• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West releases on Steam with lower player count than Horizon: Zero Dawn

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yesterday was the official launch of Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition on PC, which is now available through Steam and the Epic Games Store, but the game had a poor launch on Steam. According to data shared by SteamDB, Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition reached a peak of 25,258 simultaneous players 16 hours ago (the number may rise over the weekend).

With this result, Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition failed to beat the first game, Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition, which registered 56,557 simultaneous players at launch. Forbidden West was even behind Days Gone, with 27,450.

105524.png

On the other hand, Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition managed to beat Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves, which had 10,851 simultaneous players at launch.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This thread is certainly premature. For one, games tend to peak during their first weekend, and for two, this is coming out right at the same time as Dragon’s Dogma 2 which will likely peak at over 300K+ this weekend.

Concurrent players is a pointless metric imho, unless its an MMO/GaaS. Story driven experiences will grow over time.

Just finished this game recently; give it a 7.5/10. Decent gameplay, great modifications made to suit different play styles. Story is shockingly bad though.. e.g. Regalla's storyline is pure 🥱

Jaybe

Too early for this. Games peak in CCU either their first Sunday or second Sunday, depending on if they are long games and/or whether there is multiplayer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This thread is certainly premature. For one, games tend to peak during their first weekend, and for two, this is coming out right at the same time as Dragon’s Dogma 2 which will likely peak at over 300K+ this weekend.

Agreed. Why is the OP saying something that they know may not be true 48 hours from now?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have only played the first game but it wasn't even subtle... Matriarchal societies, Only white male villains, female geniuses, insane amounts of race mixing. From what I have heard FW has like 50% gay people lol.

Anybody who thinks matriarchal societies and race mixing is "woke" needs to have their brain checked out. Talk about a mental illness. Geez lol.

Rockman33

stop obsessing over steam concurrent numbers, games on pc especially continue to sell for way past their launch day.
Yes, only obsess when a PlayStation studios game does really well, not just okay…. Neogaf has a narrative to spread damnit!

But on a serious note I agree to some degree. Theres so many threads made with about steam concurrent numbers…. On the other hand its reallly the only metric that everyone can see real time for any platform.

vkbest

Sony hurting and ruining their console business for this lol. I said when they announced first Horizon, they will sell less games combined with PC + PS than when they were exclusives. People buys exclusive products because they are really exclusive. They are not gaining new consumers, they are losing older ones

Last edited:

Rockman33

Besides being premature, it's normal that a sequel sells less than the previous videogame, book, or movie.
For books and movies I agree. For video games the first 1-2 sequels generally sell better.

Uncharted, Spiderman, GOW, Halo, Gears, Fable, grand turismo, forza horizon, fallout, elder scrolls, GTA, etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
Sony hurting and ruining their console business for this lol. I said when they announced first Horizon, they will sell less games combined with PC + PS than when they were exclusives. People buys exclusive products because they are really exclusive. They are not gaining new consumers, they are losing older ones

This doesn’t make sense. They are undoubtedly net positive with the customer base when they make these ports. There’s nobody refusing to buy a game they like simply because it isn’t console exclusive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom