• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Prestige became a decade old this week. Where's the love here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the-prestige.14577.jpg

One of Nolan's best flicks IMO. Almost criminal how people don't talk much about it. Stellar casting. Beautiful set pieces. A legendary level of 4D chess of a plot. What's not to love?

Crazy how 2006 had 3 different movies about magicians, though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Top 50 movie for me. Love it. Especially how Nolan tells you exactly what he is going to do it, and then does it anyway, leaving you utterly satisfied. :)

obin_gam

One of Nolan's best flicks IMO. Almost criminal how people don't talk much about it. Stellar casting. Beautiful set pieces. A legendary level of 4D chess of a plot. What's not to love?

Crazy how 2006 had 3 different movies about magicians, though.

What are you talking about? It is loved and revered and has been in plenty of praise discussions.

The three films as well - So this one and The Illusionist, what's the third one?

Fantastic film.

I'm still hooping that Nolan decideds to go back low budget films, he's great at character dramas.

I still think Memento is his best film tho.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nikola Tesla won in the end. Edison can't boast being played by David Bowie!

Edit: This is probably Nolan's favorite film for me if the OP is looking for love. Its his most well balanced, his best written, and everyone puts in work to make it something really special.

Despera

Banned
Incredible, incredible film. One that I always remember when discussing favourite films with friends.

I would even say it was Nolan's best.

Wolverine vs Batman trying to one up each other performing magic tricks. Great movie.

With special guests Alfred, Black Widow, and Klaw.

Crazy how many of these actors went on to work on superhero movies.

Yes, I know Batman Begins predated this.

It did? Huh, I've been playing through Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice this week and after finishing Case 2, which dealt with a magic show, suddenly felt the need to watch this again (which I'll probably get to tomorrow night). Weird coincidence.

Definitely my favourite Nolan movie.

Great film, terrible ending.

Twins?
FUCK OFF

Cloning machine?
FUCK OFF

One half of the ending employed a plot device so hackneyed that it was considered lazy in the 19th century, the other half was basically deus ex machina. Oh he had a machine that did that? Why not have a fucking teleport while he was at it.

Bale's english accent was also awful despite him being english.

Other than that, a good film (that sounds sarcastic but it isn't)

it was ok.

ending was a total cheat though.

Ah, #TeamAngier I see.

One half of the ending employed a plot device so hackneyed that it was considered lazy in the 19th century[/B], the other half was basically deus ex machina. Oh he had a machine that did that? Why not have a fucking teleport while he was at it.

Missed the point of the
twins reveal? It wasn't the trick that was amazing, It was how seriously they were both committed to their art by pretending to be one guy all along. They beat you in the head over this throughout the film.

NJD316

Neo Member
What are you talking about? It is loved and revered and has been in plenty of praise discussions.

The three films as well - So this one and The Illusionist, what's the third one?

Good chance he's talking about not very good British comedy Magicians, but that came out in 2007. Might be a different 2006 film thought, unsure.

daveo42

Banned
I think Memento edges it out, but it's up there.

Memento is great on the initial watch, but is also a movie that is hard to go back to once you know what's actually happening. It has more to do with how simple the story actually is than anything else for me.

Ferr986

Ending was a little too crazy to me, but that's a given with Nolan films.

Otherwise a really good movie.

I'm still not sure how to feel about the introduction of
"real magic" slash made-up science
at the end of the movie.

Yeah that is my (only) problem with the movie
I liked the twins though
. Same as with Interestellar really.

Ending was a little too crazy to me, but that's a given with Nolan films.
I actually think the ending of The Prestige is rather clean and restrained, at least by comparison to all the batshit stuff that goes down in Interstellar and Inception. I mean, what's
a single cloning machine
as compared to all the convoluted psuedo-science that a person has to accept in those other films? When the device is revealed to be real in The Prestige the viewer sees it and understands immediately, whereas his other films need whole scenes of exposition explaining how everything fits together.

Ah, #TeamAngier I see.

Missed the point of the
twins reveal? It wasn't the trick that was amazing, It was how seriously they were both committed to their art by pretending to be one guy all along. They beat you in the head over this throughout the film.

yeah but the film is still set up as a good, old fashioned mystery. How does whathisname do the trick? It's a big part of the film. You explain it away as being of lessor importance than what they sacrificed blah blah blah but the use of that particular plot device is essentially narrative cheating whatever the context. It's not big and it's not clever.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The ending is one of the entire points of the film and the entire film builds up to it. Yes its "out of nowhere" some respects but the story, the focus and everything about how its filmed and directed leads up to that ending. Hell the very first scene of the movie basically "spoils" the ending its just you have no clue upon first watch that this is happening. The whole film hints and teases the big twists in the movie, some more obviously than others, and even the themes of the movie tie into this with how far characters were willing to go in their attempt to be the "best" and to have an unbeatable trick.

Great film, terrible ending.

Twins?
FUCK OFF

Cloning machine?
FUCK OFF

One half of the ending employed a plot device so hackneyed that it was considered lazy in the 19th century, the other half was basically deus ex machina. Oh he had a machine that did that? Why not have a fucking teleport while he was at it.

Bale's english accent was also awful despite him being english.

Other than that, a good film (that sounds sarcastic but it isn't)

The cloning machine never worked.

New002

I love this movie so much. Watched it again recently after not having seen it for a few years and I felt like I still picked up on fun little details. Good times.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Really great movie. My fave Christopher Nolan movie.

I don't remember any Tesla roles in any other movies, but I'm pretty sure this will be my favorite Tesla impersonation favorite of all time, even if there are others.

Bowie captured the mysteriousness of Tesla perfectly and effortlessly. I'm glad he took the role (specially because the person who did the casting practically begged him because he didn't know who else could fit in the role).

Yeah, probably my favorite Nolan film. So tightly written and well acted.

I'd rank Nolan's films as such:

1. The Prestige
2. Batman Begins
3. Inception
4. The Dark Knight
5. Interstellar
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Memento
8. Insomnia
9. Following

One of my favorite movies. Just another point to the people that say it's the best Nolan film, hold this L famos.

Bale and Nolan need to reunite to bring us more of their greatness.

yeah but the film is still set up as a good, old fashioned mystery. How does whathisname do the trick? It's a big part of the film. You explain it away as being of lessor importance than what they sacrificed blah blah blah but the use of that particular plot device is essentially narrative cheating whatever the context. It's not big and it's not clever.
How is this narrative cheating? I feel like some people just use phrases for the sake it. Ending was fantastic, and I feel duped for not seeing it with all the hints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom