• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West releases on Steam with lower player count than Horizon: Zero Dawn

They need to go day and date with these releases to make any real profit like with helldivers 2. but they also know it will affect their console sales even more.

Yes, so they won't. And that's the point. Only GAAS is day and date.

It also adds enormous amounts of stress to their first party teams to try and coordinate for a multiplatform PC release day and date.

They need to go day and date with these releases to make any real profit like with helldivers 2. but they also know it will affect their console sales even more.

Probably shouldve just stuck with the console business instead of trying to get a slice of that PC pie.

These numbers for their single player games shipping 2 years after launch are pretty underwhelming.

playstation-steamdb.jpg

We shouldn't look at peak player counts for single player games. That's totally disingenuous. They've sold a lot of copies of Spiderman, Horizon, and God of War.

Gudji

That’s rich considering you’re the one who posted side by side images proving me right.

But keep digging your hole deeper, clown.
The only thing I proved is that this forum as some really crazy people in it. HFW model has more polygons and detail, the overall model of Aloy is identical to the first game.

I have only played the first game but it wasn't even subtle... Matriarchal societies, Only white male villains, female geniuses, insane amounts of race mixing. From what I have heard FW has like 50% gay people lol.
That's not woke bro, that's diversity, woke means you're aware of injustice happening to minority communities by the system, mixing both is dangerous, stop living in right wing propaganda never good for you

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Reaching? You literally just posted video evidence of the significant changes they made to her face model between games. If you can’t see them, I suggest making a visit to an optometrist.
The only "significant change" is that her model/skin texture is higher quality. Saying that somehow she looks more masculine is a big reach.

Not surprised, it’s a mediocre jank ass game, actually the only reason I think it’s doing better than uUncharted is because who the hell wants to play the fourth game in a story driven series without playing the first three.

Last edited:

Neofire

Exclusive things are inherently more valuable. The brand is perceived as stronger.

To me, the mediocre PC sales don't justify the losses in branding. For MP and GaaS or VR, yes, PC day 1, single-player AAA should be only on Playstation consoles.
I agree with most of your statement but blockbuster IPs that move ps5 units for Sony should stay exclusive, imo only GaaS(yeah I know)should be multiplatform with Sonys platforms taking priority.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Woke games are not exactly hot shit these days. Also:
rkwlhnX.jpg

Why do people like posting this fake image? As if Aloy actually looked that way in Forbidden West. Yall can't see that this is a lie?

This includes Far Cry 5, The Crew, For Honor, The Division and AC Black Flag?

No. But you also just listed Ubisoft's best selling games of all time. And they were ALL multiplatform. Horizon: FW isn't.

ProtoByte

For essentially free money, yes. Many of these projects take less than $2.5M to port.
Free money today comes with a cost tomorrow.

It's not a game changer, but it probably adds an incremental amount to their margins and stabilizes cash flow between console release
It hasn't and will not transform the situation they're in. 4 years of PC ports hasn't stopped them from laying people off like everyone else, and internally racing to get things fixed because margins are slim.

mckmas8808

The second game was less successful than the first on PS right? Seems reasonable for that to carry over to PC also.

Mainly due to Sony putting it on PS+ too early. We've seen the numbers from the leak. We know the truth.

tmlDan

This is what PC gamers wanted, seems like the SP games might not come at all after all if they don't buy it. Stick to GaaS and online games for PC day one.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not even close. But it does sell twice to three times better than another Ubisoft game.

You sure gamers are fatigue on the series? You sure?

I think it's performing considerably worse than the first across the board isn't it?

It felt like it went on sale crazy fast in the UK. Supermarkets like Tesco were selling it for £15 the November of its launch year. That's like a quarter of the price.

DaGwaphics

Mainly due to Sony putting it on PS+ too early. We've seen the numbers from the leak. We know the truth.

Weren't the sales already down before the inclusion there, launch aligned? Sometimes an IP just loses a little steam. From some of what you hear about it, I'd expect a third game to do a little worse still, seems like a franchise that people like but can tire of.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Weren't the sales already down before the inclusion there, launch aligned? Sometimes an IP just loses a little steam. From some of what you hear about it, I'd expect a third game to do a little worse still, seems like a franchise that people like but can tire of.

No it wasn't. We saw the chart in the hacks. They were basically the same launch aligned. It was PS+ that hurt the sales of FW. It's the same thing that MS sees each time they release a first party game. The subscription service kills the sales of games. Nothing new was learned.

daninthemix

It's currently #4 in the global top sellers (right underneath Helldivers 2), so when people actually start playing it things might change.

Just my gut feeling here, it's too expensive on the PC market. It's gotta be an amazing game for me to spend more than $45 on it.

$60 USD on PC is asking a lot.

Gudji

Just my gut feeling here, it's too expensive on the PC market. It's gotta be an amazing game for me to spend more than $45 on it.

Almost every AAA game now is around 65 USD. Starfield was like 70 USD/Euros from what I recall.

Think it's a really fair price considering the quality of the game and that it also includes the DLC that came out recently.

Will not buy full price tho because I already own it on PS5 (and I think my PC might not be able to run it properly :messenger_grinning_sweat: ).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

No it wasn't. We saw the chart in the hacks. They were basically the same launch aligned. It was PS+ that hurt the sales of FW. It's the same thing that MS sees each time they release a first party game. The subscription service kills the sales of games. Nothing new was learned.

I think that makes far too bold of an assumption of where the sales would have gone anyway. The first game announced this as a new IP, anything short of the second release being noticeably faster selling could in reality be looked at as a decline. The built in audience that purchased and loved the first one should convert quickly and fuel strong sales of the second, unless a lot of those that bought the first one weren't sure if they were interested in another. Which is basically the definition of an IP that might be declining. There was no guarantee that this ever had the tail the first one had, no guarantee the other way either, but the point still stands.

With that said, maybe for Sony they will wait longer to put games on a sub. EA has been doing a year or so and says the result are positive for them, and they've been doing that for years. But, perhaps Sony's games take a little longer to max out their traditional sales.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Horizon: Forbidden West releases on Steam with lowe player count than than Zero: Dawn​

Gee, I wonder why...:messenger_smirking:

Sony is just stupid af and must hate this IP, cuz I can't think of any reason but this for them to release the game (and ports) each time alongside huge new releases. And let's not forget that Steam Spring sale just ended and people bought a bunch of shit cheap and probably have no plans on buying anything else, let alone full price game from 2 years ago.

If I were working at Guerrilla and had a say, I would've demanded from Sony to let studio decide when the game will be released, after so many horrible marketing decision and suicidal release dates.

Last edited:
Almost every AAA game now is around 65 USD. Starfield was like 70 USD/Euros from what I recall.

Think it's a really fair price considering the quality of the game and that it also includes the DLC that came out recently.

For sure, but the PC space is almost universally cheaper, so full-pricing a two year old game is at least, anecdotally, why some may not buy it on release. I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I've set an under $30 alert on IsThereAnyDeal.

Meanwhile Dragon's Dogma 2 at 70$ with almost 10x more players than Horizon.

The fact that it's 2 years old hurts sales that's true, and the terrible word of mouth this saga has, specially the second part, doesn't help.

Top Bottom