejected Uncharted and Sackboy but Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War all sold millions. Who knows how many more they sold on GOG. That's not bad for old ass ports.

Bloodborne is the only port I think would overperform, simply because the Souls community is massive and always hungry for more.

SlimySnake

That's not entirely true. PC gamers have certainly rejected Uncharted and Sackboy but Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War all sold millions. Who knows how many more they sold on GOG. That's not bad for old ass ports.

Bloodborne is the only port I think would overperform, simply because the Souls community is massive and always hungry for more.
Someone posted the concurrent users and everything has been on a downward trend since GOW. GOW sold a million. HZD sold two million. but since then, the games seems to sell fewer and fewer copies with every release.

HFW doing half of HZD just shows that the demand has died down considerably.

Only Spiderman, GOW and the og Horizon have done more than 50k which isnt even that great.

playstation-steamdb.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom