• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The questionable price disparity between NS and PS4/XOne software

gtj1092

Might be an unpopular opinion, but even if we ignore the cartridge costs, I don't have a problem with it. We're talking about vastly different markets, and simple economics, here.

The PS4 has an install base of over 50 million. Xbox One is around 30 million. Switch is what? 2 million right now. That's a much smaller customer base to spread costs across. And there's also much less competition on the Switch, which means that publishers don't have the same pressure to price low for competitive reasons.

It's similar to how a store like Walmart can have razor thin margins and still be profitable on volume, while a neighborhood bodega in a rural area will need to charge more per unit to break even.

Ironically, gamers take advantage of the same principles when they sign to for Best Buy and Amazon's gamer clubs, but you don't hear any of them complaining about how the Mom and Pop shops charge $12 more a game.

If the market won't support the higher price tag for Switch consoles, publishers will have to adjust.

It's business, and I think people take it way too personally, and as way too much of an affront to Switch owners, when the eshop is still for all intents and purposes a boutique storefront relative the competition. As that changes, it will make more sense for publishers to charge less and sell more.

This is the answer.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lol people think carts costs that much more than Blu-ray discs

BD25s cost less than 75 cents in large quantities.

Carts (or in this case Memory Cards) have always been MUCH more expensive than disc based media.
I remember all the way back in the fall of 1996 when i got my N64 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy was released on it and the PS1. The PS1 version was $50 and the N64 version was $60 or maybe even $70.

All third-party N64 games at that time were at least $69.99 MSRP.

MTC100

Banned
Disgaea 5 Complete is actually less expensive now at 45 Euro than buying the PS4 game and all the DLC that is included in the complete edition. -Also you have everything without installing it on the go.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Offtopic; heh, thanks to you I only now've heard of Sine Mora Ex - really enjoyed that game in the past, a pleasant little romp. Glad to see it come to PS4/Switch.

Shin-Ra

I think it really just goes back to the N64 vs PS1 pricing days.
If Switch game cards still uniquely enabled near-instantaneous loading like N64 ROMs and had ample onboard save/DLC storage (something planned but failed to materialise for Vita cards) higher media and overall game costs would be much easier to swallow.

yyr

Can't really use the "carts are more expensive" argument if it's still the same price digitally.

I'm pretty sure we already heard that publishers are mandated on Switch to charge the same price for physical and digital versions.

SalvaPot

Ah, you see, you pay more because you are paying for TWO versions, the handheld and the home version! All in one console! Did I say console? I mean experience!

If you see it this way its a great deal guys ,).

BiggNife

Cartridge cost is an easy excuse for publishers but the real reason is that publishers can get away with it because we're still in the launch window and people are willing to pay extra just to have something to play.

I think a year from now we're going to see this practice go away because it'll actually start to hurt sales. Once the Switch has a healthy library, consumers won't be so willing to lay extra.

E: Also to people saying they believe the cartridge argument because that's what developers/publishers have said... Do you really think they'd ever honestly say "we're doing it because we can?" That's why I can't take the cartridge reasoning at face value.

oti

Banned
What about digital? I'm afraid that Nintendo won't keep up with the weekly sales that PSN has.

Nintendo does like three sales per year and the discounts are always bad. They're bad because Nintendo doesn't need to discount their games for them to sell.

But that doesn't stop publishers not named Nintendo selling their games at a discount. We've had Snake Pass and Bomberman sales so far. Snake Pass was 40%, Bomberman I don't know.

So don't expect big sweeping sales like Sony does. Some games will totally get sales here and there though.

Rncewind

some tasty premium handheld games, and ithought 40 € baseline for 3ds was expensive!

like other mention it is probally early buyer tax, was pretty much the same with other consoles, at least here in europe

shiftcaps

Neo Member
New console + not many games released + greedy retailers = price gouging...

Simple as that really.

If by "simple as that," you mean "fundamental misunderstanding of what the term price gouging actually means," then yes, it is as simple as that.

Price gouging relates to necessities - food, gas, lumber, ice, etc. - particularly in emergency situations. If a hurricane is rapidly approaching and stores sell jugs of water for $100 each (or more specifically, for a price that grossly exceeds the average price of that item 30 days earlier), that's price gouging. When Martin Shkreli jacks up the price of HIV medication by 5,000% overnight because patients' only other alternative is death, that's price gouging.

As long as an item is not an absolute necessity, everyone always have the right to say no.

No one's going to die or be put in imminent danger if they choose not the pay the extra $10 to make an electronic knight battle electronic goblins on their new portable toy.

Type40

Like stated may times it's the media cost. Publishers had to pay Nintendo $18 a peice for blank GBC cartridges in the late 90's. Nintendo always gets their cut.

Cause it's neat info here are some cart sizes.
Nintendo
DS/DSi: 8–512 MB
3DS: 128 MB–8 GB
Nintendo Switch: 1–32 GB

No clear details on vita but reports list 2-4GB.

Reminds me of the days when N64 games cost more than PS1 games lol.
SNES games used to be $80-100 in Canada. Pretty standard all big new games were always $99.99. I remember Microplay wanted $125 or something for a Chrono Trigger pre-order lol was still $99.99 at Zellers though.

I still remember first time I went to a Costco and saw a PS1 and saw its games were like $60 haha I couldn't believe my eyes. 'Whaaa?! You mean I can get TWO games for Christmas now?! :D'

haimon

Thank you for breaking the costs down in an easy to understand way. Seems a bit on the expensive side, but I trust Nintendo to always do what's in the best interest of consumers.
I hope this is sarcasm...

If not bwahahahahahaha

Marceles

Publishers thinking they can charge more because its a new platform. Early adopters will eat it because they want new content. It won't last.

This. I don't think it has anything to do with cartridges, it's a new platform so they'll treat most releases which has been on another console as it never releasing until now.

Zambayoshi

Nintendo controls the price of the cartridges supplied to publishers, since they are proprietary. Blu-rays are not.

It's not just greedy publishers who are the problem here (although, to be fair, the publisher will cash in to a greater or lesser extent on having one of the few current offerings on the Switch).

Cuningas de Häme;244936327 said:
Also, FIFA will be the same price for all platforms. One would think that EA would want to make as much money as possible with the Switch version (ME, anyone?)...
I admire your confidence here, but looking back the last few years I've seen nothing to indicate this.

Seik

Banned
Lol people think carts costs that much more than Blu-ray discs

Yes?

One is a decade old media, mass produced since years and usable on many platforms.

The other is a new proprietary media exclusive to one console that came out 5 months ago.

Do the math.

robochimp

Nintendo has created value in Switch's switching ability. If I'm picnicking between a Switch version and PS4 version. I'll gladly pay more for the Switch version.

Yes?

One is a decade old media, mass produced since years and usable on many platforms.

The other is a new proprietary media exclusive to one console that came out 5 months ago.

Do the math.

They don't cost anything like $20 per unit more though. It's more like 5 cents per blu-ray disc and 80 cents per card (completely pulled out of my ass). So the difference in price of the game does not exactly reflect the difference in price of the media.

Early adopters are not price conscious or demanding towards value. Switch software is apparently selling well so you'd have to say the publishers strategy is working out well.

GRaider81

I don't mind a little Switch tax if the reasons are "cart costs" but £10-20 difference is way too much and really we should see a bit more price parity when buying digitally.

My Switch library is still very small despite there being loads of games id like, but I refuse to pay silly prices for games I can get for considerably less on other platforms.

Paying £15 for the privilege of having it portable isnt good enough.

For now my Switch will remain for Nintendo exclusives.

Shiggy

Seems to affect pretty much all retail games in the 20-30 EUR range, regardless of publisher:

Puyo Puyo Tetris
Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure
Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition
Rayman Legends
LEGO Worlds
Sine Mora EX
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
This is the Police
Rime
Monopoly for Nintendo Switch

But yes, Switch cards are more expensive than discs.

Moze

Banned
Nothing to do with the Switch. Everything to do with the publishers rinsing early adopters. It happens every single time.

EvB

I'm sure gamecards add a bit of expense, but it's likely pennies on the dollar compared to how much prices are hiked up.

How do you know?

It literally takes a split second to stamp an optical disc, have you ever tried writing 20GB of data to a flash card?

time=money

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I can't believe there's even a debate about this...

How do you know?

It literally takes a split second to stamp an optical disc, have you ever tried writing 20GB of data to a flash card?

time=money

You think they're doing this one card at a time or something?

Top Bottom